Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Garman

Thanks for the encouragement younganne! I recently got myself a decent bike so planning on doing 4 days running per week and 2 days cycling I hope the cycling will improve my fitness but also ease any niggles I build up through the running. This week is all about rest before Sunday just hope the buzz of the crowd will pump me up to push myself to go under that 2hr mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Just wondering what the mentors' advice would be on training when sick?
    Ran 3 miles yesterday and at times it felt a little harder than it should have done. Woke up this morning with a crappy cold (or possibly man-flu, or possibly just hayfever+ slightly achey shoulders / back. :() I wouldn't be sick enough to stay home from work (if I was working :rolleyes:)
    My training schedule for the week is 3 + 3pace + 3 + 6LSR over the weekend. Should I still try to do my 3pace today & 3 tomorrow? I HAVE to be better for the weekend, I've a ball to go to! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Just wondering what the mentors' advice would be on training when sick?
    Ran 3 miles yesterday and at times it felt a little harder than it should have done. Woke up this morning with a crappy cold (or possibly man-flu, or possibly just hayfever+ slightly achey shoulders / back. :() I wouldn't be sick enough to stay home from work (if I was working :rolleyes:)
    My training schedule for the week is 3 + 3pace + 3 + 6LSR over the weekend. Should I still try to do my 3pace today & 3 tomorrow? I HAVE to be better for the weekend, I've a ball to go to! :D

If you're feeling it below the neck then rest is the only course of action, if it's a head cold you can get in the miles but don't push yourself. If you have a sore throat DO NOT RUN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

+1 with below the neck rule. I would say it mainly refers to your chest though.
    I did the Dublin half with a head cold and apart from clearing phlegm the odd time, i dont think it really affected me.

I ran the Dublin Marathon with a virus and have been battling post viral fatigue since, there will always be another race, you need to get to know your body and what you can train through and what you shouldn't.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

thanks for the advice Mr Slow.
    Chest is feeling a little congested, so I'll give it a rest for a day or two & hopefully be back on my feet at the weekend.

Apologies in advance if this is a completely idiotic question, but why is it so important not to run if you've a sore throat?

thanks for the advice Mr Slow.
    Chest is feeling a little congested, so I'll give it a rest for a day or two & hopefully be back on my feet at the weekend.

Apologies in advance if this is a completely idiotic question, but why is it so important not to run if you've a sore throat?

There's no stupid questions;), a sore throat indicates something more sinister than a simple head cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

In particular, you should not run if you have problems with your chest - coughing, shortness of breath, stuff like that - or if you have a fever. In both cases your heart could be working harder anyway, and raising your heart rate more by running could cause serious problems.

RayCun wrote: »
    In particular, you should not run if you have problems with your chest - coughing, shortness of breath, stuff like that - or if you have a fever. In both cases your heart could be working harder anyway, and raising your heart rate more by running could cause serious problems.

That'd be below the neck I believe:P:pac:

Luckily most Irish road signs have little pictures on them, so running while illiterate is quite safe :p

• Advertisement

Luckily most Irish road signs have little pictures on them, so running while illiterate is quite safe :p

Do they have little pictures of a pedantic bearded dude wagging his finger too? :P

"Pedantic bearded dude with a heelstrike", my full title please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Younganne wrote: »
    By the time the Marathon training plan starts in June you should be able to comfortable do week 1 of Hals Novice 1 plan, thats 3 x 3m runs and 1 x 6m run...if you are not at that stage then slot into the Hal higdon Spring training plan at week 7 and you will build up to that level jus tin time to start the Marathon training.

Something you should not do is start running 6m if the longest you have run to date is 3m...Goldenrule - build up slowly!!!

Thanks Younganne, yes I can do week one comfortably at this stage. Had built up my LSR (up by 1K per week from 10k) to 15k last weekend. Would you advise not to go any longer than that for LSR for the moment or even reduce it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Garman

Hey guys,
    I'm after having a really good read through the thread from the start and I have to say I have learned an awful lot from the advice that you guys are giving.
    I'm totally new to all this so I'm getting great encouragement from reading about other people in the same position as myself.
    I recently ran the Bohermeen half in 2:01 and The Great Dublin Run 10k in 57mins. Other than that I havent done any other races in my life.
    I will be running the Kildare half this Sunday. I hope to hell I can break that 2hr mark :eek: that would be so sweet.
    I've done fairly well over the past few months usually doing around 4 6-8 mile slow runs per week plus I've built up to a good few LSR's up to 14 miles.
    I'm aiming to start marathon training in 2 weeks time because I've signed up for the Dingle marathon on Sepember 1st and then hope to do the DCM 8 weeks later :eek::eek:
    I'm repeating myself here but it feels crazy even typing that!
    I've been looking at the HH Novice 2 plan and it looks great only thing is its an 18 week plan and I'll be starting it at week 14.
    Will I just slot myself into week 14 or is there something I should do first?
    Also I'm really interested in any feedback re times. I hate to be obsessing about time I'd love to go sub 4:20 but I'd hate to struggle or put myself under extra pressure pushing myself for a good time.
    Sorry for waffling on but as I said I'm new to this and like hearing from like minded people and getting advice from folks who have done it before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jesse Custer

hi, have been humming and hawing about doing the marathon but finally going to bite the bullet and just do it this year!!!

new(ish) to running..have done a few10ks (the best being 56 min) and did the wicklow half marathon last month in 1hr 59. have not done a tap since then so will be starting on a relatively low level but i expect i could do about 8/9 mile with out stopping at the moment!!
    marathon time...my main aim is to finish it without any walk breaks but time wise anything under 4 hrs i'd be happy.

why am i doing it?? well i might try do it for a charity but really i'm getting redundancy at work and will keep me out of the pub depression :) !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dw_newtown

Hey folks I'm Darren, I'm 25, living in Ardee but originally from Meath. I am a Community Sports Leadership student in DKIT and the only problem with that is I'm a tad overweight so i decided to bite the bullet and make it my New Years resoultion for 2012 to run the Dublin Marathon.

I'm in week 4 of the Non-Runners Marathon Trainer and although it says fast walking pace I've been jogging and walking down a 2 mile stretch of pathway twice a week and hoping to do an extra session this weekend with the intention of buliding up to 3 sessions a week.

Week 5 says 5 minutes jog, 5 minutes walk but im pretty sure that i can do a good 8-9 minutes without stopping from rest by next week.

Comments/ Thoughts / Opinions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hmmm. First post on this thread, so excuss me if not quite up to speed, or if the wrong place for this.

Not only am I considering Dublin as my second marathon, but also after a major PB hunt.

First marathon was in Belfast at the weekend, still a little sore in places from it, was aiming for 4 1/2 hrs, ended up doing 4.38, with an average of 10.30 minute miles.

Would I be crazy to even think I could do Dublin in around 4.15, I only ask as went though the 13 mile marker in 2 hours, and the 19 mile marker in Belfast in just over 3 hrs before the wheels really came off, although they did come loose in the 14-15 mile when pulled or strained something in my foot (was doing between 8.50-9.30 minute miles up till that).

I'll be honest, training for Belfast was not the most organised, although I did meet some of the training targets, done a half 7-8 weeks before hand (1.54) and done a solo 20.3 mile run 3 weeks before hand in 3.22, although a cold then kept me off the road till about a week before Belfast.

Thoughts appreciated.

Edit. Added questions and answers

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    2011. 5km - 23 min. Warriors Run (15km multi terrian) - 90 min. 8km - 48 min.
    2012. 10 mile - 88 min. Half Marathon and Marathon as above.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    Ocassionally on all distances.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Very inconsistance. Training this year was 2-4 times a week. Some times 5-10km runs in the week, and longer at weekends. Did circuits the odd time, would like to try and introduce this again now, with also cycling and trail running as planning warriors run again this year and contimplating gaelforce.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    dream is 4hrs. Realistic is 4.15-4.20.

How many days a week can you train?
    3-4

Why are you running this marathon?
    A PB hunt.

With a solid program and the injury Gods playing nice there's no reason that you couldn't break 4:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

irish-stew wrote: »
    Hmmm. First post on this thread, so excuss me if not quite up to speed, or if the wrong place for this.

Not only am I considering Dublin as my second marathon, but also after a major PB hunt.

First marathon was in Belfast at the weekend, still a little sore in places from it, was aiming for 4 1/2 hrs, ended up doing 4.38, with an average of 10.30 minute miles.

Would I be crazy to even think I could do Dublin in around 4.15, I only ask as went though the 13 mile marker in 2 hours, and the 19 mile marker in Belfast in just over 3 hrs before the wheels really came off, although they did come loose in the 14-15 mile when pulled or strained something in my foot (was doing between 8.50-9.30 minute miles up till that).

I'll be honest, training for Belfast was not the most organised, although I did meet some of the training targets, done a half 7-8 weeks before hand (1.54) and done a solo 20.3 mile run 3 weeks before hand in 3.22, although a cold then kept me off the road till about a week before Belfast.

Thoughts appreciated.

Edit. Added questions and answers

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    2011. 5km - 23 min. Warriors Run (15km multi terrian) - 90 min. 8km - 48 min.
    2012. 10 mile - 88 min. Half Marathon and Marathon as above.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    Ocassionally on all distances.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Very inconsistance. Training this year was 2-4 times a week. Some times 5-10km runs in the week, and longer at weekends. Did circuits the odd time, would like to try and introduce this again now, with also cycling and trail running as planning warriors run again this year and contimplating gaelforce.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    dream is 4hrs. Realistic is 4.15-4.20.

How many days a week can you train?
    3-4

Why are you running this marathon?
    A PB hunt.
    Would thinks so alright. I did my first Marathon (DCM) last year in 4:45 and am aiming for 4 hrs this year. Learned a lot by previous experience in terms of preparation and how I ran the race so hope to make big improvements this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

RedRunner wrote: »
    Thanks Younganne, yes I can do week one comfortably at this stage. Had built up my LSR (up by 1K per week from 10k) to 15k last weekend. Would you advise not to go any longer than that for LSR for the moment or even reduce it?

Redrunner, don't reduce it but you continue with it while making sure you're getting in you other 3 runs a week...you'll find that when the time comes to building up the LSR, your base fitness will be improved and it won't take as much out of you... we still have 6 weeks until the start of the plan but you could look at the first 3/4 weeks of the novice plan and do this with repeating the weeks, so week 1-4 and then back week 1-2 and then start the plan with the rest of us on 25th June....
    hi, have been humming and hawing about doing the marathon but finally going to bite the bullet and just do it this year!!!

new(ish) to running..have done a few10ks (the best being 56 min) and did the wicklow half marathon last month in 1hr 59. have not done a tap since then so will be starting on a relatively low level but i expect i could do about 8/9 mile with out stopping at the moment!!
    marathon time...my main aim is to finish it without any walk breaks but time wise anything under 4 hrs i'd be happy.

why am i doing it?? well i might try do it for a charity but really i'm getting redundancy at work and will keep me out of the pub depression :) !!!

Jesse, well done on the races so far...they are great times. As regards restarting the training...6 weeks to the start of marathon plan so build back up slowly to avoid injury...do the last 6 weeks of this plan and it will get you back doing regular running for the start of the plan. I know you ahve run further before but build back up slowly and run slowly too....

dw_newtown wrote: »
    Hey folks I'm Darren, I'm 25, living in Ardee but originally from Meath. I am a Community Sports Leadership student in DKIT and the only problem with that is I'm a tad overweight so i decided to bite the bullet and make it my New Years resoultion for 2012 to run the Dublin Marathon.

I'm in week 4 of the Non-Runners Marathon Trainer and although it says fast walking pace I've been jogging and walking down a 2 mile stretch of pathway twice a week and hoping to do an extra session this weekend with the intention of buliding up to 3 sessions a week.

Week 5 says 5 minutes jog, 5 minutes walk but im pretty sure that i can do a good 8-9 minutes without stopping from rest by next week.

Comments/ Thoughts / Opinions welcome!

Darren, welcome...well done on getting out there and following a plan, just be careful about doing more than any plan ask you too. Every plan is designed to build you up slowly and help you to avoid injury....
    we will be starting this plan on June 25 for 18 weeks to have you able to run the Dublin Marathon on Monday 29th October
    irish-stew wrote: »

Congrats on a great time for the first marathon. make sure you follow recovery plan no for 4 weeks...you are currently in week zero and then start building back up for the start of the 18 weeks plan.

A PB is definitely achievable but for now just work on recovery and the start the new plan...

• Advertisement

^ +1 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I came across this calculator which predicts your time for various distances based on previous runs. I found it and the rest of the site, particularly the "the book" section helpful. Hope some of you will find it of benefit too.

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Anyone getting involved in the Terenure 5mile on Sunday morning! I signed up for it there during the week....

On a weeks holidays from work so itll be plenty of running all week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

doledude86 wrote: »
    Anyone getting involved in the Terenure 5mile on Sunday morning! I signed up for it there during the week....

Best of luck with it, running the Kildare 10km myself tomorrow in the Curragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, running the Kildare 10km myself tomorrow in the Curragh.

That's a nice 10k to do its very flat and a quick. Did the Kildare Half last year and really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Duzzie wrote: »
    I came across this calculator which predicts your time for various distances based on previous runs. I found it and the rest of the site, particularly the "the book" section helpful. Hope some of you will find it of benefit too.

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp

A very good link I personally prefer this to the mcmillan race calculator that most people use as religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

That's a nice 10k to do its very flat and a quick.

Thats what i was hoping, looking for a PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Best of luck tang1 let us all know how you get on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Entered ! No turning back now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Week 1 marathon training done and dusted. All runs nice and slow as prescribed by the wise people on here :). Hope everyone else got on well this week.

How did you get on if you were racing, tough windy conditions out there today :eek:

Advertisement