Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

That has its benefits though, all those hills will do wonders for your leg strength, and the course will seem much flatter on race day.

I downloaded the Novice Hal Higdon app, has anyone else used it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

scriba wrote: »
    Right. I'm still somewhat undecided about doing DCM 2012, as the training peaks when I'm planning to hand in my PhD, but if I don't sign up to the training now, that decision will be taken out of my hands later, regardless!

Hi Scriba,

Put it this way - you started running after I did and are running distances and paces I am still dreaming about :D and I have entered the marathon. So the only issue for you here is the study / PhD. If neccessary use your runs as your break from the study. Even at their peak it's a couple of hours 3 times a week and one LSR. It's certainly doable..

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't worry there have been plenty of folks in the novice group each year who are aiming for 5hrs+ in the Marathon. There'll also be 5hr pacers on the big day itself to help you achieve your goal.

That's very interesting - I didn't know that there would be pacers up at 5hrs. This gives me a lot of hope :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So the only issue for you here is the study / PhD.
    This is a very significant issue that can't be overlooked here. The time commitment in the few weeks/months before a thesis is submitted is quite considerable. I ran my 2nd marathon roughly 2 months after submitting my MSc thesis - I missed a hell of a lot of the training due to working on my thesis, tried to catch up in the remaining time, ended up getting injured, almost missed the marathon (was only cleared 3 days before it to run), and from 19 miles onwards it was an absolute death march. Finished in 4:27, which was actually slower than my first. That was just with a masters thesis to submit, PhD would be a lot worse!

Unpopular option here, but I would strongly suggest that if there is a thesis to be submitted between July and October, don't do DCM this year. Use running for sanity alright, that's really helpful, but pushing yourself to finish a thesis and train for your first marathon at the same time is too much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭Trampas

Younganne wrote: »
    mind the knee, make sure its nothing too serious as if it is and its not sorted it will probably flare up again. Get it checked with Physio
    Good luck with the races..Enjoy them!

Think it was golf which caused it to flare up. Going for a short/slow run on Friday to see how it goes.

Will make a call then.

Normally I would be pushing hard in the race but think time I will be taking it easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Thanks young anne, rainbow kirby and pageant messiah et al. for your input. It's much appreciated! :)
    Unpopular option here, but I would strongly suggest that if there is a thesis to be submitted between July and October, don't do DCM this year. Use running for sanity alright, that's really helpful, but pushing yourself to finish a thesis and train for your first marathon at the same time is too much really.

I'm tending towards this opinion. I have a hideous amount of work still to get through. I'm keeping it as a target, and if everything miraculously comes together sooner, we'll see how it goes. Realistically, it's not very likely. As it is, im going to have to fit most runs into the early morning bracket, which is unknown territory for me! So the plan is to follow a plan, and review the state of affairs each week. It'll certainly help with a few HMs. Worst case scenario, I'll have some decent mileage in my legs for 2013. Still, for now, it's a case of fooling my inner slacker into putting in a few shifts!

Thanks again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

you started running after I did and are running distances and paces I am still dreaming about :D and I have entered the marathon.

You're making tremendous progress, PM, and your desire to do this is all over your training log (which is great!) Once you get used to the distance stuff, you wont know yourself! Ultimately, most of us here are in competition with ourselves. Every extra km or mile is an achievement, as is every second off a previous personal best. But when I think back to five years ago, and the physical state I was in, I feel achievement even in finding runners on my feet as I head out the door. It's why I love running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Most weekends a group meet int he Phoenix park and the date and times are posted here. You could go along and join them!

Anyone that wants to join me in the Park on Saturday morning is more than welcome. Check out the link Anne put up for the meet-ups which is where they are usually organised. I've a 9 mile LSR on the plan this week with a pace of 10:30-ish but can go slower (but not much faster according to our mentor :D). For anyone who has not joined us on these group runs before, please do not feel intimidated. Group runs really do make these LSR's easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

shazkea wrote: »

Most weekends a group meet int he Phoenix park and the date and times are posted here. You could go along and join them!

Anyone that wants to join me in the Park on Saturday morning is more than welcome. Check out the link Anne put up for the meet-ups which is where they are usually organised. I've a 9 mile LSR on the plan this week with a pace of 10:30-ish but can go slower (but not much faster according to our mentor :D). For anyone who has not joined us on these group runs before, please do not feel intimidated. Group runs really do make these LSR's easier.

Where is the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anyone down Waterford direction running the DCM? a training group down here would be great !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

greenspurs wrote: »
    Anyone down Waterford direction running the DCM? a training group down here would be great !

Contact Waterford AC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

Saw this quote from Hal Higdon and thought it apt for this thread
    If your marathon goal is to finish: Bravo! And Brava! It doesn't matter how fast you run or whom you beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi all, haven’t been on this thread for the last couple of weeks as I was on holidays (bit of a challenge getting motivated to go running while on hols, but I only missed one run, so didn’t do too badly). I was one of the people who was struggling with the concept of the LSR, I was running all my runs at my 10k pace of about 7 min 50 sec per mile. I didn’t realise how foolish this was until it was pointed out to me here. Since then, I have slowed down my runs to about 9 min 30 per mile and I intend to go even slower in my long weekend runs, as my marathon target is 4hrs, or a 9 min mile.

I can’t tell you how much more pleasant this has made my running! I always dreaded going out in the evening, but now I am actually looking forward to my runs. I was able to do 7.25 miles while on holidays - my longest run to date - without any difficulty (and it was first thing in the morning on an empty stomach too!). This has totally changed how I look at my training. Where before the marathon seemed like an unachievable target as I was wrecked after all my runs, now I actually am looking forward to building up my mileage at a slow, steady pace.

Just one question though, should I be doing one run a week at marathon pace? Or just carry on doing all my runs at 60 – 90 seconds more than my marathon pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »

Just one question though, should I be doing one run a week at marathon pace? Or just carry on doing all my runs at 60 – 90 seconds more than my marathon pace.

Great Stuff!! Good to hear that we have another convert to running a bit slower :pac:

I think it is no harm doing one of your shorter runs at MP, especially if MP is not so hard compared to your shorter race times. I think in the Novice 2 plans one of the midweek runs is at Marathon pace, no harm getting used to it a bit.
    I also find it is a great confidence boost if you can do the last few miles of the odd one of your LSR's at MP. E.G in a 15 mile LSR, do the first 13 slow and the last 2 a MP.

Best of Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

DSD are holding a Marathon Talk session on June 12th, generally aimed at the first timer and improvers.

Good range of speakers, including Olympic hopeful, Linda Byrne.

More details can be found here

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi all, haven’t been on this thread for the last couple of weeks as I was on holidays (bit of a challenge getting motivated to go running while on hols, but I only missed one run, so didn’t do too badly). I was one of the people who was struggling with the concept of the LSR, I was running all my runs at my 10k pace of about 7 min 50 sec per mile. I didn’t realise how foolish this was until it was pointed out to me here. Since then, I have slowed down my runs to about 9 min 30 per mile and I intend to go even slower in my long weekend runs, as my marathon target is 4hrs, or a 9 min mile.

I can’t tell you how much more pleasant this has made my running! I always dreaded going out in the evening, but now I am actually looking forward to my runs. I was able to do 7.25 miles while on holidays - my longest run to date - without any difficulty (and it was first thing in the morning on an empty stomach too!). This has totally changed how I look at my training. Where before the marathon seemed like an unachievable target as I was wrecked after all my runs, now I actually am looking forward to building up my mileage at a slow, steady pace.

Oh I'm finding it the complete opposite, I feel like I'm plodding around. Constantly checking the watch to make sure I'm in the easy zone :rolleyes:. Still I am determined to stick with it as I'm sure I'll see the benefits. Glad you're enjoying it and now looking forward to the plan.

I can't wait for the rest of you to start the marathon plan as I'm waiting to hear how ye are all getting on :D. Week 2 almost over for me now with LSR left.

I know this may be a how long is a piece of string type question but what would be the marathon pace versus your normal comfortable pace and where would the 3 midweek runs fit in pace wise ?

Marathon pace is the pace required for the finish time being aimed for (everyone has a rough idea of what they will end up at / looking to achieve even as a first timer aiming just to finish!) I understand that the LSR is ran a little slower than marathon pace and the reasons why. What I would like to know though does marathon pace = comfortable long distance running pace - is it the case that we will be trying to extend our comfortably runnable pace and distance to 26 miles or is the plan to sacrifice a bit of pace in return for the increased distance (if you ended up running the whole marathon at LSR pace) or is it somewhere in the middle.

And with that in mind the 3 faster midweek runs - is the aim to do them faster than marathon pace - if so how much faster would be the target ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I know this may be a how long is a piece of string type question but what would be the marathon pace versus your normal comfortable pace and where would the 3 midweek runs fit in pace wise ?

Marathon pace is the pace required for the finish time being aimed for (everyone has a rough idea of what they will end up at / looking to achieve even as a first timer aiming just to finish!) I understand that the LSR is ran a little slower than marathon pace and the reasons why. What I would like to know though does marathon pace = comfortable long distance running pace - is it the case that we will be trying to extend our comfortably runnable pace and distance to 26 miles or is the plan to sacrifice a bit of pace in return for the increased distance (if you ended up running the whole marathon at LSR pace) or is it somewhere in the middle.

And with that in mind the 3 faster midweek runs - is the aim to do them faster than marathon pace - if so how much faster would be the target ?

All the runs should be done at an easy comfortable pace, where you'd be able to have a conversation with a running partner...many people have been known/seen to be talking to themselves:o while out running and this is usually to test pace....
    The Tues run should be esay as you are recovering from the LSR and the Thur run should also be easy as you don't want to be tired out before the LSR.....

The bases for the runs are Tue -slow, Wed-easy conversational, Thur-slow and then LSR - slower...

Sometimes this is very hard when the distances are shortish but as the program goes from week to week all the runs increase in mileage, and usually the 3 midweek runs equal the LSR....so you'll be glad of the slow paces!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭Trampas

out for a 6.5km this morning.

legs tired after not running for nearly 2 weeks but i can live with that.

rest until 10km maynooth on sunday.

I am planning on due 5.30/5.40 marathon pace. can someone tell me what times i should be running on tues/weds/thurs/sat please as i am not sure

• Advertisement

Scriba, if you are thinking about DCM 2012, then yes start the training and make the decision later as you rightly say, you can opt out of a plan but not opt in!

Guys there are all levels of Novices. The aim of this thread is to get you to the start line of your 1st (or sometimes 2nd/3rd) marathon, get you around the course and to the finish line safely in one piece. The prize at the end here is completing a marathon.

Time is a personal think, some will do 3hr, 3.30, 4.00 4.30, 5.00 & 5+
    Everyone will train at their own ability but the key here is that everyone will follow the plan the same..so if you are doing Novice 1 weekly as its posted, everyone will be running the same distances, the pace doesn't matter as the objective of the plan is to build stamina for the marathon and get miles in your legs...:D
    Currently Im running 3 times a week, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday.
    Wednesday 3-4 miles, Thursday 4 miles and last Sunday 9 miles, took me 1hr 46 though! Mondays and Saturdays I go to the gym just to do a 40min weights programme. I could increase my running to 4 times per week but I do enjoy the 2 rest days! Im doing the flora womens mini in Dublin in a few weeks so I will see how my times go. Im nervous!! Is Dublin a possibility at this stage or should I be further along miles wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

zooming wrote: »
    Wednesday 3-4 miles, Thursday 4 miles and last Sunday 9 miles, took me 1hr 46 though! Mondays and Saturdays I go to the gym just to do a 40min weights programme. I could increase my running to 4 times per week but I do enjoy the 2 rest days! Im doing the flora womens mini in Dublin in a few weeks so I will see how my times go. Im nervous!! Is Dublin a possibility at this stage or should I be further along miles wise?

No I think you can get there. keep up what you are doing untill the programe starts and you'll be flying then. The weight training probably wont help your running though and if you are keen on doing DCM then another run during the week in place of one of these sessions would help a good bit I think. Best of luck with it.

Week 1 of the training plan being followed by the group here has 3 x 3 mile runs and 1 6 mile run in it. You're more than capable of this at your current level and the plan itself doesn't start until the end of June. As things stand you're in great shape to start the program. :)

All the runs should be done at an easy comfortable pace, where you'd be able to have a conversation with a running partner...many people have been known/seen to be talking to themselves:o while out running and this is usually to test pace....
    The Tues run should be esay as you are recovering from the LSR and the Thur run should also be easy as you don't want to be tired out before the LSR.....

The bases for the runs are Tue -slow, Wed-easy conversational, Thur-slow and then LSR - slower...

Sometimes this is very hard when the distances are shortish but as the program goes from week to week all the runs increase in mileage, and usually the 3 midweek runs equal the LSR....so you'll be glad of the slow paces!

Thanks for the response :)

If I could go with a follow up though: If all 4 training runs per week are being ran at slower than goal pace for the marathon - what actually pushes the pace up on the day ? Are we relying on adrenaline kicking in / the crowds etc or is it that over the course of time the "slow" comfortable pace increases naturally as fitness levels rise so that it bridges the gap to the marathon goal pace ? Sorry to be a pain asking all these questions ! - It's not that I don't trust the plan - results from previous plans / threads are clear to see - Im just interested in how the plan itself works. :)

+1 on what the guys say, you'll be well able for DCM. One thing I would advise is to look at adding that 4th run in per week now. That way when the plans kicks off you will be used to it and it won't cause you any grief. The 4th run will usually be 3 miles easy so maybe start with 2 easy next week and then build it up to 3 prior to the plan. I used to run 3 times a week but built it up to 4 in advance of plan.

Good luck with mini-marathon - the course is great if you can avoid the congestion. Start as far up in your pen as possible and be careful on the first mile as it's easy to get tripped up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks for the response :)

If I could go with a follow up though: If all 4 training runs per week are being ran at slower than goal pace for the marathon - what actually pushes the pace up on the day ? Are we relying on adrenaline kicking in / the crowds etc or is it that over the course of time the "slow" comfortable pace increases naturally as fitness levels rise so that it bridges the gap to the marathon goal pace ? Sorry to be a pain asking all these questions ! - It's not that I don't trust the plan - results from previous plans / threads are clear to see - Im just interested in how the plan itself works. :)

I Think your problem is that you have just started running and you are unsure of what is a slow/conversational pace because you are still 'reaching' a little in each run you do. You also are likely to be unsure of what your marathon pace will be because you are improving rapidly in your runs, so what seems fast now will likley seem very slow in a few months. All this talk of running your slow runs is probably going a little over your head:most people would be starting the novice plan with a decent base of running behind them and a fair Idea of what times they can achieve in the marathon.

So the best thing is to keep running and keep it slow and conversational for now (and try to keep your splits consistent ;)). Down the line, say in July or auagust you can pick a goal Marathon time based on some of your races (say the race series 10 miler) and work from there.

shazkea wrote: »
    +1 on what the guys say, you'll be well able for DCM. One thing I would advise is to look at adding that 4th run in per week now. That way when the plans kicks off you will be used to it and it won't cause you any grief. The 4th run will usually be 3 miles easy so maybe start with 2 easy next week and then build it up to 3 prior to the plan. I used to run 3 times a week but built it up to 4 in advance of plan.

Good luck with mini-marathon - the course is great if you can avoid the congestion. Start as far up in your pen as possible and be careful on the first mile as it's easy to get tripped up.

Thanks! I will report back after it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

So the best thing is to keep running and keep it slow and conversational for now (and try to keep your splits consistent ;)). Down the line, say in July or auagust you can pick a goal Marathon time based on some of your races (say the race series 10 miler) and work from there.

+1 on this your Target marathon pace should only be determined closer to the race when you have an idea of what kinda shape you are in. Coming from a novice standpoint you may see huge fitness benefits as you get stronger and fitter.

With regarding what makes you able to carry out the race at a higher intensity than training here are a few reasons as to why

-fresh from taper. Training has a cumulative affect as the schedule goes on week after week. You will find yourself never fully recovered and training on heavy legs and as such come race day you are going to have more in the tank

- Race atmosphere. the swarms of people around you, the race nerves and adrenaline and the crowds of people cheering you on the streets. These are things which will give you that extra few % its easier to run faster paces with people around you rather than on your own for many reasons.

I Think your problem is that you have just started running and you are unsure of what is a slow/conversational pace because you are still 'reaching' a little in each run you do. You also are likely to be unsure of what your marathon pace will be because you are improving rapidly in your runs, so what seems fast now will likley seem very slow in a few months. All this talk of running your slow runs is probably going a little over your head:most people would be starting the novice plan with a decent base of running behind them and a fair Idea of what times they can achieve in the marathon.

Thanks very much for that. Makes perfect sense.

BTW I've been the model of consistency for the past 2 days. You'd be very proud of me ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Week 1 of my program done, 2 5km runs and 2 8km runs. A good bit of cross training and weights / conditioning done too. Only injury to report is chafed nipples, ouch. Other than than, i'm feeling fine and raring to go for week 2 next week.:D:D

Advertisement