Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Younganne wrote: »
    My excuse is my age :eek:...can't convert to KM now..will stick to the miles thanks very much:D

Does anyone else get a little bit annoyed that we have two lengths of measurement/timings for races.
    I'm a miles man myself, and although its not too hard to convert figures , it does become a little bit annoying that it seems there is a 50-50 split between runners who prefer miles than Km.especially when talking to friends and then doing the math.

The older runners I presume prefer miles.If there were no more races measured in miles(namely 5 miles /10 miles) I wonder would us "milers" convert faster to Km's.then there would be no more talk about mile splits.

Obviously the mile race itself is a historic measurement/distance, but could the other races just be changed to Km.
    Why is there still some 6 mile races--could they all not be easily changed to 10k's.

just wondering?

I'm using the word "annoyed" loosely.I really mean just "a little niggle"

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

You may be interested in some running gear that's going on sale in Lidl from Monday....I'm curious about the compression stuff myself.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=20503

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

What's the metors thoughts on the Adidas Race series for novices.

June 30th - 5 mile
    July 22nd - 10k
    Aug 25th - 10 Mile
    Sep 15th - Half Marathon

Long Runs on those weekends would be 6 Mile for the first weekend but after that they are well outside the distances the plan is laying out. Hal himself seems to think that racing gets in the way of the plan and should be avoided other than for gaining experience of running in large groups.

Would many of the novices be running these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

I dunno what the mentor thinks but the race series is a brilliant way to build up for the big day helped me no end in 2009...

Just to clarify younganne if i was aiming for 3;40 which is 8;23 minute miles I should be doing my midweek runs at around 9 n my LSR at 9;30min/miles

I plan on doing 8 miles tomoro so was just quizzing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Race series for novices.

June 30th - 5 mile
    July 22nd - 10k
    Aug 25th - 10 Mile
    Sep 15th - Half Marathon

Would many of the novices be running these ?

Yeah I plan on doing the 5 mile, 10km and 10 miler. The half is prob too close to my plan A marathon to race it but might do it as LSR. I haven't figured out how I'll fit them into the plan but prob drop the LSR that week or move it to midweek.

Anne how did ye figure it out last year?
    doledude86 wrote: »
    I dunno what the mentor thinks but the race series is a brilliant way to build up for the big day helped me no end in 2009...

Just to clarify younganne if i was aiming for 3;40 which is 8;23 minute miles I should be doing my midweek runs at around 9 n my LSR at 9;30min/miles

I plan on doing 8 miles tomoro so was just quizzing

Dole dude, McMillan gives you the following
    LSR pace of 08:54 -9:54;
    Easy(midweek) 08:54 - 09:24

From what I've learnt off the lads for the past few days is to keep it slow so I'll be aiming for for the higher limits of my range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

The Dublin Race series is designed to fit into the marathon training plan and its especially useful for any Novice who mightn't have run many races or experienced the atmoshpere of a big race...its fantastic for getting to practice strategy like taking on water at water stations, starting in the correct place regarding time, trying to control pace and learning how to race.

it usually replaces the LSR of that week and a race is always more beneficial even if its not the same planned distance

Doledude86, shaz is spot on with your pace
    if your a km man its :D
    Long Runs
    8:54 to 9:54 min /mile
    5:32 to 6:09 min/km

coalshed wrote: »
    You may be interested in some running gear that's going on sale in Lidl from Monday....I'm curious about the compression stuff myself.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=20503

You can't go wrong with Lidl running gear....don't forget every race at the Race Series you get a runners tshirt of good quality!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

BobMac104 wrote: »
    You don't have to go out and get a garmin. You can just use a cheap stop watch over a know distance. For most of my training for Dublin last year i got the distance using map my run (a website that you can plan your routes on ) and just looked at the clock before and after the run and worked out my pace from that. Its not ideal but it works ok.

Thanks, that's what I've been doing but I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the reply I just find it hard to get my head around that you dont train at PMP for all your training like how does your body click into gear on the day after only doing one "pace" race a week , to be honest younganne I wasnt aware of thid for DCM09 I got 3:56 but it was a really hard slog and this might be the reason (learning already)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

doledude86 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply I just find it hard to get my head around that you dont train at PMP for all your training like how does your body click into gear on the day after only doing one "pace" race a week , to be honest younganne I wasnt aware of thid for DCM09 I got 3:56 but it was a really hard slog and this might be the reason (learning already)

You should definitely do some of your training at PMP to get a feel for it. Maybe try doing a few miles at PMP at the end of your Long runs, specifically the long ones. For example, if you are doing a 20 miler, run 15-16 easy and try to run the last 4-5 at PMP. It's easy to do the faster miles at the start of the runs but not so much at the end, so this kind of run really teaches the body to hold pace throughout you race.

• Advertisement

So just did a LSR 8miler..

9:05 min/miles probably still a bit quick but did it extremely comfortably, thats 19miles this week building slowly towards the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Trampas

Back after my 12.5km run this morning at 6.06 pace

It felt nice an easy compared to my 5.30 pace I have been running lately

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

I'm not sure if I'm ready for a marathon to be honest so would like some of your advice. Been running for 18 months on and off but have been running consistently for about 8 months. I haven't been pushing quite so hard for times/distances but am impressed with my progress (had difficulty running 5 minutes when I started now I can do 1 hour non stop no problems - apart from the odd cramp)

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Never raced before but can do 5k in about 32mins and 10k in 1:02

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    No but that's not to say I won't have to over 40 odd kms!!!

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    3 sessions per week 2x7 or 8km 1x10km no cross training nothing else (need to learn a few stretches...any takers?)

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Just to finish would be fantastic but sub 5hours I would be very proud!

How many days a week can you train?
    3-4

Why are you running this marathon?
    No particular reason. It's been a lifetime ambition to do at least one and if it stops there then it stops there or I might catch the bug! Just to say I've done it!!!!

So what do you guys think?? Am I mad or should I go for it?

I am committed now.

entry fee is paid for dcm and race series

Great stuff Trampas, Have signed up for the series myself but no marathon yet

I'm not sure if I'm ready for a marathon to be honest so would like some of your advice. Been running for 18 months on and off but have been running consistently for about 8 months. I haven't been pushing quite so hard for times/distances but am impressed with my progress (had difficulty running 5 minutes when I started now I can do 1 hour non stop no problems - apart from the odd cramp)

Never raced before but can do 5k in about 32mins and 10k in 1:02

No but that's not to say I won't have to over 40 odd kms!!!

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    3 sessions per week 2x7 or 8km 1x10km no cross training nothing else (need to learn a few stretches...any takers?)

Just to finish would be fantastic but sub 5hours I would be very proud!

3-4

No particular reason. It's been a lifetime ambition to do at least one and if it stops there then it stops there or I might catch the bug! Just to say I've done it!!!!

So what do you guys think?? Am I mad or should I go for it?

Go for it...slot into the Hal higdon Spring training plan at week 7
    and then start the marathon training with the rest of us...in a couple of months you can decide for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Younganne wrote: »
    Go for it...slot into the Hal higdon Spring training plan at week 7
    and then start the marathon training with the rest of us...in a couple of months you can decide for sure..

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this training plan I have done up for myself.

It is primarily based on the training plan that will be followed here on the thread. My changes are:

1) Earlier start incorporating second half of Hal Higdons novice runner program.
    2) My work life means I am busier at weekends so my LSR will be on Mondays. This will be a couple of days later than the main group from here.
    3) I have flipped the long run / cross train day around. My long run has to be on Mondays as its my only day off work wise and Saturday needs to be a non running day. The only way to stick with the 3 short runs back to back which is essential to the plan means the cross train day has to be before the long run. (This also means that if I do have to miss a day due to work commitments it will be the cross train day)
    4) It incorporates the 4 race series runs. This required a few tweaks to some of the runs either side of the race dates.

My only major concern with this is the week of the half marathon race starts off with a 16 mile run. I am concerned that might be too much in one week. The following week is a lot easier because effectively I have 2 long runs in one week and none the following week. With my Monday being the only day available for a long run the Saturday half marathon doesn't sit very well.

In a similar situation the 10 mile race is the same week as the first half marathon in the program. Again not an ideal run in to the 10 mile race.

Would I be better off leaving it either or both of these races out altogether and keep a closer schedule to the original plan or is the plan below doable ?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

trainingplan1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Hi there,

I have a feeling Im going to love this thread.....:)

5k - Celbridge AC - Aug 2011 - 24:52
    8k - Aware XMAS 8k - Dec 2011 - 42:51
    5m - BHAA RTE 5 Mile - May 2012 - 39:58
    10k - Samsung Night Run 10k - April 2012 - 52:05

Longest Run to date - 15k - Phoenix Park - April 2012 - 1:29:44

http://runkeeper.com/user/pwalshe - I use Garmin 305, but Runkeeper is easier on the eye.

No. But I feel I would have to if I went over 15k.

Have 2 children Under 3 - so this is a challenge.
    Monday Lunch - Gym 5k
    Wednesday Night - 5k Street Run
    Thursday Night - 5k Street Run
    Saturday or Sunday - I do a race - generally 10k, but want to progress

I have HHigdon all loaded into my Garmin Connect Calendar ready to Start 1st July. In the meantime, Im doing about 20/25k a week.

Im signed up for entire race series, in addition to:
    ARC 10K
    Parkwest 10k
    Docklands 8k
    Camara 10k
    BHAA races
    DLR 10K

Dream 3hr50m ; Realistic 4:10 - you tell me!!?

Depends on kids, 2/3 Nights and all weekend

Get Fitter.
    Love Running.
    Get a break from nappies.
    Lose 10kg maybe - not important

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have a feeling Im going to love this thread.....:)

5k - Celbridge AC - Aug 2011 - 24:52
    8k - Aware XMAS 8k - Dec 2011 - 42:51
    5m - BHAA RTE 5 Mile - May 2012 - 39:58
    10k - Samsung Night Run 10k - April 2012 - 52:05

Longest Run to date - 15k - Phoenix Park - April 2012 - 1:29:44

http://runkeeper.com/user/pwalshe - I use Garmin 305, but Runkeeper is easier on the eye.

No. But I feel I would have to if I went over 15k.

Have 2 children Under 3 - so this is a challenge.
    Monday Lunch - Gym 5k
    Wednesday Night - 5k Street Run
    Thursday Night - 5k Street Run
    Saturday or Sunday - I do a race - generally 10k, but want to progress

I have HHigdon all loaded into my Garmin Connect Calendar ready to Start 1st July. In the meantime, Im doing about 20/25k a week.

Im signed up for entire race series, in addition to:
    ARC 10K
    Parkwest 10k
    Docklands 8k
    Camara 10k
    BHAA races
    DLR 10K

Dream 3hr50m ; Realistic 4:10 - you tell me!!?

Depends on kids, 2/3 Nights and all weekend

Get Fitter.
    Love Running.
    Get a break from nappies.
    Lose 10kg maybe - not important

Hi SnailsPace,

I have the same feeling about this thread.Your times are very similar to mine and I'm hoping for a 3:59:59 marathon in October. So best of luck with your training.

One question I have for the more experienced runners and our Mentor is what we should do or more importantly what we should not do before starting the training plan in June? Should we be limiting our mileage to a certain amount or what should the strategy be from May-Jun??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Con62

I have never run,started on treadmill, up go 5k in 32 min, a lot of walking, mainly hillwalking. Have a big birthday coming quick, carrying a bit of weight, 14st 7lbs, standing 5.10. Have poor typing skills, but would love a go at the marathon. Is it too late? Short on confidence, big on determination. Going for my first run ao the road this morning
    Have enjoyed all the comments on the board,my goal-to finish

Regards. Con62

Con62 wrote: »
    I have never run,started on treadmill, up go 5k in 32 min, a lot of walking, mainly hillwalking. Have a big birthday coming quick, carrying a bit of weight, 14st 7lbs, standing 5.10. Have poor typing skills, but would love a go at the marathon. Is it too late? Short on confidence, big on determination. Going for my first run ao the road this morning
    Have enjoyed all the comments on the board,my goal-to finish

Regards. Con62

I don't believe you need typing skills to run a marathon.

Not to late I believe so give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I have taken the plunge and have signed up for the Dublin 2012 race series and the DCM. I'm the wrong side of 40 and haven't done much activity for a few years but I dont drink and dont smoke. I started working out in the gym 6 months ago doing mostly cardio circuit training, doing 2-2 1/2 hours a day, 4-5 days a week to a heart rate based training programme which has greatly improved my fitness levels, I can now comfortably run 10k in an hour. I decided to do something with the fitness I have built up and always wanted to try a marathon, so here i am. It is reassuring to see so many people in the same boat as me.

I've only ever done 1 organised race, a 5k which I did in 26mins at the beginning of April. I have also run 10k in 55mins, but not in a race.

No, i tend to do training runs of 5-10k without walking

I do cross training 2-2 1/2 hours, 4-5 times a week. I train using a heart monitor and have targets for the amount of time to train in each heart zone. Been training like this since November 2011

I'd love to do a sub 4hr time but more realistically 4:15 to 4:30

4-5

I have been training hard for the past 6 months and have got a lot fitter and have lost a good bit of weight too. I wanted to put my new found fitness to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

It is primarily based on the training plan that will be followed here on the thread. My changes are:

1) Earlier start incorporating second half of Hal Higdons novice runner program.
    2) My work life means I am busier at weekends so my LSR will be on Mondays. This will be a couple of days later than the main group from here.
    3) I have flipped the long run / cross train day around. My long run has to be on Mondays as its my only day off work wise and Saturday needs to be a non running day. The only way to stick with the 3 short runs back to back which is essential to the plan means the cross train day has to be before the long run. (This also means that if I do have to miss a day due to work commitments it will be the cross train day)
    4) It incorporates the 4 race series runs. This required a few tweaks to some of the runs either side of the race dates.

My only major concern with this is the week of the half marathon race starts off with a 16 mile run. I am concerned that might be too much in one week. The following week is a lot easier because effectively I have 2 long runs in one week and none the following week. With my Monday being the only day available for a long run the Saturday half marathon doesn't sit very well.

In a similar situation the 10 mile race is the same week as the first half marathon in the program. Again not an ideal run in to the 10 mile race.

Would I be better off leaving it either or both of these races out altogether and keep a closer schedule to the original plan or is the plan below doable ?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Any race will obviously take it out of you more than a training run so the key is to make sure you recover properly and that racing doesn't cause you to miss key sessions. I think you will be fine with the schedule you have down (I'm no marathon training expert though!). You may still feel the half marathon in the legs though come the 10 mile race.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Hey all, I followed this thread last year, far too late to start training but I swore to myself I would run it this year. Not the fastest runner and I haven't ran in about 4 months but I'm getting back into this week to run the 10k WMM.

5k - Phoenix AC Monaghan - Sept 2011 - 31.00
    6k - Clontibret - Sept 2011 - 40.01

Not usually but I'm getting back into it so for the moment, yes!

Like I said, getting back into it, but until I get back to fitness, I'm aiming 5 days a week and then going back to 3/4 days a week.

Dream, sub 4, realistic, 4.30!

Footloose and fancy free, so I can train every morning/night and weekend

Because I want to!
    I love running
    Get fitter
    Bragging rights! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Garman

Hi guys,
    Looking for a bit of feedback. I started running last September was a bit overweight but picked up the running and lost about a stone and a half :)My first race was the Bohermeen half marathon in march '12. Did it in 2:01 and felt fantastic. I usually run around 50k a week but I've been getting a few niggly injuries lately groin and stuff. I'm not a very fast runner just try to stay comfortable. I'm aiming to go sub 2hr in Kildare half marathon this weekend.
    But my big ambition is to run the Dingle Marathon in september and then the Dublin City Marathon in November. I've registered now so provided I stay injury free I'm gonna give it a lash!
    What I want to know from you guys is is my plan achievable or am I being unrealistic with my targets? I'm 33 and would absolutely love to achieve my goal this year I'm a positive thinker but any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hi SnailsPace,

I have the same feeling about this thread.Your times are very similar to mine and I'm hoping for a 3:59:59 marathon in October. So best of luck with your training.

One question I have for the more experienced runners and our Mentor is what we should do or more importantly what we should not do before starting the training plan in June? Should we be limiting our mileage to a certain amount or what should the strategy be from May-Jun??

By the time the Marathon training plan starts in June you should be able to comfortable do week 1 of Hals Novice 1 plan, thats 3 x 3m runs and 1 x 6m run...if you are not at that stage then slot into the Hal higdon Spring training plan at week 7 and you will build up to that level jus tin time to start the Marathon training.

Something you should not do is start running 6m if the longest you have run to date is 3m...Goldenrule - build up slowly!!!

Garman wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Looking for a bit of feedback. I started running last September was a bit overweight but picked up the running and lost about a stone and a half ðŸ˜႒ My first race was the Bohermeen half marathon in march '12. Did it in 2:01 and felt fantastic. I usually run around 50k a week but I've been getting a few niggly injuries lately groin and stuff. I'm not a very fast runner just try to stay comfortable. I'm aiming to go sub 2hr in Kildare half marathon this weekend.
    But my big ambition is to run the Dingle Marathon in september and then the Dublin City Marathon in November. I've registered now so provided I stay injury free I'm gonna give it a lash ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒
    What I want to know from you guys is is my plan achievable or am I being unrealistic with my targets? I'm 33 and would absolutely love to achieve my goal this year I'm a positive thinker but any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

You'll be well able to do it...thats a great time for your first Half...
    Get your injuries sorted and maybe go back to basics and start the Hal novice plan from week 1 and build back up, giving your body a chance to recover from any niggles you have and following a structured plan that will help avoid future injuries...
    Good luck in Kildare on Sunday!!

trainingplan1.jpg

I would swap the 13m long run with the 12m on the 13/08...do a shorter run on 20/08 ..about 8m would be plenty and this way your legs would be a bit fresher for the 10m race..racing is great way to get the experience but two in one week would be a bit much...especially as the LSR mileage will be building higher after that!!!

• Advertisement

deleted

Superdude87...no question is too stupid to ask!

Advertisement