Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!):

5K (30/3/12): 27:05
    10k (6/5/12): 58:03

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do
    No.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant:

Done 25 miles this week over 5 days, built up mileage since january

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

Dream time would be sub 4 hours but hoping to get under 4:15.

Why are you running this marathon?

I done Dublin last year without proper preparation. Made my way around in just under 6:15 after walking the majority of the race. Was happy to have finished but wasn't long finished until I started thinking about doing it properly. Would be nice to have a PB by 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Good stuff and well done on giving it another go.

That is some PB you are after 2 hours fair play to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

dazza21ie wrote: »

5K (30/3/12): 27:05
    10k (6/5/12): 58:03

No.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant:

Done 25 miles this week over 5 days, built up mileage since january

Dream time would be sub 4 hours but hoping to get under 4:15.

I done Dublin last year without proper preparation. Made my way around in just under 6:15 after walking the majority of the race. Was happy to have finished but wasn't long finished until I started thinking about doing it properly. Would be nice to have a PB by 2 hours.

I would love to hear more abiut your lack Of preparation last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

im am at the moment up to 15 miles at 8.30 min/mile pace ...
    Anyone help me ? Im wondering when i shud start training for the Mara?
    Im aiming to do the 3/4 Mara in Athlone and then Dublin .
    Im taking a few weeks off to clear up a few niggles (achilles, groin !:/ ) and i hope to start "proper" training when these are ok.
    Should i start doing the full 18-20 week training schedule? as i said im up to 15 miles at the moment.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

It usually starts around mid June.
    Anne will be putting up weekly plans for everyone to follow.

You should always try to do the full training. It will help you to build up your stamina for the big day.
    With regards your pace you should always run your long runs around 1.30 minutes slower then your goal time. See a few pages back for reasons but the main reason is to get your legs used to running for longer during the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

greenspurs wrote: »
    im am at the moment up to 15 miles at 8.30 min/mile pace ...
    Anyone help me ? Im wondering when i shud start training for the Mara?
    Im aiming to do the 3/4 Mara in Athlone and then Dublin .
    Im taking a few weeks off to clear up a few niggles (achilles, groin !:/ ) and i hope to start "proper" training when these are ok.
    Should i start doing the full 18-20 week training schedule? as i said im up to 15 miles at the moment.

You'll be a good way ahead of the others if you're at 15 already, I wouldn't drop down to running 8 mile long runs in June as per the Novice schedule, it won't benefit you. Have a look through Hal Higdon or the like to find a program that maintains and grows your mileage.

As regards when to start training? You're training already;) every mile you run is banked towards your marathon goal.:)

As for goal time I work under the 45 sec to a minute slower for LSR's but again for a lot of novices your LSR pace will be close to your Marathon Pace. Running 10 min miles in training for 20 miles will not automatically make you run 9:15's on the day of the marathon. Races towards the end of training will be the best indicator of what your goal should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

SnailsPace wrote: »
    I would love to hear more abiut your lack Of preparation last year?

Had pretty much decided I was doing a marathon without any training done. I then started training too late, didn't do enough and what I did do didn't do it right!! Basically I probably could write a small book on what not to do. By the time the Marathon came around it was really just a case of trying to get around however long it took. Still glad I did it because it gave me an idea of what is involved, got to experience the big race atmosphere and gave me the urge to do it again but to prepare this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

As most of you have mentioned plans in your posts, one thing to be careful of is not to get hooked on having to do a 8 mile run on the day the plan tells you. If you miss a run, its not the end of the world.

Life will get in the way on some of your runs, work will be a pain or you have a sore leg and are unsure whether to run or you have somewhere to go in an emergency. Miss the run and have no guilt, your body will need a day off at times and will thank you.

Also someone mentioned on here (i think) a few pages back about weights training. I've done a few marathons and coming back from injury since April and my physio has given me a course of weights/stretches to build up the leg again to prevent it happening again. So weight training can be useful if you're trying to strengthen areas like your core.

Also, look at your toenails - once the training get really going you will lose a few nails or they will go black. This is normal and a badge of honour. I'm still waiting for one to grow back since Dublin 2010 so i can do my sandal modelling work again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

chinguetti wrote: »
    As most of you have mentioned plans in your posts, one thing to be careful of is not to get hooked on having to do a 8 mile run on the day the plan tells you. If you miss a run, its not the end of the world.

Life will get in the way on some of your runs, work will be a pain or you have a sore leg and are unsure whether to run or you have somewhere to go in an emergency. Miss the run and have no guilt, your body will need a day off at times and will thank you.

Also someone mentioned on here (i think) a few pages back about weights training. I've done a few marathons and coming back from injury since April and my physio has given me a course of weights/stretches to build up the leg again to prevent it happening again. So weight training can be useful if you're trying to strengthen areas like your core.

Also, look at your toenails - once the training get really going you will lose a few nails or they will go black. This is normal and a badge of honour. I'm still waiting for one to grow back since Dublin 2010 so i can do my sandal modelling work again:D

chinguetti makes a good point regarding plans. They can be a very useful tool and way of motivating knowing you have to do X miles on Y day etc but youhave to use your common sense here. You need to be smart but also honest in how you approach training. Often the hardest thing to learn i when to listen to your body and take rest days when needed due to niggles/ life etc.

One bit of advice I would give to people if you do miss a day dont try to make it up by doubling it up on another day. If you miss a session you can move the day but dont put it in with another days training. This can lead to injury/illness and can have an adverse effect on your training long term

When you are taking an unscheduled day off ask yourself honestly the following questions:

Do I really need to take this day off or am I just using X (injury, night out etc.) as an excuse

Which would you benefit more from a day off or training through (if its a niggle ask yourself will running on it make it worse answering the question that day off in long run may lead to less training missed)

Have the courage and faith in your ability, to miss a day but at the same time be honest with yourself in terms of not making excuses.

Regarding toenails thankfully have never lost one as a result of running just in case that is scarying any women who love wearing their open toed shoes off running a marathon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Only noticed this thread this morning...great work and thanks for looking after it...here's my offering...started running in november '11

10K (12/2/12): 48:39
    1/2 marathon (22/4/12): 1:49:36

No.

4 days a week, 25-30 miles p/w at moment and building up.

Dream time would be 3:45 but would be happy with under 4.

Started out as just wanting to "tick that box" but my love of running seems to be growing and growing. Never ran before and was very unfit. Just found that running helped me tap into determination and grit I did not think I had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Trampas

Did Maynooth 10km in around 53 mins as forgot to stop my watch after i crossed the line.

Wasn't to bad after lack of running over last 2 weeks due to only 1 run on friday just gone (6.5km)

Was feeling it over the last km but kept going.

rest until Tuesday. 5km relay race in phoenix park on Thursday so hopefully close to 25mins on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Would love to join this thread if noone minds. Am doing the New York marathon which is a week after Dublin so will be on a similar schedule

No - started running in March 2012

Can run around 4 -4.5 miles without taking a break.

Aiming for 4 days a week at the minute, also training for 10 mile obstacle event in July so train for it 2-3 times a week in the gym. Am starting 20 week plan at beginning of July.

Dream time would be under 4 but realistically I'm looking at under 5. Its hard to tell with 8 weeks running, I seem to be getting slower.

A local charity I wanted to raise money for had places and I signed up (before I'd even gone for a run, I didn't really realize what was involved). Now I want to do a good job and run all of it in a decent time not just show up and walk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Thought id get the ball rolling on how many miles wre doing...done 21 this week..

Just back from my weekend away so had cabin fever and went out for a 4miler..

4.06miles @ 8:22 min/miles

Getting back to enjoying my running, pity back in work next week but I do awkward hours as im in retail so theres always time to run...

Mon- LSR- 8miles
    Tue- recovery- 3miles
    Wednesday- 5miles (@8:23)
    Thurs- OFF
    Friday- 3miles- recovery
    Sat- OFF
    Sunday- 6/7 miles-3miles(easy) 3/4miles (tempo)

Trying to get the balance right there between easy/hard and trying to build a base for when the 18week kicks in, anyone with any insight please dive in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Mon - Rest
    Tue - 7miles @8.58 pace
    Wed - 6.26miles @7.58 pace
    Thurs - 19mile cycle in 1.05.54
    Fri - Rest due to work
    Sat - 5miles @8.10pace
    Sun - Rest again due to work.

Bit tight for time this week and could honestly do no more due to work and looking after our little man. Step it up again now next week.

I just threw that up as my plan for next week, your doing some good mileage at decent paces tang1! fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Just back in from my LSR - brought forward from tomorrow morning due to work commitments. 7k at avg pace of 6:10 (kilometres) which is around a 10 min mile to be consistent with the reports here. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

doledude86 wrote: »
    I just threw that up as my plan for next week, your doing some good mileage at decent paces tang1! fair play!

Thanks doledude86, what you have planned for next week looks good, you should have a good solid base built up to when the plan starts. Have a nice 15 mile LSR planned for tomorrow, never thought i'd refer to a 15 mile run as 'nice':D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

tang1 wrote: »
    never thought i'd refer to a 15 mile run as 'nice':D:D

You'll be looking forward to 20's soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Ran 3 miles Monday, tuesday and thursday @tempo pace starting at 6 min km miles and finishing at 5 min km miles.
    10 miles today, sunday - slow enough, did the whole lot in 1hr 40. Two stops for water and a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

ran 3 X 3miles during Tues, Wed, Thurs all around the 9 -10 min/Mile pace the ran the Lucan 5 k on Sunday with a time of 26.20. happy with that as down from the Leixlip 5k at 26.44 two weeks ago. Hoping to get the LSR started properly this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My log for last week; I had missed a few days due to being on hols over the previous week and start of last week, so I was going into the week with fresh legs:

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - 4 miles (8.54 min mile)
    Thursay - 5 miles (9.10 min mile)
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 4 miles (8.56 min mile)
    Sunday - 8.5 miles (9.25 min mile)

Was really pleased with the long run yday, it's my longest run to date and I didn't struggle too much! Tired legs towards the end, but not to bad considering i'd run the previous day. I'm doing 10 miles in the relay in Cork Marathon in two weeks time, so hopefully i'm well on track for that.

Really enjoying jogging at the slower pace, previously all my runs were sub 8 min mile, so finding I have a lot more in the tank having slowed down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Real life and some disrupted sleep has got in the way over the past few days. I'm almost feeling like I need to adopt the Kenyan mentality of just eat, sleep, run in order to be anyway consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

g-money, life gets in the way of running sometimes and running gets in the way of life sometimes(cant party and do 20m LSR next morning;)), but the plans are all flexible and you can move runs if necessary or miss some and it won't be make too much difference. As the plan progresses it will become more obvious which runs you can't miss...(go back up a few posts and the lads talk about this issue.)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭fungirl1

Hi am on week 6 of Hal higdon 30 week plan for Dublin. Plan has 4 running days - 3 midweek and LSR at the weekend. Re the midweek runs - Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday....should I try to run these fast or just steady?
    At present they are quite short 2/3m and doing 5m at the weekend....first 12 weeks are about getting legs (and head!) used to regular running so mileage not huge (LSR week 12 is just 6m). Ran race series half in Sept last year but running patchy up until a few weeks ago...think I should be pushing at least one if the mid weeks as I am seriously slow...10min (plus a bit) mile slow....advice very welcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Think it's time for me to start checking in regularly, otherwise there's a risk of slacking off... :o

So last week was week 2 of my pre-marathon-training-training. I'm doing a section of a Hal Higdon programme to get myself ready for the 18 weeks.

Did my 3*3miles + 6m LSR on Sat. Sometimes it was lovely & I felt I could run forever, sometimes it was a bit crappy & tough, but I know it will get better if I'm consistent.

At the moment, when I'm feeling good, my pace for short runs is about 10:00 - 10:30 mins per mile. My pace for the LSR was more like 11:00 - 12:00 mins per mile. Good to know there'll be a 5 hour pacer at the DCM, I'll be keeping my eyes on that flag!

Plan for this week: 3*3m + 7m LSR, and possibly a trip to Amphibian King.

It's not "too soon" to buy my race day runners is it? I'm rotating 2 pairs of Asics (bought Sept 2011 & I think March 2010) at the moment, and they seem ok for short runs, but I think they're a bit worn out for the LSRs. I know I'm pronating & don't want to get injured before I even get stuck into the training properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Given that this thread usually attracts relatively new to the sport runners of a similar level I thought this would be a good time to introduce many of you to a thread which has had great success on here in the past:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449727#

Basically its a way of organising runs between boardsies which makes the Long runs a bit more manageable and also a chance to get to know other boardsies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hi guys I've been training with my sister for the Gold Coast Marathon on Jul 1st but Mum was diagnosed with cancer 3 weeks ago so now I'm doing the DCM in aid of the Oesophageal Cancer Fund instead of going to Oz.

[*]Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Not really. I did a 10k fun race on 8/4/12 in under 45 min but not sure if it was measured properly. I did 26k in 2hrs 25min last Sunday

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    No

[*]How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    I run 3 or 4 days a week and usually ride between 3 and 7 horses everyday. I'm still following the beginner plan for the Gold Coast Marathon. Last week I did 42km

[*]What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    I love if I could do it under 4hrs and I think I should

[*]How many days a week can you train?
    5-7

[*]Why are you running this marathon?
    Originally for the challenge but now for Mum and the OCF

I'd love to know what I should be doing as regards gels fluids etc. Usually I take a 500ml bottle of water with me but I've been told I should start using sports drinks and gels

user_offline.gifreport.gif quote.gif

Best of Luck to ya, great story and I wish your mam and urself all the success in the world!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Yeah so far I've only missed the shorter runs of about 2 miles and I did the longer runs last week when I had the opportunity to run. I'm supposed to do a 5 mile run this Saturday but I'm heading out of the country for a few days and I won't get the chance to do it. I may have to swap weeks around to fit it in.

I still fancy the Kenyan monastic lifestyle though :) Although perhaps with a few modifications!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 sca21

OK, so here I am one week after completing my first full Marathon and I think I'm gonna go for the DCM.
    [*]Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    May 2011 half 1:57, May 2012 full 2012 4:15
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    No
    [*]How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Training since November for the full, followed Hal Higdon Novice 2 training 4 days a week peeking at 35 miles on the good weeks (very few!)
    5k-24 (training run)
    10k-51/52ish (training run)
    [*]What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Ideally sub 4h or as close to 4h as possible
    [*]How many days a week can you train?

*]Why are you running this marathon?
    I'm hooked!

My question is what programme to follow and do I go back and start from scratch. I just completed the full last week so I'm still being kind to the auld body. Ideally, I will start up again in the first week of June but will have to take 2-3 weeks off for holidays in August not ideal I know but will be all set in September when the high milage starts. Advice appreciated.

Advertisement