Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KK94

Does anyone know if all lecturers attend the consultation day? Also, does the records office open over the summer? Have emailed but got no reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Records office is definitely open.

You might get one or two lecturers from each department, depending on the size, but you'll be able to see any of your exam scripts. It's your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Biology department appear to be having a party with beer pong and a mechanical bull in the common room

It looks really fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm wondering what they're doing on campus in early July...I guess they still have research to keep them busy over the summer months.

I'm wondering what they're doing on campus in early July...I guess they still have research to keep them busy over the summer months.

Probably, most of the people I recognised were postgrads so that's likely it. Whatever it is they're having fun anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Maybe it's something to do with James McInerney leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Summer is often the time that the most work gets done, without the distractions of classes, labs, tutorials, assignments, exams, and everything else.

Not in my house though... am suffering chronic procrasti......................................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

mickstupp wrote: »
    Summer is often the time that the most work gets done, without the distractions of classes, labs, tutorials, assignments, exams, and everything else.

Not in my house though... am suffering chronic procrasti......................................

As I always say, "why do today what you can leave off till tomorrow".

TheBody wrote: »
    Maybe it's something to do with James McInerney leaving?

Maybe, though I didn't spot him about.

I do now have the hilarious image of him riding the mechanical bull they have though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Looks like I'll be returning to Maynooth for another year, just accepted the HDip in Computer Science :D

• Advertisement

Whoever decided the deadline for the 3rd year CSSE work placement report needs a stern bollocking from Malcolm Tucker. I've still got 6 weeks to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Whoever decided the deadline for the 3rd year CSSE work placement report needs a stern bollocking from Malcolm Tucker. I've still got 6 weeks to go!

It's due in August, what's the problem?

Whoops, I thought I was told it was July 24th, but a quick look on Moodle tells me that I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Whoops, I thought I was told it was July 24th, but a quick look on Moodle tells me that I was wrong.

Your work placement is 6 months exactly as far as the college is concerned. The report is due 6 months plus 1 week after you started. Most people in CS started a placement on Monday the 2nd of February, if you did your report is due on the 8th of August. Some people began placements as soon as exams finished (e.g. Amazon) and in other rare cases even earlier, in those cases the report would be due earlier (e.g. If you are in Amazon the report will be due on the 24th of July).

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Does anybody have any experience taking evening classes with the language centre? I'm strongly thinking of taking Irish classes next year. Do you have to sign up for the level strictly based on their recommendations or can you sign up for a higher level? I'm going into 4th year as well so I'm not sure if I'd be taking on too much if I decide to do these classes :pac:

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any experience taking evening classes with the language centre? I'm strongly thinking of taking Irish classes next year. Do you have to sign up for the level strictly based on their recommendations or can you sign up for a higher level? I'm going into 4th year as well so I'm not sure if I'd be taking on too much if I decide to do these classes :pac:

Id thought about it before but after speaking with people who had taken them and having heard they didn't gain much from them because they were a bit basic I decided not to in the end.

Mind you I was looking into french so the Irish classes may be different

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

Yep, I started off Irish evening lessons when I was in 4th year too. I took the second-highest level available (don't remember what it was called) and it was fine for me. I had a HL A1 in my Leaving Cert, but pretty much no experience of speaking Irish since then.
    Classes went on for two hours once a week, I paid a deposit and would have gotten it back if I'd completed the year, but unfortunately I found that I genuinely just didn't have enough time in the week to keep up with them so I stopped going.

The lessons were REALLY good, I wish I'd had enough time to stick it out because seriously, it was invaluable. The tutor was great and it was pretty much all about oral skills, we didn't do much grammar or anything like that. And the tutor was really encouraging when I first started and my sentences had tons of grammatical errors, he'd just choose one or two things to correct and would focus on the bigger picture of what I was actually saying.

If you think you'll have the time I'd highly recommend the classes, but I just didn't have enough time myself. :/ There's homework you're expected to do as well as the lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

deex wrote: »
    Yep, I started off Irish evening lessons when I was in 4th year too. I took the second-highest level available (don't remember what it was called) and it was fine for me. I had a HL A1 in my Leaving Cert, but pretty much no experience of speaking Irish since then.
    Classes went on for two hours once a week, I paid a deposit and would have gotten it back if I'd completed the year, but unfortunately I found that I genuinely just didn't have enough time in the week to keep up with them so I stopped going.

The lessons were REALLY good, I wish I'd had enough time to stick it out because seriously, it was invaluable. The tutor was great and it was pretty much all about oral skills, we didn't do much grammar or anything like that. And the tutor was really encouraging when I first started and my sentences had tons of grammatical errors, he'd just choose one or two things to correct and would focus on the bigger picture of what I was actually saying.

If you think you'll have the time I'd highly recommend the classes, but I just didn't have enough time myself. :/ There's homework you're expected to do as well as the lessons.

Thanks a million for the reply, it's very helpful. I'm planning on taking the Intermediate level, but my Irish is SO rusty at the moment that I'm terrified I'll be told to do Beginner :o I'll see how things go in September because I would love to do them to help with my postgrad interview (PME Primary). Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Do you have to sit an exam in the evening language classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Chocolate Fingers and Yellow Snacks. Are they basically the same thing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

How so Joe wrote: »
    Chocolate Fingers and Yellow Snacks. Are they basically the same thing??

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Yellow snack are shortbread aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

So, anyone else graduating? My grad pack (if they're not called that they should be) came in the mail yesterday. I'm on the 9th at noon, cannot wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

banquo wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Did you actually find a gif of someone vlogging about biscuits? Banquo, you have way too much time on your hands. Go find a jack russell to play with or something.

Fbjm wrote: »
    So, anyone else graduating? My grad pack (if they're not called that they should be) came in the mail yesterday. I'm on the 9th at noon, cannot wait! :)

I should have been graduating but Maynooth just wasn't ready to let me go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Fbjm wrote: »

Yeah, graduating in October because I'm a postgrad, well I hope I am, our results aren't out until next month :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Yeah, graduating in October because I'm a postgrad, well I hope I am, our results aren't out until next month :pac:

Best of luck! If I can do it anyone can ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Are they out with the Autumn resit results? Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Are they out with the Autumn resit results? Best of luck.

They are indeed! I've everything back bar the thesis at this stage but it's going to be very close whether I get a first or not :( Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

They are indeed! I've everything back bar the thesis at this stage but it's going to be very close whether I get a first or not :( Thanks!

A friend of mine is due to get masters results too so I was wondering. It's a long wait from submission. I hope you get what you want.

Advertisement