Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

D_s wrote: »
    Anyone know what new building is gonna be on the construction site in North Campus beside the apartments (Not the nearly finished Eolas building, the new site right down the back by the pitches).

Isn't that the new apartment blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

thelad95 wrote: »
    Isn't that the new apartment blocks?

That's what I thought, just wasn't sure. Thanks! :D

I think plans for building projects should definitely be more available to students, it's a bit mad that I don't even know what's being built on my own campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Think it is all available somewhere on the website, I'll have a dig around. The new building at the front which they just started is going to be for Froebal (I think). There is a long term plan to put another new building where the staff carpark is at the front of the campus, also there are plans to extend the science building (the one with the atm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

So anyone know when the repeats are usually in August, just I'm set to start my job then but after today's exam I'll definitely be back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

They start on August 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

I'll be finishing up this year just wondering if you can get English essays you didn't collect from previous years? I just want a couple from last year and one from this year would they be on file with the English department?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Does anyone know how you go about applying to do campus tours? Looks like I'm going to have a bit of free time come June so would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Does anyone know how you go about applying to do campus tours? Looks like I'm going to have a bit of free time come June so would be interested.

Email Mary MacCourt in the SU :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

how exactly do they put ure final degree total together again? i really afraid an exam on monday is going to be the death knell of my 2:1, im on 65% and should get average 65% without this 7.5 cred exam, how badly can i mess up without going under 60 for the overall subject? im confused.com . im dounble arts too , so what happens if ure in 1:1 territory with one subject and 2:1 in the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

What's 3rd year, 60 credits?

If you're on a 65% average, considering 7.5 credits is an eighth of your degree mark... by my hastily done Excel calculations... you could get a 50 on Monday and still have an overall average of 63.

If you just got a 40 you'd still get a 2.1.

But I haven't actually done any Maths in literally 20 years, so what do I know.

EDIT: I guess that means the difference between a 60 and a 70 in your exam on Monday is just 1.25% of your overall degree mark. I don't know if that helps you feel less nervous about the whole thing... but working out the numbers always helped drastically reduce my stress. One year I realised I was killing myself in essays that were only worth 1% of my degree. Pointless stress.

But don't be trusting my Maths.

• Advertisement

err thanks i think that actually helps....(nervous laughter)

Long story short: don't worry, a 40 in your exam will get you a 2.1 in your degree.
    Also you've three days! Plenty of time to do enough work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

On the topic of your overall degree. Am I right in thinking my 3rd year results will not count?

Eh... that depends on your degree. Dickie10 is in double arts, so his/her third year results ARE his degree results.

If you're doing a degree that lasts four years, then your third year marks will only count if they're to your benefit.

The way they work it out is you get either 100% of your final year marks...
    Or 70% of your final year marks, plus 30% of your penultimate year marks...

Whichever result is higher. Happens automatically, you don't have to do anything.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Eh... that depends on your degree. Dickie10 is in double arts, so his/her third year results ARE his degree results.

If you're doing a degree that lasts four years, then your third year marks will only count if they're to your benefit.

The way they work it out is you get either 100% of your final year marks...
    Or 70% of your final year marks, plus 30% of your penultimate year marks...

Whichever result is higher. Happens automatically, you don't have to do anything.

Ah well in that case, I'll be okay. Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Instead of studying I'm sitting here wondering if it would be worthwhile betting in the referendum or not.

Considering I've no clue what the betting odds actually represent/mean and my math skills leave alot to be desired it'd probably be easier on my brain if I just studied :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Game theory is the name of the betting game these days, i.e. how lucrative can you make a risk to a potential punter.

Game theory is the name of the betting game these days, i.e. how lucrative can you make a risk to a potential punter.

Given I'd probably fail JC probability if I had to do it again, I really dont see that being in my future :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Instead of studying I'm sitting here wondering if it would be worthwhile betting in the referendum or not.

Considering I've no clue what the betting odds actually represent/mean and my math skills leave alot to be desired it'd probably be easier on my brain if I just studied :pac:

Its not. It's 1/33 it'll pass so that means you get a euro back for every 33 you put on.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Its not. It's 1/33 it'll pass so that means you get a euro back for every 33 you put on.

At a lovely 1/25 now on PP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

marko93 wrote: »
    At a lovely 1/25 now on PP

Unless you have a lot of money hanging around I wouldn't touch it!

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Unless you have a lot of money hanging around I wouldn't touch it!

I wasn't being serious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Lads d'yiz know when the results'd be out? I'm proper done I am, completely finished the degree. Wringin me hands now over the wait haha.

Probably round the 24th-26th of June. Am not in Maynooth, so I can't sneakily check my supervisor's calendar. Whenever the exam board meets, sometimes it's that afternoon they release them, sometimes the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Cheers again MickStupp! As always, not living up to your username :D

Fbjm wrote: »
    Cheers again MickStupp! As always, not living up to your username :D

If you ask google the particular college webpage that says it comes up that has the exact date there.

I'm too lazy to do it right now though :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Board meeting appears to be 24 June based on post #6 here
    (The actual link now links to 2015/2016]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

So, are there puppies on campus or what? Yik Yak seems to be saying yes but I'm too old to actually understand what the yewwwwwwds are talking about...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

So, are there puppies on campus or what? Yik Yak seems to be saying yes but I'm too old to actually understand what the yewwwwwwds are talking about...

According to the SU's Education VP's Facebook, yes

• Advertisement

well thats the end of my time in maynooth , until the PME . degree done and dusted! the pme prob wont be much like going to college, what with the big blocs of work experience in between. still cant get over how short the college year is !

Advertisement