Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Great to see our student contribution to the SU is being put to such good use...

FXFQB3S.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Such a happy looking bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

mickstupp wrote: »
    Such a happy looking bear.

"I've just graduated with an Arts degree.... :( "

Don't worry, I'm an Arts graduate :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Now, is that a "One for every graduate" offering or do they have to be paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Now, is that a "One for every graduate" offering or do they have to be paid for?

They're just for arts graduates. 'Sorry your degree is rubbish, but here's a teddy, which should make it better'.
    'Omg, it totally does!'

(I would assume they have to be paid for? Why, by any stretch of the imagination, would someone think it a good idea for the SU to give out free teddies?

• Advertisement

Why, by any stretch of the imagination, would someone in the SU think it was a good idea to give out or sell what are clearly very depressed teddies.

I've sort of given up trying to figure out the brains of people in the SU. Been years since I really noticed their presence or proactiveness on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Why, by any stretch of the imagination, would someone in the SU think it was a good idea to give out or sell what are clearly very depressed teddies.

I've sort of given up trying to figure out the brains of people in the SU. Been years since I really noticed their presence or proactiveness on campus.

It is the pretend-politics club. The SU thinks it has 'power' to exact all sorts of change, when in reality they are there to do nothing more than generate fun for students and offer support.

I much prefer them spending money on memorabilia/little rewards for graduates than shouting about plans to build a swimming pool/install an ATM on the South Campus/change the email system/protest for curriculum improvements, etc., etc.

Ah now that's not entirely fair. They've only been talking about an ATM for the last seven years minimum! Give them a chance, would yeh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Ah now that's not entirely fair. They've only been talking about an ATM for the last seven years minimum! Give them a chance, would yeh?!

I suppose... Rome wasn't built in a day, to be fair....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm still waiting for the pedestrian entrance to the south campus at Bond Bridge. 16 years now......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

ATM is there theres just no money in it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

Timetables up, just no the personalized one...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't understand the need for multiple ATMs on campus tbh there's one outside the engineering building on North campus that's centrally located and there are three on Main Street in the town itself. Like it's a small enough town and campus so that an ATM is never more than a few minutes walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Can anyone who's done 4th year CSSE who still dwells here tell me how the timetable and selecting of modules works?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

thelad95 wrote: »
    I don't understand the need for multiple ATMs on campus tbh there's one outside the engineering building on North campus that's centrally located and there are three on Main Street in the town itself. Like it's a small enough town and campus so that an ATM is never more than a few minutes walk away.

It's a pain though when you have to walk across campus and back when you only have a short time between lectures. It's especially painful when you have to go to an ATM to get real money just so that you can purchase monopoly money to use to actually get what you want.

We should be able to pay with credit/debit cards on campus.

If we are bring forced to use our 'myCard' we should be able to top it up from another card.

Instead of using monopoly money for everything we should be able to use the touch to pay feature integrated into every credit/debit card since 2012.

If those aren't implemented we need an ATM in every building where a financial transaction may take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

ATM is also empty more often than its full. Particularly around the start of the terms and on big nights out. More ATMs might help solve this issue.

ATM is also empty more often than its full. Particularly around the start of the terms and on big nights out. More ATMs might help solve this issue.

And the dreaded ques....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

GarIT wrote: »
    It's a pain though when you have to walk across campus and back when you only have a short time between lectures. It's especially painful when you have to go to an ATM to get real money just so that you can purchase monopoly money to use to actually get what you want.

We should be able to pay with credit/debit cards on campus.

If we are bring forced to use our 'myCard' we should be able to top it up from another card.

Instead of using monopoly money for everything we should be able to use the touch to pay feature integrated into every credit/debit card since 2012.

If those aren't implemented we need an ATM in every building where a financial transaction may take place.

how much do you think it costs to install and run a card machine / atm and the transaction costs ? because its not cheap, especially if your not using it for 1/4 of the year.

also students tend not to be flush with cash , transaction fees mean that its really not worth processing transactions under a 10er. How many times have you gone to the SU / shop and wanted to spend over a 10er in one go ?

edit : also can't you top up the mycard from the inter webs ? (I have very little knowledge of it as I had finished when it showed up)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

TheBody wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the pedestrian entrance to the south campus at Bond Bridge. 16 years now......

That one was agreed to and paid for, with the local council too. I'd follow up on that!

banquo wrote: »
    That one was agreed to and paid for, with the local council too. I'd follow up on that!

How long ago was that?

The last I heard (many years ago) was to make the entrance just along the canal where there used to be an entrance many years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

marko93 wrote: »
    Can anyone who's done 4th year CSSE who still dwells here tell me how the timetable and selecting of modules works?

Remember when you registered back in first year and had to select your other subjects at the very end? That's where you'll choose the modules, it is possible that some modules could run at the same time though or overlap and the system at least when I was there can't tell. Timetable should be up on the CS department site so have a look. Think you have 2 weeks to change your choice of modules too from the start of term, might be worth while going to a few of the classes to make your mind up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

edit : also can't you top up the mycard from the inter webs ? (I have very little knowledge of it as I had finished when it showed up)

You definitely could 2 years ago.

how much do you think it costs to install and run a card machine / atm and the transaction costs ? because its not cheap, especially if your not using it for 1/4 of the year.

also students tend not to be flush with cash , transaction fees mean that its really not worth processing transactions under a 10er. How many times have you gone to the SU / shop and wanted to spend over a 10er in one go ?

Small transactions are the point of contactless though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Small transactions are the point of contactless though.

retailers still pay a lot to have the machines in , if your mcdonalds and you operate on a 50+% profit margin its fine to do thousands of transactions a day thats grand. If your the SU shop making nothing on a pack of rollies or 5 cent on a chocolate bar, you lose money every time anyone shops there.

coffee is the only profitable thing in the SU shop, similar with the phoenix and the bar , these are not profit making establishments, a 25 cent fee on each transaction could ruin them .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

CSSE09 wrote: »
    Remember when you registered back in first year and had to select your other subjects at the very end? That's where you'll choose the modules, it is possible that some modules could run at the same time though or overlap and the system at least when I was there can't tell. Timetable should be up on the CS department site so have a look. Think you have 2 weeks to change your choice of modules too from the start of term, might be worth while going to a few of the classes to make your mind up.

Yeah I was thinking along the lines of that. I just think it's a right shame there isn't some form of "orientation" about the modules on offer to give a brief overview or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Emilysweetmm

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but:
    When do we register online (as first years)? Apparantly we recieve an e-mail with detailed instructions on how to register and pay fees. Are we supposed to have recieved this e-mail by now?

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but:
    When do we register online (as first years)? Apparantly we recieve an e-mail with detailed instructions on how to register and pay fees. Are we supposed to have recieved this e-mail by now?

They'll be sent out in staggered batches (so the creaky useless servers can cope- they'll prob still crash ! ) from the 7th - 10th of sept :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Just checked what my timetable might be next semester. Does anybody know what building the rooms CB9 and CB3 are in? Checked the index of the campus map and doesn't mention it.

Zemuppet wrote: »
    Just checked what my timetable might be next semester. Does anybody know what building the rooms CB9 and CB3 are in? Checked the index of the campus map and doesn't mention it.

I'm having the same with CB3&4 :pac:

My guess is its the new rooms in callan that are replacing the old compu sci dpt

• Advertisement

Yes, the CB rooms are in Callan building.

Advertisement