Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12: Munster vs Leinster, Sat 31 March 7:30pm, Live on RTÉ2

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Leinster
    emmet02 wrote: »
    I once tried to shout louder than the crazy guy on Grafton street.

I soon became hoarse and everyone was annoyed at me too.

I feel there is a lesson that we can learn from this.
    Move to O'Connell street & be 1 of many crazy shouty guys? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Clegg wrote: »
    Darcy and Earls containing the French centres doesn't makes Cave and Wallaces achievements any less significant.

Earls managed to make a few decent breaks as well.
    MOD had at least 4 locks that were better than him during his international career so of course he didn't get that many caps. Cave is different as there is only 1 player that is better than him in his position. It just so happens that BOD hasn't missed many games due to injury.

All a matter of opinion as to whether Cave is the 2nd best centre around. He hasn't really been tested like Earls & McFadden has been.
    Yes Cave has so far proven to be injury prone but he is a vital part of Ulsters team when fit. It would be foolish for an international coach to ignore players due to previous injury.

Paddy Wallace is also very vital to Ulster - doesn't make him anywhere near vital for Ireland.
    I apologise if I've misunderstood your argument but you've gone on about pace so much that I'm not really sure what your trying to say.

Apology accepted.

What I've been trying to say is that pace is as important as nearly every other skill that you need to play internationally and it won't be apparent with Cave until he plays a top 6 international team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Dylan Hartley
    Although Earls has been tested at the top level, he really benefited not having to face that Welsh backline in the defensive system in place at the time. Of course it was out of his control, but it took the lessons learned in this game for DK to change the passive, drifting defensive system employed against Wales, and the massive Welsh backs were able to wreak havoc.

That game probably ended any hope for McFadden at 13, and although Earls may have coped better, it was "fortunate" (if that's the right word) that he didn't have to face that test.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Although Earls has been tested at the top level, he really benefited not having to face that Welsh backline in the defensive system in place at the time. Of course it was out of his control, but it took the lessons learned in this game for DK to change the passive, drifting defensive system employed against Wales, and the massive Welsh backs were able to wreak havoc.

That game probably ended any hope for McFadden at 13, and although Earls may have coped better, it was "fortunate" (if that's the right word) that he didn't have to face that test.

Give earls some credit. He has been hammered for his defence in the past (though it was never a big issue when playing for Munster - just shows). He has worked hard on it. D'Arcy has made some fairly high profile misses (indeed BOD has too), but no one makes a big deal about those. McFadden is next in line after Earls.

I once tried to shout louder than the crazy guy on Grafton street.

I soon became hoarse and everyone was annoyed at me too.

I feel there is a lesson that we can learn from this.

you didn't learn any lesson from that experience ? ha, still want to be the centre of attention ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Dylan Hartley
    jm08 wrote: »
    Luke was muck at fullback when he played there recently for both ireland and leinster. The only position shaggy could play was 14 (he was a terrible 12 at international level anyway) and I don't think i've seen him play fullback or at 11, ever. Possibly because who ever was coaching him didn't think he was good enough to play there and left him at 14 where he was good.
    Yes, you've said that already but it still doesn't negate the generality of what I'm saying.

In my opinion the back three can be interchanged, but throwing them into the centre is not such a good idea.

Dylan Hartley
    jm08 wrote: »
    Give earls some credit. He has been hammered for his defence in the past (though it was never a big issue when playing for Munster - just shows). He has worked hard on it. D'Arcy has made some fairly high profile misses (indeed BOD has too), but no one makes a big deal about those. McFadden is next in line after Earls.

D'Arcy's missed tackles and general poor form has been the hot topic of most Irish rugby forums, so I have no idea where you get that from.

I was not taking away from Earls' improvement, but it is very true that Wales would have been by far the biggest test of the whole 6 Nations for his defence. I can't criticise him for something that didn't happen, but it is important nonetheless.

McFadden, all options being available, should not be behind Earls, unless you are suggesting Earls isn't first choice (BOD excepted), which I highly doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hottowel

I can't believe how quickly earls defence has improved, over this season his defence has gone from been a weakness to almost one of his strengths

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dylan Hartley
    Hottowel wrote: »
    I can't believe how quickly earls defence has improved, over this season his defence has gone from been a weakness to almost one of his strengths
    His defense was Excellent last season when he was playing the same position consistently. Especially in the 6 nation's

People see what they want though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Hottowel wrote: »

I don't think it was ever as bad as people on here were saying. Two bad missed tackles on Davies and Tualagi set a lot of it out

His positioning was more a problem than his technique IMO but he seems to have sorted a lot of that out

• Advertisement

Dylan Hartley
    Got in before me, his positioning was the problem.

Advertisement