Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12: Munster vs Leinster, Sat 31 March 7:30pm, Live on RTÉ2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Dylan Hartley
    Sandwlch wrote: »
    Absolutely keep Madigan at Leinster - but certainly not as a bench warmer. The only question is whether it is him or Sexton to develop as a 2nd five-eighth. To replace Darcy. The sooner the better. Good for Leinster, good for Ireland.

(And BTW, how come Joe seems to escape the criticism that Kidney gets when selecting Darcy?)

And I aint stupid.

Ehm...because Joe wins things and knows what he's doing? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Tox56 wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread, but most people seem to be suggesting Madigan should go to Munster. Surely if he was going to move, he would be best served to go to Ulster? A young, exciting backline, where 10 is probably the weakest area. He would probably have a field day there.

For now though, I think he would be best served to stay in Leinster. People seem to forget, 1 injury at 10 and that's it, we have nobody (once Berquist leaves). As has been said already, Madigan has played more for Leinster than Sexton this year, and if Sexton gets injured he moves straight in.

He's only just turned 23, and we need to see how he develops before sending him off. Give him a few more years, possibly getting a few HEC games and constant Rabo play where he can earn an Irish bench spot, and then we will talk. There is no need to offload him anywhere soon.

Given his talent I really can't see him being happy to be warming the bench in the HC for the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Dylan Hartley
    Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Given his talent I really can't see him being happy to be warming the bench in the HC for the next few years

In 1/2 years, do you think Madigan will be trusted enough to play a pool game or two? I certainly think it's possible, not to mention the probability of a Sexton injury in that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

In 1/2 years, do you think Madigan will be trusted enough to play a pool game or two? I certainly think it's possible, not to mention the probability of a Sexton injury in that time.

I think he's ready now tbh and there's not many teams in the competition where he wouldn't be the starting ten

Dylan Hartley
    Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I think he's ready now tbh and there's not many teams in the competition where he wouldn't be the starting ten

The players and coaches around him are developing him to be a top player, he doesn't need to leave that environment any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Madigan would be starting 10 for every team in Ireland bar Leinster.

And even then, I don't think Joe considers him far off Sexton's place.

Both awesome players. I think Madigan would be crazy to leave to Munster. They don't play the Leinster way and I have a feeling ROG wouldn't be too warming to being dropped at Munster and might be a little disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Leinster
    I haven't read the whole thread, but most people seem to be suggesting Madigan should go to Munster. Surely if he was going to move, he would be best served to go to Ulster? A young, exciting backline, where 10 is probably the weakest area. He would probably have a field day there.

Two words: Tax Break

As long as the current system is in place there will be very few head north from Leinster & Munster...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ha Ha you read the indo!!!!

Even worse, someone bought it on the OLSC bus! I just nabbed it for the Match Day article. To be honest I want those 5 minutes of my life back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

danthefan wrote: »
    What? With the way the game was reffed that's just completely wrong. Leinster got basically no advantage out of it because Owens refused to see he was the issue.

I meant that he was absolutely woeful, contributed nothing, stifled any possibility of set piece ball for Munster. Munster were effectively playing with 14 players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Higher wrote: »

He wouldn't though. The chances of McGahan selecting him ahead of ROG would be precisely zero. Keatley couldn't even get off the bench last night despite how poor ROG was.

• Advertisement

Actually I'm surprised there hasn't been more made of O'Gara's performance last night. He was muck! Missing kicks, knocking on, bad out of hand kicks. No idea what happened there.

You're right though, if Keatley cant get on when O'Gara is as poor as he was then theres little hope for him. Although Keatley has been very poor himself. Madigan is a huge step up.

I'm sorry but people laughed at me when I advocated Madigan for the 6N over ROG. I wonder if they're still laughing? Whatever about Madigan's inexperience hes been playing better than ROG all season.

RuggieBear wrote: »
    if owens is going to ref it like this, it would be better for the game to make scrums incontestable...

Just going through the thread and saw this... Funny I had to quote it, because clearly he [Owens] tried to... :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dylan Hartley

He already has. He started against Montpellier at home this season. He also came one for 20 against Bath and Glasgow I think.

And even then, I don't think Joe considers him far off Sexton's place.

Both awesome players. I think Madigan would be crazy to leave to Munster. They don't play the Leinster way and I have a feeling ROG wouldn't be too warming to being dropped at Munster and might be a little disruptive.

Madigan is doing well but it's a bit much to say he'd be starting ahead of Humphries and ROG for their respective provinces. He's still a distance to go yet, but he is on the way.

He would definitely start ahead of ROG on the basis of form this season.

He would definitely start ahead of ROG on the basis of form this season.

except without appearances there is no form
    and to be selected ahead of ROG he'd have to be in the same team
    and to be in the same team means no appearances

settle padwan, I feel you are wound up about this a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Dylan Hartley
    Great win last night. Not a great match but great atmosphere. Was sitting in the stand opposite to where the teams come out at the right hand end and there were loads of Leinster fans and we got some great renditions of Molly Molone going. On the pitch the game was wrecked by Owens but Leinsters bench is simply awesome-Strauss, Cullen, SOB, Boss, Madigan and Mcfadden all played their part in upping the intensity once the game hit 9-9. I think we will hammer Cardiff next week. As for Munster well they competed manfully but any team would miss POC, Ryan, Wallace, Murray and Howlett. Munster fans very gracious in defeat but I honestly think Ulster will turn them over next week. Also fascinating to see Schmidt training with the backs before the game. The guy is obviously fit as a fiddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster
    This has to be the quietest Munster vs Leinster thread in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Most Munster fans I met last night were fairly depressed.

No one was disputing the result in the slightest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dylan Hartley
    No, even the headline on the Munster website is fairly depressing for a Munster fan.

Munster Way Off The Pace

Even though this top of the table RaboDirect PR012 clash was tied nine points apiece with twenty seven minutes to go it was no great surprise that Leinster ended up comfortable 18-9 winners, at a packed Thomond Park Stadium
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/10313.php

Dylan Hartley
    Hate to challenge the great Joe, but surely a breakdown dominated game would have suited Strauss more than Cronin, with Cronin increasing the impact of that bench even more.

If it was purely gametime I can understand, but Strauss would have had a field day at the breakdown, similar to how Varley did.

Still, got away with a win, and Strauss will surely be back for Cardiff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Hate to challenge the great Joe, but surely a breakdown dominated game would have suited Strauss more than Cronin, with Cronin increasing the impact of that bench even more.

If it was purely gametime I can understand, but Strauss would have had a field day at the breakdown, similar to how Varley did.

Still, got away with a win, and Strauss will surely be back for Cardiff.

Would think that was mostly due to Cronin needing games after getting scant game time in the last 2 months; he only got 40 minutes in the 6N. He wasn't up to speed to be involved in the Ospreys game so needed this one ahead of next week if he's called upon.

It stands out as the only selection that wasn't really in keeping with the selection overall. Every other call was to secure the breakdown and set piece with the big carriers coming into things in the last 20-25 minutes to raise the tempo and secure the win. Worked a treat but Cronin would have been tailor made for it if he didn't need match fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

Dylan Hartley
    Does Pope realise that Madigan has played more rugby than Sexton this season?

Not a waste when he's getting quality coaching from Schmidt. Leinster play a lovely passing game and Mads passing is spectacular.

Dylan Hartley
    ongarite wrote: »
    With Horgan retiring I think its pretty certain he will get a new contract if he wants it.
    He is probably the 4th choice winger after Isa, Luke & D.Kearney

Sure I saw somewhere this week that Carr had signed a new one year contract w/Leinster

Dylan Hartley
    From what I saw Zebo hardly touched the ball.

Didn't do much with the ball but gave Isa a serious thump in an off-the-ball incident, right in front of the linesman but it wasn't dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Just some (now sober) thoughts on the game...

Darce had a bit of a mare last night. Didn't think he was up to his once high standards. If he can't find form I would be hoping we can gently start moving him out of the starting 15. Obviously he has an advantage when it comes to his partnership with BOD and there was a particular bit of lovely play last night where BOD offloaded to his right just knowing Darce was there but overall he was poor.

I don't know where the sudden debate over Madigan is coming from considering his form already this season. Has had a cracker of a season. Loved his cheeky little drop goal. Should be aiming for a bench spot in Ireland which brings me onto...

Ronan O'Gara. I love him for all he has done and will never doubt his commitment to the Red or the Green but he is a fading force. I'll never doubt his boot but the rest of his game, which was never really rounded anyway, is on its way out. If rugby was played like American football where you can bring on ROG to just do the kicks then he would be playing rugby into his 50's but it isn't. If Munster don't find a suitable replacement or give Keatley a chance to sink or swim then they will be having huge problems very soon. Had an argument with two friends last night (committed Leinster fans) that ROG has gone to pot. They wouldn't agree and just kept commenting on his "control of the game". I'm not entirely sure they know what that means and that it has scope outside of his fantastic boot. Sadly, age is catching up very fast with the great man.

Again, Nigel Owens was pure muck.

The first half as a spectacle was horrible. The second half improved. The scrum was a mess and I thought Mike Ross was very hard done by getting a yellow.

SOB and Mike Ross where both able to pass from the ruck without taking a few steps. Tomas O'Leary take note...

I remain unconvinced by Zebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Teferi wrote: »
    I remain unconvinced by Zebo.

Me too. But he may improve.

At the moment he reminds me of a good gaelic footballer who has decide have a go at rugby and is put out on the wing to see how he gets on - athletic, quick, and keen - but seems to lack rugby, as opposed to general 'footballing', instinct and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dylan Hartley
    D'Arcy just wasn't poor. If you are saying D'Arcy was poor I'd love to know what you are basing it on. It's completely incorrect as far as I'm concerned.

People are looking at his performance for its attacking qualities. He wasn't used in that regard yesterday. What he did do was quite limited but very effective. He defended well, he fought on the ground and in open play he carried intelligently and ensured we kept the ball.

In attack Leinster had no interest in using D'Arcy or O'Driscoll. They were being smart. Munsters defense from pillar out to Earls is fantastic. There is not a hope of getting through the A, B, or C gaps in the center of the field, unless play breaks up. So when they had the ball in possession they put it wide, looking to put a carrier like Kearney outside Earls at pace to create a 2 v. 1 on their wingers, both of whom have a history of poor defensive positioning and it showed. Zebo was caught narrow and Murphy was caught deep.

D'Arcy was poor for Ireland in the 6 Nations because he was incapable of contributing where he was being asked. The opposite was true last night for both him and O'Driscoll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

What did people think of Luke last night. I was frustrated at his unwillingness to pass. He kept trying to go for glory. Running through the middle from inside his 22.
    Seemed to be trying too hard.

durkadurka wrote: »
    What did people think of Luke last night. I was frustrated at his unwillingness to pass. He kept trying to go for glory. Running through the middle from inside his 22.
    Seemed to be trying too hard.

I wouldn't say 'going for glory' by running into contact from his own 22. However, Fitz's offload has come off well over the past while, and my only thought is that was team orders - straighten up, take the ball to ground, deliver ball, rinse and repeat until some gaps opened up. Couple of times I would've liked to see him put a grubber through, and a couple of times he forced his game by coming onto the ball too hot, but other than that he was solid. Wasn't exactly a game for wingers to stand out... I thought he looked hungry in the first half. I was there, so can't comment, but the second almost Kearney try was a beautiful piece of opertunistic play - I'm gonna watch the replay, but it looked to me he kept it in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

CatFromHue wrote: »
    No, even the headline on the Munster website is fairly depressing for a Munster fan.

In that article, is DOC obscuring someone or is that actually MOD's effort at a lift?!

Advertisement