Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12: Munster vs Leinster, Sat 31 March 7:30pm, Live on RTÉ2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

danthefan wrote: »
    The commentary certainly was. Thought the panel were a bit better, like they highlighted the fact the problem with the scrum was Horan for example.

The RTÉ commentary is always going to be biased towards Munster. The stall was set out long ago and the stereotypes were put in place (Munster - hard working, honorable men of the land : Leinster - cappucino drinking, snooty bankers' sons) and now it's easier for them to carry on with that rather than being a bit objective. Then again, this is RTÉ we're talking about. They're a semi-state institution in a banana republic. What do we expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Dylan Hartley
    For a panel that consisted of mostly Munster men, I thought it was surprisingly objective. I did notice that Hook was a lot grumpier because Daire O'Brien didn't let him away with the same old guff that McGuirk does. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Leinster
    The RTÉ commentary is always going to be biased towards Munster. The stall was set out long ago and the stereotypes were put in place (Munster - hard working, honorable men of the land : Leinster - cappucino drinking, snooty bankers' sons) and now it's easier for them to carry on with that rather than being a bit objective. Then again, this is RTÉ we're talking about. They're a semi-state institution in a banana republic. What do we expect?

Probably worth pointing out that Ryle Nugent (head of RTE sport, btw) was educated at Blackrock College, maybe he's trying to hard to appear objective and not favour Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Dylan Hartley
    I thought the complete opposite.

Nugent was completely favouring Leinster.

Leinster scored their first penalty after about, 4 minutes, and he came out with "Munster have it all to do now!"

Also he went berserk for Kerney's "Try" telling everyone what a superb finish it was, even though it was so clear that he hadn't been in control of the ball at all. Ryle was too busy celebrating and it took him a good 15 to 20 seconds to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

DDC1990 wrote: »

Leinster scored their first penalty after about, 4 minutes, and he came out with "Munster have it all to do now!"

Also he went berserk for Kerney's "Try" telling everyone what a superb finish it was, even though it was so clear that he hadn't been in control of the ball at all. Ryle was too busy celebrating and it took him a good 15 to 20 seconds to notice.

I think he threw in auld TOOOOMY BOWE!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dylan Hartley

he spent the whole match going on about how great Munster where.....

I gathered from the try he was watching the game live and not on the TV, he said he was looking straight across at it and it looked a try. And if Kearney have touched it down it would have been a superb try so for once can't complain there..also question why Kearney went running down the pitch slapping team mates hands, he had to know it wasn't a try

Everything after that was about the great Munster, the one thing is they all seem to never look beyond Isa for MOM. It is getting to be a bit of a joke now, everytime RTE are covering the match and it is live then Isa will get MOM. He was good yesterday but I thought Jennings was best, Isa done nothing in first half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

He was watching live and couldn't tell from where he was. It was only on the replay (15 or 20 seconds later) that he could correct himself. Nugent might be a pain but I find him relatively balanced. He talks some rubbish but not with any agenda. He regularly talks up Munster but he's a Leinster fan. He's fairly even handed in his cringeworthy talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Everything after that was about the great Munster, the one thing is they all seem to never look beyond Isa for MOM. It is getting to be a bit of a joke now, everytime RTE are covering the match and it is live then Isa will get MOM. He was good yesterday but I thought Jennings was best, Isa done nothing in first half

Agree. Isa was dangerous but he was only dangerous because he had space made for him. His breaks down the wing were because of excellent handling inside him and his break off the line out was due to a set move and a wonderful pass from Boss. He was good but definitely not the best player on display. Any of the Leinster back row would have been more worthy recipients. They all popped up again and again, making a mess of the breakdown and getting through huge amounts of work. Thought Kearney was very sharp too. Made one of Isa's breaks and made Fitz's break down the line in the first half with quick hands. Showed good awareness to drop quickly and read TOL's kick on turnover ball and was his usual self under the high ball. The influence of Schmidt is telling in his running too and his distribution has improved significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Dylan Hartley
    I couldn't tell live if Kearney's 'try' was a try, but if Nugent thought it was then it was a superb finish. I too don't think he has an agenda.

For example, neither of the commentators picked up the pull and early tackle on Isa that could easily have been a penalty try.

Dylan Hartley
    Tox56 wrote: »
    I couldn't tell live if Kearney's 'try' was a try, but if Nugent thought it was then it was a superb finish. I too don't think he has an agenda.

For example, neither of the commentators picked up the pull and early tackle on Isa that could easily have been a penalty try.

Wouldn't have been a penalty try, was too far out and had a long way to go, I would have guessed a penalty and yellow card. But of course we had "blind" Dave as ref!

• Advertisement

Kearney's try was good. I paused and rewound several times. TJ was wrong with the call on Luke's foot.

Was understandable though.

Dylan Hartley
    Read through thread last night when watching the game but was surprised at the few comments made about the number 13 position. Earls v BOD. I think BOD had an ok game but is far from match fitness but Earls didn't have a good game. I didn't even notice Earls till he got an injury. I think Earls would be better out on the wing where he can show what he can do and the IRFU should concentrate on getting EOM up to speed ASAP.

For NZ I hope BOD takes a rest for next season and Ireland bring EOM over and get him a few caps. I can't see this happening with Kidney but that is what I would like to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Leinster
    Wouldn't have been a penalty try, was too far out and had a long way to go, I would have guessed a penalty and yellow card. But of course we had "blind" Dave as ref!

In Dave's defence, I don't think we can blame him for that one, given that Nigel Owens was the ref...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Dylan Hartley
    Read through thread last night when watching the game but was surprised at the few comments made about the number 13 position. Earls v BOD. I think BOD had an ok game but is far from match fitness but Earls didn't have a good game. I didn't even notice Earls till he got an injury. I think Earls would be better out on the wing where he can show what he can do and the IRFU should concentrate on getting EOM up to speed ASAP.

For NZ I hope BOD takes a rest for next season and Ireland bring EOM over and get him a few caps. I can't see this happening with Kidney but that is what I would like to see.
    Earls did nothing?

Try nullifying one of the greatest midfields of all time in BOD and D'Arcy, with his tackling.

At least Sexton and D'Arcy got the ball into the 13 channel for BOD to get a few attacks.

Mafi and O'Gara were ineffective in getting any ball wide.

To say you didn't notice Earls until the injury says more about you then Earls TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dylan Hartley

In Dave's defence, I don't think we can blame him for that one, given that Nigel Owens was the ref...
    Ah yeah we can still assign him maybe 25% of the blame. It's like original sin

Dylan Hartley

Earls did nothing?

Try nullifying one of the greatest midfields of all time in BOD and D'Arcy, with his tackling.

At least Sexton and D'Arcy got the ball into the 13 channel for BOD to get a few attacks.

To say you didn't notice Earls until the injury says more about you then Earls TBH.

I thought BOD and Earls did very little in attack but were both pretty good in defence. BOD wasn't used in many attacking plays, I suggest intentionally.

Amazing how quickly Darce goes from a 'has been' at Twickenham to one of the greatest midfield partnerships ever. Maybe in the past but certainly no longer.

I no longer fear Earls in green at 13, but would far prefer someone else gets a genuine chance. I believe Cave, Griffin and EOM are perfectly capable of playing at least as well, but possibly better than Earls, given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

Saw this on one of the papers this morning.

532353_10150630386061650_320680996649_9536233_69391520_n.jpg

A great photo.

I doubt anyone thinks that this is true any more

Dylan Hartley
    Tox56 wrote: »
    I thought BOD and Earls did very little in attack but were both pretty good in defence. BOD wasn't used in many attacking plays, I suggest intentionally.

Amazing how quickly Darce goes from a 'has been' at Twickenham to one of the greatest midfield partnerships ever. Maybe in the past but certainly no longer.

I no longer fear Earls in green at 13, but would far prefer someone else gets a genuine chance. I believe Cave, Griffin and EOM are perfectly capable of playing at least as well, but possibly better than Earls, given the chance.
    I'm beginning to fear (for Earls' sake) that he could end up becoming the new Paddy Wallace. He's been used all over the back line for Ireland and Munster (I think in his first full season for Munster he started every position from 11 to 15 at least twice) and may end up being considered a good back up option but not a starter.

If BOD is back for Ireland, Earls may get shuffled to the wing, but then he's in direct competition with so many wingers who've been played there consistently. He's getting to an age now where he needs to cement a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Dylan Hartley
    rrpc wrote: »
    He's getting to an age now where he needs to cement a position.

That's what he is trying to do. At 13.

While I have been happy enough with his performances there, he will need to show some more attacking flair to hold off players like EOM and Cave for the jersey.

• Advertisement

Dylan Hartley
    Otacon wrote: »

While I have been happy enough with his performances there, he will need to show some more attacking flair to hold off players like EOM and Cave for the jersey.
    And for the next year or possibly more (unless BOD drops form, gets injured or retires) he won't. In the meantime the EOMs and Caves etc. will continue to develop and may well overtake Keith for the green 13.

And then what happens?

Dylan Hartley
    rrpc wrote: »
    He's getting to an age now where he needs to cement a position.

He needs to worry about holding off Casey Laulala first.

Dylan Hartley

Sorry losing the plot altogether......too may yagerbombers at brothers wedding....still in recovery mode......

Dylan Hartley
    Earls did nothing?

One of the greatest midfield in of all time? ok maybe a few years ago. BOD is just trying to get anywhere near match fitness. D'Arcy has had a poor season and I hope McFadden start next week.

So what Earls done was nullify a man who is less than half match fitness and a player who over the last 2 season has shown he is not there anymore.

Instead of attacking the post, why don't you post about what Earls done? I stand by what I say, I seen nothing of Earls till the injury and that was the only time the match had any concentration on him. He done nothing. He was good in defense. Great, that is not what a number 13 should be doing. I am not slagging off Earls. He should be on the wing. Bring on EOM. A proper number 13. Replace BOD, or we can try and kill BOD playing him in games when he should be taking rest time.

Dylan Hartley
    One of the greatest midfield in of all time? ok maybe a few years ago. BOD is just trying to get anywhere near match fitness. D'Arcy has had a poor season and I hope McFadden start next week.

So what Earls done was nullify a man who is less than half match fitness and a player who over the last 2 season has shown he is not there anymore.

Instead of attacking the post, why don't you post about what Earls done? I stand by what I say, I seen nothing of Earls till the injury and that was the only time the match had any concentration on him. He done nothing. He was good in defense. Great, that is not what a number 13 should be doing. I am not slagging off Earls. He should be on the wing. Bring on EOM. A proper number 13. Replace BOD, or we can try and kill BOD playing him in games when he should be taking rest time.

I think you're going a bit overboard on Earls, but other options need to be tried at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Dylan Hartley

If BOD was less than half match fittness, I doubt he would have played the full 80 :rolleyes:. Earls had a very good game considering his side was never on top. He was the main organizer of the backline which held Leinster tryless and allowed little to no breaks in midfield. He made one or two decent half breaks too.

If a 13 is judged solely on their work going forward, BOD hasn't been a great player since 2009. Its a good thing that they're not, as defense is just as important as attack. Its funny how Earls defense was always used as the basis for most criticisms of his ability at 13, but now that he has proved himself capable, it's now his inability to make clean breaks against the top team in the NH that is the benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Do you seriously think laulala is that much a better player than earls and laulala has a 2 year contract and can only be replaced at that stage by an IQ centre.

I just don't see one of earls, zebo & howlett being dropped for him.

Dylan Hartley
    jm08 wrote: »

Do you seriously think laulala is that much a better player than earls and laulala has a 2 year contract and can only be replaced at that stage by an IQ centre.

I just don't see one of earls, zebo & howlett being dropped for him.
    Do you think Munster signed him with the intention of putting him on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Considering he is about the same age as cave & O'malley, with his 30 odd ireland caps, he has a bit of an edge over all of them.

Cave didn't make the world cup squad, he is now 26. O'malley & McFadden are well ahead of him id say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Dylan Hartley
    jm08 wrote: »
    Considering he is about the same age as cave & O'malley, with his 30 odd ireland caps, he has a bit of an edge over all of them.

Cave didn't make the world cup squad, he is now 26. O'malley & McFadden are well ahead of him id say.
    Cave was injured all last season

Did anyone see Les Kiss in today's Herald. O'Driscoll has to earn the 13 shirt back from incombent Earls.

Advertisement