Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Will the old NTL skinny grey pace box have this on demand service??[/QUOTE]

If you Press the "On Demand" button on your NTL remote and it gives this message http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78344075&postcount=21 it should work. If nothing happens after a few seconds, I doubt those boxes will work for the new service

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Anyone know if there is a catalogue online as to what is/will be available from the service got the invo in D1 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Hi Jack presley

Just to clarify - one third of all homes in Dublin will get On Demand instantly that’s over 160,000 homes with the correct UPC Set Top Box from tomorrow.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jason

Jason does seem to be confirming there that it's 1/3 of all homes in Dublin and not just UPC homes. I'm taking that this is the number of compatible homes in Dublin. In which case everybody with compatible boxes in Dublin may get it tomorrow except Swords and Malahide. I live in Monkstown in South Dublin. I have a Digital + Box and a Digital + HD box. I didn't receive a letter and had thought that maybe I'll have to wait till July. But maybe I won't. We'll see in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Will the old NTL skinny grey pace box have this on demand service??

If you Press the "On Demand" button on your NTL remote and it gives this message http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78344075&postcount=21 it should work. If nothing happens after a few seconds, I doubt those boxes will work for the new service[/Quote]

No mine does not do that

But theres an ondemand button on my remote

So this service must be only for people with the HD and the rewind/forward boxes I have cable max with the standard box that they gave out since 2005 I doubt this box will be capable o well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

My ondemand has changed to a new message. I can't read it all as the text rolls off the screen to the right. It states the service is not available and to check UPC.ie for more information. Location is city centre, Dublin 8. I know HD isn't here yet. Perhaps you need HD service to get it? I did get the pizza notice. Tomorrow will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

My ondemand has changed to a new message. I can't read it all as the text rolls off the screen to the right. It states the service is not available and to check UPC.ie for more information. Location is city centre, Dublin 8. I know HD isn't here yet. Perhaps you need HD service to get it? I did get the pizza notice. Tomorrow will tell.

I'm in Dublin 8, James Hospital area and I get the same text on the screen, but we do have the HD service and I got the pizza offer...go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

folks, calm down until tomorrow. You'll find out then if you have it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Hi Jack presley

Just to clarify - one third of all homes in Dublin will get On Demand instantly that’s over 160,000 homes with the correct UPC Set Top Box from tomorrow.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jason

Jason, what an amateurish way to announce a new service!! U would think UPC would have had a big lead up to this to get the people who don't have the correct set top box to change over( and earn UPC more money), the announcements over the last few days don't make sense, whoever is in charge of marketing should get the boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Dodge wrote: »

Do u think sky would announce a new service in this way? That's why people are annoyed and confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi biggebruv

The majority of our set top boxes are capable of receiving the ON Demand functionality.

If however, your box isn't compatible, we would be happy to swap it out for you.

One easy way is to self install, which costs a once off fee of just €30 – if however, you need some help – it will cost a once off fee of €45 to get a technician out to provide you with this assistance.

Regards

Jason
    biggebruv wrote: »
    Whats the crroect box though ?

Will the old NTL skinny grey pace box have this on demand service??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi zg3409

No. It is essentially a streaming service over the set top box on your TV set – it is not a download to own service.

Regards

Jason

zg3409 wrote: »
    Hi Jason,

Is the data downloaded via the streaming service counted as broadband traffic in relation to the 500GB cap?

shane. wrote: »
    Dodge wrote: »

Do u think sky would announce a new service in this way? That's why people are annoyed and confused!
    Was straight forward to me. Got my notification in the post too. Don't see a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Hi biggebruv

The majority of our set top boxes are capable of receiving the ON Demand functionality.

If however, your box isn't compatible, we would be happy to swap it out for you.

One easy way is to self install, which costs a once off fee of just €30 – if however, you need some help – it will cost a once off fee of €45 to get a technician out to provide you with this assistance.

Regards

Jason

Thats a bit crazy just cause I have an outdated box I have to pay 30euro for the replacement new box if I want the extra free service

Iv 3 rooms with UPC all with the same ntl pace box so they would all have to be replaced to receive UPC-OD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

Got up and had a quick glance to see if it was working this morning and huzzah it is. I'm down in ballybrack south Dublin in case people are checking areas, will have a proper look when home later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

recyclops wrote: »
    Got up and had a quick glance to see if it was working this morning and huzzah it is. I'm down in ballybrack south Dublin in case people are checking areas, will have a proper look when home later

Had a quick glance myself before going to work and its working in Tallaght too. The box set section looks like a good start but it wont be a netflix killer just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What time was it up and running? I checked before I left this morning before 7 and I was still getting the message that it wasn't available. D15 by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

What time was it up and running? I checked before I left this morning before 7 and I was still getting the message that it wasn't available. D15 by the way

I checked around 6am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Up and running here in Lucan.

Cazale wrote: »

I checked around 6am.

Thanks. Looks like I'm not one of the 160,000 homes then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Working for me too. Had a little play with it before work, as I said content is king and there isn't a huge pile of it yet. The highlights are all in the Best of BBC section, including
    - The entire Christopher Eccleston and almost the entire David Tennant eras of Doctor Who, along with An Unearthly Child (the very first story from 1963).
    - Ashes to Ashes
    -The Black Adder and Blackadder II
    -Yes, Prime Minister
    -House of Cards

There's also Skins (oddly in the ITV section), Blue Bloods and some others but the selection is fairly limited and won't kill HMV just yet .

Briefly tried the RTE Player , appears limited compared to the Internet version, no TV50 for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

I'm in Monkstown in South County Dublin. I didn't get any letter yesterday and sure enough I don't have On Demand this morning. I'm getting the red button prompt on RTE 1 and 2, TV3 and MGM Movies, but when I click the button it still says "Service not Available". I'm getting a UPC On Demand button on the Menu screen but when I press it the same message comes up. The UPC On Demand channel is appearing at 119 but it says "You are not subscribed to this channel". It appears that people's original assumption was right and not everybody in Dublin will get this service today and I appear to be one of the unlucky ones who don't have it yet. Very jealous of those of you who have it. Enjoy it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Getting the service unavailable message in Stillorgan as well - I'm in a no HD area.

Flip Flop wrote: »
    I'm in Monkstown in South County Dublin. I didn't get any letter yesterday and sure enough I don't have On Demand this morning. I'm getting the red button prompt on RTE 1 and 2, TV3 and MGM Movies, but when I click the button it still says "Service not Available". I'm getting a UPC On Demand button on the Menu screen but when I press it the same message comes up. The UPC On Demand channel is appearing at 119 but it says "You are not subscribed to this channel". It appears that people's original assumption was right and not everybody in Dublin will get this service today and I appear to be one of the unlucky ones who don't have it yet. Very jealous of those of you who have it. Enjoy it though!

Just imagine how much better it would have been had they included the areas that would/wouldn't be getting it in their press release and in all the media coverage.

Instead of having people checking for letters with pizza vouchers and having to check themselves the morning of the launch. The website still only has the original press release. Who does the PR for this lot?

I hope youre reading this Jason! Any chance at this stage of letting us know which areas have/have not got it? Thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

Good start upc. Box sets are free?

Working in D22 non HD area

25 TV shows in the box set. OK start but will need to increase

RTE Player seems to the one the use on iPhone/iPad app (ie doesn't include sport and many others) which is disappointing

Disney player is a big plus in our house

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I wasn't aware of this launch at all until I saw the menu on my D+ (non-HD) box this morning in D14. This is a HD area, but we don't have HD anything in the house. I hope that any additional charges are made clear up front, and stuff doesn't just appear on the bill for no apparent reason. The TV Box Sets are probably the most interesting to me at this point e.g. I've never seen The Good Wife. (Like I didn't watch too much TV already!)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Live here in D6 as well ..

Content looks great ..

Discovery on demand - Nasa's greatest missions was my first look ..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Not working in Dublin 15.

Says:
    Service unavailable. Please go to upc.ie to see when the service will be available.

However I do have an "On Demand" option in my menu now with the other stuff like guide, and settings and Radio etc.

I'm also getting icons on TV3, Discovery and RTE saying press red when I switch to them, but again they come with the above message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

In Dublin 8.

I am getting menu and everything. RTE player, box sets etc are visible.

When I select something on player or box sets and try to play - it's still saying something like - not yet available, contact UPC.

Anyone else have the same issue where menu is accessible but cant play anything???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Similar problem above, but I cannot get that far.

UPC On Demand is on channel 119 - says I'm not subscribed.

Advertisement