Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

What a tacky way to launch this service, a €5 off an order of €25 or more from four star pizza. Really it's a massive marketing mess up. The voucher devalues the service and well, appears to only promote a pizza company. I can't see many (1) reading it and know it's about on-demand or (2) availing of that offer.

I did ask UPC about it on Twitter, go the following response: http://twitter.com/PatrickMooney/status/205605735172816897/photo/1

Marketing aside, I'm wondering about the state of channel 119. Like many, I was hoping for a natural return of More4+1, not another UPC info lite channel.

Can anyone on twitter ask if the coolock area is getting this tomorrow?

Not on twit but It would be nice to know if ill be up and running this service tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

Got the invitation thingy in Dublin 8. Have to agree that the pizza offer is not gonna make anyone pass out with excitement, but looking forward to the service lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

biggebruv wrote: »
    Has nobody in north dub got an invitation thing?

Got one for Dublin 3 this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

Got one in Finglas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Begob

I got to play with this for a while last night at my cousins in Dublin and in my opinion,it's just awesome,it blows sky out of the water.
    Watched platoon via mgm on demand on it.Perfect quality.
    One criticism so far,the rte player selection is a few days out of date but I'm sure they'll fix that.

• Advertisement

Begob wrote: »
    I got to play with this for a while last night at my cousins in Dublin and in my opinion,it's just awesome,it blows sky out of the water.
    One criticism so far,the rte player selection is a few days out of date but I'm sure they'll fix that.

I have the max package so am interested to see what free tv shows are on there did you get a look at some of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Got one in Finglas
    Mates in Artane and Beaumont also confirmed. That's D5&9 covered.

I have the max package so am interested to see what free tv shows are on there did you get a look at some of them?

Also if I have the standard ntl pace box thats done by scart will the HD movies in ondemand not be viewable?

Eamo71 wrote: »

Got one in Finglas
    Mates in Artane and Beaumont also confirmed. That's D5&9 covered.

Cool if artane and beaumont are covered im sure coolock is sorted so

What a tacky way to launch this service, a €5 off an order of €25 or more from four star pizza. Really it's a massive marketing mess up. The voucher devalues the service and well, appears to only promote a pizza company. I can't see many (1) reading it and know it's about on-demand or (2) availing of that offer.

I did ask UPC about it on Twitter, go the following response: http://twitter.com/PatrickMooney/status/205605735172816897/photo/1

Marketing aside, I'm wondering about the state of channel 119. Like many, I was hoping for a natural return of More4+1, not another UPC info lite channel.

Direct marketing is only one facet. It's already got huge coverage in the media and on the social networks. I assume Tv ads next. Handled well so far IMO.

• Advertisement

Also if I have the standard ntl pace box thats done by scart will the HD movies in ondemand not be viewable?

You need a hdmi cable to view HD. Is your Tv HD and does your box have a hdmi socket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Direct marketing is only one facet. It's already got huge coverage in the media and on the social networks. I assume Tv ads next. Handled well so far IMO.

It's a pity in all the 'huge coverage' they left out which areas are going to be live this Friday

I know letters were getting delivered today but surely a list with the press release would have been a better way of doing it? Or maybe an email to those who are getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Only a limited amount were on the trial. You won't know until tomorrow

It's a pity in all the 'huge coverage' they left out which areas are going to be live this Friday

I know letters were getting delivered today but surely a list with the press release would have been a better way of doing it? Or maybe an email to those who are getting it?

They said Dublin homes, and gave areas that weren't included ("Swords/Malahide")

Why are people presuming other areas will miss out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Because they said one third of homes in Dublin will get it. Whether that's a third of homes with UPC or a third of every house in Dublin, that wasn't clear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SteM

With On Demand, catch up Tv and the new Horizon box in Q 3 I'd say there'll be significant migration to UPC. At the very least it'll be fascinating to see what happens.

Not too sure about this. Content is king and Sky still have Atlantic, their HD sports channels and HD movie channels.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How will the update be rolled out?

I am in Dublin 18 with 2 black (I believe HD) PVRs. Will I just turn my boxes on tomorrow and it will be there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I got some letter this morning, appeared to be some spammy pizza cr@p so binned it. Very cool marketing by UPC :rolleyes:

Because they said one third of homes in Dublin will get it. Whether that's a third of homes with UPC or a third of every house in Dublin, that wasn't clear

I'd say its 1/3rd of homes in Dublin have UPC digital. Sounds about right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Justin10

I got this in Dublin 15, went to the channel but said was unavailable?

• Advertisement

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I got this in Dublin 15, went to the channel but said was unavailable?

Because tomorrow is launch day...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

We got the pizza coupon thingy here in Clondalkin,so hopefully that means we will have it when it's launched tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lauraww

can someone who has UPC on demand,tell me what shows they can watch through it on Discovery and Disney also what movies are avilable to view on MGM on demand,and are there any decent movies on True Movies on demand?im mad to see a movie with brian dennehy called in broad daylight,saw it on true movies years ago

SteM wrote: »
    Not too sure about this. Content is king and Sky still have Atlantic, their HD sports channels and HD movie channels.
    A fair point. Not too sure in this age of torrents that "Atlantic" is all that much of an asset. For instance the crowd Game Of Thrones is aimed at would probably be tech savvy enough to know how to watch it "elsewhere".
    UPC will also be showing the latest HD movies BEFORE Sky gets them with the On Demand service. So that leaves Sport. Football in HD will probably be Sky's only calling card by the end of the year.
    But to go back to your point -- content will be the important thing.

Fair enough but sure you'll know by tomorrow one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

In Inchicore. I've had it since last Friday. All week they've been adding more content, especially to the movies. That said it's still VERY limited. If the movie section does get extensive I will never set foot in a video shop again.

Also, I'm awful at paying my UPC bill, so it's nice to see they don't discriminate as to who gets this trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I am happy, not bothered about HD Skysports as I'm not a sub (for this yet) I find it great having ESPN HD, SENTANTA HD, RTE2 HD, EUROSPORT and BBC HD. This will ensure I see a fair bit of sport in HD, from UFC, Euro 2012, Olympics and a lot more. The UFC tv deal in Aug could change my opinion though.

For Skysports I use LOF so happy enough with that solution. UPC Contract is over in Sept if this content is decent enough they'll prob keep me as a tv sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi Jack presley

Just to clarify - one third of all homes in Dublin will get On Demand instantly that’s over 160,000 homes with the correct UPC Set Top Box from tomorrow.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hi Jason,

Is the data downloaded via the streaming service counted as broadband traffic in relation to the 500GB cap?

• Advertisement

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Hi Jack presley

Just to clarify - one third of all homes in Dublin will get On Demand instantly that’s over 160,000 homes with the correct UPC Set Top Box from tomorrow.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jason

Whats the crroect box though ?

Will the old NTL skinny grey pace box have this on demand service??

Advertisement