Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

bob11 wrote: »
    \
    Agreed that they should have it on their website, but they have been pretty active on twitter this morning :

(multiple tweets)

Thanks but I was hoping for something a bit more substantial than a series of photos of models and actors and (God help us!) Martin King- like how does it work?

I found all the tweets and not one of them has a URL embedded so what we are being fed today is a load of fluffy media BS.

You can't fault their marketing people from hyping it up but surely they could have stuck a paragraph or two on the website for the customers? If you read the article on the IT website (link above), you will see that it's a UPC press release reworded to make it look like a reporter in the IT wrote it after getting a briefing from UPC.

The UPC website has links for 'Press' and 'Announcements' but there's zilch about today's announcements. Like I said in my first post, this announcement is all about hype and PR, let's hope by tomorrow they can actually tell us how it will work and give us more details on content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...and why its better then accessing some of these services for free through the internet connection on your TV or computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BostonB wrote: »
    ...and why its better then accessing some of these services for free through the internet connection on your TV or computer.

legalities im sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Can this thread be merged with the other threads which were already merged on this subject ?

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056587272

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

BostonB wrote: »

I can think of 4 reasons

100% legal

Also no need for internet connection

No buffering issues

Will not affect your usage limit ( if you are watching stuff online depending on your provider your usage limit would not last long

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

coylemj wrote: »
    Thanks but I was hoping for something a bit more substantial than a series of photos of models and actors and (God help us!) Martin King- like how does it work?

I found all the tweets and not one of them has a URL embedded so what we are being fed today is a load of fluffy media BS.

You can't fault their marketing people from hyping it up but surely they could have stuck a paragraph or two on the website for the customers? If you read the article on the IT website (link above), you will see that it's a UPC press release reworded to make it look like a reporter in the IT wrote it after getting a briefing from UPC.

The UPC website has links for 'Press' and 'Announcements' but there's zilch about today's announcements. Like I said in my first post, this announcement is all about hype and PR, let's hope by tomorrow they can actually tell us how it will work and give us more details on content.

Here's a copy of the e-mail they sent out to those involved in the pilot trials if that's any use:

5a308.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Will this service be available for MMDS customers also?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

lee3155 wrote: »
    Will this service be available for MMDS customers also?
    No, it needs to be a cabled area for it to work

swampy353 wrote: »

Darn, was looking forward to this :( Surprised they can't do it through MMDS as sky can offer box office and anytime through dish also.

lee3155 wrote: »

Darn, was looking forward to this :( Surprised they can't do it through MMDS as sky can offer box office and anytime through dish also.
    The way anytime works is that when the box is switched off over night, the box downloads shows to it and records to the hard drive.
    The UPC system downloads the content from the Internet as you watch it like YouTube.

• Advertisement

The way anytime works is that when the box is switched off over night, the box downloads shows to it and records to the hard drive.
    The UPC system downloads the content from the Internet as you watch it like YouTube.

Ah right, oh well thanks for the help!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

lauraww wrote: »
    if UPC add The X Files,Star Trek TNG and Voyager to their on demand service i will gladly cancel my Netflix subscription and buy popcorn out of the 7 euro each month

You might be in luck as regards the Star Trek franchise, CBS is mentioned as one of the content providers in the Business Post article linked to above. No mention of Twentieth Century Fox though.

This is a game changer by UPC, its probably the biggest development in TV since the PVR. While on-demand services are nothing new, this is a service which is available with a "lean back" interface, doesn't require you to have any extra hardware, and those without knowledge of computers can use. It certainly gives UPC a USP that Sky doesn't have. The free "box sets" is probably the most attractive feature of the service I reckon - the film rentals appear pricey (certainly pricer than iTunes) and the fact that the content providers are BBC and ITV might mean that most of the iPlayer / ITV Player content we can't access in Ireland might be available.

Content is king. If UPC On-Demand has the right content, it might halt Netflix's entry into the Irish market and might kill Xtra-Vision for good. I'll reserve judgement on that till I see it (hopefully on Friday, if I'm lucky...). The 3Player/RTÉ Player is for me a welcome bonus.

This is what all of us with cable have been waiting for since 2000. Interactive is finally here and if it lives up to the promise it should be good. But we'll have to wait to see if the content matches the potential.

So just a couple of mod notes. No more threads on this issue please. There is a rule on Boards now which people might not be aware of, but basically, you are not allowed quote articles verbatim. Its breach of copyright. Please simply provide the link and a short summary of what the article says.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Is there any information out there on whether this new on-demand service will be available in HD?

I was listening to Dana Strong on Matt Cooper`s show at 6pm this evening and didn`t hear a single mention of HD (my wife walked in during it and I did miss some of the interview)

This service would be very useful if offered in 1080p with HD surround.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Anyone know will D1 be enabled from Friday?

Anyone know will D1 be enabled from Friday?
    There doesnt seem to be any info on what areas in Dublin will get it or not on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Hey guys

In case you didn’t hear or see our latest announcement. UPC earlier today unveiled On Demand TV for Ireland….

What that means is that for the first time, this unique service offers customers the benefit of seven day catch-up TV from the RTÉ Player and 3player and over 1,300 hours of the best box sets and series for free. Additionally, Movies On-Demand is also available at the touch of a button.

Over one third of homes in Dublin will get On Demand instantly on their current UPC TV service from this Friday (25th May) & will become available to the rest of the country throughout the summer.

In essence & for the first time in Ireland, the RTÉ Player and 3player will be available on the digital TV service, available FREE to all UPC Digital TV cable customers. In addition, there are over 1,300 hours of On Demand library content from the most popular TV series from the BBC, ITV, and a range of other leading channels, so customers will always have something to watch, whenever it suits them.

Access to ITV, BBC and US box sets as well as the On Demand content from MGM, True Movies, Food Network, History and Discovery Channel will be available with further new programmes and content being added in the weeks ahead. Additionally, there are complete box sets of award winning US TV, such as Blue Bloods, The Good Wife and Dexter among others - available free of charge to UPC Select and Max customers through their UPC digital remote.

UPC has negotiated with the top Hollywood studios to allow customers to rent from hundreds of movies, including the latest box office hits, directly through their TV at the touch of a button. UPC will provide the latest release movies at the same time as they are available on DVD.

Enjoy the service !

Regards

Jason

Any chance of you telling us which areas will get it Friday or is the surprise element all part of the fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

There is an announcement up on their website now and it does mention HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I remember the days of being lucky to have Sky Sports & the 3 Movie Channels less than 20 years ago...

They've come a long way - On Demand is here

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Any chance of you telling us which areas will get it Friday or is the surprise element all part of the fun?

Link here :

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPC%20unveils%20On%20Demand%20TV%20for%20Ireland.pdf

If you're in the lucky third and not in Swords or Malahide, you're in ..

From Friday: 160,000 homes around Dublin.
    From July: the rest of Dublin (including Swords and Malahide)

Over one third of homes in Dublin will get On Demand instantly on their current
    UPC TV service. It will become available to the rest of the country throughout the summer to reach
    over 600,000 Irish homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

bob11 wrote: »
    Link here :

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPC%20unveils%20On%20Demand%20TV%20for%20Ireland.pdf

If you're in the lucky third and not in Swords or Malahide, you're in ..

From Friday: 160,000 homes around Dublin.
    From July: the rest of Dublin (including Swords and Malahide)

Over one third of homes in Dublin will get On Demand instantly on their current
    UPC TV service. It will become available to the rest of the country throughout the summer to reach
    over 600,000 Irish homes.

yeah, I saw that. It's be nice to know which areas make up the third of the houses that will get it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

anyone have any idea how we will pay for the rented movies
    i hope there is an option to pay other then it being added onto the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

In all the years of subscription tv, I've never had a reason to leave sky....until now !

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

okla wrote: »
    There is an announcement up on their website now and it does mention HD.

Cheers - found this from their announcement:

All customers will be able to rent the latest movie releases (€4.99 SD or €5.99 HD) and will also be able to choose from an extensive movie library (€1.99 SD or €2.49 HD).

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

I seem to have this service already although didn't get a letter about being on trial. Not much there at the moment, a few tv series, about 10 movies, none in HD as yet. On demand stuff from Discovery, history etc. looks interesting and some of those are in HD. Havent as yet tried RTE player or 3Player. lots of kids stuff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

How do you work out if you are in the lucky 33% of cable customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Press the on demand button.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

loup wrote: »
    I seem to have this service already although didn't get a letter about being on trial. Not much there at the moment, a few tv series, about 10 movies, none in HD as yet. On demand stuff from Discovery, history etc. looks interesting and some of those are in HD. Havent as yet tried RTE player or 3Player. lots of kids stuff there.

There's about 50 odd movies if you go to A-Z movies, some of which are in HD but cost extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The trial 'package' isn't the same as what will be included in the full roll out. You won't find out until Friday whats fully avilable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭recyclops

do the people who have the trial have the HD boxes or do some have the standard dvr boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr_Ekan

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, but has anyone heard whether the various players (RTÉ, 3Player) will be running advertising? I presume all will be running pre-rolls otherwise why bother?

Advertisement