Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Mr_Ekan wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, but has anyone heard whether the various players (RTÉ, 3Player) will be running advertising? I presume all will be running pre-rolls otherwise why bother?

The internet based plaeyrs have a blank screen where advertising was usually...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

will coolock areas be getting this on friday?

this sounds pretty good

I have the cable max package but I only have the old NTL Pace Box from like 05 will that still work:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

There is a press release in relation to this on the UPC website now.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPC%20unveils%20On%20Demand%20TV%20for%20Ireland.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

biggebruv wrote: »
    this sounds pretty good

I have the cable max package but I only have the old NTL Pace Box from like 05 will that still work:confused:

Have you an "on demand" button ?

Press the red button for a few secs on rte / tv3 , you should see the red button symbol on top left corner of your screen followed by a message saying service not available ..
    On the disney channel 613, I get the disney symbol on top left corner followed by same message
    On discovery channel 208, I get a discovery symbol followed by message ,.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

Just checked RTE player and watched the Craig Doyle show, there was a RTE trailer at the beginning that I could fast forward through and the programme itself had no ad break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

mike65 wrote: »
    Press the on demand button.

Service unavailable.

Does that mean unavailable until Friday or July ?

When I read a third of Dublin times would get it on FRiday I assumed they meant that a third of Dublin homes have a UPC installation and all would get it.

Otherwise why would they single out Swords and Malahide as Dublin areas that will get it in July ?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭macker22

i asked upc on twitter would i get it in dublin 24 and they said yes from friday mornin

• Registered Users Posts: 24 WestCorkRebel

Does anyone have a full list of the TV boxsets UPC are likely to have or do I just have to be patient and wait until Friday,

still unsure whether to remain with UPC as I'd like to have Sky Sports & Movies in HD and that means moving to SKY, will see how this goes first, won't be making any decision until August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

loup wrote: »
    Just checked RTE player and watched the Craig Doyle show, there was a RTE trailer at the beginning that I could fast forward through and the programme itself had no ad break.

Out of interest pal - Is the stream any good??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Any screen-grabs available lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Out of interest pal - Is the stream any good??

The stream is perfect, as quick as watching on pc but quality is somewhat reduced, ie not as good as when first broadcast.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Otherwise why would they single out Swords and Malahide as Dublin areas that will get it in July ?

Swords and Malahide were, very oddly, Chorus areas prior to the merger. Practically the entire rest of the cable network in Dublin (aside from patches around Dundrum) were NTL. Might explain why UPC may still internally treat these two areas separately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

icdg wrote: »
    Swords and Malahide were, very oddly, Chorus areas prior to the merger. Practically the entire rest of the cable network in Dublin (aside from patches around Dundrum) were NTL. Might explain why UPC may still internally treat these two areas separately.

Yeah I remember they were Chorus Lite as they didn't even have the full Chorus channel line up, limited as it was.

Still seems odd that they're not specifying areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

brenfenn wrote: »
    I<SNIP>

I suspect you won't last long on this site.....constantly repeating pretty much the same the sales pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 the_rovers_one

If only they got Sports and Movies in HD.

Also is this ANY UPC box or just the Digital+ box's??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Brenfinn this site isn't for free advertising, you'll be banned if I see that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shane.

Was just in a mates house in Dublin 6 and his on demand and catch up is up and running,he didn't get an email for the trial either, that seems a bit strange........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I rejoined Sky about a year ago.

When my year contract is up I may take another look at UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Just got an invitation style letter in the post saying that I am invited to the opening of the UPC on demand this Friday. All I have to do is "press the ON DEMAND button"....also gave a 5euro voucher (when you spend 25 euro or more) for Four Star Pizza!

I guess if you receive the aforementioned "invitation", it means you'll be one of the lucky 1/3. I'm in D4 by the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 mmcd98

I got an invitation by post in Lucan this morning. As hada says, it simply says "press the ON DEMAND button" but doesn't give any details of what to expect or what is offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Ranicand wrote: »
    I rejoined Sky about a year ago.

When my year contract is up I may take another look at UPC.

With On Demand, catch up Tv and the new Horizon box in Q 3 I'd say there'll be significant migration to UPC. At the very least it'll be fascinating to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

hada wrote: »
    Just got an invitation style letter in the post saying that I am invited to the opening of the UPC on demand this Friday. All I have to do is "press the ON DEMAND button"....also gave a 5euro voucher (when you spend 25 euro or more) for Four Star Pizza!

I guess if you receive the aforementioned "invitation", it means you'll be one of the lucky 1/3. I'm in D4 by the way!

Typical D4 bias! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SpionJoe

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Typical D4 bias! ;-)

made me smile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Got that letter in D18 also, there was a crappy €5 off pizza voucher when you spend more than 25. WOW like I don't receive better vouchers in the door every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭lauraww

Eamo71 wrote: »
    With On Demand, catch up Tv and the new Horizon box in Q 3 I'd say there'll be significant migration to UPC. At the very least it'll be fascinating to see what happens.

i agree,who knows what will happen.Sky Atlantic might not be as valuable here as it once was if there is a migration of Sky customers to UPC, so Sky might be willing to let UPC add it to their package,at least that what im hoping

I hate having to wait til August for On Demand,i have a feeling though that it will be available to the rest of Ireland before the date that they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Got that letter in D18 also, there was a crappy €5 off pizza voucher when you spend more than 25. WOW like I don't receive better vouchers in the door every so often.

Same letter here in D6 ..

It also says to visit Channel 119 to find out more, but 119 is not active on my box yet .. I guess that will be the preview channel for on demand movies etc ..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Got the leaflet in D10. Nothing working yet though. Does anyone know will it be active throughout the house. I've 5 separate boxes, 2HD ones.

Has nobody in north dub got an invitation thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

What a tacky way to launch this service, a €5 off an order of €25 or more from four star pizza. Really it's a massive marketing mess up. The voucher devalues the service and well, appears to only promote a pizza company. I can't see many (1) reading it and know it's about on-demand or (2) availing of that offer.

I did ask UPC about it on Twitter, go the following response: http://twitter.com/PatrickMooney/status/205605735172816897/photo/1

Marketing aside, I'm wondering about the state of channel 119. Like many, I was hoping for a natural return of More4+1, not another UPC info lite channel.

Advertisement