Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shane.

its typical upc, no advertising for on demand, same as their remote record. it'll just appear one day and then they'll act like its an amazing invention and no other company in the world has done it before, if you look at posts on boards they go back nearly 2 years in relation to on demand, the sooner sky get broadband in ireland the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

shane. wrote: »
    its typical upc, no advertising for on demand, same as their remote record. it'll just appear one day and then they'll act like its an amazing invention and no other company in the world has done it before, if you look at posts on boards they go back nearly 2 years in relation to on demand, the sooner sky get broadband in ireland the better

I have Sky for TV and UPC for phone and broadband.

The TV product from UPC has been sub par but their phone and Broadband are the best there is.

If UPC can get their act together as regards TV content and going on demand is what I like I might just give them my TV business back.

I doubt Sky could ever match this using Eircom lines.

1943970695.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

the sooner sky get broadband in ireland the better

DSL? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

UPC have remote record, seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

rickyjb wrote: »

http://www.upc.ie/television/remote_record/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

rickyjb wrote: »
    Ranicand wrote: »

Thread on Remote Record.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056601957

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭brianc123

brianc123 wrote: »
    Streams and works fine on RTE TV3 and Disney. Haven't tried the others,
    the on demand button launches the on demand service the red button activates the streaming service for that channel if available.
    Makes sense. Any sign of a paid for tier? For films for example? Or does all the content appear to be free?

There is a paid tier already some movies mission impossible for example 4.99 for 48 hours the content from the history channel, food network etc looks to be limited and not currently available on red button only via on demand button

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭macker22

wat sort of other movies are available . . and are the all 4.99

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Interesting thread. Had noticed the 'service not available' thingy come up a couple of times when little one pressed buttons on remote but ddn't know why. Will try a few things at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

macker22 wrote: »

I'd say when it launches, it will be similar to UPC's other markets:

http://ondemand.upc.at/movie/aktuelle

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fondemand.upc.at%2Fmovie%2Faktuelle

• Advertisement

selection of HD movies are 5.99
    SD recent movies look to be 4.99 like the adventures of tin tin & the girl with the dragon tattoo
    older stuff like the godfather are 1.99

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shane.

movies sound a bit expensive to me......

sounds good to me . . has anyone any idea wen it will be available to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

I had not been following this tread so was not aware that on-demand services were coming up from upc. But I got an email from them on Friday saying the following:
    "Dear Customer,

Now nobody does TV like UPC.

As a highly valued UPC customer, you have been selected to participate in a pilot of our new, unique and ground breaking On Demand TV service.

UPC revolutionises TV. UPC's On Demand TV puts everything right at your fingertips, giving you the sort of TV experience that you never thought possible. It's a whole new revolutionary way of watching TV.

Why a pilot? On Demand is not yet available to our full customer base, but we wanted to give you a sneak peak and to help us to make our On Demand service even better.

At first you will get a sample of the top programmes from RTE Player and 3Player plus On Demand content from channels such as Discovery, Disney and MGM and the complete box sets of Skins and Wild At Heart. We will be continually updating the service during this pilot so keep an eye out for even more great box sets, movies and more.

Remember once we launch the complete On Demand service even more content will be available for you to watch including:

• RTE Player and 3Player on your TV
    • Complete Box Sets of series from the US and UK for free
    • New release movies at the same time as DVD release
    • A massive movie library to keep the whole family entertained
    • 100's of hours of fantastic kids TV

Press your On Demand Button on your black or silver UPC remote, then select the channel you want to watch. To watch a programme you've missed on TV3, RTE just hit the red button, when you're already watching that channel.

We need your feedback to make On Demand even better. Over the next few weeks we will send you some further emails which will include surveys about On Demand. By filling them in you'll be helping us to improve our service for the whole country. If you have any queries you can contact us on 1908 where our dedicated On Demand care team will be happy to assist before our launch.

We know you're going to be amazed by On Demand TV from UPC and look forward to hearing from you soon.

UPC - Now nobody does TV like UPC."
    When I read the email I pressed the on-demand button, half-expecting to get a 'coming soon' message but it all loaded quickly and there's a pretty decent amount of content at this early stage. It's along the lines described by other posters in recent days. Not sure yet how much I would use it. Guess it will depend on evolving content. I'm not really a movie renter but I can see this being a lot easier than heading off to Xtravision.

Like others I would love to see BBC iPlayer, even at an additional (reasonable) charge. But that depends on BBC rather than upc.

Still, it's good progress. I'm really glad I never switched to Sky, even in the darker upc days. Overall I believe I get a very good service from upc and it's definitely improved a lot over the past couple of years. I'd really like a box with larger storage capacity though, or more available hours in my life to keep up with stuff I want to watch :D

And, of course, the facility to record two programmes at once is still on my wish list...

(Oh no, I sound like an addict... :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

This is good news and bad news. The good news is that it is finally confirmation from UPC that On Demand is coming. The bad news is that depending on how long this trial takes, the rest of us will have to wait even longer before we get it.

I'd be delighted if it included TV progammes from the UK and the US as well as RTE an TV3, I'll cancel Netflix when it arrives if this is the case. Whether I will rent movies from UPC will depend on whether it is cheaper or more expensive then the movies I currently stream from Itunes on my Apple TV box. New HD films are €4.99 for 48 hours on Itunes and classic films are €3.99 for the same period. Based on the post above it appears that new films may be more expensive on UPC but classic films may be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mollser

This all looks very positive.

One question, does this work via the internet, so do you need an ethernet cable plugged into your modem, or does it just come down the' pipe' ? Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

Modern boxes have a UPC Cable modem built inside. So it comes through the TV cable, identically the same way their broadband service arrives. Up until now this part of the box was unused.

so your location needs to be broadband enabled, and not on MMDS as some people are. You also need a box that is capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

zg3409 wrote: »
    Modern boxes have a UPC Cable modem built inside. So it comes through the TV cable, identically the same way their broadband service arrives. Up until now this part of the box was unused.

so your location needs to be broadband enabled, and not on MMDS as some people are. You also need a box that is capable.

What is that ethernet connection for then? I have a UPC+ SD box (black) and also UPC BB. The BB gets tapped off the UPC socket into the wifi router.

Why the extra plumbing is the box is internet capable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

BrianD wrote: »
    Why the extra plumbing is the box is internet capable?

For future use. They could use it to supply broadband to people instead of using a seperate unit like they do now.

zg3409 wrote: »
    For future use. They could use it to supply broadband to people instead of using a seperate unit like they do now.

Cool, I'll avoid sticking anything into it. I thought the connection was for connecting to the Internet for updates etc and was wondering if that might be a way of delivering extra content. Obviously it seems to be coming down the pipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

if you go to channel 750, you should be instructed to press red for a test. This will show you if you're connected.

Thanks for psoting the trail e-mail. Sounds like a good step. I'd guess netflix launching has helped spur them on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

This is at least confirmation it's happening. Other users on Twitter have reported receiving letters. Surprised they haven't NDA'd the trial considering the official response they put out here last week. Must go check my email to see if I've received one too (unlikely)

has anyone ideas how long the trials last for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

has anyone ideas how long the trials last for
    No idea, remember the official word from UPC is there is no on-demand. Jason might post on here again with details. But I'd say if you are on it, you have it until launch or until they scrap it.

Full commercial launch was hinted at this month by RTE.

i haven't got it . . i'd say its gonna be months before everyone gets it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

Not interested in giving UPC more money with on demand , rte player will be handy all right, if they don't get a red button option sorted out with the bbc in the near future, well then I don't think it's going to be a earth shattering experience as you'd hope it would be .

i haven't got it . . i'd say its gonna be months before everyone gets it
    It's worth mentioning that in the current phase RTE player content is limited to rte produced content like news and current affairs ...... TV3 is not much better. I am assuming that this will improve before go live.

brianc123 wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning that in the current phase RTE player content is limited to rte produced content like news and current affairs ...... TV3 is not much better. I am assuming that this will improve before go live.

It would be interesting if they can expand the range given that you have to be in the Republic of Ireland to access UPC Ireland.

However, even for +1 channels, the content rights have to be renegotiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I just got an email regarding it today, and it's being rolled out to customers shortly, after some pilot trials- of which I am a part.
    Now nobody does TV like UPC

As a highly valued UPC customer, you have been selected to participate in a pilot of our new, unique and ground breaking On Demand TV service.

UPC revolutionises TV

UPC's On Demand TV puts everything right at your fingertips, giving you the sort of TV experience that you never thought possible. It's a whole new revolutionary way of watching TV.

Why a pilot?

On Demand is not yet available to our full customer base, but we wanted to give you a sneak peak and to help us to make our On Demand service even better.

At first you will get a sample of the top programmes from RTE Player and
    3Player plus On Demand content from channels such as Discovery, Disney and MGM and the complete box sets of Skins and Wild At Heart. We will be
    continually updating the service during this pilot so keep an eye out for
    even more great box sets, movies and more.

Remember once we launch the complete On Demand service even more content will be available for you to watch including:
    • RTE Player and 3Player on your TV
    • Complete Box Sets of series from the US and UK for free
    • New release movies at the same time as DVD release
    • A massive movie library to keep the whole family entertained
    • 100's of hours of fantastic kids TV

We need your feedback to make
    On Demand even better

Over the next few weeks we will send you some further emails which will include surveys about On Demand. By filling them in you'll be helping us to improve our service for the whole country. If you have any queries you can contact us on 1908 where our dedicated On Demand care team will be happy to assist before our launch.

We know you're going to be amazed by
    On Demand TV from UPC and look forward
    to hearing from you soon.

I can confirm that the service is working, as the TV responded to the keypresses to activate the service. I'll post screenshots and feedback once the service has updated on my box and is ready for use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Me to can't wait to check it out

Advertisement