Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

7-0 now.

15 quid was great value;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

At least we were rewarded in the second half for what we had to endure in the first! :pac:

I know this may be a bit of an obvious statement about a team that has just lost 7-0, but Waterford were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Wilberto wrote: »
    At least we were rewarded in the second half for what we had to endure in the first! :pac:

I know this may be a bit of an obvious statement about a team that has just lost 7-0, but Waterford were awful.

Good old Roddy is doing affine job by the looks of things. Roll on Harps on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

7-0 now.

Any idea on the attendance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Worztron

7-0 now.

I wonder if that's a League Cup record win for City.

Does anyone know Cork Citys record wins in the League Cup and FAI Cup?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Worztron wrote: »

It is a league cup win record for City, and also a record League Cup defeat for Waterford.

Worztron wrote: »

FAI Cup

9-0 vs Glenmore Dundrum 2002
    7-0 vs Dale United 1993

@CHealy @Cape Clear

Cheers guys.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

Need to see some positives in selection tomorrow night.

2 up front would be a sign of intent. Garry Buckley has been disappointing this season and needs a spell on the bench.

Need to see some positives in selection tomorrow night.

2 up front would be a sign of intent. Garry Buckley has been disappointing this season and needs a spell on the bench.

There was a question asked on the Cork City forum about what you though was the strongest 11, and I think almost every reply was a different line up, so to give Caulfield a bit of leeway he does have some difficult decisions, but after 7 games it really is time to start seeing some consistency now again, no one ever won the league by changing thier team every week. Harps are missing a load of players so no doubt will be 11 men behind the ball for the night, we need to get at them earlky otherwise we'll have a Wexford situation on our hands, which would be game over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Straight forward win against a poor side. Glad of the 3 points. Buckley was a mess. Didn't realise he was playing until the red and he was moved back.

McGuire looks a nice find. He will hit 20 this season no doubt.

Bring on the other 2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Very clinical performance early on and to be fair I think we played well for the first 10 minutes then just let the game pass us by till the red tried again for 10 minutes and scored from Sheppard who I though was very good once he came on and a really well taken goal. I think it'll be a long season for Finn Harps and those big home wins are what they'll need to keep them very poor from them showed nothing all game. Rover Monday now will be a huge test realistically we need three points as Dundalk are gone onto 22 points

Good to get a win.

Thought Georoid was out to make a point last night. Hope others can follow his lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Cork City v Shamrock Rovers "Power Hour" deal.

Adults tickets bought online available at €10 for the next hour until half past three.

https://www.facebook.com/CorkCityFC/photos/a.136126013065766.23033.131871873491180/1240750212603335/?type=3&theater

If Caulfield starts Gary Buckley tonight, then I am convinced that he's having a laugh at us. We have the likes of Holohan, Healy, and even the u19 lad Donnellan waiting to get on the pitch, yet he's persisting with Buckley for some bizarre reason.

All set for tonight ratpoison

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Really looking foward to tonight's game. Lovely weather for it should ensure a big crowd as most city fans never miss the visit of rovers. Hopefully the right team is selected , we could do with a nice win over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

CHealy wrote: »
    If Caulfield starts Gary Buckley tonight, then I am convinced that he's having a laugh at us. We have the likes of Holohan, Healy, and even the u19 lad Donnellan waiting to get on the pitch, yet he's persisting with Buckley for some bizarre reason.

Whatever about the other 2 but Hoolahan has been awful any time he has got a run this season.

Missing tonight and Friday :(

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Really looking foward to tonight's game. Lovely weather for it should ensure a big crowd as most city fans never miss the visit of rovers. Hopefully the right team is selected , we could do with a nice win over them.

A win tonight and on Friday against Pats and we are right back on track, need those 6 points though, can't see it happening myself unless JC allows the players to go for it.

Only my 2nd game this season mostly due work and college. Can't wait

• Advertisement

Nice solid win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very good win and another 3 points.
    Super start with 2 in the first 15 but how the hell was that pen not given. It was right in front of me. Clear handball on the line. Red and a pen and we could have given them a right good hammering.

2700 was a poor enough attendance given the lovely weather and the fact it was Rovers, a real pity this was not a Friday game.

Missed the first 2 goals, not for the first time this season.

Liked our attitude and desire for the rest of the half. Should have been 3-0 but lineswoman and ref missed it. Looked over the line as well even with the blatant batting of the ball by the Rovers player.

The 2nd half was disappointing. Our inability to string 2/3 passes together was a feature again. Maguire excelled up there despite poor service.

Has to be said that Rovers were awful. Offered nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Good win and back on track now. We play pats Friday and dundalk have bohs and in recent seasons bohs are one of the few teams who could get points off them. I think we are playing relatively well and last three games have been super performances but dundalk are just a machine and keep getting those wins so we realistically need to win the next 4-5 games in the spin to catch up on them need the away form to improve too Sheppard and Maguire v good last night

Good 1st half but we were below average in 2nd

Rovers were so bad though

Home to St Peter's athlone in the cup...massacre surely.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Home to St Peter's athlone in the cup...massacre surely.

It depends on what players JC picks.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    It depends on what players JC picks.

I dont care if he puts out the u17 team, we should still be beating non league opposition easy, especially at home. Good chance to give fringe players a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

That's six points in two games, and a total of 5-1. Yet I feel strangely underwhelmed. Awful game against Harps (possibly the poorest team I've seen in recent times) and the second half against Rovers wasn't great either. Hopefully things will be better against St Pats on Friday night.

Would City supporters rather win poor games or watch good games that we don't necessarily win? At the moment, I'd take the points and worry about performances later, but I might be changing my mind if the next few games are as poor as these two were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

That's six points in two games, and a total of 5-1. Yet I feel strangely underwhelmed. Awful game against Harps (possibly the poorest team I've seen in recent times) and the second half against Rovers wasn't great either. Hopefully things will be better against St Pats on Friday night.

To be fair on the Harps match, we were a man down for nearly he whole second half, but still managed to push on for a third (granted, we also conceded). In the second half on Monday, I suppose the two goal cushion allowed us to sit back, let Rovers tire themselves out and hit them on the counter. I was a bit worried for the 5 minute period just after the half, when they were getting corner after corner. But after we settled, they did nothing. Their only chance that I remember was from one of the corners, where they should've been penalised for holding onto McNulty. (Come to think of it, did they have a low shot from a cross from the left wing, which Nults got down well to save?). If they had gotten the man sent off in the first half for the handball on the line, we'd have had a penalty to go three up and played against ten men for over an hour. We'd have been looking at a Longford-type score in that case, I think.

At least we're now blitzing teams and going into a lead early on, rather than playing poorly in the first half and having to chase games like we were the last few weeks.
    Would City supporters rather win poor games or watch good games that we don't necessarily win? At the moment, I'd take the points and worry about performances later, but I might be changing my mind if the next few games are as poor as these two were.

All about the wins for me. If we win all our matches, we'll win the league. That's what will be remembered, not the style of play. Whilst an attacking, free-flowing style would be nice, and helpful depending on the team being played and whether home or away, if we win, it'll be forgotten about. Nobody cares that Leicester are last place for pass completion % in the English League and 3rd last for possession.

We won the league in 2005 by mainly playing defensively - we built a rock solid defence and worked from there. So, we picked up points even when the strikeforce weren't performing. Just look at all the low-scoring matches and one-goal wins - but we had a huge number of clean sheets. No City fan cares that we were outscored by Derry and Shels, because we finished ahead of them. No one will care if Dundalk outscore us this season if we're top after the 33rd match.

Advertisement