Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

gimmick wrote: »
    Midweek games in this league is a joke. All to accommodate the shorter season. Mess.
    Or the summer break which has questionable value. Bohs Rovers and Pats have been quite poor this year but Tuesday night's game is a potential sticky one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I can understand the break from the point of view of players need a holiday too. It's not like they earn so much from LOI clubs that they can afford winter sun etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,685 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I can understand the break from the point of view of players need a holiday too. It's not like they earn so much from LOI clubs that they can afford winter sun etc.

If they can afford summer sun, why would they not be able to afford winter sun?

Cheaper package deals in the summer. Probably have to go further afield in the winter. Then there is the issue of those with kids and school etc.

Do they even go on holidays during the break? Hardly worth it given they'd still be expected to keep up their fitness and hit the ground running afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Very tough game at home to Derry this Friday, but if we're serious about challenging for the league we have to win this one.

I'm assuming we'll beat Bohs tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Good 3 points in awful conditions it sounds like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,685 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A win is a win, happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Very important win last night, I never like the thought of going up there even though we've had a good bit of success the last few years there. Conditions were brutal but City dominated.

5 wins on the bounce now including two tricky away games in 3 days, Derry at home should see a big crowd on Friday, cant wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Good performance yesterday but unfortunately dundalk are winning week in week out too. So we realistically have to win every game till we play them and then beat them too. Pity the gap isn't closing despite winning 5 tough game on the spin. Derry are a really good team and Friday won't be easy I'm confident though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

All City can do is keep winning. They should beat Derry on Friday and Longford the following week before the game against Dundalk.

I would say even a draw in that game wouldn't be too bad.

Remember we would have won the league in 2014 if we had of drawn the home game with Dundalk instead of losing 2-1 with a last minute goal.

It would be nice to stuff them all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

The home games against Dundalk have been one way traffic in the last 2 seasons.

Would be nice to see us dictate the game for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

kcb wrote: »

I would say even a draw in that game wouldn't be too bad.

Remember we would have won the league in 2014 if we had of drawn the home game with Dundalk instead of losing 2-1 with a last minute goal.

If Cork had drawn ANY match against Dundalk in 2014, Cork would won it.
    If Cork had drawn ANY match against St Pats in 1998-1999, same again, champs

It's a thin line.

joeysoap wrote: »
    If Cork had drawn ANY match against Dundalk in 2014, Cork would won it.
    If Cork had drawn ANY match against St Pats in 1998-1999, same again, champs

It's a thin line.

Its too easy to put it like that. Certainly the 2014 season which is fresher in my memory. had we drawn the game in August, which we should have, it would have changed the dynamic of the last series of games. Did City have the mentality to keep going as favourites with the league in their own hands, and would Dundalk as chasers have dropped points to the likes of Shams 2nd last game?

But then I guess had we drawn the last game we were champions.

Stuey Byrne was saying it but he questions the Cork City mentality. Our trophy return over 30 years is pathetic. 2 leagues, 2 cups, a setanta and a league cup or 2 is very very poor.

How many cup finals have we lost? More than we have won. How many times have we finished 2nd. I reckon at least 10.

I agree in what you say of thin margins, but historically we just do not have the balls to cross the finishing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Very true. But already beating dundalk are twice this year I reckon we can get more wins over them. Think about it had we lost to dundalk earlier on in the season we would be 10 point behind now and the league would be over when we play them at the cross it is vital we don't lost firstly but getting a win is huge dundalk currently seem too strong and I think we are the only team that can beat them making me think they are really in pole position and might actually go for a draw vs us. Derry will be tricky too huge game Friday

hman231 wrote: »
    Very true. But already beating dundalk are twice this year I reckon we can get more wins over them. Think about it had we lost to dundalk earlier on in the season we would be 10 point behind now and the league would be over when we play them at the cross it is vital we don't lost firstly but getting a win is huge dundalk currently seem too strong and I think we are the only team that can beat them making me think they are really in pole position and might actually go for a draw vs us. Derry will be tricky too huge game Friday

Only ourselves and Derry are putting it up to Dundalk so far this year. Pats and ****rock Rovers have been very poor in games against the top 3 both managers coming under increasing pressure.

Derry will fade away aswell, I've seen them a few times this season and best they can hope for is a European spot. Its us v Dundalk for the title, and Dundalk continue to have the upper hand.

CHealy wrote: »
    Derry will fade away aswell, I've seen them a few times this season and best they can hope for is a European spot. Its us v Dundalk for the title, and Dundalk continue to have the upper hand.

Probably right but the same was said about ourselves in 2014.We shouldn't be taking them for granted tomorrow night. Despite winning the last 5 league games we need to be more clinical in front of goal. We have plenty of possession but little end product. At the other end of the table Longford need to call in big Sam.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Probably right but the same was said about ourselves in 2014.We shouldn't be taking them for granted tomorrow night. Despite winning the last 5 league games we need to be more clinical in front of goal. We have plenty of possession but little end product. At the other end of the table Longford need to call in big Sam.

As I said, I've seen Derry a few times this season and while they are a good side, they are no where near as good as we were in 2014, I predict them to finish 4th/5th. Has to be three points tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Cape Clear wrote: »

We were being constantly written off on MNS/Soccer Republic and yet I don't hear the same being said about Derry this year. Wonder if this means they are seriously considered to be title contenders or maybe the pundits don't even feel the need to write them off as they expect them to fade away?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Stuey Byrne was saying it but he questions the Cork City mentality. Our trophy return over 30 years is pathetic. 2 leagues, 2 cups, a setanta and a league cup or 2 is very very poor.

How many cup finals have we lost? More than we have won. How many times have we finished 2nd. I reckon at least 10.

This says 2 wins and 8 runners up (though I make it 7), and I wouldn't pass much heed to Stuey

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_League_of_Ireland_champions

For a big one city club, probably could be argued that Cork could have won more but as was said before sometimes the margins were slim. (In the 1990/91 season Cork level with Dundalk going into the last match in Cork and had a better goal difference, though that wouldn't have counted that year)

Any of the top 6 teams can beat each other (if they turn up on the night) Any of the bottom half clubs can take a point if they get a lucky break. Just as Cork were denied a stonewall penalty against Rovers so were Longford last weekend.

Galway and Derry definitely top 6 but hard to see as serious contenders. Pats badly need a fit Fagan. Dundalk muddling through matches without O'Donnell, McEleney and Kilduff. Expect Dundalk to dip into the market for a proven goal scorer in the transfer window.

joeysoap wrote: »
    This says 2 wins and 8 runners up (though I make it 7), and I wouldn't pass much heed to Stuey

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_League_of_Ireland_champions

For a big one city club, probably could be argued that Cork could have won more but as was said before sometimes the margins were slim. (In the 1990/91 season Cork level with Dundalk going into the last match in Cork and had a better goal difference, though that wouldn't have counted that year)

Any of the top 6 teams can beat each other (if they turn up on the night) Any of the bottom half clubs can take a point if they get a lucky break. Just as Cork were denied a stonewall penalty against Rovers so we're Longford last weekend.

Galway and Derry definitely top 6 but hard to see as serious contenders. Pats badly need a fit Fagan. Dundalk muddling through matches without O'Donnell, McEleney and Kilduff. Expect Dundalk to dip into the market for a proven goal scorer in the transfer window.

Talk of Garry Twigg coming in recently. Some of the top 6 sides won't lay a hand on Dundalk this year. Pats have a very average side even with Fagan and rovers are playing well below par given the squad Fenlon has at his disposal.

And the wins keep on coming!!!!!

Great to comeback like that and win , a big 3 points !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Worztron

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    And the wins keep on coming!!!!!

Great to comeback like that and win , a big 3 points !!

That's 6 wins in a row, yes?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    That's 6 wins in a row, yes?

Yes

Longford away next..... then.... ...Dundalk come to the X

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

That was great fun. Dramatic wins like that are always great. I'm hoarse out today.

Thought we dominated the first half, yet didn't test the keeper. That's a huge concern. I'd be dropping Maguire and putting Marky in to start against Longford.

Second half Caulfield made some brave substitutions and got the win as a result - he deserves a lot of credit for that.

If we beat Longford there should be a huge crowd for the Dundalk game. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

Dropping Sean Maguire for Mark O'Sullivan cannot be justified on any evidence we've seen this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Roar wrote: »
    That was great fun. Dramatic wins like that are always great. I'm hoarse out today.

Thought we dominated the first half, yet didn't test the keeper. That's a huge concern. I'd be dropping Maguire and putting Marky in to start against Longford.

Second half Caulfield made some brave substitutions and got the win as a result - he deserves a lot of credit for that.

If we beat Longford there should be a huge crowd for the Dundalk game. Bring it on.

What date is the dalk game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Dropping Sean Maguire for Mark O'Sullivan cannot be justified on any evidence we've seen this season.

Not as mad of a move as you seem too think! Marky deserves a game abd a rest for sean could be good for him, I nust wouldnt be making 6/7 changes

Advertisement