Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Not as mad of a move as you seem too think! Marky deserves a game abd a rest for sean could be good for him, I nust wouldnt be making 6/7 changes

He should be starting both of them, up front!

Dundalk game is on june3 I think, at 8, might be televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He should be starting both of them, up front!

Dundalk game is on june3 I think, at 8, might be televised.

On Setanta hence 8th ko Maguire holds the ball up well but had been blunt in front of goals at times this year. Subs freshened things up last night Derry had no plan b

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Just need to try and stay as close to dundalk as possible and hope that they go on a poor patch at some stage. Really think that we have a much improved squad on last year should go kon another good cup run and for me europa league is the big one. Don't really think we need to buy anyone in the transfer window

hman231 wrote: »
    Just need to try and stay as close to dundalk as possible and hope that they go on a poor patch at some stage. Really think that we have a much improved squad on last year should go kon another good cup run and for me europa league is the big one. Don't really think we need to buy anyone in the transfer window

Wouldn't mind if we brought in Mickey Drennan or Miele or Twigg if he still has it all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Id rather win a league than progress a round or 2 in Europe. I know the money is far better for the latter, but your clubs reputation is built on league successes. And CCFC do not have nearly enough success in that regard.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Id rather win a league than progress a round or 2 in Europe. I know the money is far better for the latter, but your clubs reputation is built on league successes. And CCFC do not have nearly enough success in that regard.

I'd be of the same opinion and given the increased money for qualifying for the CL instead of the Europa League. Progressing in Europe is more of a long term goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Dropping Sean Maguire for Mark O'Sullivan cannot be justified on any evidence we've seen this season.
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Not as mad of a move as you seem too think! Marky deserves a game abd a rest for sean could be good for him, I nust wouldnt be making 6/7 changes
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He should be starting both of them, up front

Marky made a huge impact when he came on, seemed that the whole team was galvanised by his energy and enthusiasm. I'd prefer it if he was in the starting line up, but there's no doubting he's a great man to bring on as an impact sub. I thought City were poor for most of the match and Derry were even worse. For some reason, City looked tired and not up for the game until Marky came on.

Great way to win a game though, I walked out of the Cross feeling like I'd seen a classic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Looking to go to the FAI cup game this Friday and have never been to the cross. Would I be best to get the tickets before hand or safe enough to pay in on the night or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

crkball6 wrote: »
    Looking to go to the FAI cup game this Friday and have never been to the cross. Would I be best to get the tickets before hand or safe enough to pay in on the night or?

Very rare the cross is a sell out. If your 30 mins before ko you'll get tickets no hassle. Don't think they take cash at turnstiles you'll have too buy them from the ticket office outside the ground, aka the shed on wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

gimmick wrote: »

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/europa-league-prize-money/

This easy to understand and Cork should be getting around €400,000 from two rounds and who knows if the draw was kind they might progress further.

This is much harder to work out but afaik Dundalk expect around €550000 for last year and the same again this year. They also got an extra €40,000 fair play cash from fines imposed on teams ie Man City.Not as easy to progress in this competition as they are all league winners of some sort. You can see the team that knocked Dundalk out last year got nearly €13,000,000 the year before and they expected more this year because of the group they wound up in (Barcelona , Rome and Bayern.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/uefa-champions-league-prize-money/

LOI winners €110,000, FAI cup winners €50,000 EA cup winners €25,000

So Dundalk got nice money for last year but they can't develop Oriel until the court cases are out of the way. Catch 22, they have money but can't spend it, I don't think they were the highest wage payers last year either, think Pats win that dubious award (and Limerick had a bigger wage bill by all accounts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'd say we'll be struggling to get over 1,500 for this game. Tickets won't be a problem, just get them in the ticket boxes outside the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

You couldnt be going to a worse game for your first time at the Cross. Its the second round of the cup against a junior club from Athlone, there wont be over 1000 at it.

Wait a couple of weeks for the Dundalk game (June 3rd), and for that, you may need to buy tickets in advance.

joeysoap wrote: »

This easy to understand and Cork should be getting around €400,000 from two rounds and who knows if the draw was kind they might progress further.

This is much harder to work out but afaik Dundalk expect around €550000 for last year and the same again this year. They also got an extra €40,000 fair play cash from fines imposed on teams ie Man City.Not as easy to progress in this competition as they are all league winners of some sort. You can see the team that knocked Dundalk out last year got nearly €13,000,000 the year before and they expected more this year because of the group they wound up in (Barcelona , Rome and Bayern.

So Dundalk got nice money for last year but they can't develop Oriel until the court cases are out of the way. Catch 22, they have money but can't spend it, I don't think they were the highest wage payers last year either, think Pats win that dubious award (and Limerick had a bigger wage bill by all accounts)

No ongoing court case as far as I'm aware but plenty of discussion involving the former club owner, Dundalk and the Casey family. The former owner is looking for a payoff. Not sure how much money Dundalk have given the players they signed over the last couple of years. Also sending a team to Europe isn't cheap and a bit of money needed to spent on Oriel to Keep UEFA happy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

€2.4 million for qualifying for the group stages alone? Wow! That's serious money for a LOI club.

I wonder how much Shams got when they qualified. They must be sickened looking at that figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

We should be aiming to do both.

Last year in Iceland was pathetic and showed JC up big time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

We should be aiming to do both.

Last year in Iceland was pathetic and showed JC up big time.

It was worse than pathetic. It was downright embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

joeysoap wrote: »

I think the league cup prize money is 12.5k for the winner and 7.5k for the runner up.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

CHealy wrote: »
    You couldnt be going to a worse game for your first time at the Cross. Its the second round of the cup against a junior club from Athlone, there wont be over 1000 at it.

Wait a couple of weeks for the Dundalk game (June 3rd), and for that, you may need to buy tickets in advance.

Cheers,

I was starting to think that, I'm also bringing an Italian football fan new to the country which would also be his first look at live football in Ireland.

I'll wait it out for the Dundalk game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Cheers,

I was starting to think that, I'm also bringing an Italian football fan new to the country which would also be his first look at live football in Ireland.

I'll wait it out for the Dundalk game.
    The dalk game will be electric! Wait till then

Wilberto wrote: »
    €2.4 million for qualifying for the group stages alone? Wow! That's serious money for a LOI club.

I wonder how much Shams got when they qualified. They must be sickened looking at that figure!

It was for the Europa League but IIRC it was over a million all in with TV money etc. plus the transfer fee of €300K? or so from Aston Villa for Enda Stevens. Also like Dundalk travel costs and additional stadium costs seat hire in Rovers case would have cost a bit. Unfortunately I would think a LOI side qualifying for the CL group stages is light years away at present and will remain so unless there is multi million euro investment made in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

As far as I recall, Shamrock Rovers got €1.9M in total. €1.3M from the Europa League and €600k from the Champions League.

We'll be doing very well to get past one round of Europe this season. We could be drawn against the likes of Maribor, Partizan, Midtjylland etc in the opening round. There are a fair few teams with recent CL/EL group stage experience whose budgets would blow ours out of the water. It's a lot tougher than a few years ago, when we'd have had a good chance of being seeded in the first round. You wouldn't really play the bigger teams until around the second or third round. We'd also have been in with a chance of entering in the 2nd or 3rd (Pats and Sligo started in the second a couple of times, Sligo went straight into the 3rd in 2011). Since they started to give a load of automatic spots to Germany, Spain, England etc., it's had the effect of pushing back clubs from other big, but 2nd/3rd tier leagues.

On the plus side, though, the prize money is a lot bigger. At the beginning of the new UEFA format (2009), it was about €70k-80k a round. Then it went up t around €120k-130k. Now it's €200k+ (200k for the first round, 210k for the second, 220k for the third etc.). So, while it's much harder to progress, LoI clubs probably make more profit on average.

Hopefully this season, we can get an IL team, one of the weaker Scottish sides or a Luxembourg side. They'd be among the best chances of qualification and cheaper/closer travel would allow us to keep more of the prize money. Linfield would be absolutely ideal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    As far as I recall, Shamrock Rovers got €1.9M in total. €1.3M from the Europa League and €600k from the Champions League.

We'll be doing very well to get past one round of Europe this season. We could be drawn against the likes of Maribor, Partizan, Midtjylland etc in the opening round. There are a fair few teams with recent CL/EL group stage experience whose budgets would blow ours out of the water. It's a lot tougher than a few years ago, when we'd have had a good chance of being seeded in the first round. You wouldn't really play the bigger teams until around the second or third round. We'd also have been in with a chance of entering in the 2nd or 3rd (Pats and Sligo started in the second a couple of times, Sligo went straight into the 3rd in 2011). Since they started to give a load of automatic spots to Germany, Spain, England etc., it's had the effect of pushing back clubs from other big, but 2nd/3rd tier leagues.

On the plus side, though, the prize money is a lot bigger. At the beginning of the new UEFA format (2009), it was about €70k-80k a round. Then it went up t around €120k-130k. Now it's €200k+ (200k for the first round, 210k for the second, 220k for the third etc.). So, while it's much harder to progress, LoI clubs probably make more profit on average.

Hopefully this season, we can get an IL team, one of the weaker Scottish sides or a Luxembourg side. They'd be among the best chances of qualification and cheaper/closer travel would allow us to keep more of the prize money. Linfield would be absolutely ideal.

They sure would. We can practise all of our sectarianism!!!!

Cape Clear wrote: »
    It was for the Europa League but IIRC it was over a million all in with TV money etc. plus the transfer fee of €300K? or so from Aston Villa for Enda Stevens. Also like Dundalk travel costs and additional stadium costs seat hire in Rovers case would have cost a bit. Unfortunately I would think a LOI side qualifying for the CL group stages is light years away at present and will remain so unless there is multi million euro investment made in the game.

The €2.4m I mentioned is for the Europa League, not the Champions League. I don't know what the money is like for participating in the Champions League group stage but, as you mentioned, we're light years away from there, and getting even further away with every passing season unfortunately. :(

Wilberto wrote: »
    The €2.4m I mentioned is for the Europa League, not the Champions League. I don't know what the money is like for participating in the Champions League group stage but, as you mentioned, we're light years away from there, and getting even further away with every passing season unfortunately. :(

Apologies read the links wrong. Never say never all the same a change of structure to the European competitions could make all the difference. The current system is weighted in favour of the bigger leagues understandably. Maybe a second tier regionalised competition could help to bridge the gap for the likes of LOI, IL and Wales.

Apologies read the links wrong. Never say never all the same a change of structure to the European competitions could make all the difference. The current system is weighted in favour of the bigger leagues understandably. Maybe a second tier regionalised competition could help to bridge the gap for the likes of LOI, IL and Wales.

The Intertoto Cup was fantastic back in the day. We got to the Quaters in 2004 eventually getting knocked out by Nantes. We beat Malmo home and away and Nijmegan along the way, what a team we had back then, I didn't appreciate it enough at the time.

The Intertoto Cup was fantastic back in the day. We got to the Quaters in 2004 eventually getting knocked out by Nantes. We beat Malmo home and away and Nijmegan along the way, what a team we had back then, I didn't appreciate it enough at the time.
    True good times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

........Unfortunately I would think a LOI side qualifying for the CL group stages is light years away at present and will remain so unless there is multi million euro investment made in the game.

I totally agree.
    .I think the league cup prize money is 12.5k for the winner and 7.5k for the runner up.

You might well be right,
    my figures related to 2013

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Ireland_Cup

I well remember those games, great atmospheres.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

These games vs non league opposition are a joke was a awful game and not competitive at all. The draw is everything in europe but judging by last years going i'd be fearful if we get any sort of a decent side, its everything europe and if the league wants to progress we need all teams to do well in europe i fancy pats and dundalk in europe, last year the performance away to the icelandic crowd was nothing less than a joke

• Advertisement

hman231 wrote: »
    These games vs non league opposition are a joke was a awful game and not competitive at all. The draw is everything in europe but judging by last years going i'd be fearful if we get any sort of a decent side, its everything europe and if the league wants to progress we need all teams to do well in europe i fancy pats and dundalk in europe, last year the performance away to the icelandic crowd was nothing less than a joke

Its the Cup, could be non league opposition or it could have been Dundalk, thats the just luck of the draw. Not sure what the joke about it is.

Advertisement