Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What times ko?never mind.. Found it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Embarrassing

Embarressing

The defending for the last goal was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'm just annoyed that at 1-0 up against 10 men we didn't try press home the advantage and get a 2nd. Instead we just allowed them at us. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

1-0 up away in the Europa League against 10 men and we get comfortably beaten:mad::mad::mad: So sick of this negative football we're playing, it's cost us yet again. Why the hell did we sit back and allow them to attack us when we scored and they went down to 10??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Why can't we play like Dundalk. Untill we get creative technically good players we wont win the league or get through rounds in europe. to be honest dan murray, healy and miller are past it. Look at Morrissey when he came on real pity players like him dont get a chance would have loved to see rob lehane too. Need to offload the old players and change manager i know its a big word to say but looking at all these big games johnny c isnt doing it i hope he changes tactics but untill i want him out

Feel sorry for those who paid to go and watch that. I'd feel hard done by. Can't even have a nice cheap pint to console themselves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Awful. Just awful awful awful awful awful.

Straight away from the start of the second half we just sat back on the edge of our own box and just brought them onto us. Trully terrible stuff.

Also, can someone please explain to me the logic in bringing on Liam Kearney? Why him? He's god damn useless ever since he came back and showed it again tonight.

I suppose, in one sense, it's almost a good thing we didn't progress, because if we would have played like that against Rosenberg it would have been truly embarrassing. That said, at least we would have been able to take comfort in the €210k we would have received had we progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Didn't deserve to qualify.

Awful performance in the 2nd half. Tactic of conceding possession to the opposition and allowing them time and space to fire balls into out penalty area not surprisingly didn't pay off.

This is Trap football.

We are going nowhere under Caulfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Eh that was a disgraceful performance from the manager last night. RK down to 10 men and we just camp ourselves in our box protecting a 1 nil lead, we couldn't get out of our box at all at one stage.
    I'm not shocked I have seen similar performances down the cross this season as against much worse opposition.

I actually kept thinking last night Billy Dennehy would be the man now to make something happen to win this.

• Advertisement

I am a bit concerned about the future. Looking at the squad - it needs major surgery

McNulty, Murray, Bennet, Healy, Miller, Flynn, Sullivan, Kearney all the wrong side of 30. The first 3 are still playing well as is Sullivan, but the others should all be let go if at all possible.

Then there is the likes of Josh O Shea and Michael McSweeney who are just not up to standard. Djilali joins our illustrious ranks of English flops (injury notwithstanding, he came in over weight and didnt look like shifting it). I assume we have seen the last of the Dennehys.

There is some youth there, but aside from fits and spurts, do we know what Danny Morrisey, Rob Lehane are capable of? Gary Buckley has gone backwards in a hurry this season. Gavin Holohan cant get near the team. Not even subbed on last night. I dont rate Dunleavy as highly as some but is a decent hand.

So that doesnt look to bright. Just for arguments sake here are the players I would be keeping for next year who we know can play at the standard required -

McNulty, Kavanagh, Dunleavy, Bennett, Murray, D Dennehy, O Connor, Holohan, Buckley, O Sullivan, B Dennehy, Sheppard, Beattie, Morrisey*, Lehane*.

I'm only including the Dennehys as a 13 man squad looks pretty poor. I havent included either sub keeper as I never seen either play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Disgusted JC did not lush on for the second against 10 men, if we did we could be through to the next round. Typical away performance under him. Really disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Im finally back and rested from Iceland after a fantastic few days barring about 120 minutes on Thursday night.

Disgusting isn't even the word, I've been a major critic of John Caulfield since the end of last season when I could see that he hasn't a clue, and I'm finally going to come out and say that he needs to go. Let his contract run out at the end of the season, and lets part company which will benifit Caulfield's tattering reputation, and the state of our club. At the moment, this is going only one way, and thats down Tommy Dunne street.

CHealy wrote: »
    Im finally back and rested from Iceland after a fantastic few days barring about 120 minutes on Thursday night.

Disgusting isn't even the word, I've been a major critic of John Caulfield since the end of last season when I could see that he hasn't a clue, and I'm finally going to come out and say that he needs to go. Let his contract run out at the end of the season, and lets part company which will benifit Caulfield's tattering reputation, and the state of our club. At the moment, this is going only one way, and thats down Tommy Dunne street.

Who could we get that would be an upgrade realistically in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Got back from Iceland early last night.

Great start to the trip. The atmosphere on Wednesday night was absolutely electric, the place was buzzing. Big crowd around the place Thursday. Not as much chanting (few tired/sick heads from the night before, I'd say), but there was great colour around - loads of flags etc. When we got to the ground, it was great, all 100ish of us there in full voice for 120 minutes.

What happened on the pitch was gutting. 1-0 up, 2-1 on aggregate, after 15 minutes, a man up after 30 and we did f*ck all. At half time, I really thought we were going to do it. I thought we were just going to pass it around, tire them out and break them down for a second. But it was them that did that - they absolutely dominated the match. Having 3 in centre mid should allow you to dominate it, especially against ten men, but they just rolled over. All we needed was one goal. If we went 2-0 or 2-1 up on the night, it was game over. And if we attacked, we would've gotten it. Maybe we would've ended up conceding as well (which we did anyway by sitting back), but with a second away goal, that would've been alright. The manager has a lot to answer for by getting the team to sit back. There's no excuse for sitting back against ten men - but there's no excuse for not being able to defend against ten men, either. What the f*ck were they at for both of their goals? It was hapless defending, as if they'd never been on a football pitch before.

It was a horrible feeling, travelling all that journey to see a performance like that. It was Dundalk all over again. But we'll have our day again. If we keep getting into Europe, then we'll keep getting the chance to go on the type of runs we had in 2004-06. There was a lot of inexperience in that side, lads who've never been at this level, manager included. If we keep qualifying, then they'll get more experience and we'll become a regular European side. Not to mention the UEFA prize money we get from just being there - about €100k profit per round when you take away travelling costs.

But f*ck it, we've come a long way from 2009/10 and we've another long way to go yet. Back to the league and we have to make sure we qualify for Europe again.

Honest assessment we need to keep building. Kr was a set back but we are on the right path keep challenging for the league.
    I do feel though if we want to keep on building we need more quality young players like towell at dundalk, and in these big games we need to get on the ball more and not defend all the time. The likes of MC nulty murray healy etc will be gone soon so we need to keep the youth coming. Longford this Saturday is a big game need the three points and still in the FAI cup.
    But tactics in the big games must change and we need some real top players if we do this next year we can win the league and go far in europe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

hman231 wrote: »
    Honest assessment we need to keep building. Kr was a set back but we are on the right path keep challenging for the league.
    I do feel though if we want to keep on building we need more quality young players like towell at dundalk, and in these big games we need to get on the ball more and not defend all the time. The likes of MC nulty murray healy etc will be gone soon so we need to keep the youth coming. Longford this Saturday is a big game need the three points and still in the FAI cup.
    But tactics in the big games must change and we need some real top players if we do this next year we can win the league and go far in europe.

Except I believe that none of that will happen under John Caulfield. The KR game really showed his ineptitude as a top level (by which I mean SSE Airtricity league level) manager.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Except I believe that none of that will happen under John Caulfield. The KR game really showed his ineptitude as a top level (by which I mean SSE Airtricity league level) manager.
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Who could we get that would be an upgrade realistically in your opinion?

I'll ask you this too so wil

I'll ask you this too so wil

I never said there was one! ;)

TBH, it's impossible for me to answer that question simply because I don't know local soccer/MSL enough to know if there may be any suitable candidates there.

Also, it needn't be a person who necessarily managed before. A promising coach from another club perhaps? A former player (not necessarily Cork although if it's a player going into management chances are it will be at the club where he made his name as a player)?

There are so many places to look for a new manager that I wouldn't even know where to start tbh. I know this sounds like a cop out of an answer on my part, but it's true. Appointing a manager is a difficult task and, as I said already, one where I wouldn't even know where to start.

That said though, I can't see anything changing simply because, when Caulfield took over, attendances immediately increased, and the Board attributed that increase to him, and are afraid that, is they get rid of him, attendances could fall again. Now, I fully accept that I could be talking through my hole here tbh but it's just a thought.

Wilberto. yeah you are right if we look at it this year in all the really big games league fai cup and europa. we just dont play and just go for 0-0 draws. wont be wining throphys with this attitude, and i hope i am corrected but i dont think john c will change up the tactics from what we have seen so far last year vs dundalk last game should have been the lesson to learn from but we havent 0-0 draws with rovers twice and pats along side 2-1 loss to dundalk where we went up 1-0 same and kr game the other top sides we play will peg us back and he isnt understanding that. A pat fenlon would be a great get not saying we'll get him but a experienced manager who wants to play football. I wouldn't sack johnny c yet but if he doesent learn soon he will have to go Cork City fans expect thophys keep him in still but he need to change tactics dundalk away soon we will see what happens

• Advertisement

4-1 win away to Longford tonight. Great to hit back with a hammering after the disappointing end to the Europa League. Beattie (on his debut), Sheppard and O'Sullivan scoring, as well as an OG. Up to 44 points, now. Six behind Dundalk, seven ahead of Pats and Rovers (Rovers have a game in hand). Our match against Dundalk scheduled for Friday was postponed, but that might be set for tomorrow week.

Outside of results, the County Council allocated a 30 acre plot for the development of a training facility for City and the FAI. There was an information meeting for members last night. It's a huge project, a similar type of facility to what's up in Abbotstown. It's part of the FAI's plan for three centres of excellence around the country (one in Dublin, one in Munster and one in the Northwest). There's a lot of work still to be done, but it's expected to be opened in about two years. Huge credit to the board, the admin staff and those that have made this happen. A savage amount of work went into it. But for City, it's likely that this would've ended up in Limerick, so it's a big boost for Cork as a whole. We're definitely moving forward as a club.

Wheres it been built exactly?

The article just says Brooklodge in Glanmire. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

id say brian kerr would do the city job hed be good

Here's the site, with the red border around it. The road right next to it is the M8. Click here to see it on Google Maps/Earth if you want to look around and get a better idea of the surroundings.

8H2Pi.jpg

Very good result. Credit to all another good performance all round very solid from start to finish.
    Now we move onto Dundalk away possibly Sunday, need to bring in the passing and confidence into that game from this game.
    we arn't far away but in these big games we need to have more control of whats happening and not sit back and watch its a six point gap so we can afford to lose but at the same time a draw away is a good result to Dundalk but if we play for a draw we will lose so I hope that we go out to score and attack not just defend. Oriel is a very hard place to go and if you let them play they'll play alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I see Stephen Folan has signed. Nice to see a new face in the squad, should hopefully do well.

Dennehys replacement?

Dennehys replacement?

That's the first thing that popped into my mind too! :D

• Advertisement

Dundalk vs CCFC Sunday 6:00. thoughts lost to them a lot of times in the last few years any hope ?

Advertisement