Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Paddico wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with the normal CCFC Forum. Always enjoy a read of it there but now I am getting some strange 'Install Community Suite' message where a licence key is involved.

Anyone else have this.
    What do I need to do?

Count your blessings you didnt read the poisonous bile in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yeah just checked, down for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Paddico

Yeah seems the same across all devices for me.
    Laptop, table and phone

gimmick wrote: »
    Count your blessings you didnt read the poisonous bile in there!!

Youve lost me Gimmick

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Urbex

The forum is being upgraded should be back soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Europa League on Thursday. Been so long since we were last in Europe, buzzing that it's so close again. KR will be tough. Plenty of European experience, been in the EL/CL for seven seasons in-a-row now and have had some decent runs. We definitely have a chance, but they'll be favourites to go through.

We might have an advantage with the Pats match being postponed and having no league matches during the two weeks we play them, as well as the rest from the recent mid-season break. Meanwhile, KR have had two games a week for the last fortnight and they'll have it again for the next fortnight. They played a league game last evening, they play us on Thursday, the league leaders FH (three points ahead of them) in the Icelandic Cup on Sunday, they have us again the following Thursday and then a league match Sunday week. We had Derry last Friday and now we can fully concentrate on them for the next two Thursdays.

A win would be absolutely massive. Very financially lucrative (€210k prize money plus home gate against Rosenburg minus cost of travel and hosting match). And very important to gain as many coefficients points as we can, to increase our chances of being seeded and getting easier ties in future campaigns.

Can't wait. Should be a big crowd at the Cross and a great atmosphere around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Having watched the full KR game last night on a stream, I would be very dissapointed if we don't get through this round. I'm obviously only basing this off the one game last night but it was'nt a standard above mid-table LOI, which I'm hoping will suit City. Need to avoid conceding an away goal, I'd love to be taking a 2-0 win over to Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

CHealy wrote: »
    Having watched the full KR game last night on a stream, I would be very dissapointed if we don't get through this round. I'm obviously only basing this off the one game last night but it was'nt a standard above mid-table LOI, which I'm hoping will suit City. Need to avoid conceding an away goal, I'd love to be taking a 2-0 win over to Iceland.

Your last sentence pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game, how are ticket sales going does anyone know? Will it sell out?

I follow ISL pretty loosely but have caught a few KR games, I reckon the league itself is pretty closely matched to our premier league level.

But I reckon our top teams are better than theirs, at least us and Dundalk for sure, where we could fall down is the last few years experience, KR have been there for the 6-7 years and they now what it's all about, they're relatively similar to Stjarnan who I believe held Celtic to only 1 goal in Iceland.

Unfortunately I guess JC will have us absolutely park the bus if we get a result at the cross, and I don't like that.

Another thing to note, Icey boys play in some crazy wind and will be used to using it to their advantage if we get some over there.

I follow ISL pretty loosely but have caught a few KR games, I reckon the league itself is pretty closely matched to our premier league level.

But I reckon our top teams are better than theirs, at least us and Dundalk for sure, where we could fall down is the last few years experience, KR have been there for the 6-7 years and they now what it's all about, they're relatively similar to Stjarnan who I believe held Celtic to only 1 goal in Iceland.

Unfortunately I guess JC will have us absolutely park the bus if we get a result at the cross, and I don't like that.

Another thing to note, Icey boys play in some crazy wind and will be used to using it to their advantage if we get some over there.

It was KR themselves that played Celtic last year and lost 4-0 on aggregate (1-0 at home, 3-0 away). Stjarnan are playing them this year.

To be honest, keeping it tight isn't a bad tactic in Europe. Win with a clean sheet at home, sit back away but hit them on the break. The odd away goal in a close tie is crucial. Beating Djurgarden on away goals in 2005, scoring away in Apollon to give us a 2-1 aggregate win and essentially a two goal cushion with the away goal.

I'd be delighted going over to Iceland with a 1-0 lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    It was KR themselves that played Celtic last year and lost 4-0 on aggregate (1-0 at home, 3-0 away). Stjarnan are playing them this year.

To be honest, keeping it tight isn't a bad tactic in Europe. Win with a clean sheet at home, sit back away but hit them on the break. The odd away goal in a close tie is crucial. Beating Djurgarden on away goals in 2005, scoring away in Apollon to give us a 2-1 aggregate win and essentially a two goal cushion with the away goal.

I'd be delighted going over to Iceland with a 1-0 lead.

Are you going to Iceland?

rmchmufc wrote: »
    Your last sentence pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game, how are ticket sales going does anyone know? Will it sell out?

It won't come close to selling out, but I'm sure the club would be delighted if 4 thousand turned up on Thursday.

For some reason the club decided to increase ticket prices for this game which will keep many away from the gate and rightly so. Id say something if we were playing a bigger club at a more advanced stage, but for some shower of Icelandic nobodies? Joke.

Id say 3000 max Thursday.

For some reason the club decided to increase ticket prices for this game which will keep many away from the gate and rightly so. Id say something if we were playing a bigger club at a more advanced stage, but for some shower of Icelandic nobodies? Joke.

Id say 3000 max Thursday.

Agree 100%. For a fan run club its shocking.

CHealy wrote: »
    Agree 100%. For a fan run club its shocking.

Fan run club who made a very bad appointment in the CEO.

Members have the power to set ticket prices (FC United fans do annually, for example) but nobody chose to bring such a motion. So, it must not have been considered a big issue. Could always bring a motion to keep early rounds of Europe at €15 in we qualify again next season.

€20 tickets have been the norm in the last decade, from what I can remember. UEFA Cup in 2005 and 2008 and Intertoto 2007 were €20, weren't they? Including teams like Valur from Iceland, Ekranas from Lithuania, Haka from Finland etc. I'd imagine they'll stay at €20, even if we managed to go on a run.

Expensive to organise club charters and accommodation for 23 players + coaches + staff etc. and transport kit and equipment on such short notice. And we can't take it out of the UEFA prize money, because we don't get that until next summer, so we need some way to raise it.

2005-2008 is not exactly a good time frame to reference as everyone was spending too much.

I was at an inter toto game in Germany years ago between Kaiserslautern and FK Teplice. It was €5. It was €5 as they didnt want to insult their fans by over charging for such a game.

Yet our CEO thinks its ok to charge €20 for what is essentially a preliminary round for the preliminary rounds?
    Expensive to organise club charters and accommodation for 23 players + coaches + staff etc. and transport kit and equipment on such short notice. And we can't take it out of the UEFA prize money, because we don't get that until next summer, so we need some way to raise it.

Should have been built into the budget at the start of the season. Maybe Timmy can use some of the money he saved by neglecting to put enough security on for the Dundalk game?

Will this be streamed online somewhere. I think the Valur game was streamed as far as I can remember.

2005-2008 is not exactly a good time frame to reference as everyone was spending too much.

There has also been inflation in the meantime. €20 ten years ago is worth more than €20 today.
    I was at an inter toto game in Germany years ago between Kaiserslautern and FK Teplice. It was €5. It was €5 as they didnt want to insult their fans by over charging for such a game. Yet our CEO thinks its ok to charge €20 for what is essentially a preliminary round for the preliminary rounds?
    You can get a season ticket in Dortmund's Sudtribune for about the same price as a ST here. Germany have absurdly good value ticket prices.

Kaiserslautern have a 45,000 capacity stadium. If all tickets were €5 (and they probably weren't - German teams have cheap tickets behind the goals, but prices can rise into the hundreds for other seats), then that's an income of €225k. If we charged a fiver a ticket and got a full house, we'd have an income of €34,500. If we got 3,000 at €20, that's an income of €60,000.

Should have been built into the budget at the start of the season. Maybe Timmy can use some of the money he saved by neglecting to put enough security on for the Dundalk game?
    It probably was and the budget probably included Europa League tickets at €20.

You have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about the CEO. Are ticket prices even within his remit, aren't they the area of the board? And that's because we, the members, chose to delegate that power. We can change that if we want to.

Paddico wrote: »
    Will this be streamed online somewhere. I think the Valur game was streamed as far as I can remember.

I don't think Valur was streamed online. I remember only being able to get score updates from Futbol24. Bohs had an away leg streamed online against an Icelandic team a few years ago, though. So they might do something again like this.

I don't have a bit of a bee in my bonnet with him, I have a major one. The ticket prices were decided on by him.

Regardless of the above, €20 for KR Reykevik is too much. It will not get any casual fans through the gate and will make plenty regulars decide to not bother. At worst, the regular €15 should have been the max price.

• Advertisement

From a business point of view I can see why it was set at 20. Lets say there will be at least 2500 paying adults no matter the team (I'm basing that on City having a good core of 2000). At 15 quid, its an income of 37500euro, at 20 quid its 50 grand. Big difference there. But from a personal pov, I think its a load of bollox. I pay 120 a year to be in Foras and "own" the club, I paid 200 quid for a season ticket, I spend hundreds, if not thousands every year travelling all over Ireland to watch them, I'll be over in Iceland next week, and what do I get??? A 20 Euro bill to watch them in Europe. I'll be there no matter what but as I said, its bollox.

Very strange time for the main CCFC forum to be down.
    Any got access yet?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Listen its 5er extra for a European game, moneys going to a good cause get over it,
    Progres 0-0 Rovers, poor start for LOI in europa.
    Keeping a home clean sheet will be vital for corks chance of going through, if we let them score even 1 goal we will need 3 to be safeish.Still fancy rovers but making hard work they'll need a bit of luck

hman231 wrote: »
    Listen its 5er extra for a European game, moneys going to a good cause get over it.

It has nothing to do with the actual money pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

What are you giving out about so

What are you giving out about so

See my earlier post, if you don't understand it from that then I feel sorry for you.

Listen its 5er extra for a European game, moneys going to a good cause get over it,
    Progres 0-0 Rovers, poor start for LOI in europa.
    Keeping a home clean sheet will be vital for corks chance of going through, if we let them score even 1 goal we will need 3 to be safeish.Still fancy rovers but making hard work they'll need a bit of luck

Is CCFC a charity now?

Charging extra for this game shows complete and utter disrespect and contempt for the clubs fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Try to go to all the home matches but I draw the line at €20, way too much.

• Advertisement

Anyone know anything about Copa90 filming at the Cross tomorrow night? They just tweeted saying they were in Cork with a pic of the Cross. Same crowd done the Bohs - Rovers doc a few weeks ago. Huge audience on Youtube.

Advertisement