Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It was more a since of get outta jail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Glad of the 3 points but that was shocking. Sligo had a great opportunity to make it 2-3 moments before our winner. And no one could have said they didn't deserve it.

At 2-0 and cruising the team fell asleep. Took a long long time to wake up.

Just hope that Monday is a big improvement or we are in for a long boring season.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A strange game. Could not call it a classic. Sligo did not really threaten but took their chances well.

A big win, but a slightly lucky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Thought we deserved it over the 90 minutes, but we really should have been out of sight at half time. Shepp did well, but could've been less selfish. He shot from a tight angle when Marky was free 6 yards out and could've slipped the ball through to him in the second half, but blasted it over from distance. Two bad goals to concede, as well. O'Connor well out of position to allow Sligo loads of space down the wing and the second from a corner that just wasn't dealt with. The defence need to up their game, having gotten 7 clean sheets from eight games, conceding 5 goals in three isn't good enough.

Great for O'Sullivan to get the winner, though. Two from two for him now, great to see him keeping it up from last season.

Appalling crowd. We were always going to see a big drop from Dundalk, but 4,000? We were still 3rd going into this match. How can you get more on a Tuesday against Galway than a Friday against Sligo?

Was there 4,000 at it. 3,000 it looked like to me although did not hear official attendance.

Weather today put lot of people off.

• Advertisement

Was there 4,000 at it. 3,000 it looked like to me although did not hear official attendance.

Weather today put lot of people off.

I meant 4,000 less. The official attendance was 2,882. Dundalk was 6,900. We really shouldn't be getting under 3,000 for a Friday night match and we should probably be getting 3,500-4,000 for most of them. While it's great to fill up the place, it's so disheartening to see the attendance plummet by about 60%.

We were never going to get more then 4,000 tonight and the weather alone today played big part in people staying away.

Expect around same crowd on Monday once weather is half decent.

These Monday \Tuesday games are killing our average attendance for season. It will be third time this season so far and reckon it will cost us 1,000 people per game. That's a lot for club like ourselves.

Home to Drogheda tonight, in a game that was brought forward from July to give us a bit of space in Europe. The games are really coming thick and fast now. Three in a week and we'll have another three in the next week and a half after tonight. One goal wins will be more than good enough. I'd be happy with a 1-0 tonight, to get us back to the clean sheets which we haven't seen in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Should be beating Drogheda by more than 1 goal tonight, a win is a win but we need a Derry type win to get the confidence back up going into a tough away game with Limerick on Saturday, and the quater final on Tuesday then Rovers on the Friday.

Could be lowest crowd of season tonight. Be doing well to get 2,500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Outside the ground on the night would be fine, be there a bit early if its one of the bigger sides in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Half time here and that was easily the worst half of football we've played all season. Drogheda easily deserve to be leading, we've been hopeless defensively.
    JT26 wrote: »
    Will be in Ireland for September lads wheres the best place to get tickets for a match?

You can usually get them outside the ground before the game. Can also get them in Soho in the City Centre and the club shop out in Douglas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

4 second half goals, 3 more points obviously a serious turnaround in performance from the first half.

Harsh on Drogs.

Sending off were poor decisions. But I think we just about deserved it in 2nd half display.

JT26 wrote: »
    Will be in Ireland for September lads wheres the best place to get tickets for a match?

As well as what D2D said, you can buy them online on Ticketmaster. The club absorb the service charge, so it ends up costing the same (€15). You'd probably have no bother getting a ticket outside the gate anyway, but it's handy to be able to print them out and skip the queue.

Harsh on Drogs.

Sending off were poor decisions. But I think we just about deserved it in 2nd half display.

I thought they were definite red cards. First one, he dived in two footed and cleaned Kavanagh out of it. He was on a yellow, but got a straight red. Second one was a penalty and a fair second yellow. They also had a third man sent off after the final whistle. I heard Daryl Kavanagh at the game, but Extratime says someone else. Very dirty side, but I don't expect anything less from them

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Great to see Billy Dennehy getting a hatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I thought Karl Sheppard was very poor last night, even if he did eventually get a shot off that went in, very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Fabio

Didn't manage to get to the game last night as I was up the country but I was very worried by the celebrations from the bench last Friday night. You'd swear we had won the league. It was as if it was a surprise that we beat Sligo. We should be beating teams like Sligo handily enough because if we don't then how do we beat teams like Dundalk?

There was always going be a blip, perhaps this is it and it's a good time for one too...I;d rather it early in the season rather than late. On the other hand we play poorly but yet still get results, that's ok...

The first 40 minutes were so poor you wouldn't believe it, Kavanagh giving it away, Miller misplacing almost every pass, Healy heading the ball into the path of a Drogs player to shoot at goal, O'Connor not being able to control numerous passes and the ball going out for a throw in. But there was a lovely move between Healy, Holohan and Sheppard about 41st minute where Sheppard really should have scored, but I think that was the spark and the second half was easy once the goals and red cards came. Even without the sendings off I still think we would have scored another couple of goals so in the end, not a great performance, but they showed good character to get back in the game after a disaster of a 1st half.

Just over 2 thousand at the game, just shy of 5 thousand between the Sligo game on Monday and last night, which in the scheme of things is not too bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Fixtures just keep on coming. Away Saturday to Limerick in the league, then another "double week" on the cards next week with Pats at home in the EA Sports Cup Quarter Final on Tuesday followed by Rovers coming to town on Friday

I'd imagine both City and Pats will be putting out teams with players on the fringes. With Shamrock Rovers on Friday week I certainly hope that will be the case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭lukin

A bit off-topic here but forgive me mods; where is the Cobh Ramblers clubhouse located?I presume it is near St. Colman's park in Cobh but the link on their facebook page sends me to Blackpool;https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cobh-Ramblers-Bar-and-Lounge/326875434018510
    ???

The Cobh Clubhouse is in St Colemans park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

CHealy wrote: »
    I'd imagine both City and Pats will be putting out teams with players on the fringes. With Shamrock Rovers on Friday week I certainly hope that will be the case anyway.

I should hope not! This is a National Competition if Pats want to put out a weaken side leave them off but we should be above that folly. Not too much to ask for professional footballers to play 2 games between Tuesday and Friday.

Id be right pissed off if JC puit out a full team in the mickey mouse league cup and went on to lose against Shams a few days later.

Rest them all. League cup in Ireland should be disbanded imo.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I should hope not! This is a National Competition if Pats want to put out a weaken side leave them off but we should be above that folly. Not too much to ask for professional footballers to play 2 games between Tuesday and Friday.

Na, sorry but no. It would be great to get to a League Cup final an all, great day out bla bla bla, but the League should be our priority this year. We are going to end up in a 4 way battle for two Europa League spots with ourselves, Pats, Rovers and Bohs, assuming at this stage Dundalk won't fault and win the league. Its 210,000 euro minimum for just qualifying for the things, that to me should take priority over the pack of Tayto you get for winning the League Cup.

Danny Morissey, Rob Lehane, Djilali, Michael McSweeney are all players that should be starting against Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

CHealy wrote: »
    Na, sorry but no. It would be great to get to a League Cup final an all, great day out bla bla bla, but the League should be our priority this year. We are going to end up in a 4 way battle for two Europa League spots with ourselves, Pats, Rovers and Bohs, assuming at this stage Dundalk won't fault and win the league. Its 210,000 euro minimum for just qualifying for the things, that to me should take priority over the pack of Tayto you get for winning the League Cup.

Danny Morissey, Rob Lehane, Djilali, Michael McSweeney are all players that should be starting against Pats.

Can't agree with you on that one I'm afraid. We're here to win trophies I fully believe Pat's and Bohs to fall away in the league race as time goes on Rovers, Dalk & ourselves will be the challengers. If were not willing to compete for trophies we might as well fold up our tent at this stage. I fully expect us to qualify for Europe in any event this year. Of the four players you mentioned above with the exception of DJ have done enough this year to start any game.

Not to mention running the risk of injury or suspension. The League cup is only worth it if you win it and the final is at home.

• Advertisement

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Can't agree with you on that one I'm afraid. We're here to win trophies I fully believe Pat's and Bohs to fall away in the league race as time goes on Rovers, Dalk & ourselves will be the challengers. If were not willing to compete for trophies we might as well fold up our tent at this stage. I fully expect us to qualify for Europe in any event this year. Of the four players you mentioned above with the exception of DJ have done enough this year to start any game.

I do take your point and I'm not trying to argue for the sake of it, but I just think if there was a list of priorities, the League Cup should be just above the Munster Senior Cup, and below everything else.

We have a game on Saturday against Limerick, its more than likely going to be a tough slog. I was up there recently and the pitch is like something you'd get in a housing estate park so its going to be a long ball game and its going to be draining. Then we've Pats on Tuesday three days before a huge game against Shamrock Rovers. Thats non stop even for professional players, and recovery time is as important, if not more so than actual fitness.

For me, beating Limerick and Shamrock Rovers is miles ahead of anything else right now. If we can beat Pats while giving fringe players a game, then that would be fantastic too.

Advertisement