Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cronolly

Since installing UPC horizon my wireless printer (HP photosmart B110) won't work.
    The printer picks up the network and asks for the passcode.
    Printer diagnostics says printer is connected with a strong signal.
    The problem is my Laptop (macbook pro) and iPad can't find the printer.
    This wasn't an issue on the old router.

Anybody else experience the same problem or have a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

I have 2 ipads and about 4 to 5 iPhones connected and not once have any of us drop connection. My settings are straight out of the box.

Have the box 3 weeks tomorrow and it only froze two times. I also have a Philips TV with no problems at all like a lot of people not mad about the interface. Strange as it seems both my HD box and standard box have pack in over the last 3 weeks upc coming out tomorrow to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I self-installed on Tuesday and all has been going fine until this evening. I just got home to find broadband and phone not working and error code 6010 on screen.

Has anyone come across this before?

I've unplugged a few times but no change.

Thanks

Edit: this was resolved by self install team in 2 mins. The account wasn't provisioned correctly - probably when upgrading to the 50mb. All ok now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

paulboland wrote: »
    Horizon Wireless there looks as if there is a problem with apple devices on wireless

Ipad, Apple TV (x2) Iphone , Macbook Air and Macbook...no problems

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

I had a problem with my HTC phone constantly disconnecting but my laptop was fine. It turned out the box was picking channel 13 which was causing trouble for the HTC. I changed it to anything else it was grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Ipad, Apple TV (x2) Iphone , Macbook Air and Macbook...no problems
    you may have not noticed it dropping this only happens using the horizon wireless
    try using apps on iPhone 4 like air video or Air Playit it does loose connection then re connects
    When using my own wireless router this does not happen I use a switch from horizon to my wireless router never drops connection
    There have been lot of reports with apple iPhones with horizon you may just have not noticed it happen
    sky wireless connector is the same drops connection using horizon wireless
    again using my own wireless router it never drops connection

Note your iPhone using horizon wireless will show its connected at all times that does not mean its not getting dropouts

Serviio Server works great with horizon by the way
    just remember let Serviio build your library to see all files can take a while if you have very large number of files
    but when its finished plays all except MKV

Windows Media Player Library also works fully no problems
    no need for twonky to be used in fact windows media player library is the best plays all files and formats if you have Shark007 Codecs installed Will play all including mkv

Remember DONT let Horizon scan any of your devices library (don't let it scan)
    just use my devices and by folder search just play and enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I can't connect my IPhone 3gs to the Horizon WiFi but my wife's IPhone 4s is fine. Have to give UPC a ring later

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Synode wrote: »
    I can't connect my IPhone 3gs to the Horizon WiFi but my wife's IPhone 4s is fine. Have to give UPC a ring later

I see from here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices

that 3gs supports Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g) but 4s supports Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)

Are you sure that you haven't set your wireless to N only ?

Check by logging in to the router on http://192.168.192.1/ (admin/admin)
    make sure under /Wireless / 802.11 Mode that it is set to mixed mode ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Yeh I think mine is set to N only. I'll change it now. Cheers.

I'm not getting anywhere near 100mb on wireless at home. Before I got the horizon box I was easily getting 60-80mb on wireless on my IMac and Win7 laptop. Now its only 12-20mb. Been trying to get UPC the last few evenings but no joy. Will give them a buzz today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Synode wrote: »
    Yeh I think mine is set to N only. I'll change it now. Cheers.

I'm not getting anywhere near 100mb on wireless at home. Before I got the horizon box I was easily getting 60-80mb on wireless on my IMac and Win7 laptop. Now its only 12-20mb. Been trying to get UPC the last few evenings but no joy. Will give them a buzz today

Try changing the channel. I get 38mb out of 50mb on channel 12....which is about what I was getting previously. (if this messes up your wifi, you'll need to connect via ethernet to change it back).

These settings increased my wifi from 38mb to 52mb:

Click on Wireless tab and go to Advanced wireless settings. Change the Beacon interval to 75, RTS threshold to 2307 and fragmentation threshold to 2306. Save the settings.

Just in case: Original settings are: 100, 2347 and 2346.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Just got the box today, and yikes! It's EXTREMELY buggy.

I'm getting random error messages popping up saying the box can't show TV channels, and messages saying the box can't access its hard disk when trying to pause/rewind. (Pausing/rewinding almost never works) The apps no longer appear, were working earlier. Tried turning the box off and on again, no joy.

The interface is a bit weird too:
    No channel list.
    No way of browsing the channels via info-bar (as we had with the old box).
    Remote keyboard doesn't always work (thought it might be the orientation, but it just seems to not work occasionally.
    Apps are in the "Now on TV" menu for some weird reason.
    You can change Wifi settings and exit without saving, so I had to go looking for the Apply Changes option.
    In a searchbox, you can't enter text and press Enter to search, Enter just hits whatever button has the keyboard focus. Instead you have to hit down..down..down.. and then Enter.
    Some things needlessly require extra clicks, like to select apps, you need to select the Apps option, then select it again.
    The IP address of the box shown in the UI isn't the IP address of the router gateway (though the correct one isn't hard to guess)
    Trying to enter uppercase text is painfully awkward.
    The search is a little confusing. It limits the keywords you can search for (it doesn't allow you to type words it doesn't recognise), and browsing the results isn't the simplest.

On the plus side, the channel-switching and the Guide are nice and quick. The apps were great, when they worked.. The broadband/Wifi performance is outstanding! I'm getting ~50Mbps when downloading via Wifi; with the old router I might see that in speed tests, but would only get ~20Mbps in downloads even on Ethernet.

(Funnily enough, I had 3 different speeds yesterday, started on 120Mbps, upgraded to 150Mbps as per the recent price increases, downgraded to 100Mbps when switching to Horizon).

Not seeing the bugs. You didn't put the card in the back of the box right?

Channel list: Do you mean the guide? That has a button on the remote.

Browse channels: Press Menu and then down/up to get a preview of other channels.

Keyboard has to be facing up and it can be locked (from working) with a button on the same side.

Apps can be brought up for the channel...to show information related to the program you're watching.

Yeah, the UI designers love to press buttons.

who_me wrote: »
    Just got the box today, and yikes! It's EXTREMELY buggy.

I'm getting random error messages popping up saying the box can't show TV channels, and messages saying the box can't access its hard disk when trying to pause/rewind. (Pausing/rewinding almost never works) The apps no longer appear, were working earlier. Tried turning the box off and on again, no joy.

The interface is a bit weird too:
    No channel list.
    No way of browsing the channels via info-bar (as we had with the old box).
    Remote keyboard doesn't always work (thought it might be the orientation, but it just seems to not work occasionally.
    Apps are in the "Now on TV" menu for some weird reason.
    You can change Wifi settings and exit without saving, so I had to go looking for the Apply Changes option.
    In a searchbox, you can't enter text and press Enter to search, Enter just hits whatever button has the keyboard focus. Instead you have to hit down..down..down.. and then Enter.
    Some things needlessly require extra clicks, like to select apps, you need to select the Apps option, then select it again.
    The IP address of the box shown in the UI isn't the IP address of the router gateway (though the correct one isn't hard to guess)
    Trying to enter uppercase text is painfully awkward.
    The search is a little confusing. It limits the keywords you can search for (it doesn't allow you to type words it doesn't recognise), and browsing the results isn't the simplest.

On the plus side, the channel-switching and the Guide are nice and quick. The apps were great, when they worked.. The broadband/Wifi performance is outstanding! I'm getting ~50Mbps when downloading via Wifi; with the old router I might see that in speed tests, but would only get ~20Mbps in downloads even on Ethernet.

(Funnily enough, I had 3 different speeds yesterday, started on 120Mbps, upgraded to 150Mbps as per the recent price increases, downgraded to 100Mbps when switching to Horizon).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Gone beyond a joke now have to turn off the box every Time it freezes it happens quite a lot 3/4 times a day looking for my subriction back now.

Anyone lose sound on the Disney Channel? No sound on horizon but on my other box its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 patrykeith

Hootanany wrote: »
    Gone beyond a joke now have to turn off the box every Time it freezes it happens quite a lot 3/4 times a day looking for my subriction back now.

Im in the same situation . Told I was getting new box. When guy from upc came he didnt have box and said he didnt know much about horizon. He was sound but not up to date. Still turning off box 3/4 times a day

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Anyone else having problems with series link on Horizon?

I just notices that last night's "the fall" wasn't recorded even though it was on series link and the first 3 episodes were recorded ...

When I check my planned events, only 1 series linked show is left, when I had about 6 planned to be recorded ..

A bit of a pain to say the least ..

Horizon on demand bbc favourites and more uk favourites
    not working
    error code 8010
    rest of demand working anyone else getting this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Was away for a couple of days.
    When I got back the time was wrong on the box, turns out the box had "hung" at 16:04 either today or yesterday...... required a reset using the button on the back of the box.

Later on in the evening, when an ondemand program finished box was unresponsive requireing another restart (this may have been a remote control issue) but appears to be hanging again.

Added to the other "hanging" issues requiring a restart mentioned earlier in this thread does not bode well for me to be honest.
    Gonna call UPC to report the issues I've had in the next couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

Horizon on demand bbc favourites and more uk favourites
    not working
    error code 8010
    rest of demand working anyone else getting this

I got this error and rang UPC. They said they had to remove all the BBC/ UK on demand boxsets and will put them back up in the next week or so....

Sinemo wrote: »
    I got this error and rang UPC. They said they had to remove all the BBC/ UK on demand boxsets and will put them back up in the next week or so....
    Thanks for info

youtube videos in hd today lot of lagging and video stopping
    is it the horizon router or is it just problem with youtue server itself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

Sinemo wrote: »

they didnt know anything about the above when I rang today, they said the horizon team would call me tomorrow on it, and it may be a hard drive issue.

we'll see what they say when they call tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

Record function on Horizon app now working for me on the Horizon box. Great news. Not sure if already discussed. Apologies if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ChrisSmets

Just looked I still cant set a program to be recorded via the online Tv Guide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

youtube videos in hd today lot of lagging and video stopping
    is it the horizon router or is it just problem with youtue server itself

It's a problem with the way the majority of ISPs treat the main YT servers, staggering when under load.

Google "how to make YouTube load faster windows" and one of the top results should give information on how to blacklist that address in the command-line and it serves from the alternatives (much faster).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

ChrisSmets wrote: »
    Just looked I still cant set a program to be recorded via the online Tv Guide

I'm using the app on my iphone. Working fine. haven't tried the PC web site online guide yet.

Ok Just set a bunch of stuff to record via the web site and via the app.

We wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ChrisSmets

seanie27 wrote: »
    I'm using the app on my iphone. Working fine. haven't tried the PC web site online guide yet.

Go figure 2 years into it and they have YET to release an app for the dominant mobile phone OS... Been getting kickbacks from the Holy Hill (Apple Ireland's HQ) crowd Upc? Seriously tho, if it hadn't been for the sky nonsense of having to have an active phoneline I would have gone back to Sky as they do have an android app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

kippy wrote: »
    Was away for a couple of days.
    When I got back the time was wrong on the box, turns out the box had "hung" at 16:04 either today or yesterday...... required a reset using the button on the back of the box.

Later on in the evening, when an ondemand program finished box was unresponsive requireing another restart (this may have been a remote control issue) but appears to be hanging again.

Added to the other "hanging" issues requiring a restart mentioned earlier in this thread does not bode well for me to be honest.
    Gonna call UPC to report the issues I've had in the next couple of days.

Had the same issue. Box hung at 05:20 on Monday morning. Internet was still working fine but tv was not working. Only solution was to power cycle it. Happened again last night at 19:45 while watching a tv show the signal went dead and box and remote were unresponsive yet internet / phone still working.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement