Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nice Forecast by Dan on UKASF for 2moro :) ... I was gonna go for a squall line feature and then seen this :) ..

Synopsis:

Broad upper trough will be located to the west of Britain, with various shortwaves running anticlockwise around the base. Beneath the trough, a deep surface low will be centred west of the Hebrides, with an associated occluded front moving erratically eastwards across the British Isles during the day. Convection is expected behind the front, primarily over Ireland.
    Discussion:

A strong jet aloft will allow >50kts DLS, with the bulk of this (30-45kts) in the lowest km. As a result it is possible that, with ELTs only -10C or warmer, some low-topped line convection may occur on the back-edge of the front with the potential for a few bowing segments. Given the shallow nature of such convection, lightning activity is rather unlikely and is considered too low for a SLGT coverage level at this time.

In the wake of the front, cool mid-levels (-19/-20C at 500mb) will overspread Ireland, Northern Ireland and western Scotland, steepening lapse rates and generating 500-600J/kg CAPE. Showers and a few thunderstorms are likely, more especially in the late afternoon and evening hours with the progression of a shortwave.

Given up to 70kts DLS/20kts LLS, showers/storms are likely to become well-organised into linear clusters, with the threat of backbuilding/shower training enhancing the risk of local flooding. Low LCLs (occasionally <600m) with sufficient LLS may allow a funnel or weak tornado to occur. Stronger cells may also produce hail up to 1.5cm in diameter.
    http://ukasf.co.uk/storm-forecasts/216

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Torrential Rain across East Connaught at the moment,thunder any one? Moving East.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Nice bit of "wet" rain over Longford by the looks of the radar. No lightnings though. Roll on tomorrow afternoon... half decent chance of a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Forecasted rain has hit Cork - very windy and wet here at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I'm so sick of this horrible weather!! It's like living in hell only damp and wet!!!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

The rains really coming down here close to Kilkenny City (Kilmanagh 10kish)
    Winds picked up allot too.

Really need a day or two of warm dry weather so I can get the lawn cleaned up. It's basically got silage on it :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Estofex have us in Level 1 threat area today for:

A level 1 was issued for W UK and parts of Ireland for severe wind gusts and tornadoes.

Some hundred J/kg of CAPE are forecast along the cold front of a strong low pressure system which slowly translates to the northeast. Strong winds at lower levels (20 m/s at 850 hPa) may support a few severe wind gusts if additional evaporative cooling accelerates the downdraughts. Due to strong LL winds and therefore some LL shear and locally enhanced SRH, an isolated tornado event is also possible.

http://www.estofex.org/

Hopefully the clearing from the W will help get things in order for some action later on this evening :) ...

218547.png

Nice back edge to the system too at the time of this shot..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

what could happen later ian?

diceyd wrote: »
    what could happen later ian?

Probably a few cells popping up in the Midlands moving E NE some thundery... a nice squall line would be nice too as what does get going will be able to feed of the Decent Shear to last longer... very low LCLs ( cloud heights ) might produce some funnels :) ...

Id like to see some surface heating first though.. but ye... hopefully :)

EDIT... apparently a strike record just over at the phoenix park?!!... glitch perahaps ?.. i would've heard that clear as day surely! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Iancar29 wrote: »
    EDIT... apparently a strike record just over at the phoenix park?!!... glitch perahaps ?.. i would've heard that clear as day surely! :confused:

Probably just some old boy on a Honda 50. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Sat24, eldingar, and NW all got the single strike in the phoneix park:).

Hal1 wrote: »
    Sat24, eldingar, and NW all got the single strike in the phoneix park:). Unless it was the races but I think they have finished.

I'd still think it was not lightning (but of course could have been?). You can occassionly get rogue sferics showing from arc welding or other sources of (large) electrical sparks (or a mis firing Honda 50! :)) or sometimes they can show up when there is a strong inversion causing refraction.

Usually lightning detectors should be looked at in conjunction with sat and radar but of course there is such a thing/phenomenon as a 'bolt out of the blue'!

Hal1 wrote: »
    Sat24, eldingar, and NW all got the single strike in the phoneix park:).
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'd still think it was not lightning (but of course could have been?). You can occassionly get rogue sferics showing from arc welding or other sources of (large) electrical sparks (or a mis firing Honda 50! :)) or sometimes they can show up when there is a strong inversion causing refraction.

Usually lightning detectors should be looked at in conjunction with sat and radar but of course there is such a thing/phenomenon as a 'bolt out of the blue'!

Ye true, i texted my cousin over on the opposite side of the park and she heard nothing either...

Anyways... current radar is looking nice imo , the cell in Limerick /Tipp should be sparking soon :)

218559.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Some really nice looking mammatus east of Swords about half an hour ago, didn't get any pics :mad:

422180_10151200562551718_1377379411_n.jpg

Come on sun! , feed those clouds! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Fairly major rotation directly overhead and a sudden increase in wind too!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Torrential rain here in Drogheda and one BOOM from that nice line.

218568.JPG
    rain.JPG

Perhaps the heaviest rain I have ever witnessed since I loved here. Was mental heavy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I'm just down after along a short flight out over Meath and Westmeath. Some of the views of the developing showers were breathtaking from the air and I shot some video which I will post later. I met that wall of black doom near Castlepollard and it was then that I reckoned yep, time to get back on the ground!!!

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »
    I'm just down after along a short flight out over Meath and Westmeath. Some of the views of the developing showers were breathtaking from the air and I shot some video which I will post later. I met that wall of black doom near Castlepollard and it was then that I reckoned yep, time to get back on the ground!!!

Look forward to seeing the video......think I might have heard you flying over a while ago :)

A couple of strikes in Kildare now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Must have been me, I was the only one up there today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Thunder erupting in Meath now !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Not wrote: »
    Thunder erupting in Meath now !
    Incredible! Its quite pleasant where I am with the sun shining through the cirrus. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Incredible! Its quite pleasant where I am with the sun shining through the cirrus. :confused:

Wont be like that for very long...;)

Quietened down here, just amounted to a huge explosion like clap, and followed by a long rumble, and a lot of rain - hark there's another one as I type...!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just took a look out the south side of the house, something fairly biblical looking only a few minutes away, black clouds with a low rolling front, would that be mammatus?

Either way, about to get very wet here in short order, will report the specifics

Edit: Distant rolling thunder and beginning of rain, 1745

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

hoping something comes from these dirty black clouds :D gone very dark out now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just hitting castleknock now ... gone very dark ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Getting very dark in dn22 now and wind picking up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement