Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options
1838485868789»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

No BANGS in Drogheda. yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Bursts of heavy rain in Greystones, but no thunder that I can hear.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Another day....another bit of a let down (here in Dublin). Just have to wait for winter, easterlies and thundersnow!

In the past few years we seem to have had more storms in winter than summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Another day....another bit of a let down (here in Dublin). Just have to wait for winter, easterlies and thundersnow!

Agreed, I think this mornings show down the south east was definitely the main event. More unwarranted rampage from Netweather - slight risk of Torrential downpours, thunderstorms and funnels - outcome? Mizzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Well I think Athlone just had a monsoon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

big black sky rolling in here,fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Something brewing in the Midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

pad199207 wrote: »
    Something brewing in the Midlands?

Yep, some more rain heading this direction !

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Could it be Dublin bound...no it'll divert on up to Drogheda again !!!

Seriously they get all the good stuff.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

You won't miss much H2UMrsRobinson if it does divert.

It's only rain anyway, no sign of any sferics from it.(yet)

• Advertisement

You won't miss much H2UMrsRobinson if it does divert.

It's only rain anyway, no sign of any sferics from it.(yet)

Was just thinking that myself. It's only a bit of bloody rain. I'm snow deprived that's what it is. In my head all that precip is potential snow !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

DOCARCH wrote: »

AGREE!!

Bring on winter!!

THe last good lightning storm i saw here was This one!!! ... though not at all as close as the video , still enjoyed it nicely from my window! :)

TO THUNDERSNOW!!!:D

beer_toast-912.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Iancar29 wrote: »
    AGREE!!

Bring on winter!!

THe last good lightning storm i saw here was This one!!! ... though not at all as close as the video , still enjoyed it nicely from my window! :)

TO THUNDERSNOW!!!:D

beer_toast-912.jpg

i've watched that a couple of times, that was a beauty. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some of the best lightning I have ever witnessed has been in the winter :) Winter thunderstorms seem to have a certain power to them. Remember one such storm moving up from Galway Bay years ago. Big lightning before the booming thunder drew closer and closer. Oh the days when we used to get some real west of Ireland weather in the west of Ireland! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I'll never forget the first night of snow in November 2010...walking down to Coliemore harbour in Dalkey with the graupel hacking into my face...then massive flakes starting to fall and cracking blue strikes of lightning illuminating Dalkey Island, Howth and the whole of Dublin bay...thunderstorms always excite me, and if you throw snow into them..well that's a weather enthusiast's best drug... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some of the best lightning I have ever witnessed has been in the winter :) Winter thunderstorms seem to have a certain power to them. Remember one such storm moving up from Galway Bay years ago. Big lightning before the booming thunder drew closer and closer. Oh the days when we used to get some real west of Ireland weather in the west of Ireland! :o

Pics or GTFO!:D

Remember winter before last, opening my front door to look at the snow and at same time a massive thunder snow bolt in sky overhead and the loudest bang I ever heard. I actually screamed out loud - it scared the bejaysus us out of me. Ahh good times !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My son is on his hols and reported TS yeasterday.

I've my triple bypass done about a week now. am at home and looked at my PC for first time today and decided it was hard work!

So I won't promise to upload his vids.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

patneve2 wrote: »
    I'll never forget the first night of snow in November 2010...walking down to Coliemore harbour in Dalkey with the graupel hacking into my face...then massive flakes starting to fall and cracking blue strikes of lightning illuminating Dalkey Island, Howth and the whole of Dublin bay...thunderstorms always excite me, and if you throw snow into them..well that's a weather enthusiast's best drug... :)

I remember back in 2008, I was in Drogheda when snow fell on the night of the 3rd January (about half a foot of it by morning :D ), and around 2am I remember waking up to flashes of forked lightning outside. Mind you, there was no thunder (the heavy snow probably blocked out the sound), so it was eerily silent. It was really freaky, but amazing at the same time.

Here's hoping we see more of it this winter. :)

patneve2 wrote: »

I sure remember the first night too! :D
    Went "snow chasing " to bray with Trogdor and Winger_Pl ! :cool:

Bring on more this year ! :D
    gbee wrote: »
    My son is on his hols and reported TS yeasterday.

I've my triple bypass done about a week now. am at home and looked at my PC for first time today and decided it was hard work!

So I won't promise to upload his vids.

Good to hear your safe and well ! :)

EDIT : forgot to post my possible horizontal vortex photo from wednesday.

7895947892_65f398bc3c.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41948286@N02/7895947892/sizes/m/in/photostream/

What yas think?... It was too far away to try see any rotation in it :(

• Advertisement

Great Map of the accumulated sferic date throughout the summer! .. Courtesy of Netweather.tv :)

http://forum.netweather.tv/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139468

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

what clouds are these they look cool
    A2IYPAtCYAA4VV8.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

jimmynokia wrote: »
    what clouds are these they look cool
    A2IYPAtCYAA4VV8.jpg:large

Think they are called Lenticular clouds due their lens like shape?

Here a couple I got above the house this evening, they're a great sight, loads of them between Dublin and Ashford on the way home
    bf9f51988b1fe999d126f2bdbe36c96f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

They're Altocumulus lenticularis or "pile d'assiettes" (pile of plates). Some nice ones today.

We're now on Autumn so maybe this jumbo thread has run its course?

They look cool they must of been the ones passing over my way today.
    So su do we have an autumn thunderstorm / convective watch thread?
    If so post link for it thanks...
    Any weather is possible in this little country these days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there was lots of them over arklow this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

A nice few flashes and rumbles down here :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement