Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Weather is shocking in Cork now..

All dry,sunny and warm..

Terribly boring..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

A few interesting showers showing up around Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Great capture by Martin McKenna up in Antrim just 2 hours ago.. Could of certainly been some ground rotation from it! 7832430268_bd5a998c47.jpg

Some nice convection dying off at sunset this evening :)

255539_10151186991881718_745992718_n.jpg

Then edit i made on photoshop with it :)

527241_10151187064831718_804289553_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Ian, did you see Paul Martins sunset photos? They had some great convection along with mammatus clouds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Thunder in Drogheda!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Good few rumbles of thunder here in Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Some very heavy sweeping rain here in Swords. For about 5 minutes. Now its bright and sunny again!

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Good few rumbles of thunder here in Dundalk

Ridiculous amount, the dog is wrecked after half an hour of chasing it. :pac: Saw a fork of lightning as well.

Ridiculous amount, the dog is wrecked after half an hour of chasing it. :pac: Saw a fork of lightning as well.
    Seems to have stopped now but it was pretty much ongoing rumbles for at least 20 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Plenty of strikes around there all right, could be more on the way later

96552328.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Loud rumble in Blayney just now, there was one earlier too.

Doesn't seem a particularly active shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Another bang in Drogheda just now, awaiting the rain now...

Sky over Dundalk @ 15:55 today

dscn0258dundalk22082012.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXBOVbwMMKY&feature=player_embedded

Dont know how to embed videos lol.so if somebody can tell me it would be great

Anyway this is a video of a thunderstorm developing in italy

From https://twitter.com/MeteoTimesIRL seem to be pretty good with info and photos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

No thunder here in Collooney today :( plenty convection and a few downpours which raised my hopes but got sweet fanny adams (nothing!).

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Just back from Foo Fighters in Belfast.

We had an epic thunder and lighning show yesterday around 4pm, some rain with it too !

Got the train back down today too and the cells were incredible. A few of them off the coast were very impressive. A good few sparks too !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Got the train back down today too and the cells were incredible. A few of them off the coast were very impressive. A good few sparks too !

As Iancar might say, photos or GTF! :D

DOCARCH wrote: »

Loooooooooooooooooooool! :D
    was going to say that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I've been watching cell after cell roll by west to east. Dublin 4 is always on the fringe. But the views are amazing. Just wish one would explode with some lightening.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »

DAM RIGHT!! :D :pac:

Got home just in time for some great convection going past once again, did a handheld timelapse video so hopefully it comes out ok...

Heres my iphone shots from my hand that i had free ha.

Some The heavy band that went by to the North of DUblin ,really surprised it didnt have any sparkys :(

Anyways....

Decent Structure for a time :)
    546562_10151189094016718_901519419_n.jpg

Sorry for the shakes , was holding the camera up to the attic window, too high for a tripod setup

Rainbow :)
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/557282_10151189100341718_2021257021_n.jpg

Frontal edge of Cell :)
    http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/582677_10151189097556718_2049983578_n.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see Estofex has a Level 1 warning this morning for the SE quadrant* of Ireland mainly for heavy rain but the southern half of Ireland is in the 50% thunderstorm risk area.

... W/SW-UK, parts of Ireland and parts of NW France ...

A strong 995 hPa depression moves from Ireland to W-UK. Attendant well structured cold front enters the forecast area from the west during the day with a slow eastward motion forecast. A pronounced dry slot overtakes the cold front and assists in an active thunderstorm period mainly within the highlighted 50% lightning area. Those storms evolve within an environment with strong directional shear (e.g. 15 m/s LL shear and 200 J/kg SRH-1) and LCLs well below 1000 m. A few tornado events are possible next to strong wind gusts and marginal hail. The severe risk decreases after sunset although some surface based convection may persist over N-France. Strong shear still supports an isolated better organized thunderstorm event with strong wind gusts and an isolated tornado event. Hence the level 1 was expanded all the way to NE France.

An occlusion wraps around the depression's center with an augmented probability for training thunderstorm activity mainly over S-Ireland. Heavy rain will be the main hazard as modified subtropical air wraps around the center of the depression.

http://www.estofex.org/

I also note Dublin AP is reporting Cbs observed at 0700.

* Have been watching too many Siobhan Ryan forecasts! :D

Recent sferic north of Athlone (probably around the top end of Lough Ree).

As Iancar alluded to yesterday, if we could get a bit of sun out, could be another interesting day!

BEST WATCH FOR THUNDERSTROMS ACTIVITY IN THE KERRY to WEXFORD Region for the rest of the day if the post frontal cloud clears well enough . Some nice potential for funnels with LLS at 25knts . :)
    HOpe to see photos later when home from work guys!!

Iancar29 wrote: »
    BEST WATCH FOR THUNDERSTROMS ACTIVITY IN THE KERRY to WEXFORD Region for the rest of the day if the post frontal cloud clears well enough . Some nice potential for funnels with LLS at 25knts . :)
    HOpe to see photos later when home from work guys!!

Yeah, looking at sat looks like cloud might clear the south coast soon.

Nice little cell has got itself going just south of Wexford town. 7 strikes on UKMO detector (when I last looked).

Another strike inland in Cork (north of Youghal).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Confirmed!

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Confirmed!

Be a dear and just pop that on the train to Dublin! :D

• Advertisement

Thunderstorm in rosslare

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement