Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yeah Leahyl, we're getting it now in West-ish Waterford, torrential. We've had rain and wind more or less all evening, but this is something else.
    Just have my Sky back since yesterday, internet last week, and still no phone and solar panel box after that lightning mid August... Hoping the lightning doesn't come our way, let others enjoy it this time !
    We've learned since that the fellow fixing Sky in our area has had nine calls because of that lightning !

Don't forget to unplug every thing you can people, if you hear rumble.

Am i the only one that NEVER does this?... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I know, I didn't either :(
    Not nice to have to wait and pay for fixing everything though.

I always just consider if theres gonna be lightning near me itll hit the Church right across the road with the lightning conductor on the top ha.

Tullamore about to get DRENCHED!

Btw 2moro is looking good for more gust front (linear) type storms 2moro! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Had a nasty downpour here earlier this afternoon which produced a couple of long rumbles as the shower moved away.

AH now!!.. here we feckin go again!

Random strike just south of Navan!!..... whats with NAVAN LATLEY!?! ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Iancar29 wrote: »
    AH now!!.. here we feckin go again!

Random strike just south of Navan!!..... whats with NAVAN LATLEY!?! ha

Getting very close to me so! :eek: :D

Eyes are feeling heavy though :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

218769.png

If i dont hear more than 2 rumbles of thunder 2moro i have officially lost all hope of a good irish thunderstorm!!!! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

:eek: :eek: :eek:

218769.png

If i dont hear more than 2 rumbles of thunder 2moro i have officially lost all hope of a good irish thunderstorm!!!! ha

Can you explain this Ian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Waiting for a flash and a rumble here any sec..torrential rain with the sky box gone wallop:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

eh, that's got my attention.

and also, the last big storm we had in june, i had the blinds up,and laptop opened and what spectacular display that was. *sigh*

• Advertisement

Can you explain this Ian?

Said charts + moisture ... = BOOOM!

05_cunim_cityb.jpg

:pac: :pac: :pac:

Id go with Estofex having a level 2 for ireland for 2moro , severe gusts at times, large hail and .. potential tornadoes down south.. :D

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    eh, that's got my attention.

and also, the last big storm we had in june, i had the blinds up,and laptop opened and what spectacular display that was. *sigh*

The last big display I got was in......... America ... the same week ha :rolleyes:

i'm drooling. heaven right now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

SigWx aviation chart for 12Z tomorrow shows occasional Cbs with tops to FL300 (30,000 ft) over all of Ireland tomorrow.

PGDE14_EGRR_1200.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The strongest returns on the Met Radar ive seen in a long long time....on the 2345 still.

i saw that, there's also a bit of bright blue in the midlands. never seen that before

Su Campu wrote: »
    SigWx aviation chart for 12Z tomorrow shows occasional Cbs with tops to FL300 (30,000 ft) over all of Ireland tomorrow.

PGDE14_EGRR_1200.PNG

As i said... BOOOM!

05_cunim_cityb.jpg;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

All the TAFs for tomorrow call for moderate showers and broken Cb, but the only one showing thunderstorms is Belfast Aldergrove.

TAF EGAA 281704Z 2818/2918 22013KT 9999 SCT025 BECMG 2819/2822 15016G26KT TEMPO 2821/2901 6000 RA SHRA BKN010 BECMG 2900/2903 19012KT PROB30 TEMPO 2901/2908 BKN012 TEMPO 2909/2918 5000 +SHRA +TSRA=

Forecast soundings for tomorrow are showing total totals of 55-60, which would hint at widespread heavy and thundery showers.

NICK F , Net Weather
    Posted 9 minutes ago
    My forecast for Wednesday, pretty widespread risk of storms in post frontal airmass.

Valid: 25/08/2012 06:00 - 26/08/2012 06:00
    Headline: ... THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST...

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139238

Synopsis
    Deep upper trough to W of the British Isles Tues night will begin to shift eastwards across the UK on Wednesday. Surface depression to W of Ireland will drift NE and expected to be centred close to the N coast of Ireland around 998mb by 12z Weds, while associated occluding cold front lies Whitby - Bournemouth with unstable post frontal airmass following with troughs in the flow moving east.

... ENGLAND, WALES, SCOTLAND and EIRE ...

Some potential exists for linear convection to develop with passage of occluding cold front which is indicated to be overlapped by fairly strong DL Shear (40-50knts) and low-level shear (15-20 knts) ... which suggests a strong wind gust threat and perhaps a tornado can't be ruled out. However, there is uncertainty over whether any strong/deep convection will occur - with GFS unkeen on the idea, so will not highlight a severe risk area.

Otherwise, post frontal airmass will be characterised by steep low-mid level lapse rates as colder mid-level air (at or below -20C) spreads in from the west with arrival of upper trough. Steep lapse rates, surface heating, large scale ascent and forced ascent near troughs will favour the development of widespread heavy showers and thunderstorms which will spread NE from fairly early on in the west across most areas by the afternoon following frontal rain pushing east. Overlap of strong jet stream across increasingly unstable post frontal airmass over England and Wales suggests storms could organise into bands - particularly near shortwave troughs moving in - with a risk of localised flooding from prolonged torrential downpours along with strong wind gusts and perhaps hail locally to 2cm or more in size with stronger storms.

Over Ireland, backing winds ahead of approaching surface low moving in close to the W/NW may enhance low-level shear with a tornado or two not ruled out with any stronger cells here

I NEED A CAR!!!! :(:( ha

EDIT- more recent strikes just out west of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Only a level 1 from estofeckers :rolleyes:.
    ... western UK ... <---:confused:

Beneath the western European trough, a rather deep surface low slowly moves towards western UK with a frontal system. At least marginal instability will be in place once the quite cold mid levels overspread the region. Some storms might form and enhance threat for some strong winds across Ireland given the quite strong wind field around the cyclone. A marginal level 1 has been issued to cover this potential threat.

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    Only a level 1 from estofeckers :rolleyes:.

#FAIL .... thats for tuesday not Wednesday... :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just before 11.40pm tonight... no thunder though :(

HD available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Torrential sideways rain splashing off cars down here in wex

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

Lucan getting lashed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Clonakilty flooded again - fire brigade pumping out water as I write this...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The rain tap nust turned on here, takes a lot to wake me up! no thunder or wind just biblical rain. id be really interested in the mm/hr peak rate as it blew thru

leahyl wrote: »
    Clonakilty flooded again - fire brigade pumping out water as I write this...

:( well that sucks. i hope it's not as bad as the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

pics of clonakilty on cork 96fm's facebook page guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

#FAIL .... thats for tuesday not Wednesday... :rolleyes: ;)

Valid: Tue 28 Aug 2012 06:00 to Wed 29 Aug 2012 06:00 UTC

Technically it is valid :P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yep Clonakilty under water AGAIN.
    228444_458329700865954_1396260863_n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement