Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Here's my effort of the convection over a couple of hours today. Unfortunately, I didn't have as good a vantage point as Sum Campu! ;)

As always, best viewed in HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

highdef wrote: »
    Fantastic video Su Campu. It must not have been your plane I heard going over my house earlier as I don't think your flight path took you over me, unless you flew over on the way back.

Amazing video though. jimmynokia, I think you will find that Su Campu is already a pilot :p

I headed out Maynooth-Kilcock-Summerhill around 15:45 so it could have been me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

p
    highdef wrote: »
    Fantastic video Su Campu. It must not have been your plane I heard going over my house earlier as I don't think your flight path took you over me, unless you flew over on the way back.

Amazing video though. jimmynokia, I think you will find that Su Campu is already a pilot :p
    Cool much respect ,always wanted to be a pilot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

What time around did you take that video Su? Will be interesting to see a radar image of it on the NW radar.

What time around did you take that video Su? Will be interesting to see a radar image of it on the NW radar.

It started at 15:46 and ended around 16:05. The Castlepollard shot was from around 16:00. That was a beast of a thing, the video didn't do it justice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Heres a few of mine from today...

sorry about the quality , stupid fb compression rate is shocking.
    Shall upload them and more in Hi Res on my flickr 2moro...

Anyways...

Panoramic of BLACKNESS :)
    574699_10151201598691718_1646051163_n.jpg

Needle funnel cloud HDR ( to try get it more visible as i didnt have my zoom lens on :( )
    538614_10151201603086718_1268390585_n.jpg

Cropped version
    10493_10151201601996718_1936827102_n.jpg

Coast Guard helicopter off into the BEAST
    284615_10151201603806718_1746050693_n.jpg

The planes where taken off and doing an immediate turn to get away from the showers.

Great photos and videos from others folks! :) .. NOt a bad day at all considering there was no lightning near me ..

So ye , more 2moro when im home . :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

amazing rain here today and about 30 bangs of thunder and the odd flash of lightning, felt very mild too so all in all an interesting day.

Here is how the shower that Su flew around looked on the radar at the time of his flying. (took location from video cues - Summerhill/Trim area). That shower really developed over during the course of the video clip. (radar image from Netweather)

meath_radar_animation_1.gif

Thanks for that Deep. I flew through a gap southwest of Summerhill, which you can see in the video at around 2:10 - 2:15.

I'd be interested in seeing the one further west at Castlepollard at 16:00 if you get the chance. Hop to it!!!!!!:D:D:D

Su Campu wrote: »
    Hop to it!!!!!!

Here Mr. Boss!

meath2.gif

Panned out a little to give a wider view. The shower you mentioned passed though Mullingar as well. Must have gave a fair total on the hourly reports at the synoptic station.

Edit. Not actually same shower that hit Mullingar, blind as a bat!!

• Advertisement

Ah thanks a lot! Yes I could see that Mullingar shower to my south but didn't capture it on video.

Mullingar reported 0.4 mm at 1600 and 2.1 mm at 1700, but some of that second total may have been from the second shower we see heading towards it at the end of your clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Heres a few of mine from today...

sorry about the quality , stupid fb compression rate is shocking.

Use imgur.com to host your images!

Fantastic images though. What camera do you have?

Use imgur.com to host your images!

Fantastic images though. What camera do you have?

Thanks man,
    Shall be putting them up on flickr shortly with more...

Its a Nikon D7000 ... and for these i was using a 10-20mm sigma f3.0 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some rumbles of Thunder between Westport and Castlebar in the past 20 minutes along with very heavy rain.Clearing off from the South now.

Heres the Link to the hi res versions of my photos , plus a view more i got through :)

ENJOY!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41948286@N02/

:eek:

Night time light show possible over the sea tonight?!

218727.png

EDIT

Yesterday's storm in a short video . Use HD for best quality .

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

A bit of activity to the south west at the moment, with some very heavy rain moving in.

218740.GIF

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yeah, Esrofex in thier forecast for today/tonight mentioned risk of storms tonight.

A few sparks off the west coast this evening and just off the West Cork coast.

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Lightningwizard charts are pretty impressive for tonight. Some people could see some real action

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Su Campu wrote: »
    Lightningwizard charts are pretty impressive for tonight. Some people could see some real action

Is Dublin in that zone

• Advertisement

Pretty much anywhere is in with a chance but central and western areas best.

Sherkin Island reported 14.0 mm of rain in one hour up to 21:00!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Heavy rain over the last 45 minutes has turned torrential in the last 5 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Some pretty decent radar returns now over Limerick and into Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Blue Lightning flashes over Galway Bay in the direction of the Aran Islands

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That'll be all the aran jumpers rubbing off each other in the céile's going on there :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Rain over the west and south will move eastwards early tonight, with some thundery bursts likely.

was'nt expecting much from this front but getting steady upgrades all day.
    Was a risk of thunder earlier'..now its likely:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys we had rain here in the last 20 minutes or so and I've never heard it so heavy! Unreal so it was and by the looks of the met.ie radar there's more to come :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

haven't heard rain like that in a while. wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah Leahyl, we're getting it now in West-ish Waterford, torrential. We've had rain and wind more or less all evening, but this is something else.
    Just have my Sky back since yesterday, internet last week, and still no phone and solar panel box after that lightning mid August... Hoping the lightning doesn't come our way, let others enjoy it this time !
    We've learned since that the fellow fixing Sky in our area has had nine calls because of that lightning !

Don't forget to unplug every thing you can people, if you hear rumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

ah well feck it. Think we have thunder here. :eek:

edit : great it seems all gone now 23.00

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement