Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

The streaker at the end of the game was pretty much the only good part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The streaker at the end of the game was pretty much the only good part of it.

Nah Tormeys finish was quality as well.

The streaker had some pace though to be fair

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Funny thing was that no one tried to catch him :pac:
    All they did was open the gate for him at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

i think we really learned nothing from that today. I liked that we were clinical in taking the goal chances too, ive seen people cribbing on other platforms that we "only" scored 13 points and that isnt good enough. what the hell do people want from this team? we got to shake off a bit of rust that was evident in the first fifteen minutes, got some lads their championship debuts and got important players off early injury free.

despite the level of opposition I was impressed with bryan mcmahon, he settled really well after his goal and andy tormey had an excellent game. we need another younger version of seamie kenny too, hes excellent sinffing around midfield picking up breaks, i just dont think hed stick 70 minutes these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Whats the thoughts about the Kildare game?

A lot of Killdare Gaa people I talk to are relatively confident they wil beat us. But on the flip side a lot of Meath fans are also confident Meath will win. Someone is wrong and in for a disappointment in two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Mauser 308 wrote: »

A lot of Killdare Gaa people I talk to are relatively confident they wil beat us. But on the flip side a lot of Meath fans are also confident Meath will win. Someone is wrong and in for a disappointment in two weeks.

Think it will be a cracker. Impossible to call. Expect a big crowd for the double header. Possible over 60k.

Mauser 308 wrote: »

you cant call it, both first games were non events really. i would be worried about a jason ryan team he's a good manager and they seem to have changed tack in terms of their approach from last year. i just hope bryan menton is fit for it, id rather see him at centre half and donal keogan in the corner. not that donal had a bad game on sunday, but i just dont trust mickey burke to man mark properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Has anyone any idea where I could view the whole/highlights of the game? I can't view RTE from where I am

pipelaser wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea where I could view the whole/highlights of the game? I can't view RTE from where I am

Sunday game highlights here if you didn't find them already:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRng-5OSftM

Jaysus the Donaghmore/Ashbourne lads have been busy:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Looks like mickey Newman will be missing on Sunday with hamstring injury. Massive loss for us. Unreal bad luck with injuries this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

We literally can't catch a break

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

maybe david bray could replace mickey newman for the game, can't believe we've another player injured suppose atleast he won't be out for the season only for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Have any players returned that were injured for the carlow game?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Mickey Newman will definitely play. So I heard. He was supposed to be injured for the Carlow game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Where are the rumours coming from that he's injured?

It would be a fairly big now if he was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Where are the rumours coming from that he's injured?

It would be a fairly big now if he was

Its all here

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=219026

Not sure how we can plug this gap. Who will take the frees? POR, Carroll or possibly Bray? Any chance of any late call ups I wonder. Either way this is very worrying.

You have to laugh. If you didn't, you'd cry.

So which essential player will be next to get injured? Keogan or Paddy O'Rourke maybe?

As for frees, I'd have either Shane O'Rourke or Brian McMahon on them. Maybe with Paddy taking long range frees. Hoping this injury will spur the rest of the players into the performance of their lives (we had similar problems last time we played them in the championship) but I honestly can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Very serious loss! We've been extremely unlucky with injuries this year unfortunately. If we had a full squad available I would be reasonably confident going into this weekend but as it is I will be very nervous.

We will need all of the forwards to up their game to compensate for Newman but I think that our forwards if they all perform should be up to the task.

Will Menton be back does anyone know? I think we're going to need Reilly, Keoghan and Menton all fully fit if we are to beat Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Huge loss for Meath. Newman was arguably your best player last year. It's such a pity because I was really looking forward to this game.

Harrington and Menton are supposedly back training but I dont know if its in time for them to be ok for Sunday. Newman is a big loss too, Fergal Lynch had it on twitter that hes definitley going to be out. I think we should get the rosary beads and candles out for a miracle recovery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Meath (SFC v Kildare) - Paddy O'Rourke; Caolan Young, Kevin Reilly (capt), Mickey Burke; Padraic Harnan, Donal Keogan, Damien Carroll; Brian Meade, Bryan Menton; Donnacha Tobin, Shane O'Rourke, Andy Tormey; Graham Reilly, Stephen Bray, Bryan McMahon.

Meath team for Sunday named. Some good news in that Menton is back in and starts at midfield. Harrington apparently should be fit on Sunday as well. McMahon in corner forward for Newman

Not too happy with our corner backs. Don't know if Curran is injured or what but I'd have him in the corner in front of Young who gets caught out far too easily. Mickey is going to have to curb his forays forward or we're going to be badly caught out on the break. Not gone on Keogan at centre back either but we'll see if he can be as good as he usually is in the corner.
    I think Tobin is a good choice to mark Bolton as he's going to be constantly tracking back.

One thing I presume the team is ready for is the quick kickouts that Kildare employed against Louth. I think the whole squad seems fitter this year so I think we'll be able to cope with that. Just can't see us having the quality, especially on the bench, to get over them this time. But I did say that last time we played them in Croker.

Not too happy with our corner backs. Don't know if Curran is injured or what but I'd have him in the corner in front of Young who gets caught out far too easily. Mickey is going to have to curb his forays forward or we're going to be badly caught out on the break. Not gone on Keogan at centre back either but we'll see if he can be as good as he usually is in the corner.
    I think Tobin is a good choice to mark Bolton as he's going to be constantly tracking back.

One thing I presume the team is ready for is the quick kickouts that Kildare employed against Louth. I think the whole squad seems fitter this year so I think we'll be able to cope with that. Just can't see us having the quality, especially on the bench, to get over them this time. But I did say that last time we played them in Croker.

I'd have huge concerns about Burke at corner back. He's not a corner back IMO. Kildare could badly expose him.

Meath could do with a big game from Graham Reilly.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'd have huge concerns about Burke at corner back. He's not a corner back IMO. Kildare could badly expose him.

Meath could do with a big game from Graham Reilly.

Agree on both points, it's been far too long since biggy had a good game in a big match to be honest. Burke is a pure liablilty at corner back, theres times he looks like he just loses the flight of the ball and its a bit of a disadvantage at this level!

rpurfield wrote: »
    Agree on both points, it's been far too long since biggy had a good game in a big match to be honest. Burke is a pure liablilty at corner back, theres times he looks like he just loses the flight of the ball and its a bit of a disadvantage at this level!

That definitely showed in the Dublin game last year. I thought he got caught by the hop of the ball on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Anyone heading to the match on Sunday? Should be good support for them

Anyone heading to the match on Sunday? Should be good support for them

I'm not so sure. I think both games being shown on TV will effect the crowd.

I would be going if it wasn't on TV but with the Cavan game tomorrow it doesn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭qwert55

Can't see Meath getting within 5 points of Kildare. Jason normally got the better of Meath in championship football. This Meath team is a cheap imitation of the real Meath teams of the past.🇫🇷

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

qwert55 wrote: »
    Can't see Meath getting within 5 points of Kildare. Jason normally got the better of Meath in championship football. This Meath team is a cheap imitation of the real Meath teams of the past.🇫🇷

Welcome on board. Note the "EXIT" signs. :P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Bryan Menton plays left full back

Advertisement