Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Padraig Hughes named as ref for sunday. Happy enough with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Padraig Hughes named as ref for sunday. Happy enough with that

Happy with that too. Lets hope I still am after Sunday!

I don't like the draw at all this year. I'd hate to play Kildare again with them gunning for revenge so that's good. But if we beat or lose to Dublin we would likely play them in an AI semi if we got past the quarters.

Beating them would be epic but I couldn't live with myself if we lost to them in an AI semi final.

On the match itself I hope for a massive crowd and not 50-60k. Miss the days when Meath v Dublin could sell out Croker no matter what round it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I don't like the draw at all this year. I'd hate to play Kildare again with them gunning for revenge so that's good. But if we beat or lose to Dublin we would likely play them in an AI semi if we got past the quarters.

Beating them would be epic but I couldn't live with myself if we lost to them in an AI semi final.

On the match itself I hope for a massive crowd and not 50-60k. Miss the days when Meath v Dublin could sell out Croker no matter what round it was.

Likely meet Kildare in a semi? If Meath win on Sunday Kildare will either have Dublin or the Ulster loser in Rd 4 followed by the Ulster winner in the QF. If Meath lose they will have the Ulster loser in Rd 4 and Dublin or Ulster winner in the QF. There is no way they will those 2 rounds. If they do pass me the ketchup so I can eat my hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Yeah its extremley doubtful we will meet Kildare again this year. And even if we did i wouldnt be worried about them. We gave them a good lesson the last day so lets move on and just enjoy beating the dubs.
    Meath by 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭rpurfield

my understanding of the round 4 draw is that the losers of the finals cant play teams they have already this season. There was words to the effect of the round 4a being pre determined due to sligo playing galway already in either the rte or hoganstand report on the draws on monday. having said that it wont really matter because dublin havent played kildare yet so they probably will get them in round 4 :D
    edit: it was actually this article i read http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2014/0714/630590-kildare-face-tricky-trip-to-clare/

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Lads,

Anyone how the club leagues are sorted out this year.

Which takes preference if teams finish level on points, is it head to head or score difference?

If there have been walk overs given, does that take points difference or if the equation?

Thanks

If we beat the Dubs I think we can play Kildare in the quarters. EIther way Dublin if they lose on sunday will play a round for winner and if they beat them will play the ulster winner on our side meaning if we both win we'll play in an AI semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Lads,

Anyone how the club leagues are sorted out this year.

Which takes preference if teams finish level on points, is it head to head or score difference?

If there have been walk overs given, does that take points difference or if the equation?

Thanks

If 2 teams are level on points: head to head.

If the match between the 2 teams ended a draw: score difference.

If 3+ teams are level on points: score difference.

Walkovers generally mean score difference is disregarded and a playoff is run.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

If 2 teams are level on points: head to head.

If the match between the 2 teams ended a draw: score difference.

If 3+ teams are level on points: score difference.

Walkovers generally mean score difference is disregarded and a playoff is run.

Crab,

Thanks for the info.

League final to look forward to so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Any word on the team for Sunday?

Is our injury list still as extensive as it was before the Kildare game?

Hopefully we can have as close as possible to a full team, as with a full team I honestly think we could have a decent chance of winning on Sunday.

We have two comprehensive wins under our belt and the win against Kildare will no doubt be a confidence booster. The way Kildare managed to make the score respectable towards the end should be a kick up the backside for the team to put in a 70 minute performance which will be needed on Sunday.

Meath (Leinster SFC final v Dublin) - P O'Rourke; E Harrington, K Reilly, B Menton; P Harnan, D Keogan, D Tobin; B Meade, S O'Rourke; D Carroll, B McMahon, A Tormey; G Reilly, S Bray, M Newman.

Probably as good a team as we could have hoped for. Newman back in the forwards at the expense of McDonough.

Any thoughts on potential tactics or match ups which may be employed at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Meath (Leinster SFC final v Dublin) - P O'Rourke; E Harrington, K Reilly, B Menton; P Harnan, D Keogan, D Tobin; B Meade, S O'Rourke; D Carroll, B McMahon, A Tormey; G Reilly, S Bray, M Newman.

I'd expect Menton and Keoghan to switch. Besides that, a good team and I am getting more and more confident the closer we get to the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Hibbeler wrote: »

Probably as good a team as we could have hoped for. Newman back in the forwards at the expense of McDonough.

Any thoughts on potential tactics or match ups which may be employed at the weekend?

Beat me to it Hibbeler by about a second!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Obrieski wrote: »

I'd expect Menton and Keoghan to switch. Besides that, a good team and I am getting more and more confident the closer we get to the game!

I cant see it really Keoghans been excellent centre half. I'd honestly be more concerned about Harrington inside he needs to step up a bit on Sunday. We could also do with a big game from Biggy, he tends to go a bit awol in big games at times. Selection wise its what you'd expect, although maybe Dalton McDonagh will feel hard done by losing out after the Kildare game. Good man to have as a sub though

rpurfield wrote: »
    I cant see it really Keoghans been excellent centre half. I'd honestly be more concerned about Harrington inside he needs to step up a bit on Sunday. We could also do with a big game from Biggy, he tends to go a bit awol in big games at times. Selection wise its what you'd expect, although maybe Dalton McDonagh will feel hard done by losing out after the Kildare game. Good man to have as a sub though

TBH I'd rather have Harrington in there than some of the other options. The full back line named above is certainly stronger than the full back line that was named originally for the Kildare game imho. Agreed I think Keoghan will remain in CHB but I think we might possibly see one of the half forward line operate closer to midfield/half back line (Carrol maybe?) and Graham Reilly moreso in the half forwards with two men on the full forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Can't fu#king wait for the game tomorrow. These are the games Meath football is built on. I hope we give it a real go and show no fear against the Dubs.

Meath for Leinster

Hon the Royal!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Lads, I don't think we will win but it is Meath Dublin and the atmosphere and tension still should be great.

I think he has picked the best team possible considering the players available, there is a fair chance though that our midfield could be Menton and Flanagan come midway into the 2nd half.

Hopefully, we can stay toe to toe with them for most or all of the game, how we deal with their subs will be crucial.

I'm a little concerned seeing just how crap Kildare are and how we didn't put them well and truly away even though we were down players. Judging by tonight's game Kildare are mid to low ranking 2nd tier team and we worryingly let them back into it last time around. That type of 2nd half play would be suicide against Dublin, Mayo, Donegal etc and even Armagh etc would fancy their chances. Hopefully MOD and co have learned their lesson and it is a full 70 minutes from the lads for the rest of the year.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Lads, I don't think we will win but it is Meath Dublin and the atmosphere and tension still should be great.

I think he has picked the best team possible considering the players available, there is a fair chance though that our midfield could be Menton and Flanagan come midway into the 2nd half.

Hopefully, we can stay toe to toe with them for most or all of the game, how we deal with their subs will be crucial.

I'm a little concerned seeing just how crap Kildare are and how we didn't put them well and truly away even though we were down players. Judging by tonight's game Kildare are mid to low ranking 2nd tier team and we worryingly let them back into it last time around. That type of 2nd half play would be suicide against Dublin, Mayo, Donegal etc and even Armagh etc would fancy their chances. Hopefully MOD and co have learned their lesson and it is a full 70 minutes from the lads for the rest of the year.

I wouldn't be too worried about where Kildare are at all TBH, we've already crossed that bridge and all we should be worried about our own performance against the Dubs tomorrow and going forward after that! I believe it's quite a stretch to say that Kildare's performance today is any reflection on Meath. Totally agreed that we should have put the boot into them when we had the chance and we will need to improve upon that tomorrow.

More worrying imho is the head of steam Armagh are building up, whom we will most likely be playing should the worst happen and we do lose to Dublin. Two very good wins on the trot and I did fancy Roscommon to beat them.

But we will cross that bridge if we come to it. It's all about Dubs now!

COYBIG!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

That horrible thing called optimism is creeping up on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

That horrible thing called optimism is creeping up on me.

It's not horrible, it's the raw Riyal Celt bursting out of you. Embrace it, harness it and unleash pure bloody hell on any Jackeen that steps in your way tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hard luck today lads. Hopefully the heads are lifted for the Armagh match in two weeks.

What are the chances of it being fixed for Breffni?

Right what's done is done. Plenty that will be needed to improve upon for the Armagh game.

Lemlin I reckon it'll be a good possibility of a double header in breffni with Kildare playing Monaghan/Donegal. Be the ideal location imo. I prefer it to clones

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pegasusbridge

It was never going to be easy against a very strong dublin and they just showed they are a level above us. At least Meath never gave in and kept working hard right until the end. Armagh is going to be a tough battle as they will have a player in front of their full back line so it'll be hard for us to get good ball into Bray and Newman

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Right what's done is done. Plenty that will be needed to improve upon for the Armagh game.

Lemlin I reckon it'll be a good possibility of a double header in breffni with Kildare playing Monaghan/Donegal. Be the ideal location imo. I prefer it to clones

I can't see them having a double header in Breffni tbh. It only holds 30k at max capacity. You could have Kildare and Monaghan/Donegal in Breffni and Meath vs Armagh in Newry or Clones.

I'm hoping Meath will be in Breffni though.

The games are in two weeks are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Lemlin wrote: »
    I can't see them having a double header in Breffni tbh. It only holds 30k at max capacity. You could have Kildare and Monaghan/Donegal in Breffni and Meath vs Armagh in Newry or Clones.

Why can't they play a double header in Croke Pk?

Lemlin wrote: »

The Round 4A qualifiers are down as a double header in Tullamore next weekend so I wouldn't rule it out.

Yep Meath v Armagh is two weekends time.

I don't really mind about the venue myself. I hope it's not Clones as I don't think I've ever seen Meath win a game there. Newry or Cavan would be grand

Why can't they play a double header in Croke Pk?

They could do that of course. Last year Meath played Tyrone in round 4 as part of a triple header. But I would hope that they don't play the games in Croke park tbh. a better atmosphere in Newry/Cavan/Clones.

Like Lemlin said it might not be a double header at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Poor today lads. Very poor. Just not fit for this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Meath haven't had one decent Manager since Sean Boylan and his many sucesses and nothing good ever lasts forever.
    They just aren't of the same calibre as Sean.

Advertisement