Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Both Drumbaragh and Kilmainham of course were promoted from junior last year. However after 3 rounds of intermediate championship, Drumbaragh took a 16-point beating from Syddan (who played the whole second half with 14 men) last weekend and Kilmainham sit at the bottom of their group with 0 points and looking like one of the favourites for relegation imo.

League form to some degree should be treated as completely separate to championship form it can be misleading at best.

For this years intermediate championship the favourites would probably be Castletown, Rathoath and St Colmcilles. the winner will come from one of those three for me.

Kilmaimham were a better team 3/4 years ago IMO. I saw them last year in the junior final and they were poor enough. Has Newman featured for them lately?

Injuries, retirements and lads going abroad took their toll on them from what I understand. 3/4 years ago I actually thought they looked a better team than Kells, even though they were the junior side of the two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Lemlin wrote: »
    I wouldn't go by league in any county tbh. I've often seen the likes of Drumbaragh and Kilmaimham beat Kells in the league but if they played championship there would only be one result.
    Fair enough. But you would still expect a senior team (Walterstown), league or not, to beat an average junior team (Cortown). That was my point that Intermediate teams could hold their own against at least some senior teams.
    Perhaps the semi and final, which they walked, are clouding my memory. However, the first game was the only game they lost and in their other group games they didn't look under trouble. I missed the Ratoath game due to being away. Hurricane conditions wouldn't favour Kells though (you seem to be indicating they effected the result) as they have alot of players who like to run with the ball at pace. The Colmcilles game was also lost more due to their own complacency than anything Colmcilles did.

I also remember thinking Gaeil Colmcille were fairly average tbh for a team winning games so easily. Only Mattimoe stood out as county standard. Graham Geraghty obviously agreed in the final given the 'attention' he gave him!

They also went out in the first round of Leinster. How have Meath intermediate teams performed in it?
    Maybe Kells do like to run with it, but no team likes that more that Ratoath with the likes of McMahon, the Wallaces, O'Brien etc. Kells played with the wind in the first half and had Brian Hanlon kicking points from pretty much anywhere within the 45 (if I remember correctly, Mattimoe had a poor enough game). Then, they were able to swarm the defence in the second to limit Ratoath's scoring chances. The strong wind certainly helped them. Add to that, the fact that Ratoath were missing Eamonn Wallace and O'Brien went off pretty early on with an injury meant that it was a lot easier for Gaeil Colmcille than it could have been.

And let me reiterate my point, I'm not saying that the IFC in Meath is a strong grade (only the great Wolfe Tones team managed to win the Leinster IFC). But neither is the Meath SFC. The better IFC teams (Ratoath, St. Colmcille's, Castletown) would be more than able to compete with at least the poorer Senior teams (Oldcastle, Dunshaughlin, BHG etc.).

Poor performance by the hurlers in Trim today. Didn't come out of the blocks in the first half and were a goal down in the first minute.
    Their first touch was awful compared to Kildare's. Whereas Kildare could take the sliotar into possession immediately, our lads always needed a second or third touch which meant they were almost always surrounded by white jerseys. Could have been different had Clynch not missed the penalty in the second half which would have drawn us level. Caoimhín King was Meath's best player I think. Was the only one who could win clean ball and scored some inspirational points.
    Sick of losing semi finals at this stage. We always seem to lose when it really matters, be it league or Christy Ring.

If Cillian Farrell leaves as manager (again), the county board really need to get the finger out and get a new man in within the next month or so. It was the end of November by the time Farrell was reinstated as manager last year. We've got a good crop of young players coming through and this lip service payed to hurling won't help us improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭markboyable

fantastic turnout today

Fair enough. But you would still expect a senior team (Walterstown), league or not, to beat an average junior team (Cortown). That was my point that Intermediate teams could hold their own against at least some senior teams.

Maybe Kells do like to run with it, but no team likes that more that Ratoath with the likes of McMahon, the Wallaces, O'Brien etc. Kells played with the wind in the first half and had Brian Hanlon kicking points from pretty much anywhere within the 45 (if I remember correctly, Mattimoe had a poor enough game). Then, they were able to swarm the defence in the second to limit Ratoath's scoring chances. The strong wind certainly helped them. Add to that, the fact that Ratoath were missing Eamonn Wallace and O'Brien went off pretty early on with an injury meant that it was a lot easier for Gaeil Colmcille than it could have been.

And let me reiterate my point, I'm not saying that the IFC in Meath is a strong grade (only the great Wolfe Tones team managed to win the Leinster IFC). But neither is the Meath SFC. The better IFC teams (Ratoath, St. Colmcille's, Castletown) would be more than able to compete with at least the poorer Senior teams (Oldcastle, Dunshaughlin, BHG etc.).

Nothing would surprise me in league football tbh. Teams sometimes play games with a high number of regular starters missing.

Kells were missing Danny McGovern in the Ratoath game who would also be one of their strongest players. He was man of the match in the intermediate final and has played at underage levels for Meath.

You'd know more about league football in Meath than I would tbh so I'll accept your final point. My knowledge is mainly limited to the teams in North Meath.

What's your junior team like this year that bet Kildare? I'm hoping for a Meath Cavan final but not sure about our lads. It's a hugely experimental line-up from Hyland at junior level this year. Other years he used it to look at our wider senior panel but this year he's pretty much looking at all new players, probably because he tried so many in the league so knows what our senior panel offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Jesus I havent logged on in a week or more and ye all get the verbal runs ive never seen this thread have as many new posts!!Ive a few points to make

1. Lemlin for me the IFC is one of the hardest championships to get out of. Maybe it's because it took us five finals between I think 92 and 2000 to get out of it but I've always seen as really competitive, Castletown and Syddan are always knocking about in it and the Cilles have one of the best structures for underage in the county and produce a regular stream of good players but cant get out of it at all.

2. In terms of catching the Dubs it's gonna take each club upping the standards in terms of coaching in their underage. Weve done some serious work on making it uniform across the age groups, and its paying off really, with some of the teams moving up divisions from where we'd traditionally play in.

3. Bad times following Meath? my first game was in 90, the All Ireland semi against Donegal, my first full season was 91 so at 30 years of age I've been lucky to see it all in terms of winning things. Low points were the Dubs in 95 and Galway in 01. Best game was probably Kerry in 01 though.

4.Hard luck to the hurlers, maybe its time a bit more effort was put into funding and running hurling in Meath to raise the standard a bit more, I'm sure the hurlers train hard and deserve respect for it.

5. Something new, it's a load of rubbish having to wait till June 15 to play championship and be out again two weeks later, though on the plus side the SFC is pretty well on now

Dunboyne 9-25, Oldcastle 1-8.....

I know it's only the league but that's a ridiculous scoreline in a game between two senior teams. Dunboyne beat them by 16 in the championship not too long ago so it certainly isn't a case of an off day for Oldcastle. Are Oldcastle really that bad?

Im only pure itching to get into action next sunday at this stage, hopefully weve a big crowd down in carlow

rpurfield wrote: »
    Im only pure itching to get into action next sunday at this stage, hopefully weve a big crowd down in carlow
    Can't wait. I really don't see the reason in both teams being out so late. Why couldn't it have been this weekend?
    It should be an easy enough win and we're kind of damned either way. If we win easily, it's only Carlow. Struggle and the knives will be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Beating Kildare is imperative now from looking at the qualifier draw. Assuming we beat Carlow

Louth v Monaghan/Tyrone
    Cavan v Westmeath
    Carlow v Clare/Waterford
    Down v Leitrim

Theres some tough Ulster teams we could be drawn against in Round 2 if we don't beat the Lillies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

iDave wrote: »
    Beating Kildare is imperative now from looking at the qualifier draw. Assuming we beat Carlow

Louth v Monaghan/Tyrone
    Cavan v Westmeath
    Carlow v Clare/Waterford
    Down v Leitrim

Theres some tough Ulster teams we could be drawn against in Round 2 if we don't beat the Lillies.

Yea you'd want to avoid the draw. I think we will beat kildare though. I wouldn't read too much into their win over Louth. Croke park suits our running game and we will pose kildare problems.

Conor Gillespie sidelined for the championship. Yes you guessed it. Cruciate.

Oh FFS!

Just heard that there now. Heard he did it in training. Unfortunate.

What date is the Meath Kildare game? Is it a double header?

I expect I'll be making the trip up.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Lemlin wrote: »
    Just heard that there now. Heard he did it in training. Unfortunate.

What date is the Meath Kildare game? Is it a double header?

I expect I'll be making the trip up.

29th of June, double header with Dublin v Wexford AFAIK.

Was hoping to fly home for it myself but unfortunately I'll be moving house that weekend.

Sickened to hear about Gillespie, another injury is not what we needed at this point. Does anyone know anything about the status of Newman, O'Sullivan etc? I know Eamonn Wallace is out for the season as well

Sickened to hear about Gillespie, another injury is not what we needed at this point. Does anyone know anything about the status of Newman, O'Sullivan etc? I know Eamonn Wallace is out for the season as well
    Well Micko did mention (a few weeks back) that Wallace was the only long term injury, but as far as I know neither O'Sullivan or Dalton have featured in any challenge games since the league which would lead me to believe they're both gone for the season.
    Menton could be a doubt for Carlow as he supposedly got a hand injury. Eoghan Harrington is definitely out. Brian McMahon also broke his nose recently but should be OK to line out on Sunday. Haven't heard if Newman is back.

That'll teach me for being hopeful that our annual injury nightmare wasn't going to happen in 2014.

29th of June, double header with Dublin v Wexford AFAIK.

Was hoping to fly home for it myself but unfortunately I'll be moving house that weekend.

I hate the way Meath games are always double headers with Dublin. Means I'll have to drive in because the train is too crammed for my son.

Irish Rail really should be putting on more trains on match days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

Too many injuries it seems..

Fergal Lynch has summarised on Twitter

Out- Gillespie, Menton, Harrington, Wallace, Dalton and O'Sullivan

Doubts- K Reilly, Bray, McMahon and Newman

I hate the way Meath games are always double headers with Dublin.

+1
    Atmosphere will be ****e for it

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I hope some of those guys can be back for our next game after Carlow (assuming Kildare). Whatever without the Carlow match (no disrespect intended), we would be in a bad way if we had to play Kildare minus Kevin Reilly, Menton and Newman in particular
    +1
    Atmosphere will be ****e for it

I know there's been a lot of debate recently over whether or not leinster championship games should be played outside Croke Park. I agree that they should be but so long as the Dublin bandwagon is reeling in the cash I can't see Leinster council changing this in a hurry.

I think however that it might be a good idea to possibly allocate a section in Croke park for only one particular set of fans. So a section or two might be allocated to each of Kildare, Wexford and Meath/Carlow to keep some of the fans together. The rest of Croke park would be the usual free for all so that people would have a choice of if they would rather sit in better seats or with their county crowd.

I just think that a few thousand Meath fans could generate a better atmosphere in a group than all spread out. Plus this kind of thing could create a counter balance to the dubs on Hill 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

That list above cannot just be bad luck I'm thinking.

I hope some of those guys can be back for our next game after Carlow (assuming Kildare). Whatever without the Carlow match (no disrespect intended), we would be in a bad way if we had to play Kildare minus Kevin Reilly, Menton and Newman in particular

I know there's been a lot of debate recently over whether or not leinster championship games should be played outside Croke Park. I agree that they should be but so long as the Dublin bandwagon is reeling in the cash I can't see Leinster council changing this in a hurry.

I think however that it might be a good idea to possibly allocate a section in Croke park for only one particular set of fans. So a section or two might be allocated to each of Kildare, Wexford and Meath/Carlow to keep some of the fans together. The rest of Croke park would be the usual free for all so that people would have a choice of if they would rather sit in better seats or with their county crowd.

I just think that a few thousand Meath fans could generate a better atmosphere in a group than all spread out. Plus this kind of thing could create a counter balance to the dubs on Hill 16

itd be impossible to have whole blocks exclusively for each county, especially anyone in commuting distance of dublin, with a lot of dubs getting tickets through clubs they are members off down this way. plus add in people who get them direct from leinster council, ticketmaster or supervalu/centra.

apart from that its better craic been mixed around the place, probably it is lost a bit with the size of croke park but i wouldnt change it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

I really can't get over the bad luck that we have as regards injuries to key players in recent years, the thing is we can't afford to lose out on anyone as every position has very limited cover, at least Shane O'Rourke is back. Menton for midfield if he's fit??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Anyone know if our next game is on TV?

Just taking a gander through the new qualifier structure.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks as if it would actually be easier for us to make a quarter final by losing to Carlow on Sunday.

If we win, we'll be up against Kildare. Win that and we'll almost certainly lose to Dublin in the final meaning it'd be a round 4 game against the likes of Tyrone, Monaghan, Down, Cavan etc. If we lost to Kildare, the same teams would be there for us in round 2 and 3 with the likes of Kerry another provincial loser a possibility in the next round.

Whereas if we lose on Sunday, we'll have Waterford/Clare in round 1. Round 2 will likely consist of Waterford/Clare (whoever wins the replay and then loses to Kerry), Carlow (again), Roscommon and Armagh. Round 3 probably be these teams plus (most likely) Down, Cavan, Monaghan/Tyrone (delete a few as some would get knocked out in round 2). Round 4 would then be a provincial loser.

Now I'm not for a second saying we should lose on Sunday, but the backdoor route certainly seems a lot easier than going through Leinster.

Anyone know if our next game is on TV?
    The Carlow game isn't on RTE anyway.
    I'd assume (if we win) the Kildare game would be televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The Carlow game isn't on RTE anyway.
    I'd assume (if we win) the Kildare game would be televised.

Dublin game would surely be on ahead of it knowing RTE.

Just taking a gander through the new qualifier structure.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks as if it would actually be easier for us to make a quarter final by losing to Carlow on Sunday.

If we win, we'll be up against Kildare. Win that and we'll almost certainly lose to Dublin in the final meaning it'd be a round 4 game against the likes of Tyrone, Monaghan, Down, Cavan etc. If we lost to Kildare, the same teams would be there for us in round 2 and 3 with the likes of Kerry another provincial loser a possibility in the next round.

Whereas if we lose on Sunday, we'll have Waterford/Clare in round 1. Round 2 will likely consist of Waterford/Clare (whoever wins the replay and then loses to Kerry), Carlow (again), Roscommon and Armagh. Round 3 probably be these teams plus (most likely) Down, Cavan, Monaghan/Tyrone (delete a few as some would get knocked out in round 2). Round 4 would then be a provincial loser.

Now I'm not for a second saying we should lose on Sunday, but the backdoor route certainly seems a lot easier than going through Leinster.
    Absolute nonsense, so you would turn down a Leinster final with a crack at the dubs and a near full house at croker? Granted the dubs are at another level to everyone but I would never fear Meath playing them.

Round 3 qualifier or Leinster final. I know which I would choose.

risteard7 wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense, so you would turn down a Leinster final with a crack at the dubs and a near full house at croker?
    Read the last paragraph of the post of mine you quoted and you'll get your answer

• Advertisement

Read the last paragraph of the post of mine you quoted and you'll get your answer
    Reading the other three gives a different answer.

Advertisement