Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭rpurfield

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That won't work at Croke Park. With 80,000 odd people to get into the stadium as quickly as possible, they don't have time to be checking peoples ID, taking cash, as well as keeping track of what club sold what, as people are entering the ground. They don't even take cash at the Croke Park stiles. If you are buying a ticket on match day, you go to the ticket office on the NCR, or the mobile van on Clonliffe Rd. You don't buy 'em at Croker itself.

they check the ID's already at the gate plus have whatever amount of €10 notes they need to hand back and it's two different sets of stewards that do it, they check the id about 30 foot from the stiles then another couple of people do the scanning of the ticket outside the turnstiles and finally a third group actually in the stiles hand back the refund as you pass through!! admittedly it seemed to work quick but it also seemed like a lot of work too
    Your "answer" to a problem that doesnt exist is even more complicated than the way it is now.

just an observation im not losing big sleep over it now

I was listening to some podcasts today and there was one from off the ball last week with Tommy Dowd and Dermot Earley talking about the three games in 1997. I've always been convinced we left that All Ireland behind us that year with the suspensions and injuries going into the Offaly game, that team I reckon was streets ahead of Kerry and Mayo that year. It also got me thinking two things, 1 how many more All Ireland's would we have won if the back door was around in that period? and 2 which team was better the 87/88 winners or the 96/99 team?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭paul71

rpurfield wrote: »
    I was listening to some podcasts today and there was one from off the ball last week with Tommy Dowd and Dermot Earley talking about the three games in 1997. I've always been convinced we left that All Ireland behind us that year with the suspensions and injuries going into the Offaly game, that team I reckon was streets ahead of Kerry and Mayo that year. It also got me thinking two things, 1 how many more All Ireland's would we have won if the back door was around in that period? and 2 which team was better the 87/88 winners or the 96/99 team?

Cant remember who was missing for that Offaly game. Fay injured? McDermot suspended? amoung others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I think Martin O'Connell was injured. GG was suspended for pretending to kick a bed sheet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

http://hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=220042

Jason Ryan's really gone down in my estimation in the aftermath of the Kildare game with the moaning he's been doing. Always thought he was a very likeable person when he managed Wexford. Strange that he didn't mention the "challenge" that resulted in Brian McMahon going off with a head injury early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

http://hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=220042

Jason Ryan's really gone down in my estimation in the aftermath of the Kildare game with the moaning he's been doing. Always thought he was a very likeable person when he managed Wexford. Strange that he didn't mention the "challenge" that resulted in Brian McMahon going off with a head injury early on.

It's just silly for a manager to be coming out and saying things like that well over a week after the event. Should really be focusing on their Down game and ensuring that their defence doesn't fall apart like a wet paper bag again instead of commenting on a game done and dusted.

Poor form from him really. Like Hibbeler said its done and dusted. Result wont change. Kildare had a reputation for being very physical and fit the last 5 years so they should be able to handle us.

We don't have to worry about travelling to Semple if we draw with the Dubs. Phew!

paul71 wrote: »
    Cant remember who was missing for that Offaly game. Fay injured? McDermot suspended? amoung others.
    iDave wrote: »
    I think Martin O'Connell was injured. GG was suspended for pretending to kick a bed sheet.

I'm pretty sure Mark O'Reilly was out too but I'm not 100%.

• Advertisement

U21 hurlers play Kildare in the Leinster U21A semi final in Newbridge tonight at 7.30.
    Doesn't sound like they've had the greatest of preparation with the squad only assembled two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Getting the feeling we might just beat the Dubs

Hon the Royal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

Felexicon wrote: »
    Getting the feeling we might just beat the Dubs

Hon the Royal

Yeah, let' do a Brazil job on them :D

Easy win for Kildare against the U21 hurlers. 2-21 to 1-13 it finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

mattser wrote: »
    Yeah, let' do a Brazil job on them :D

What....ya mean lose 1-7? :eek:

Works for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

rpurfield wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Mark O'Reilly was out too but I'm not 100%.

O'Reilly suspended,
    Fay(unjustly) suspended,
    Graham Geraghty suspended for a month(for walking by a Kildare man and touching him with his knee after being fouled and not getting a free, ridiculous!)
    Martin O'Connell injured just befor the game

Full back line of Curtis, Enda McManus & Ned Kearney(who never played in the full back line in his life!)

One of the most frustrating days ever in Meath football, Brenfan Rrilly kicked 9 points (7 from play I think!) he was immense!

This is class :pac:
    I especially like the toilet roll part ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭corny

He could at least try and fake a Meath accent;)

corny wrote: »

He's from Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

He's from Meath

Yeah, I actually know him. He's from Ashbourne.

• Advertisement

Define "Meath accent".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭paul71

That is a Meath accent, one of about 5 that I can identify.

Popped in to the Kildare thread to see what the reaction was to the Down win. Turns out they are actually a better team than Meath now and if they played tomorrow Kildare would beat us.

Short memories down that way obviously

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭Deano7

What's the predictions for Sunday lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Popped in to the Kildare thread to see what the reaction was to the Down win. Turns out they are actually a better team than Meath now and if they played tomorrow Kildare would beat us.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Deano7 wrote: »
    What's the predictions for Sunday lads?

I expect Meath to put up a good showing. The bench cost ye last year but you seem to have better depth this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think that is brilliant. Totally blows that 'Jimmys winning matches' loada shyte outa the water.

Challenge accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Well as far as I can make out from the football championship thread, we won't be able to face them in the 4th round qualifier (assuming Kildare beat Clare of course - big ask for them), making the semi final the earliest we can meet again.

I for one am so relieved that this is the case because man for man Kildare have the better team apparently :pac:

Bring on the Dubs next weekend is all I can say!

• Advertisement

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Well as far as I can make out from the football championship thread, we won't be able to face them in the 4th round qualifier (assuming Kildare beat Clare of course - big ask for them), making the semi final the earliest we can meet again.

I for one am so relieved that this is the case because man for man Kildare have the better team apparently :pac:

Bring on the Dubs next weekend is all I can say!

They can get the dubs though ;)

Advertisement