Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Dalton McDonagh comes in at half forward. Shane O'Rourke to midfield and Mickey Burke ro the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Is Young and Burke injured?? I'm slightly happier with that full back line with Harrington and Menton than I was before it has to be said

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Should be hosed by now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Bring on Wexford :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Hon the Royal. Got a bit complacent in the second half and couldn't turn it back on.

Bring on the Dubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

We haven't a hope against Dublin unless the Meath team and their defence especially wakens up and improves their fitness,speed and alertness.
    They gave Kildare far too much space in the last twenty minutes.
    Dublin will annihilate them unless they have tight man to man marking.
    I saw them stupidly back passing the ball on several occassions in defence instead of clearing the ball with long clearance passes forward and losing the possession of the ball to Kildare which resulted in several easy, soft points for Kildare.

On many occassions when the ball went past midfield and was passed to the forwards, instead of catching the ball it was palmed down and the Kildare team picked up a lot of breaking ball.

Lots of poor concentration in defence and midfield and too many squandered scoring chances.
    It looked like Kildare could even beat us in the last ten minutes before the injury time commenced.
    Dublin will run through the Meath defence in the Leinster Final unless they tighten up and allow the forwards very little space, otherwise I can see us being beaten by five to six points.
    I cannot see Wexford putting up much of a challenge against the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

RTE analysis gave no credit to a depleted Meath team who came to croke park and beat a Kildare team that everyone seemed to fancy.

Before the game kildare were a "good team with a good young full forward line"
    After the game Meath "are not a good team"

Now Meath aren't a top 4 or 5 team but they are a good team. Disgraceful analysis.
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I couldnt care less what any of the pundits say about us, the more were written off the better. Theres still a bit of work to be done to improve but were missing some very good players as well so to go out and play like that today and win was brilliant. the dubs will be another level again but thats what we want.

hopefully the injuries from today arent serious and mickey newman will be fit for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

risteard7 wrote: »
    RTE analysis gave no credit to a depleted Meath team who came to croke park and beat a Kildare team that everyone seemed to fancy.

Before the game kildare were a "good team with a good young full forward line"
    After the game Meath "are not a good team"

Now Meath aren't a top 4 or 5 team but they are a good team. Disgraceful analysis.

<snip>

<snip>

I didn't see the post match analysis but I wouldn't get too hung up on it. I thought the same re the half time analysis. Too much emphasis on what Kildare had gotten wrong tactically rather than what Meath got right. It was the same last year when Cavan beat Armagh. No credit given to Cavan, just an attack on Grimley and his tactics.

Regarding the Meath performance, O'Dowd must take the plaudits because Meath have come on in leaps and bounds. Division 2 football seems to have brought the team on no end.

I have to hold my hands up re Damien Carroll. A few on here last year told me to give him more time and they were right. He had a great game.

Alot of the emphasis will be on how Meath tempered off towards the end but I saw the same yesterday with Cavan 7 points up against Westmeath with 13 minutes left only to allow them back in. It's difficult for young teams to close out games and its something they will learn with time.

Huge positives for Meath today. Ye made the last 12 last year and will again this year so ye would have to hope to make at least the quarters if not the semis given that performance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Good/Very good performance for about 45 minutes. Lost our way towards the end but still managed to stay 4 or 5 points ahead at all times.

Bray was phenomenal (apart from being too selfish with his goal chance). Amazingly, McGrillen was fouling him constantly throughout the first half yet the referee did nothing. Yet every time Kevin Reilly got anywhere his man at the other end, a free was given against him. Tormey once again was outstanding (our best player so far this season in my opinion) and seems to be a good backup free taker if Mickey is out. Carroll was also fantastic.

While it's understandable that we took the foot off the gas a little when 12 points up, it did worry me that we were completely cleaned out in the middle of the field for the last 20 minutes. Every time the ball broke, Kildare seemed to have 3 or 4 there to pick it up.

But we got the comfortable enough win in the end. Despite what the pundits say, we played well and Micko got his tactics spot on to stifle Kildare. Onto Dublin in 3 weeks. We'll get goal chances that day and we'll have to convert them all this time to get a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Delighted with the win today. Yea I would have preferred if we kept up the momentum for the 70mins, but we got the win we so badly wanted despite the injuries. Great to have a Leinster final to look forward to. Let's hope we get Newman etc back and don't loose any more bodies to injury. Any word on Kevin Reilly?

Well Reilly himself said it was an "impact injury" so hopefully not yet another cruciate nightmare.

One thing I was disappointed with in regards to our fans, was the (albeit a relatively small number of them) "Olés" in the last minute or so of injury time. I really thought we had learned our lesson in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭paul71

Lemin, I think I was the one who said last year Carroll needed a chance, he is a gifted footballer who needs experience. (Still think he needs to gain half a stone in the gym).

Interesting role played by Burke when he came in, hopefully O'Dowd has given up on the Idea of him as a corner back and sees in operating in the kind of role Seamus Kenny had a few years back. I am worried about Shane O'Rourke fading in last quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭paul71

Well Reilly himself said it was an "impact injury" so hopefully not yet another cruciate nightmare.

One thing I was disappointed with in regards to our fans, was the (albeit a relatively small number of them) "Olés" in the last minute or so of injury time. I really thought we had learned our lesson in that regard.

Kerry 2001 I hated that on that day and hated it today!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Yeah there was couple around where we were sitting started that craic as well. They were soon told to sit down and keep stum.

Hard to know if we ran out of steam in the second half or just lost momentum and couldn't get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bloody well done you lot. 'Nowt like a Dubs v Meath Leinster Final to get the blood flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

We had a good few chances to score a few more goals in the first half but need to take them. Good first half performance, second half was poor except for the the first few minutes. Overall I think we deserved the victory. Well earned victory too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Great win for those of us on the Kildare border. I thought that was the worst 45/50 minutes I've seen from any Kildare team. That said, a win is a win, and we were impressive at times.

What came after was a sign of what we're up against in the final, and to be honest I think we're in for a hiding. Our midfield is not even average, and nobody is able to get to grips with the Cluxton factor.

He picks out his man at 15m or 50m and inevitably a score results. I think it's an indictment on other counties that none of them can get a handle on it. Plus they have another county on the bench.

The Meath that stopped the rot in '86 and in the nineties had a mix of talent and, ahem , no prisoners taken, let's say. We're short one of them now I'm afraid.

Anyway, for now, well done to the lads yesterday. Great feeling to walk Main. St. Maynooth in the green and gold

Yeah there was couple around where we were sitting started that craic as well. They were soon told to sit down and keep stum.

Hard to know if we ran out of steam in the second half or just lost momentum and couldn't get it back.

I think we ran out of steam really, we played with some pace and intensity on a scorcher of a day and with some of the lads coming off long lay off before this year, it wouldve been a factor. as well as that going 11 or 12 points up with 20 to go i think the lads switched off a bit too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

MODs best moment so far beating a tier 2 team in championship, comprehensively.
    My concern going into it was squad limitations due to injuries but if anything we showed decent strength in depth.
    Still not Dublins standard but looking forward to giving them a good go of it in 3 weeks.
    The comeback for Kildare was disappointing, I was hoping to put them to the sword. I was getting flashbacks of Wexford 08 at times but we did well to close it out. Don't think they got below 5 points of us. Its an unusual situation to be in, 12 points up with 25 mins to go when you go into it as an underdog so I wont get to worked up about letting them get closer. But its imperative we put in a 72 min display against Dublin. All too often we go missing for long periods. Tyrone and Dublin both capitalised on that last year.
    As for the 'oles' we're hardly the only ones that do it. Monaghan fans did it to us in a Div 3 final ffs.

Just looking at the qualifiers we cant escape that dodgy side with all the Ulster teams in it. Leinster losers will still play on the B side for Rd 4. Likely emergers could be anyone from a group of Tyrone, Monaghan, Armagh, Cavan and Down.

Overall happy man today. COYBIG

• Advertisement

paul71 wrote: »
    Lemin, I think I was the one who said last year Carroll needed a chance, he is a gifted footballer who needs experience. (Still think he needs to gain half a stone in the gym).

Interesting role played by Burke when he came in, hopefully O'Dowd has given up on the Idea of him as a corner back and sees in operating in the kind of role Seamus Kenny had a few years back. I am worried about Shane O'Rourke fading in last quarter.

I think you may have been and also Hammer Archer said the same iirc. I just hope that some of this team can provide consistent performances now unlike many of those that broke through vs Kildare in 2011. I remember seeing Alan Forde that day and thinking he was a star of the future and he's barely been seen since. Carroll also had a poor season last year but now appears to be back playing well.

When do tickets go on sale for the final? Will they be €30 or €25? I'll definitely make the trip for it. Cavan play in two weeks on the weekend of the 12th so the two teams won't clash in the one weekend this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Lemlin wrote: »
    <snip>
    When do tickets go on sale for the final? Will they be €30 or €25? I'll definitely make the trip for it. Cavan play in two weeks on the weekend of the 12th so the two teams won't clash in the one weekend this time.
    tis a measley €35 universally - so hideous behind goals tickets or proper Hogan or Cusack. (still an insane carry on to have crap tickets and decent seats the same price)
    Already on sale here:
    https://secure.tickets.ie/Booking/EventTickets/18782/leinster-sfc-final-dublin-v-meath-croke-park-20-July-2014

oh, and €20 for the hill

tis a measley €35 universally - so hideous behind goals tickets or proper Hogan or Cusack. (still an insane carry on to have crap tickets and decent seats the same price)
    Already on sale here:
    https://secure.tickets.ie/Booking/EventTickets/18782/leinster-sfc-final-dublin-v-meath-croke-park-20-July-2014

oh, and €20 for the hill

We'll have the 4 year old so we'll be heading to the family section which is the Cusack iirc. So I'm looking at €75 for two adults and a child?

Already on sale here:

oh, and €20 for the hill

slightly off the point but whats the craic with the concession tickets getting a refund on the gate, surely it'd be easier to sell them at the lower price off the bat rather than having to have tens of thousands of €10 notes on hand and a half dozen folk checkin ID's

Lemlin wrote: »
    I think you may have been and also Hammer Archer said the same iirc. I just hope that some of this team can provide consistent performances now unlike many of those that broke through vs Kildare in 2011. I remember seeing Alan Forde that day and thinking he was a star of the future and he's barely been seen since. Carroll also had a poor season last year but now appears to be back playing well.
    Nah I can't claim I said that :pac:
    I hadn't been convinced about him. He never really reached the heights of Kildare 2012 until yesterday. I hope he can keep that level of performance for the final.

Think Forde has been plagued by injuries since last year and hasn't even made it back as a regular starter for O'Mahony's yet. Pity as he would have added yet more pace to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

rpurfield wrote: »
    slightly off the point but whats the craic with the concession tickets getting a refund on the gate, surely it'd be easier to sell them at the lower price off the bat rather than having to have tens of thousands of €10 notes on hand and a half dozen folk checkin ID's

I'd have thought its very simple, to prevent everyone from just going ahead and buying concession tickets. They need proof that you are a student/OAP, and if you bought your tickets online/in the shop, they'd have no way of knowing if you were eligable.

I think its a very smart system to be honest.

I'd have thought its very simple, to prevent everyone from just going ahead and buying concession tickets. They need proof that you are a student/OAP, and if you bought your tickets online/in the shop, they'd have no way of knowing if you were eligable.

I think its a very smart system to be honest.

you could still produce ID at the time of buying the ticket if you dont buy online, and spot check them then at the stiles if you dont have ID on the day you cough up the difference and the club selling them in the wrong has an allocation reduced. obviously that would mean you couldnt buy discount tickets online though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

you could still produce ID at the time of buying the ticket if you dont buy online, and spot check them then at the stiles if you dont have ID on the day you cough up the difference and the club selling them in the wrong has an allocation reduced. obviously that would mean you couldnt buy discount tickets online though

That won't work at Croke Park. With 80,000 odd people to get into the stadium as quickly as possible, they don't have time to be checking peoples ID, taking cash, as well as keeping track of what club sold what, as people are entering the ground. They don't even take cash at the Croke Park stiles. If you are buying a ticket on match day, you go to the ticket office on the NCR, or the mobile van on Clonliffe Rd. You don't buy 'em at Croker itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Your "answer" to a problem that doesnt exist is even more complicated than the way it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Just wondering if there is anywhere I can view the game besides RTE player? Can't find anything on Youtube as of yet!

Advertisement