Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

iDave wrote: »
    Beating Kildare is imperative now from looking at the qualifier draw. Assuming we beat Carlow

Louth v Monaghan/Tyrone
    Cavan v Westmeath
    Carlow v Clare/Waterford
    Down v Leitrim

Theres some tough Ulster teams we could be drawn against in Round 2 if we don't beat the Lillies.
    Yea the draw is best avoided. I don't think Clare or Waterford will be too bothered whoever looses. It's better than a drubbing against Kerry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

risteard7 wrote: »
    Reading the other three gives a different answer.
    How do you figure that? I never said anything about wanting to lose on Sunday. In fact, I explicitly said the exact opposite. All I said was it would probably be an easier route to the quarter finals if we did.

Anyway, lots of players moving stateside for the summer means there's five changes on the junior team for tonight's semi final against Longford.
    Meath (JFC v Longford) - David Quirke (Navan O'Mahonys); Nicky Judge (Ballinabrackey), Barry McConnon (Syddan), Diarmuid Rogers (Navan O'Mahonys); Ross Geraghty (Navan O'Mahonys), Cormac Rowe (Syddan), Oisin Kiernan (St Brigid's); James Toher (Trim), Kevin Traynor (Syddan); Bobby O'Brien (Ratoath), Ben Brennan (St Colmcilles), Chris O'Connor (Ballinabrackey); James McEntee (Curraha), Stephen Crosby (Drumconrath), Anthony Burke (Duleek/Bellewstown).

Subs - Liam Hogan (Curraha), Conor Smyth (St Ultans), Harry Newman (Kilmainham), Ross Blaney (Castletown), Daire Rowe (Syddan), Adam Gannon (Ballivor), Keith Keoghan (Ballivor).

Juniors lost in Longford tonight 2-18 to 2-12. Obviously the squad wasn't deep enough to cope with losing those 5 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Juniors lost in Longford tonight 2-18 to 2-12. Obviously the squad wasn't deep enough to cope with losing those 5 players.

Longford are a decent team afaik though. They made the final last year. They beat a good Cavan team in the semi, probably a far better team than this year's Cavan junior team.

I was hoping ye would win and the final would be in Tailteann. Nice handy drive up the M3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I dont really see much point in the junior team, I hear the excuse of "good way for bringing young players through" but I really dont see it. Will a match or 2 against Longford or Cavan juniors really be what makes or breaks a promising footballers career? Will it f**k. A lot of the lads barely train, some who played last night hadnt trained whatsoever.

I know some players play for the juniors and later play on the seniors, but in all the cases I've seen, those players were always going to play senior anyway, whether they played junior or not.

We should just scrap our team and concentrate the little money spent on it on minor or U21 football/hurling. Dublin and all of Ulster bar Cavan seem to be going well without any junior teams.

• Advertisement

I dont really see much point in the junior team, I hear the excuse of "good way for bringing young players through" but I really dont see it. Will a match or 2 against Longford or Cavan juniors really be what makes or breaks a promising footballers career? Will it f**k. A lot of the lads barely train, some who played last night hadnt trained whatsoever.

I know some players play for the juniors and later play on the seniors, but in all the cases I've seen, those players were always going to play senior anyway, whether they played junior or not.

We should just scrap our team and concentrate the little money spent on it on minor or U21 football/hurling. Dublin and all of Ulster bar Cavan seem to be going well without any junior teams.

I doubt there's very much spent on the junior team to be honest. It's a nice way of getting a look at an extended panel of players who may not feature in management's plans.

There's nothing like a competitive game to see how lads fare.

Several of Cavan's starting 15 last weekend would have started off playing for the juniors in Cavan. I know Mickey Newman also played for Meath juniors for a period.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Just out of interest, do any of you guys know the general age profile of the junior team? I see a couple of very young as in just out of minor young guys on the squad. And I'm sure a few more are still under 21

Surely there are a few of those who we will see in the senior shirt in a few years

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Just out of interest, do any of you guys know the general age profile of the junior team? I see a couple of very young as in just out of minor young guys on the squad. And I'm sure a few more are still under 21

Surely there are a few of those who we will see in the senior shirt in a few years

three of the 2011 SFC all won JFC just before that, two were young lads but one was older (Bastic) I think it helped develop the players. I think later on in the competition games get competitive, early on though some lads don't care too much IMHO, I'd agree with Lemlin on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I assume the rule is still in about us not playing lads that played senior club last year? that needs scrapping, if it was truly a second team it would also benefit the fringe players of the senior team then

rpurfield wrote: »
    I assume the rule is still in about us not playing lads that played senior club last year? that needs scrapping, if it was truly a second team it would also benefit the fringe players of the senior team then

The only rule I know is that anyone who played a senior intercounty championship game the year before cannot play junior.

It only applies re the year before though. For example, Mickey Lyng played for Cavan on Wednesday and would have played in previous years to last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Junior is useful if you use it right. Use it to blood some young talent, a mix between the best u21s and lads on the edge of the senior panel. it has it's uses and very little money is spent on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Lemlin wrote: »
    The only rule I know is that anyone who played a senior intercounty championship game the year before cannot play junior.

It only applies re the year before though. For example, Mickey Lyng played for Cavan on Wednesday and would have played in previous years to last year.

Is it not if you've played senior club championship the year previous also?

Is it not if you've played senior club championship the year previous also?

Nope. Chris Conroy, Fergal Smith, Philly Tinnelly, James Farrelly and Lyng from the Cavan panel all played senior club championship last year and are playing for Cavan juniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Nope. Chris Conroy, Fergal Smith, Philly Tinnelly, James Farrelly and Lyng from the Cavan panel all played senior club championship last year and are playing for Cavan juniors.

But thats Cavan, Meath follow a different set of rules?

I know the Louth Junior team can have senior club players involved.... But I don't think that is the case in Meath.

Again, open to correction, but this used to be the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

But thats Cavan, Meath follow a different set of rules?

I know the Louth Junior team can have senior club players involved.... But I don't think that is the case in Meath.

Again, open to correction, but this used to be the rule.

It's different for each county. Kildare were allowed to select senior club players when they reached the All Ireland in 2010. Since then we can only select junior and intermediate club players. Players from senior clubs are eligible if they have not played club championship in the previous two years. Dermot Earley lined out for our juniors in 2012 having been out injured for the 2010 and 2011 club championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

So what are peoples opinions on the game v Carlow tomorrow? The team selected looks fairly strong to me with Shane O'Rourke and Brian Meade in midfield and debuts for Caolan Young and Bryan Mc Mahon. You would feel that despite our injury worries we should still get over the line tomorrow fingers crossed.

Then looking ahead what do we think would be a good year for Meath football? I see O'Dowd has said that he want's a quarter final apparance and I myself would feel that this should be our target this year. We've been there or there abouts getting to leinster final then losing in last round of qualifiers for the last couple of years. An all-ireland quarterfinal is the next logical progression

We should get through OK. Surprised to see Young starting. I thought he was a weak link at corner back during the league. Would much rather see Curran starting there.

I think we need to make the Leinster final and a quarter final for the year to be a success, even with the injuries we have had.

Carlow finished bottom of Division 4 I heard on Newstalk this evening and Brendan Murphy isn't involved.

I expect an easy win for Meath. Hopefully a high score to get the confidence going ahead of Kildare.

Will be good to see Shane O'Rourke back in championship football.

Carlow finished bottom of Division 4 I heard on Newstalk this evening and Brendan Murphy isn't involved.

I expect an easy win for Meath. Hopefully a high score to get the confidence going ahead of Kildare.

Will be good to see Shane O'Rourke back in championship football.
    No Carlow fan I've seen (and that's only been a few) has said they've any hope. A lot of them have put a fair bit on Meath to beat the handicap.

But we just very rarely hammer teams by a massive amount recently. I still remember us managing to beat Kilkenny by just 7 points in the O'Byrne Shield. Kil-feckin-kenny.
    Anyhow, I'd be more than happy with a single digit win and no more injuries.

Another Meath team in action tomorrow. The ladies' U21 side play in the final of the Aisling McGinn Cup final against Dublin in Clane tomorrow at 2pm.
    Best of luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Another Meath team in action tomorrow. The ladies' U21 side play in the final of the Aisling McGinn Cup final against Dublin in Clane tomorrow at 2pm.
    Best of luck to them.

That's a joke putting the ladies on tomorrow. A lot of them would like to support the seniors I'm sure and it's not fair on their family and friends who might want to go to both. Bad planning and should have been played tonight.

Could've been played in Carlow before the seniors as well surely. It's less than an hour from Clane.

Christ it's been far too long to wait for our first championship game.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Does anyone know of a reliable streaming (paid)website for the game? It's not on GAAgo! Any advise welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Game as good as over at half time. Meath 3-6 Carlow 0-2

Keoghan off with an injury. Hopefully only a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well that was a pointless run out for the team. Nice day out in the sun though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭blowitupref

More Meath goals than Carlow points. FT Carlow 0-6 Meath 7-13.

More Meath goals than Carlow points. FT Carlow 0-6 Meath 7-13.

Haha. Didn't I tell yas lads. What did Newman score?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Haha. Didn't I tell yas lads. What did Newman score?

3 goals anyway 1 peno. Tagged a couple of points as well. Missed 2 easy frees though. Brian McMahon had a great game at center forward. Graham Reilly was poor enough again

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    3 goals anyway 1 peno. Tagged a couple of points as well. Missed 2 easy frees though. Brian McMahon had a great game at center forward. Graham Reilly was poor enough again
    Had his usual ball into the keeper's hands but got lucky and ended up in the net.

Poor start from the team but got into it in the end. Carlow were atrocious. We got better challenges in the challenge games over the last month.
    Though luckily, Kildare didn't exactly have much of a challenge against Louth so both teams will be going into the game relatively cold. Hopefully Keoghan's injury isn't serious.

Advertisement