Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I dont remember 96 or 99, remember 2001 though and all the build up to the Galway game.

Other than that, beating the Dubs in 2010 has been the highlight. Bit better on the hurling front, was there when the hurlers won the Nicky Rackard, and our minors winning the All Ireland B in 2011.

I was also there against Louth in the Leinster Final of 2010 when big Joe caught the ball on the 45, soloed through the Louth defence and planted a piledriver into the top right corner from the 21, winning the match and sending those Louth heathens back into the abyss.

(Least thats how I remember it)
    Not too much older, but thankfully I have memories of 1996 and even clearer ones of 1999. It was a great time to be in a school on the Meath/Dublin border :pac:
    But I do sometimes wish I was born maybe 10 years earlier. I feel I would have appreciated the successes I did witness more had I been a little older. Also, I would have seen the four game saga in 1991. The stories the auld fella used to tell me about them always made me jealous.

I was away for the Rackard final. I've only ever seen the hurlers lose 3 Christy Ring semi finals and a league final :( Maybe I should stay away for the semi final in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Good piece yesterday on LMFM with Jack Quinn/Terry Kearns interview re. 1967. . Yea, I'm that old. Is there any footage of our trip to Australia after that ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

So its the Lillysh1tes in the Christy Ring semi. Enjoy beating them in any code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

We've won after extra time in the last 2 meetings with Kildare, hope that run continues now.

I'd be worried that Kildare have been playing week in week out for four weeks. They may be slightly tired alright but the fact they went all the way up to Derry and hammered them will give them a lot of confidence while our lads will be without a game for three weeks.

I really hope we make the step up to the final this year. This is our third semi final in a row. I don't think any team has been as consistent as us in that time. Even teams that have won it have gone on to do poorly in the following seasons. I hope there's a big crowd at it and the county board do some promotion. The footballers aren't out for another two weeks so no Meath fan really has any excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭markboyable

i might go up to this how much is it into a christy ring game?

i might go up to this how much is it into a christy ring game?
    Not entirely sure to be honest. I wouldn't say it'd be more than a tenner.

Junior footballers play Wicklow in Aughrim at 7.30pm in the Leinster quarter final on Wednesday.
    Only 7 teams in the Leinster JFC this year.

Whats the story with Kevin Reilly and Stephen Bray injury wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Junior footballers play Wicklow in Aughrim at 7.30pm in the Leinster quarter final on Wednesday.
    Only 7 teams in the Leinster JFC this year.

Are Cavan entering it again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Lemlin wrote: »
    Are Cavan entering it again?

They are playing Wexford in Gorey at half 7 on Thursday. Louth v Kildare is the other first round game. Longford are the 7th team entered. They will play the winners of the Wicklow v Meath game.

iDave wrote: »
    Whats the story with Kevin Reilly and Stephen Bray injury wise?
    I hope it was just a case of wrapping them in cotton wool.
    I read Micko's interview in last week's Chronicle which seems to suggest that Eamonn Wallace is our only long term injury. If that's true, it would also suggest that Cillian O'Sullivan and Davy Dalton are both fit again. Great news if that's the case.

Team named for the JFC game against Wicklow. Chris O'Connor and Stephen Crosby will be familiar to followers of the senior team.
    Meath (JFC v Wicklow) - David Quirke (Navan O Mahony's); Nicky Judge (Ballinabrackey), Barry McConnon (Syddan), David Ralaigh (Ballivor); Ross Geraghty (Navan O Mahony's), Conor McGill (Ratoath), Oisin Kieran (St. Brigid's); Neil Shortall (Curraha), Ciaran Gillespie (Summerhill); James Toher (Trim), Ben Brennan (St. Colmcille's), Chris O'Connor (Ballinabrackey, captain); Kevin Ross (Castletown), Stephen Crosby (Drumconrath), Anthony Burke (Duleek Bellewstown).

Subs - Liam Hogan (Curraha), James McEntee (Curraha), Kevin Traynor (Syddan), Bobby O'Brien (Ratoath), Ross Blaney (Castletown), Keith Keogan (Ballivor), Cormac Rowe (Syddan), Conor Smith (St. Ultan's), Harry Newman (Kilmainham).

From the Meath GAA Facebook.

Wow
    GREAT TO SEE POSITIVE MEADIA...PRESS LIKE TO SUPPORT OUR HURLERS.The Meath Chronicle is urging all Meath GAA supporters to get behind the Meath team for the forthcoming Christy Ring Cup semi-final against Kildare at Trim on this Saturday 31st May, 2.30.
    Contrast Meath’s forunes to that of the 2013 champions Down, the Mournemen will be involved in a relegation play-off with Armagh for the right to play in the Christy Ring Cup in 2015.
    When the Meath players run out on to the pitch at Trim on Saturday week, it would be a tremendous boost for all involved with the team, if there is a big crowd of flag-waving supporters to welcome them on to the pitch and who are also willing to get behind the team for the duration of the game.
    Imagine if there was 1,000 Meath supporters at the game - that would be fairly intimidating for the opposition, especially if it is a tight game going into the closing stages.
    Imagine the opposition taking a sideline only two yards away from the fanatical Meath supporters - okay you need to let your imagination work a bit of overtime for that one!
    But it’s something that could become a reality if enough GAA men and women in Meath make an effort to get to Trim on Saturday 31st May.
    The facilities in Trim are good with an excellent clubhouse and easy access to refreshments on the day. And a large turn-out of support would significantly boost the prospects of a Royal County victory.
    Unfortunately, the reality for a quintet of Leinster hurling counties - Meath, Louth, Longford, Wicklow and Kildare is somehwat different to the other high-profile counties - Kilkenny, Wexford, Dublin, Offaly, Laois, Carlow and Westmeath.
    The low-profile quintet don’t count in the hierarchy of hurling, probably safe to suggest also that Laois, Carlow and Westmeath aren’t too important in the overall scheme either. The 'unfamous five’ don’t even play in the Leinster SHC while Antrim, London and Galway do.
    The Christy Ring Cup semi-final is an excellent opportunity for the stalwart GAA supporters in Meath to give the county hurling team a boost. And a big crowd and a few green and gold flags is all it takes.
    And those of you who have not attended a Meath inter-county hurling game will be pleasantly surprised. The standard of hurling outside of the elite circle is good, it is competitive and it is entertaining.
    For starters, all the hurling clubs
    need to make certain that they get a group of supporters to the game. Then the football clubs need to do the same. A combined effort will turn Trim into a green and gold fortress for the day - surely it’s worth an effort, even as a once-off, to boost the team in what will be Meath’s last home game of the year. It’s a high-profile game, a championship game with a place in the final at Croke Park a week later as the prize.
    The stalwarts will be there - people like Brian Flynn and John Heavey from Kildalkey, Michael Dempsey from Trim, Patsy McGovern from Kilmessan and a few other stalwarts from clubs like Boardsmill, Rathmolyon, Donaghmore/Ashbourne and Kiltale, plus a few others.
    A few weeks ago the Meath minor hurlers gave a battling performance in the Leinster MHC second round against Wexford at Pairc Táilteann - they were narrowly beaten. The players would probably have benefited from better support?
    Saturday week is an opportunity to make amends.
    This year can still be successful for the hurlers - they have already won the Kehoe Cup by defeating Kildare in the decider at Newbridge last February.
    Meath missed out on promotion from the NHL Div 2B after making a poor start with a disappointing defeat against Wicklow, but they dethroned the 2013 champions (Down) in the first round of the Christy Ring Cup and are now only one game away from that Croke Park decider on Saturday 7th June.
    All this progress was achieved
    against a background of disrupted preparations.
    There was a furore over a number of issues between the players and the Co Board in the days before the game against Down.
    Travel expenses was one issue.
    The non-availability of Mickey Burke was another.
    The trip to Mayo for the quarter-final saw the players travel in cars to Castlebar.
    At the last Co Board meeting it was stated - 'the problems with the hurlers are resolved or will be resolved at a meeting this week.”
    Time to stand up for the green and gold! Do you agree

Are they saying they want to be in the Leinster SHC. Not sure we are at that standard.
    Nice to have the ambition though.
    Lets hope its not just words and a real effort is made by the county board to turn us properly dual.

iDave wrote: »
    From the Meath GAA Facebook.

Wow

Are they saying they want to be in the Leinster SHC. Not sure we are at that standard.
    Nice to have the ambition though.
    Lets hope its not just words and a real effort is made by the county board to turn us properly dual.
    We used to be good enough. I remember us beating Laois in Navan and running Offaly close. We were also good enough to spend two consecutive seasons in division 1 of the hurling league playing the likes of Clare, Waterford and Limerick.
    I would say we would have acquitted ourselves well had we been in the preliminary round of this years Leinster championship and could have stayed up.

I'm trying to get as many people as I can to come to Trim on Saturday. Hopefully the weather is good as there's zero chance of a good turn out if it's pissing rain. Glad the chronicle is trying their best as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I think Meath played Sligo in a challenge in Trim last night. Does anybody have any info?

risteard7 wrote: »
    I think Meath played Sligo in a challenge in Trim last night. Does anybody have any info?

We won 4-20 to 1-10. 2-11 0-06 at HT.
    Wasn't at it but according the Fergal Lynches tweets Sligo were woeful and not much can be read into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Impressive scoreline, but yea Sligo are very poor. The Carlow game could follow a similar pattern.

So the new Intermediate cup is called the "Corn na Boinne Cup"??? Anyone with even a hint of Irish knows that makes no sense.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The guys must also bank in Bank Of Ireland Bank, or maybe AIB Bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

So the new Intermediate cup is called the "Corn na Boinne Cup"??? Anyone with even a hint of Irish knows that makes no sense.

According to Google translate it means Boyne Cup Cup :D bit silly alright

But I do wonder what was wrong with giving the intermediate teams a go at the senior teams in the Feis cup? Can only assume it's to cut down on fixtures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Hibbeler wrote: »
    According to Google translate it means Boyne Cup Cup :D bit silly alright

But I do wonder what was wrong with giving the intermediate teams a go at the senior teams in the Feis cup? Can only assume it's to cut down on fixtures?

Nah it's more to do with having a cup that's competitive. It's better having them divided.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Nah it's more to do with having a cup that's competitive. It's better having them divided.
    There's plenty of Intermediate teams who can mix it with senior clubs. I don't understand the reason for dividing it.

There's plenty of Intermediate teams who can mix it with senior clubs. I don't understand the reason for dividing it.

Would you think so? I've always been told by Meath people that intermediate is the weakest level in Meath. I know Gaeil Colmcille pretty much walked intermediate last year and they hadn't any county players. Mattimoe was the only player they had I would consider county standard.

Not sure of other clubs but did Nobber not win the intermediate recently just to end up back down a couple of years or so later?

Would you think so? I've always been told by Meath people that intermediate is the weakest level in Meath. I know Gaeil Colmcille pretty much walked intermediate last year and they hadn't any county players. Mattimoe was the only player they had I would consider county standard.

Not sure of other clubs but did Nobber not win the intermediate recently just to end up back down a couple of years or so later?

Not sure that that's a fair assumption. Na Fianna won intermediate in 2012 and went on to the senior final last year. The situation that nobber found themselves in getting relegated soon after winning the intermediate is hardly unique around the country I'd imagine. Plus if you look at the last ten years of intermediate championship winners in meath only Nobber and St Ultans have since been relegated from what I can see.

In terms of the standard, I think the IFC has suffered a bit with the rejigging of the championships to have 18 teams each in recent years. This has meant no relegation and perhaps a a bit of dead weight remains in the IFC. Hopefully this can begin to be rectified with the return of relegation this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

It does get called out as sour grapes, but I would tend to agree. I know GAA was never really a level playing field to begin with, but to compare one end of the scale to the other is quite an eye opener. Dublin are getting around a million a year with AIG while Leitrim get around €30000 a year from their sponsor. I'd say more than a few Dublin clubs get that for their sponsors.

Again, people will point to the fact that they've been getting quite a bit of money for a while and it's only now that they've started winning, but they've been pouring a lot of this money into underage which is coming to fruition now. And unfortunately, nowadays you can have a whole squad of naturally talented youngsters, but unless you have the money to pump into them, they're not going to make an impact when they reach senior intercounty. Take the extremely talented Tipp minors who won the All Ireland 3 years ago. That group failed to make it out of Munster in this years U21 while Dublin won the All Ireland.

I have to say I'm worried about the future of the football championship if Dublin continue to win everything in front of them. Every now and then they may slip up, but I can honestly see them winning every Leinster championship bar maybe one for the rest of the decade. But the GAA don't seem bothered and are content to bleed as much money from Dublin fans as they can by sticking them in Croke Park for every single championship game.

€30,000 sponsorship.. There are all sorts of rumours going round about money being paid here there and everywhere and not only in Dublin in other counties also but Id love to know what Dublin clubs are getting this type of money. My club play Division 1 football and got there because of a plan we developed in 1993
    Most Dublin fans want games outside Croke park. The best days Iv had on the road have been in Navan, Portlaoise, Thurles and Wexford. The simple fact is far more Dubs are going to games now than back 20years ago. It was a hectic trip to get to Portlaoise, Tullamore or Wexford back then now its a little over an hour

The money that was poured into Dublin G.A.A is a myth to an extent. The county and clubs had to provide analysis and plans of how money was going to be used. Initially it was aimed at inner city areas to help clubs provide facilities and to assist with coaching, get kids off the streets because dickheads gave planning for massive sprawls with not even a swing provided. It then needed people to to work their backsides off which they have for years. They improved the standards from the ground up and made G.A.A. the game of the people where really it was all soccer in suburbia and still is in parts.
    I would suggest soccer Rugby and other sports are being played in parts of Meath where it was unheard of 20-30 years ago? This has impacted big time on Meath G.A.A.

rpurfield wrote: »
    on the dublin thing as far as i can make out a lot of their fans would love a spin down to portlaoise or somewhere for a championship game, the talk of their last one in longford is always nothing but good. surely to god a packed provincal venue and the money itd bring the town would be good for everyone compared to a half full croker
    Nothing compares to the banter on the road with any county. But there needs to be better planning as some of these towns are a disaster when it come to traffic and parking.
    If only 25k Dublin fans will turn up in Croker I'd imagine 15k max would go to portlaoise. So yes allow counties with grounds big enough like Wexford/Ofally/Laois have the option of playing the Dubs in their home patch. The Leinster championship is dying a slow death because Dublin have dominated it for 10 years.
    I cant remember when only 25k turned up in Croke Park for a game involving Dublin. As I said above Dubs love a trip Navan with a stop off in MaGuires in Kentstown, Dunshaughlin the Big tree. It was great and was often a meeting point for lads to continue onto the game.
    What benefit does the small bit of extra cash do for these counties when they have no hope of ever beating the Dubs. A home match packed out against the Dubs would promoted the GAA to young kids in their county than 2-3k fans travelling to see Dublin slaughter them in CP.
    What are county boards doing with the money. Why are they not earmarking a percentage of their money to go towards providing juvenile coachs? Iv seen club games in Meath and other counties with good attendances and perhaps this money should go towards coaching?
    My club has to fundraise big time to meet our commitment to our Coaching, bag packing, raffles, sponsored walk. The success of Dublin is not just down to money its down to people giving up 3, 4 or 5 nights a week in their clubs but not just willy nilly there is a plan in place system that we always try to improve on. And I can assure you we have got some right hidings along the way, days you would want to go home and not come back.
    Our senior team in our club are like hermits and are more committed than quite a few intercounty players I know, if they are not they simply wont survive in Dublin senior league and all our players bar 1 played U/10 for us.

How many remember the dominance of Meath in Leinster? Some would say Meath let us win one or two. There was no problem or moaning from Dubs back then. I remember meeting a few Meath players regularly back then and they were treated way better than Dublin. What has happened in the interim? Yes Dublin improved with development squads but Meath? And while there is great rivalary ask any Dub and the counties they want to play in July are Dublin and Meath

The talent is in Meath of that Iv no doubt as Iv seen a good few games and if players put in the commitment if they are good enough they will come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

LeoB wrote: »
    I cant remember when only 25k turned up in Croke Park for a game involving Dublin. As I said above Dubs love a trip Navan with a stop off in MaGuires in Kentstown, Dunshaughlin the Big tree. It was great and was often a meeting point for lads to continue onto the game.

How many remember the dominance of Meath in Leinster? Some would say Meath let us win one or two. There was no problem or moaning from Dubs back then. I remember meeting a few Meath players regularly back then and they were treated way better than Dublin. What has happened in the interim? Yes Dublin improved with development squads but Meath? And while there is great rivalary ask any Dub and the counties they want to play in July are Dublin and Meath

The talent is in Meath of that Iv no doubt as Iv seen a good few games and if players put in the commitment if they are good enough they will come through.

I was saying that last year there was 33k in croke park for the Leinster quarter final double header between Dublin/Westmeath and Offaly/Kildare. So I'd say around 25k were from Dublin.

If that was played down the country even less Dublin fans would go. Prob 15-20k so a number of provincial venues could definitely take the demand if Dublin played some first round games down the country. Kilkenny/Portlaoise/Wexford Park and Navan/Tullamore to a lesser extent.

Take two (or 3?) years ago. Wexford get home advantage against the Dubs.If they played it at home you'd have a packed out stadium with 25k fans instead of croke park only a third full. Great advert for the game.

Last year if Westmeath had home advantage they could've moved to portlaoise and have it packed out with around 27k capacity. (That's assuming the Dubs would travel like they used to and judging by your sizeable league travelling support I'd reckon they would). Then you'd only need the Kildare v Ofally match to have an attendance of 6k or more to beat the total of 33k they got in croke park.

Kildare and Offaly played a quarter final a few years ago in front of 17k in portloaise so i reckon they would get over the 6k needed anyway.

This is why I cannot for the life of me understand why the GAA play these quarter finals in croker. Even if Dublin were bringing 40k to opening round games counties should still be entitled to take them on at home or in a neutral country venue every now and then. But as we know the interest in Leisnter is dying big time and unless they drew Meath in the first round the numbers won't justify it being played in croke park.

How can you say Kells walked the Intermediate last year? They failed to top their group and met a Ratoath side in the quarters without two of their best players in a game that was pretty much played in a hurricane. And they still only got through by 2 points. After that, I'd agree it was easier for them, but they certainly weren't streets ahead of the rest.

And going by the league (which I know isn't the best to be going by) we've seen Rathkenny beaten by Ratoath and Trim, Walterstown beaten by Ratoath and Cortown (a Junior team) and Moynalvey beaten by Ballinlough. If you look at the lower end senior teams, I wouldn't put them too far ahead of the higher end intermediate teams.

How can you say Kells walked the Intermediate last year? They failed to top their group and met a Ratoath side in the quarters without two of their best players in a game that was pretty much played in a hurricane. And they still only got through by 2 points. After that, I'd agree it was easier for them, but they certainly weren't streets ahead of the rest.

And going by the league (which I know isn't the best to be going by) we've seen Rathkenny beaten by Ratoath and Trim, Walterstown beaten by Ratoath and Cortown (a Junior team) and Moynalvey beaten by Ballinlough. If you look at the lower end senior teams, I wouldn't put them too far ahead of the higher end intermediate teams.

I wouldn't go by league in any county tbh. I've often seen the likes of Drumbaragh and Kilmaimham beat Kells in the league but if they played championship there would only be one result.

Perhaps the semi and final, which they walked, are clouding my memory. However, the first game was the only game they lost and in their other group games they didn't look under trouble. I missed the Ratoath game due to being away. Hurricane conditions wouldn't favour Kells though (you seem to be indicating they effected the result) as they have alot of players who like to run with the ball at pace. The Colmcilles game was also lost more due to their own complacency than anything Colmcilles did.

I also remember thinking Gaeil Colmcille were fairly average tbh for a team winning games so easily. Only Mattimoe stood out as county standard. Graham Geraghty obviously agreed in the final given the 'attention' he gave him!

They also went out in the first round of Leinster. How have Meath intermediate teams performed in it?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't go by league in any county tbh. I've often seen the likes of Drumbaragh and Kilmaimham beat Kells in the league but if they played championship there would only be one result.

Perhaps the semi and final, which they walked, are clouding my memory. However, the first game was the only game they lost and in their other group games they didn't look under trouble. I missed the Ratoath game due to being away. Hurricane conditions wouldn't favour Kells though (you seem to be indicating they effected the result) as they have alot of players who like to run with the ball at pace. The Colmcilles game was also lost more due to their own complacency than anything Colmcilles did.

I also remember thinking Gaeil Colmcille were fairly average tbh for a team winning games so easily. Only Mattimoe stood out as county standard. Graham Geraghty obviously agreed in the final given the 'attention' he gave him!

They also went out in the first round of Leinster. How have Meath intermediate teams performed in it?

Both Drumbaragh and Kilmainham of course were promoted from junior last year. However after 3 rounds of intermediate championship, Drumbaragh took a 16-point beating from Syddan (who played the whole second half with 14 men) last weekend and Kilmainham sit at the bottom of their group with 0 points and looking like one of the favourites for relegation imo.

League form to some degree should be treated as completely separate to championship form it can be misleading at best.

For this years intermediate championship the favourites would probably be Castletown, Rathoath and St Colmcilles. the winner will come from one of those three for me.

Advertisement