Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

one X is up on vodafone site now, €579 pay as you go (switching network) and ranging from €100 to 299 on bill pay. Will wait and see what price meteor bring it out at, try it in my hand in store and decide then

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just got invited to the HTC One Launch event tonight - not too sure what to expect but I'll let you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

DRose1 wrote: »

1/ The lack of expandable memory is a complete joke. I think they include 25gb of free dropbox storage, but I am not sure that would be too practical... i.e You need a good data connection or wifi to access the files and I could see it being cumbersome even when I have a good connection - e.g Accessing a music playlist and navigating around it...

Google Music? Why store all this stuff on your phone - I have a 4GB card in current phone and have never gotten near filling it - All my pics sync to Google+ and I upload any videos to Youtube or have Cheetah Sync set up to sync other stuff to my main PC etc.
    To me anyway 16GB would be more than enough
    2/ The battery is non-user replaceable. The battery life is already questionable, so when it inevitably degrades over the next 6 months or so, you would no option of replacing it...

Have my phone for nearly 2 years now and the battery took about a month to condition itself and is in fact now better that it was out of the box. Is it expected that a battery in this day and age will degrade that much over the life span of the phone - which would be 18-24 months normally

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Google Music? Why store all this stuff on your phone - I have a 4GB card in current phone and have never gotten near filling it - All my pics sync to Google+ and I upload any videos to Youtube or have Cheetah Sync set up to sync other stuff to my main PC etc.
    To me anyway 16GB would be more than enough

Have my phone for nearly 2 years now and the battery took about a month to condition itself and is in fact now better that it was out of the box. Is it expected that a battery in this day and age will degrade that much over the life span of the phone - which would be 18-24 months normally
    You make a good point about Google Music, but I have already tried that and I am not a big fan of the Google Music player on Android.

I used pretty much all of the music players available in the market and I have found 'Player Pro' to be by far the best option.... maybe they will add support for Google Music in the future...

As for the battery, I suppose its not that big of an issue. If a big problem arose with it, I presume the manufacturer could install a new one for you if I sent it away?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Zascar wrote: »
    I just got invited to the HTC One Launch event tonight - not too sure what to expect but I'll let you know...

Where is it on? Who sent you the invite?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

One S now on O2
    €449 Pre Pay
    €129 on cheapest contract.

But this ****e...
    "Includes 700MB monthly data allowance for the first 3 months. Reverts back to 150MB after this time."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

MoodeRator wrote: »
    One S now on O2
    €449 Pre Pay

But this ****e...
    "Includes 700MB monthly data allowance for the first 3 months. Reverts back to 150MB after this time."

Says €69 for me and I have a gold upgrade - but does say "From - Free" if you have a platinum etc. Only gives 18 month contract option - interested to see what it will be at the lower contact terms. I hate locking myself in for so long. Especially nowadays when everything changes so fast

Oh and re data, only 150mb on the lowest package. 700mb on all the others, and then it's charged at €10.16 per 700mb - or €1 for 70mb which is not bad at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

That description for the one s on O2.ie is actually for the one x! It's banging on about he screens and 4.7inch

Does anyone know what headset you receive with the One S? i.e Does it come with a Beats Audio in ear headset like previous models?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Does anyone know what headset you receive with the One S? i.e Does it come with a Beats Audio in ear headset like previous models?
    I believe it comes with HTC headphones' but will accept the beats profiles if beats are plugged in.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I believe it comes with HTC headphones' but will accept the beats profiles if beats are plugged in.
    Uh, thats a bit annoying, was hoping it came with the Beats ones.

Although, I think I am right in saying that the Beats audio profile will work on any music player and with any headset?

I'm open to correction here but imo beats audio is fairly useless, you could do pretty much the same thing with any graphic equaliser. It's simply bullsh1t/genius marketing (delete as desired)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Beats audio aka Bass boost

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm open to correction here but imo beats audio is fairly useless, you could do pretty much the same thing with any graphic equaliser. It's simply bullsh1t/genius marketing (delete as desired)
    I think you are right; although a few reviews have said the Beats is half decent on the new HTC devices. Definitely not something that would sway me towards buying it, but also something that I wouldn't mind trying out if I decide to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

No word from meteor... guess its too risky hoping Vodafone are selling unlocked HTC's again..

The headphones are actually not that bad but they are viciously expensive. You can get top of the line DJ headphones which will be way better, for much cheaper than the top Dr. Dre ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Very very tempted by the One X, screen sounds amazing. Only thing that might be a negative for it is the size. However i don't think i could get the S knowing that the screen is no where near the glory of the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

2/ The battery is non-user replaceable. The battery life is already questionable, so when it inevitably degrades over the next 6 months or so, you would no option of replacing it...
    the battery is (apparently) a lithium polymer cell (like with recent iphones and macbooks) , not lithium ion (like traditional mobile phones), so the battery is most likely going to be a kind of flexible pouch and doesn't need to have a rigid outer shell to basically get more battery into the same area inside the phone.

deending on exactly what type of LiPo technology used, it could either be a really good thing, or possibly more or less the same as lithium ion, but time will tell i guess.
    in recent years, manufacturers have been declaring upwards of 500 charge-discharge cycles before the capacity drops to 80% (see Sanyo). Another variant of Li-poly cells, the "thin film rechargeable lithium battery", has been shown to provide more than 10,000 cycles.
    could be interesting. :)

edit: there's also a good round up of (largely positive) reviews of the one x here: http://androidandme.com/2012/04/smartphones-2/htc-one-x-review-roundup/

although battery life doesn't seem all that great. :(

would like to see a side by side comparison with the desire HD though, i can live with that kind of result for that kind of performance.

I'm just back from the HTC One X launch event. Was very impressive! I did not quite know what to expect, a dingy room with a powerpoint presentation perhaps, but it was nothing like that... It was in a nightclub, they had mounds of free booze - dozens of hot promotions girls, DJ, percussionists, dancing girls in costume doing shows, everything! Oh yea the phone was there too - seems pretty good, the reviews are fairly spot on :) In seriousness though it is a lovely piece of kit. The screen is spectacular, its very quick, no lag, the camera seems fantastic. Very thin and light but with a fantastic build quality. The One S seems lovely too, amazingly small and thin - longer than my Sensation but about 1/4 the thickness and weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lighter

The maxxx is actually coming to europe but not until may. http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_maxx_headed_to_europe_the_middle_east_in_may-news-4048.php

Battery life is all well and good but it will be an old gen of hardware then probably still runnung gingerbread and with a locked bootloader.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

One thing I'm not sure of is the touch sensitive keys instead of software buttons on the screen.

Seems like it would work better with soft keys...

MoodeRator wrote: »
    One S now on O2
    €449 Pre Pay

But this ****e...

They either have the name wrong or the details wrong cos it mentions 4.7" screen in the description. I suspect it's the description though

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Thank you Expansys.ie and DHL. My One X made it from France overnight to Dublin and is out for delivery now!

Have to get a micro-sim now.

The One X will replace my Desire which has served me very well - after rooting, over-clocking and installing Cyanogen Mod 7 that is. Seriously, the ability to run a custom rom is what has made it last 18 months.

I'm sticking with HTC because they committed to making their phones (relatively) easy to root.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 28 scurran19

Its on sale on the meteor site now but down as out of stock. €559 on PAYG and €149 on the most expensive bill pay and €299 on the cheapest.

Will be interesting to see users thoughts/reviews over the next few days. Have decided to go with the S myself, battery life looks to be less on the X which is still my biggest issue with the smartphones. Will get to carphonewarehouse over the weekend to try them both in hand though

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Was considering buying it unlocked and to go with Three for all you can eat data, had a look at their terms and conditions, think that deal ends this month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

scurran19 wrote: »
    €559 on PAYG and €149 on the most expensive bill pay and €299 on the cheapest.

€598 from the UK seems to be the best price online right now for a sim-free one.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BRAND-NEW-SIM-FREE-FACTORY-UNLOCKED-HTC-ONE-X-ANDROID-WHITE-SMARTPHONE-/130673508339?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item1e6cbf7ff3

Me, I'm still holding out for the Zeta - Christmas 2022 they reckon :p

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_zeta-4333.php

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

looks like the One S may be the bizz according to a benchmark dual off!

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-one-x-vs-htc-one-s-benchmarking-war-03221385/

Only downside I see is lack of NFC in the One S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

tui0hcg wrote: »
    looks like the One S may be the bizz according to a benchmark dual off!

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-one-x-vs-htc-one-s-benchmarking-war-03221385/

Only downside I see is lack of NFC in the One S

Better screen > slightly better benchmarks.

Advertisement