Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Goodshape wrote: »
    Now we know how the HTC devices handle the legacy menu anyway.
    Black bar(with just the menu button) appears at the bottom of non ICS apps.
    Seems pretty space wasty
    Really don't like that. Just seems broken.

Why Google ever removed the Menu and Search buttons in the first place is a mystery to me... two buttons I'd previously used all the time. And no Search?! It's Google! Strange one.

But, at least on my GNex I was able to install a custom rom and get those two buttons back -- it's just software. Works great now, and it's not like there's a shortage of space for them!

The hardware buttons on the HTC One would actually put me off buying it, tbh. It's a "small" thing compared to other features and specs but one you're going to notice every single time you pick up the phone.

I pressume cause the average Joe gets confused over the amount of buttons. If ever im teaching a first time user about the functions they only seem to remember the home button. The rest goes out the window...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I pressume cause the average Joe gets confused over the amount of buttons. If ever im teaching a first time user about the functions they only seem to remember the home button. The rest goes out the window...

This makes me worry for people :pac:

This makes me worry for people :pac:

Don't, I used to a long time ago and its not worth it, there's nothing you can do cause people really could give a flute about smartphones. The majority of people anyway. The only reason their upgrading to a smartphone cause the range of feature handsets is going lower and lower.

One X is an awesome handset. I'm just worried that the 4.7" screen might throw of a lot of average consumers cause most of them find 4.3" huge.

That's the reason iPhone is called so simple cause all you got is the homescreen and icons. No extra menus to go into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Don't, I used to a long time ago and its not worth it, there's nothing you can do cause people really could give a flute about smartphones. The majority of people anyway. The only reason their upgrading to a smartphone cause the range of feature handsets is going lower and lower.

One X is an awesome handset. I'm just worried that the 4.7" screen might throw of a lot of average consumers cause most of them find 4.3" huge.

That's the reason iPhone is called so simple cause all you got is the homescreen and icons. No extra menus to go into.

4.7 puts me right off. I'll look at the One S when its out as 4.3 I can deal with.

4.7 puts me right off. I'll look at the One S when its out as 4.3 I can deal with.

Same as. I've got a 4.7" screen on my Titan. Its the last time im crossing the 4.3" screen size. Even though its only a couple of mm compared to my sensation. That couple of mm really do make a difference in ease of operation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Definitely have to hold both first and give them a whirl so, before I make a decision, going to have the one x or one s for next 12 months better make sure it's the right phone for me...

My only two worries about this phone are the 1800 mah battery and the lack of an fm radio... Think I heard somewhere that the NFC chip in the one x can support an fm radio and it's only a matter of a software update, fingers crossed but not holding my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

No radio. Ah FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No radio. Ah FFS!

Raaaaaa---di----oooooo?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Ah, no radio, that'll be annoying.

Also wondering how the battery life is on this as well (the X) - no reviews of it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Do people really use the FM radio functionality that much? I've never used it, didn't think it'd be something that people would really look for in their phones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is there any word yet as to whether it will have the beats headphones bundled? I know there is much debate about this on other forums...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Well, in the age of expensive data caps, having FM radio is a better option rather than internet radio I think.

Plus there is the odd time you get bored of your own music collection (or if you haven't bothered to update it in a while), or want to listen to some banter etc.

Saadyst wrote: »
    Well, in the age of expensive data caps, having FM radio is a better option rather than internet radio I think.

Plus there is the odd time you get bored of your own music collection (or if you haven't bothered to update it in a while), or want to listen to some banter etc.

Yeah but who want to listen to the local radio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Saadyst wrote: »

Plus loss of signal going through areas while listening to internet radio is really annoying.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm listening to my FM radio on Sensation right now, all my phones going back along have had one...

I am aware I can use internet radio (and the last 3 phones I have owned have had them) but the FM radio just works better...

That's funny the last 3 I've had hadn't had one, always missed the fm radio for the reasons stated above, lack of signal etc... and I definitely thought htc would have an fm radio in their flagship phone but alas I'm doomed to spend the next 12 months using the Internet radio apps again, hopefully it'll be rectified using a custom rom or a future software update!

Meh i havent used the FM radio in years. If i did cause i was probably extremely bored.

Id usually just download a ton of Radio Music Podcasts and listen to them. Be just as same, cause you have no control over what happens on it. You just play a long music track. If you have at least 8GB of space on your phone it should be a worry even with all the apps and offline sat nav installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm certain that I saw an FM radio icon on the HTC one X previews on youtube. I hugely miss an FM radio, my last three phones haven't had them and it's a pain in the hole if you're a current affairs junkie like me. Streaming radio is also worthless if you want commentary while at matches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Lack of FM radio makes it a no no fire me also. Real shame they didn't include one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭ofcork

Some spec lists say the one x has an fm radio and others dont which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

ofcork wrote: »
    Some spec lists say the one x has an fm radio and others dont which is it?

Nothing about it on HTC.com and GSMarena say no radio. I'd take that as there's no FM radio.

Never listen to the radio myself (except in the car sometimes). Irish radio sucks so I'd be more inclined to use internet radio anyway IF I was to use it on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Nothing about it on HTC.com and GSMarena say no radio. I'd take that as there's no FM radio.

Never listen to the radio myself (except in the car sometimes). Irish radio sucks so I'd be more inclined to use internet radio anyway IF I was to use it on my phone.

GSMArena spec sheets are notoriously unreliable. Cut to 3:48 for the FM radio app icon on the X.

Ye im starting to get a bit confused myself now, if ya look at this video by T3 magazine, skip to 1.12 - 1.14, clear as day there is an FM Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Was reading that the battery is lithium polymer and apparently they're much better than Lithium Ion.

So even though it's only an 1800mAh battery for a quad core processor and such a large screen, it's apparently going to hold a charge well.

Can anyone confirm this re li-po batteries??

Good news on the radio lads, seems gsm arena have updated there specs confirming a radio here http://m.gsmarena.com/htc_one_x-4320.php

So installed sense 4 on my sensation. Nice change from Sense 3.5. Everything runs smooth. Hopefully it will run ever nicer on the new series. I still though can't understand why HTC is leaving the sensation at sense 3.6 when it can obviously can run 4 nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So installed sense 4 on my sensation. Nice change from Sense 3.5. Everything runs smooth. Hopefully it will run ever nicer on the new series. I still though can't understand why HTC is leaving the sensation at sense 3.6 when it can obviously can run 4 nicely

So you'll buy the next new phone I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Bad Panda wrote: »

So even though it's only an 1800mAh battery for a quad core processor and such a large screen, it's apparently going to hold a charge well.

Remember more cores should reduce battery consumption not increase it, idea is processor spends less time working at higher inefficient speeds, by using multiple cores at lower more efficient speeds.

dulpit wrote: »
    So you'll buy the next new phone I suppose...

No :) Im using a HTC Titan as my daily driver and will be waiting for Windows Phone 8, I got bored of constantly tinkering with my phone to make it work the way I want it too, so I gave the Sensation to my gf seeing as her Desire was running quite slow and I can still mess around with it once in a while :) I put Sense 4 on it on Friday, used it over the weekend and it was lovely to work with.

Either way I wouldnt see the point because the One X which is the phone I would want with the top specs is 4.7" and is the same size as my Titan. I wouldnt go near a screen of that size again. Its just not that comfortable to hold for long periods.

I think the Sensation is still quite good. Ill admit it, i hated the phone when it was on Sense 3.5.

Once the leak of Sense 3.6 with new firmware came out it changed a lot of things. It was much faster and smoother to use, camera got a lot better, it's lasting a lot longer now too.

It was like a brand new phone. It still feels the same with Sense 4, just the old sense interface is gone, it feels like a breath of fresh air having used Sense since i first tried it on my HD2 and the Desire.

I think this upgrade is a lot more suited to people upgrading from the Desire, Desire HD, Desire S.

I dont see the point as the Sensation has pretty much all the same features unless you really want the new improved camera, high res display and the new Tegra engine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Off topic: What Sense 4 ROM are you running?

Advertisement