Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Have you used Google Now in a different country/timezone?
    Last trip overseas I had info on flights, travel time from airport to hotel, travel time from hotel to office. Weather at home plus local weather. Info on time difference and currency exchange rates. Local tourist attractions and distance to them.

Yeah that's cool, except 95% of the time I'll be in Ireland. The remainder that I'm outside the country, I really won't be connecting to the internet all that much unless there's free wi-fi somewhere. That might get better in time if the rates come down for roaming internet, but it's still a small minority of the time (sadly :pac: ).

What can I use it for in my day to day life I'm wondering... and if I'm asking that question, maybe it's just not for me and I need to live a more exciting life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mad muffin wrote: »
    I don't understand this obsession with battery life. As long as it last 24hrs it should be more than enough.

You're at home you can plug it in.

You're in your car you can plug it in.

You're in the office you can plug it in.

You're asleep you can plug it in.

Unless you live on a dessert island you are never far away from a power socket.

I'd much rather a slimmer phone that fits better in the hand and pocket than a behemoth that last for two days.

Well in that case I would like a much slimmer charger that I can carry around the place. That's the problem. I've never had a HTC phone (except for the Titan) that lasted 24 hours.

I don't drive. I walk and listen to music
    I'm in college and therefore a plug is not always an option
    Obviously charge it at night. Doesn't last long enough though
    It's stupid plugging it in all the time. I like the convenience of not having to charge up and go through all day without having to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Amazon are giving away an htc media link with this phone. Be sure to check the amazon one and not the one that is the default.

Offer till the 15th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Why cant i see the one on amazon?

• Advertisement

Thanks and i see o2 have it on their coming soon section.

ofcork wrote: »
    Thanks and i see o2 have it on their coming soon section.

No worries.

I see also meteor and three. Three are giving away the media link with it too.

I'm still wondering if I should get it and give my iphone 5 to my wife...

Just to see what the pricing will be like with o2 as im a few months off upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

HTC arnt throwing specs at us, thier targeting iPhone users that want to try out a real OS.
    ZOE looks incredible !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mu9imlyj5o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've had three HTC Phones, Desire, Sensation and One X and I'd be very very hard pressed to buy another one. I find they are always great in theory and function great at first but all of them seem to get a bit slow and laggy and the battery is unacceptable on all of them, even the One X. Most of the time its ok but still sometimes it lets me down, with heavy use you've no chance of getting a day out of it. and I always have the screen at lowest brightness.

This looks decent but personally I've had enough of these gimmicky features. These days I just want a decent phone that does the basics well. Battery, Speed, Camera. Oh and updates too. I'd be more tempted to go for a Google Nexus as it gets the new Android updates very quickly, and the ability to try Ubuntu also. I'm torn, i want a few phone when eligible quite soon, but I have to be patient as every time I buy one a few months later i regret not waiting for something else.

What will be this guys main rivals? SGS4? What else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Zascar wrote: »
    I've had three HTC Phones, Desire, Sensation and One X and I'd be very very hard pressed to buy another one. I find they are always great in theory and function great at first but all of them seem to get a bit slow and laggy and the battery is unacceptable on all of them, even the One X. Most of the time its ok but still sometimes it lets me down, with heavy use you've no chance of getting a day out of it. and I always have the screen at lowest brightness.

This looks decent but personally I've had enough of these gimmicky features. These days I just want a decent phone that does the basics well. Battery, Speed, Camera. Oh and updates too. I'd be more tempted to go for a Google Nexus as it gets the new Android updates very quickly, and the ability to try Ubuntu also. I'm torn, i want a few phone when eligible quite soon, but I have to be patient as every time I buy one a few months later i regret not waiting for something else.

What will be this guys main rivals? SGS4? What else?

Xperia Z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It looks nice.
    It would be better to have an sd card for media though.
    I've decided to go from the iphone 4 to the Xperia Z.
    I find the iphones lack of storage a real pain at times.
    Be interesting to see how android is as phone now, my last experience with android was a HTC Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Might be joining you. Was going to jump to a note 2 from the iphone 4 (I've never had an android), but I had 4 or 5 sony phones before the iphone and really liked them. It looks like the phone to beat at the moment from what I've read about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Anyone on the look out for a new phone might do well to wait for the X phone. It'll probably be running stock android, will continue with the good build quality of recent Motorola phones not to mention the battery should be amazing. Being Google owned it also stands to reason that it should get quick updates, maybe not nexus quick but better than most. If rumours are to be believed it may even have an sd card slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Has anyone heard any pricing yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Based on what Google have been saying about Motorola recently, I wouldnt expect anything great from them for at least another 12 months. They are currently locked in an 18 month product cycle that existed before Google took over. Guy Kawasaki has just joined them and I'd imagine it'll take quite a while for him to integrate some viable policies...

A nice look at the black one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Based on what Google have been saying about Motorola recently, I wouldnt expect anything great from them for at least another 12 months. They are currently locked in an 18 month product cycle that existed before Google took over. Guy Kawasaki has just joined them and I'd imagine it'll take quite a while for him to integrate some viable policies...

I wouldn't expect anything from Motorola. Google clearly picked up motorola for patents and not hardware.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard any pricing yet?

They're on amazon for £519.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looks great but I'll wait until people have them in hand for a month or so before making up my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm pretty sure I just bricked my phone. Anyone have a guide to unbrick it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Chinpool wrote: »
    I think my One X is on the way out :(
    Seems like the power button gets kinda halfway stuck and sends it into a reboot cycle even though it hasn't been pressed at all

They really don't seem to have much robustness to them at all. My One V has already been back to be fixed and it isn't a year old yet (as in I haven't had it a year). Decided letting me call people wasn't a necessary function of a phone, neither was text. Basically decided the 'phone' functions of the phone were unnecessary! And sometimes it wouldn't let me call, so I'd go on with my day and an hour later the persons phone would ring!

It's back now and it has turned itself off a few times, and rebooted itself a few times so I am sceptical how long it'l last. Course I am in contract on the baxtard til next Jan/Feb!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

hdowney wrote: »
    They really don't seem to have much robustness to them at all.!

Will Have my One X a year next week and its solid, it used daily by a 2 & 4 year old playing angry birds and candy crush, constantly being dropped on floor, not so much as a scratch.

Will be going up on adverts in 4 months and getting the new 'One'.

Class phones, most S3 users look in envy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

FaganJr wrote: »
    Will Have my One X a year next week and its solid, it used daily by a 2 & 4 year old playing angry birds and candy crush, constantly being dropped on floor, not so much as a scratch.

Will be going up on adverts in 4 months and getting the new 'One'.

Class phones, most S3 users look in envy! ;)

Thinking robustness may be the wrong word! Don't mean it in the sense of dropped etc. More that they go kaput (in some cases) far to quickly to be decent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I just bricked my phone. Anyone have a guide to unbrick it?

Well after finally sorting it, I've put on the renovate rom but unfortunately now my meteor data isn't working.

The details look correct. Anyone else use this rom and have a similar issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

It seems there's already going to be shortages in supplying this phone....

King Krib wrote: »
    It seems there's already going to be shortages in supplying this phone....
    I can actually understand the shortage after last year's failure they are taking a more cautious approach. If demand is high then they will supply more vice versa.

EDIT: Is the phone to be released to the Irish markets on the 15th?

Guys head over to xda in the ones super thread, last few pages.

There are photos of someone who just it in Germany.

Build quality is awfull. :(

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    Guys head over to xda in the ones super thread, last few pages.

There are photos of someone who just it in Germany.

Build quality is awfull. :(
    Can I have a link please?

Advertisement