Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

/drool
    Lovely looking phone. Looks really powerful and so light and thin.
    Just wondering if i need a phone with a screen that big. Are these phones unwieldy.
    Also does this have NFC in it, anyone know?
    And could Tescomobile be doing it i wonder? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Theres a list of carriers who will have the HTC one series of phones on this page, take a look, there's 3 Irl, Meteor, Vodafone, O2, most if not all the big networks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

Watched a few vids on youtube,its a good looking phone hope it shows up soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Think I have finally found an upgrade for my hero the One S for me :) the One X is nice but I don't think I need a phone with that big a screen and quad core in a phone id say a day tops battery life!!!
    The One V is a nice little phone reminds me of the hero and legend but the screen seems to stick out of the body which is a little odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Also does this have NFC in it, anyone know?

it mentions that it does have a NFC chip for Google wallet in that review above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so will the summer come down to the S 3 and this or are there any other contenders out there?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

HW specs on the 1X are looking a little weak on paper compared to what's being touted for the S3.

I know the amount of quoted Megapixels doesn't necessarily guarantee anything...but clinging to 8MP on an apparently high end phone these days is pretty weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I wonder will it have LTE, nothing mentioned in the UK specs, hopefully the Australian version will have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

wernstrom! wrote: »
    HW specs on the 1X are looking a little weak on paper compared to what's being touted for the S3.

I know the amount of quoted Megapixels doesn't necessarily guarantee anything...but clinging to 8MP on an apparently high end phone these days is pretty weak.

I have a Canon 1D MkIII camera that was over €4K when new a few years ago and it's a 10MP camera so I would imagine 8MP is more than plenty on a phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

digiman wrote: »
    I wonder will it have LTE, nothing mentioned in the UK specs, hopefully the Australian version will have.

The Us version of the ONEx does have LTE, but a dual core processor, UK & Ireland versions will have quad core and HSPA+. Not sure about Australia, is there an LTE network?

Im more interested in the ONEs, it looks to be a cracking looking phone with great specs and a good size screen. The x would be too big for me, 3.7" is my ideal, certainly no more than 4.0".

• Advertisement

Ballyman wrote: »
    I have a Canon 1D MkIII camera that was over €4K when new a few years ago and it's a 10MP camera so I would imagine 8MP is more than plenty on a phone :)

Best camera i've owned on a phone yet was 5MP. Rather modest by today's standards.........but like i said, on paper. Regardless of if the S3 is actually a superior phone or not.....i suspect it's going to be another good year for Samsung, and a not-so-good one for HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Best camera i've owned on a phone yet was 5MP. Rather modest by today's standards.........but like i said, on paper. Regardless of if the S3 is actually a superior phone or not.....i suspect it's going to be another good year for Samsung, and a not-so-good one for HTC.

I disagree, I think this will be HTC's year, they beat the original Galaxy S by being first to marlket with the Desire, they have a good chance of seeing off the Galaxy S3 by being a few months earlier to market with an exceptional handset.

Note how HTC didn't announce a tablet at MWC, they know atm there's not a market for a non iOS tablet, whereas Samsung are releasing a bigger, fatter Galaxy Tab.

The unified One brand is a great idea, in 2011 HTC got too fragmented with a highly complex mix of XL, XE etc. which were all essentially sensations.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭jmal

Disagree too!! The MP count is only a part of what makes a good camera. The camera in the OneX has been tipped as ground breaking tech. The f-2.0 lens with a backside illuminated sensor produces amazing pictures in any light conditions. Put side by side with an iPhone4S the OneX is alot better. HTC have also put huge work into the camera software. First pic in 0.7sec from unlock and 0.2sec continuous shots. The One can even take stills while recording video without any delay to the video short. The camera is a serious piece of tech.

Other points to note, The OneX does support 4G, Bluetooth 4, NFC and Wireless HDMI via adapter or DLNA TV. Beats audio built in (not sure if Beats headphone included like SensationXE & XL...fingers crossed).

Samsung and Apple have their work cut out with the OneX:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Battery better be long lasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

bd250110 wrote: »
    The Us version of the ONEx does have LTE, but a dual core processor, UK & Ireland versions will have quad core and HSPA+. Not sure about Australia, is there an LTE network?

Im more interested in the ONEs, it looks to be a cracking looking phone with great specs and a good size screen. The x would be too big for me, 3.7" is my ideal, certainly no more than 4.0".

Yeah, Telstra have a 4G network over here, pretty amazing I have to say. Tested out the HTC Velocity the other day and it was 45Mbs download, 30Mbs upload and a ping time of only 35ms which is amazing for a mobile phone. I will most likely get the S3 provided it has LTE but the OneX does look pretty good as well I have to say.

jmal wrote: »
    Disagree too!! The MP count is only a part of what makes a good camera. The camera in the OneX has been tipped as ground breaking tech. The f-2.0 lens with a backside illuminated sensor produces amazing pictures in any light conditions. Put side by side with an iPhone4S the OneX is alot better. HTC have also put huge work into the camera software. First pic in 0.7sec from unlock and 0.2sec continuous shots. The One can even take stills while recording video without any delay to the video short. The camera is a serious piece of tech.

I did allude to that briefly in post 38. Nor, i think, did i actually state that HTC are going to produce models that are inferior to Samsung's offerings...but like i said, "on paper" what's been touted for the S3 still LOOKS better, and i'm wondering if that's enough to influence the decision many potential purchasers will make.

There are a few ifs and buts being thrown around on the S3 mind you.... some of the rumors going round are less than credible to boot. Still, i'm not convinced HTC have this year secured at all. I'm not anti-HTC, but i do think they've been languishing a bit the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Could be a problem alright. Am I the only one who doesn't get the apeal of superthin phones. I don't need my phoe to be 9mm thin. Make it 13-15mm and give me a decent battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭SteM

Real shame there's no micro sd slot in this phone. That will put me off.

Could be a problem alright. Am I the only one who doesn't get the apeal of superthin phones. I don't need my phoe to be 9mm thin. Make it 13-15mm and give me a decent battery.

As with most big screen smartphones the battery is always the concern.The quad-core is said to be much less power hungry. As nothing was mentioned about battery life with most of the phones at MWC then you can bet there is no massive improvment. Only time will tell.

I got the opertunity to upgrade an Android 2.3 tablet to Android 4.0.3 yesterday. Can I just confirm ICE CREAM SANDWICH is very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

the lack of sd card slot would only put me off if the internal memory was 16GB (or smaller). At 32GB the One X should be OK.

I do wonder why they are doing this though, I moved from a Desire to a Desire S and brought my SD card with me. This meant that all of my data came with me. It was a totally seamless move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

nedd wrote: »
    the lack of sd card slot would only put me off if the internal memory was 16GB (or smaller). At 32GB the One X should be OK.

I do wonder why they are doing this though, I moved from a Desire to a Desire S and brought my SD card with me. This meant that all of my data came with me. It was a totally seamless move.

I'd imagine that a lot of companies look at Apple's ability to use memory capacity as a way of ensuring that they get maximum return from customers self selecting and think why not us. There's been a trend in the new phones that do away with SD card compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

nedd wrote: »

I have a lot of my apps on a SD card at the moment. Any suggestions on how to get them onto the One X when it is released?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I have a lot of my apps on a SD card at the moment. Any suggestions on how to get them onto the One X when it is released?

when you log in to google on any new android phone it auto syncs and downloads your apps.

people who are used to flashing different roms know to restore with titanium before logging into your google account to counteract this as it can be a pain if you've gone to the trouble of making your own backup

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭damul

link doesnt work

which feature is it?

I have the Galaxy Nexus sim free so I have no contract now. Depending on what contract offers and price of this phone I may buy it and sell the Nexus. It seems promising but will probably just stick with the Nexus as very happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

damul wrote: »
    link doesnt work

which feature is it?

I have the Galaxy Nexus sim free so I have no contract now. Depending on what contract offers and price of this phone I may buy it and sell the Nexus. It seems promising but will probably just stick with the Nexus as very happy with it so far.

HTCs redesigned car mode and AUX dongle

damul wrote: »
    link doesnt work

which feature is it?

HTCs redesigned car mode and AUX dongle

Works for me. Search for HTC Drive UI on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,033 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Works for me. Search for HTC Drive UI on YouTube.

Didn't work for me on the PC/Laptop - it is a mobile youtube link.

The 'PC' version is:

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

If the ONE X and ONE s have a better camera than an iPhone 4s, this will be the best camera on Android by a country mile. The 4s is capable of taking stunning photos, with incredible quality, Im looking forward to seeing what the ONE series brings.

The Nexus does not have an SD card slot, I think this is the way Android might be going. Surely performance will always be better from on-board memory than an SD? As I recall ICS does not handle SD cards particularly elegantly, something to do with how Android 3.0 differs from earlier versions? That said, I think the ability to expand via SD is a feature with keeping and is great for lower priced handsets, to keep costs down. Also for tablets, which are likely to need that bit more memory. The current race is for thinner phones, with better battery life and bigger screens. The removable battery and SD cards are two of the sacrifices for these improvements, I suspect many of these phones will move to micro-SIM's too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

Does anyone have an idea when o2 will have this?

Advertisement