Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Zascar wrote: »
    I wonder if there is any comparisons done on the battery of the S vs the X. If the S was a lot better I probably would go for it. The screen on the S is hardly small and its a lot thinner - might be a more sensible option

Yeah....if the battery is much better but the screen is pentile or something like that so definitely not as good I have heard.....

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Just wondering what network are people on that are getting the OTA upgrade? I am on 3 and have not received anything yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

You may have already done this but go into Settings > About > Software Update and do a manual check. Sometimes you may not be notified even if it is available. At least it was with my ICS4 update on the sensation a few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I have been checking all evening Zascar. I am currently running software version 1.26.771.2. According to engadget it should be upgraded to 1.28.401.9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Possibly only unlocked phones are receiving the update today? Probably needs to be approved by the carriers before it'll be available for locked phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

Got my unlocked One X today (CPW e-moblie) and as soon as I turned it on an update was available. Went from 1.26.401.2 to 1.28.401.9:)

BTW does anybody know if its ok to use my old Desire HD charger as a spare for the One X?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Installing the OTA update at the moment. I have to say that I have been reasonably happy with battery life so far though.

I have noticed the second or 2 lag when unlocking aswell. My theory is that it takes that time to fire up the quad core processor if it has been running on the low power core in standby. I could be WAY off though!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

motownman wrote: »
    BTW does anybody know if its ok to use my old Desire HD charger as a spare for the One X?
    Turn the original charger over and look at the power output, my Desire's charger says "OUTPUT 5V - 1A". If the voltage and amperage on the DHD's charger are close enough, I can't see it being a problem.

It happened once or twice that I was stuck for power and had to use my TouchPad's charger with the Desire, that charger sends 5.3V - 2A! No noticeable ill effects on the phone. Interestingly, the TouchPad won't accept the Desire's charger, it tells me to connect the original, it can probably sense that the amperage is not enough?

Ok my phone has been installing this update for the last hour. Is it supoposed to take this long? The little status bar filled up then disappeared and for the most of the hour there has been the green arrows over the little phone icon on the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

cooperguy wrote: »
    Ok my phone has been installing this update for the last hour. Is it supoposed to take this long? The little status bar filled up then disappeared and for the most of the hour there has been the green arrows over the little phone icon on the screen

Are you using wifi or network? My update downloaded in a couple of minutes over wifi and installed in about 10 minutes. (once the battery was above 35%)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Just installing the update now. Got the phone last week after having a Desire HD. Battery life seems much better thankfully :) Really liking ICS too!

motownman wrote: »
    Are you using wifi or network? My update downloaded in a couple of minutes over wifi and installed in about 10 minutes. (once the battery was above 35%)
    I used the network, it downloaded no problem and began installing. The green bar filled up and now seems to be stuck on the same screen ever since. Its been plugged in the whole time so power isnt an issue

EDIT: Panic over, I unplugged it and it started up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Great thread all, some cracking reviews. Am probably going to upgrade to this myself from the Desire but am locked in with o2 (have a silver upgrade).

Question - does anyone know if the One X will be unlocked on o2?!? I know unlikely but just have to ask - will be quite envious of the rest of yea if it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

EDIT: Panic over, I unplugged it and it started up again!
    Shouldn't take that long. Mine updated in about 5-10 minutes yesterday evening.

EDIT - Yeah I dont think you can update while charging the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Have been stuck on this for 12 hours now :mad: Started the update over wifi, phone was left charging at the same time overnight. woke up to dead phone. Now all I get is the red charge light when connected to PC and sometimes the "green arrows over the little phone icon", but cant get any further:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Question - does anyone know if the One X will be unlocked on o2?!? I know unlikely but just have to ask - will be quite envious of the rest of yea if it isn't.

I got mine on Silver Upgrade the other day and i'm pretty sure the phone is O2 locked (although I haven't tried another SIM). Definitely O2 branded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

I got mine on Silver Upgrade the other day and i'm pretty sure the phone is O2 locked (although I haven't tried another SIM). Definitely O2 branded.

Cheers Nedd, if it's branded I'd say 99.9% locked. Safe bet I'll still get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Got mine on silver upgrade on 02 from carphone warehouse €199 12 month contract unbranded and unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Have been stuck on this for 12 hours now :mad: Started the update over wifi, phone was left charging at the same time overnight. woke up to dead phone. Now all I get is the red charge light when connected to PC and sometimes the "green arrows over the little phone icon", but cant get any further:mad:

It says not to have phone charging when updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

What are peoples thoughts on lack of NFC in the One S?

I am torn between One S and Xperia S and wonder if NFC is a gimmick at the moment but if I am going to be tied in to keeping the phone for 12 months while on contract then I can see NFC starting to be used soon enough around the place

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd say its going to have a fairly slow takeup. In Ireland especially - I doubt you'll be 'left out' not having NFC for the next 12 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'd say its going to have a fairly slow takeup. In Ireland especially - I doubt you'll be 'left out' not having NFC for the next 12 months...

very much this. if you're going for a 12 month contract i would be quietly confident this won't be an issue in Ireland. Your next handset may be a different story however

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

MoodeRator wrote: »

It says before you start the update not to have it connected and charging...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

boc121 wrote: »
    Got mine on silver upgrade on 02 from carphone warehouse €199 12 month contract unbranded and unlocked.

Should have said I got mine from an O2 store. That's probably why its Branded and Locked.

theteal wrote: »
    very much this. if you're going for a 12 month contract i would be quietly confident this won't be an issue in Ireland. Your next handset may be a different story however

Looks like new Laser/Visa debit cards are NFC enabled and due to be handed out over the next few months. With Spar and Mace etc already taking NFC payments its on the way for sure. It has a big take up in Europe and I know of one trial ongoing in a local business and one in a university so it may come in sooner than people think (even with the Irish tendencies to be late to everything!)
    As I tend to hold on to a phone for 18-24 months anyway I am really disappointed that the One S has no NFC and my only other options are One X, Xperia S or wait for SGS III but - One X is just too damn big and the Xperia S has not got the great HTC build quality and I really don’t like the Samsungs that have gone before as they seem a bit flakey.

Decisions, decisions!
    Someone please make up my mind for me

NFC laser card would be fantastic. The future can't get here soon enough....

NFC laser card would be fantastic. The future can't get here soon enough....

Looks like Bank of Ireland handing them out at the end of this month. I wonder will we get an Android app like Paywave

Alas I am with AIB. Will it be a case of being able to scan your phone ala Google Wallet or the card itself just has a NFC chip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

boc121 wrote: »
    It says not to have phone charging when updating.
    Saadyst wrote: »
    It says before you start the update not to have it connected and charging...

:mad: I could not read that small writing, I just went ahead:(

Anyone any ideas on what to do now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

There is always the possiblility of NFC enabled Sim cards too, if it starts to take off in Ireland, I am sure that the carriers would look at that as it's in their interest for you to use your phone to pay for things, then they can provide the option of you paying via your bill/top-up

Advertisement