Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Twitter is the one thing I never got into, will see what happens as is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

So last night I wiped my phone in preparation for sending it to SBE. After reading the story above I'm having second thoughts.

The phone I have is in good condition, 2 hair line scratches on screen. The purple tint only appears when phone gets hot.

I'm thinking I will just keep it at this stage.

nedd wrote: »
    So last night I wiped my phone in preparation for sending it to SBE. After reading the story above I'm having second thoughts.

The phone I have is in good condition, 2 hair line scratches on screen. The purple tint only appears when phone gets hot.

I'm thinking I will just keep it at this stage.

The majority of people who have sent off their phones to SBE have had a good experience including myself.
    Have only heard of a couple of posters who had issues. Send it off while you still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just got a prompt for an up date for Lollipop 5.0 on my One M8. I've previously rooted it and installed a custom recovery. Haven't tried installing it yet.
    Do I need to return the stock recovery before I attempt the install the new update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

The majority of people who have sent off their phones to SBE have had a good experience including myself.
    Have only heard of a couple of posters who had issues. Send it off while you still can.

Seconded. My experience with them was fine. Granted, it took longer to turn around than I'd have liked, but I got my own handset back in the same good condition that I sent it, just with the camera module replaced.

Definitely get it done now while it's still under warranty, and at least it will be worth something if you want to trade up later on.

• Advertisement

Just got a prompt for an up date for Lollipop 5.0 on my One M8. I've previously rooted it and installed a custom recovery. Haven't tried installing it yet.
    Do I need to return the stock recovery before I attempt the install the new update?

Not 100% on this, but I think you have to have stock recovery to install OTA updates. Might be worth backing up everything and trying the install. Worst case scenario, it'll hang, and you can always restore your backup. If it does work, chance are it'll break your root.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Revert to stock before installing. I believe they verify the current version of software before updating.

1jcdub wrote: »
    Revert to stock before installing. I believe they verify the current version of software before updating.
    Not 100% on this, but I think you have to have stock recovery to install OTA updates. Might be worth backing up everything and trying the install. Worst case scenario, it'll hang, and you can always restore your backup. If it does work, chance are it'll break your root.
    Any idea where I can find the stock recovery for O2 in the UK? Not sure I did a back up before I flashed the custom recovery and rooted it.

Any idea where I can find the stock recovery for O2 in the UK? Not sure I did a back up before I flashed the custom recovery and rooted it.

If you're rooted, why not just use a non branded stock firmware and recovery? Look for stock Rom with the code 401 in the software version name. That way, you'll get ota updates directly from HTC and not when O2 decide to push it. Check to see what the software number is on your current ROM. If it's something like 6.09.401.12, you're laughing. That 401 means you're on the unlocked worldwide software, and flashing stock back in there will be easy..... you don't need the O2 version. If it's not a 401 version, maybe flash a custom ROM on there that is based on that version before you revert to the 401 version of stock.

Have a look at the following link, it'll point you in the right direction

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2265618

I reverted to stock ROM and recovery last week as I'm planning on selling the phone, and tbh I don't miss root or custom ROM at all. Sense 6 with Android 443 is just about as good as android gets in my opinion.

If you're rooted, why not just use a non branded stock firmware and recovery? Look for stock Rom with the code 401 in the software version name. That way, you'll get ota updates directly from HTC and not when O2 decide to push it. Check to see what the software number is on your current ROM. If it's something like 6.09.401.12, you're laughing. That 401 means you're on the unlocked worldwide software, and flashing stock back in there will be easy..... you don't need the O2 version. If it's not a 401 version, maybe flash a custom ROM on there that is based on that version before you revert to the 401 version of stock.

Have a look at the following link, it'll point you in the right direction

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2265618

I reverted to stock ROM and recovery last week as I'm planning on selling the phone, and tbh I don't miss root or custom ROM at all. Sense 6 with Android 443 is just about as good as android gets in my opinion.

Just spotted that you're using an M8. Apologies, I missed that (rather important) bit from your post. What I said above is for the M7, but if you go to that link anyway and from there search for the equivalent for the M8, I'm sure it's just as straightforward.

• Advertisement

Checked software number, and downloaded the corresponding stock recovery.

Used the All in One Kit to reboot into bootloader. Flashed Stock recovery and then was able to install the OTA update. Took a while to install and seemed like it was hanging on the HTC One white boot screen. Was close to giving up on it. Still upgrading the apps software now but looking like it's worked.

Should I be able to flash the custom recovery and root the phone in the same way using the All in One Kit?

Used the All in One Kit to reboot into bootloader. Flashed Stock recovery and then was able to install the OTA update. Took a while to install and seemed like it was hanging on the HTC One white boot screen. Was close to giving up on it. Still upgrading the apps software now but looking like it's worked.

Should I be able to flash the custom recovery and root the phone in the same way using the All in One Kit?

Don't know why you don't just pay for s-off, and forget about all this jumping through hoops.

I haven't used that kit. I rooted mine using the cyanogenmod installer app. Very painless, practically automatic process. It does have the advantage/disadvantage of putting the CM ROM on there, but once it's rooted its very easy to replace that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

My M8 came unlocked (I think accidentally, I got it on billpay), and I like to keep it that way because i spend a lot of time in the US & UK, and I switch SIMs easily. Would my network be able to lock it via an update to Lollipop, does anyone know?

Apologies if this is an amateur question :p.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    My M8 came unlocked (I think accidentally, I got it on billpay), and I like to keep it that way because i spend a lot of time in the US & UK, and I switch SIMs easily. Would my network be able to lock it via an update to Lollipop, does anyone know?

Not sure of the ins and outs of it, but if you get lollipop as an OTA from HTC rather than from a particular network, then I can't see how an update would lock an unlocked device. My understanding is that if it's unlocked, it stays that way.

jaymcg91 wrote: »

Not sure of the ins and outs of it, but if you get lollipop as an OTA from HTC rather than from a particular network, then I can't see how an update would lock an unlocked device. My understanding is that if it's unlocked, it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Can anyone tell me what this does demoflopackageinstaller does? It's in settings, security, scroll down to advanced, apps with usage access. Only one other app is listed there, clean master. It's toggle is set to off but demoflopackageinstaller is turned on.
    Anyone know what it does? Is it a genuine android /HTC apk?
    Tks

BArra wrote: »
    im a bit annoyed to be honest, have already posted on htc ireland facebook page and sent SBE a message on facebook, funny how they have locked comments from being posted on the SBE facebook page.

have emailed HTC direct aswell and SBE of course too.

So it's taken a fair bit of complaining, but they are sending me a HTC one m8 in gold colour as that's all they have

All's well that ends well, I'll refrain overall judgement until I see the M8 though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

So it's taken a fair bit of complaining, but they are sending me a HTC one m8 in gold colour as that's all they have

All's well that ends well, I'll refrain overall judgement until I see the M8 though..

Did they tell you they only had M8's left? Could bode well for anyone else sending units back

The guy did say that because they can't repair anything in Ireland and because the M7 is end of life, they were supplied with gold M8s to send as replacements.

They have back the terrible M7 I sent back so God knows what will happen that.

He Said the M8 is box sealed but they have to open it to QC check it for network lock etc.

It should be arriving with me today so will report back the verdict

• Advertisement

So to follow up, m8 arrived. It's brand new. All's well that ends well

So to follow up, m8 arrived. It's brand new. All's well that ends well

Great news for you!

What are the chances they send that dodgy refurb out to some other poor sod?!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

I've some good news too!

After the fiasco of Fonefix refusing to honour the warranty due to too much cosmetic damage (a load of bs), I got the phone sent back to the Meteor shop, and dropped it into SBE myself last Tuesday as I was passing very closeby. The girl who took it in said to give a call Monday or Tues by which time they should have a job number for me to track it with. She advised it may take a few weeks.

Low and behold a courier arrives Friday with a brand new M7 :D
    3 DAYS turnaround!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Have the M7 over 16 months now on bill pay with meteor and probably one of the best phones I've owned. The battery in it isn't great but what large smartphone is ?

One thing that really does annoy me this is the micro usb charging port. The charging cable for these can very easily fall out, the connection only seems to slot halfway into the port making charging and using the phone quite difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Have the M7 over 16 months now on bill pay with meteor and probably one of the best phones I've owned. The battery in it isn't great but what large smartphone is ?

One thing that really does annoy me this is the micro usb charging port. The charging cable for these can very easily fall out, the connection only seems to slot halfway into the port making charging and using the phone quite difficult.

Might be worth cleaning out the port. I had a similar issue once and gave the port a good clean out one day, was a bit of a surprise how much dust/fluff was in there. It made a bit of a difference with how well the charging cable latched to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Does anyone have a fix for the Lollipop OTA WiFi Error. My m8 is rooted but I used a stock recovery and the upgrade went smoothly but now my wifi module seems to be acting up!!

Also, on a side note, is there a GPE of lollipop available, I seen some on xda but most need s-off and other requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

My text message app is taking ages to open and then when I go into a message thread it stalls for about 15 seconds, then it doesn't recognise phone numbers with the correct Contact name. Very frustrating

Friend of mine brought his phone back to Three in Drogheda and they gave him a new handset within a few days. M7. He's happy enough, due an upgrade in a few months anyway so probably jump for M9 or whatever it will be called then.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

srumball wrote:
    My text message app is taking ages to open and then when I go into a message thread it stalls for about 15 seconds, then it doesn't recognise phone numbers with the correct Contact name. Very frustrating

Backup, factory reset and restore. That sorted it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So the M9 is due to launch on March 1st - how long does it usually take for the networks to have it for sale?

Advertisement