Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADA 2013 IEC MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CianSmith85

Yeah I recently went for Garda clearance and it was returned to me because of a drink drive conviction back in 2005 it doesn't matter if criminal it has to be stated every thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tommy1975

the 2012 program is closed and the 2013 program isnt open yet, i would say you would be better going for permanent landed residency, with you having a family and all, you would qualify no prbs,, was there a couple weeks ago, and talked a little with a immigration officer in Calgary, family's looking to go over should apply for PLR as the government beleives familys will settle in canada , once one of you can get a job it should be ok, families and high valued job seekers like Dr's etc, apply this way

the IEC is for a working holiday program i dont think they expect families to apply through this, anyway check it out.

Please don't listen to this. The IEC is a solid visa, especially now that you can stay for 2 years. I brought my family over to Canada on an IEC visa (wife and 2 kids). PLR is a brilliant visa, but it can take a long time to get a PLR visa, especially from outside Canada. And it is a very in depth process. Coming over on an IEC visa gives you time to come over, get a job, get set up and then apply for a more permanent visa. It gets your foot in the door.

I've had work/holiday visas in Canada, NZ & Oz. I've had working visas in NZ, Oz & Japan. I'm well into the process of applying for PLR in Canada, and I've got each visa on my own and without any assistance, and my numbers 1 rule is "confirm everything for yourself". Visa application rules are constantly changing, and on top of that there are way too many people dispensing dodgy info. via messaging boards, etc.

Tommy1975 wrote: »

Please don't listen to this. The IEC is.......

A visa for people who see themselves returning to Ireland after the two years. Why take the place of one of them when there's an alternative you qualify for?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭misnormer

Anybody hear anything about IEC 2013 applications opening on January 2nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭archicraft

No, but i sure as hell hope its true. Where did you here it?

• Advertisement

About a month ago off some online article.This date was tied to the opening of the visa appliations for canada.

Could be wrong though.just said id put it out there and see if anyone else heard of similar to this date

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ENNE

yeah they put the conviction on my husbands clearance cert. i got a garda clearance cert issued 7/10/12 to be ready for iec 2013 in december but as its still not open yet my clearance cert will be more than 3 months old. I applied to the guards for another one and got a call yesterday from them to say they wont issue one for me as its not a year since the last one was issued. Will IEC only accept a clearance cert issued less than 3 months ago? Hopefully they will be out tomorrow am sick of waiting for them and really want to get over there and start working.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

do you need the garda cert for the intitial application or when you're actually going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

I realy hope this is the case, but when i contacted the cic about the iec they told me it would be the end of jan to the 2nd week in feb before the iec was open :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

With one quick google search I'm afraid to tell you it's a different experience class visa opening tomoro!!!i was hoping it was iec too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

krudler wrote: »
    do you need the garda cert for the intitial application or when you're actually going?
    Need it for initial application so get it ASAP so you have it ready to go when they open

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

m.j.w wrote: »
    Need it for initial application so get it ASAP so you have it ready to go when they open

Do I just ask at any garda station? how long does it usually take?

took me four days to get garda certificate from initally requesting it from the local station,Go in and fill out the form,they will ring you when its done or post it out if your in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭archicraft

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    I realy hope this is the case, but when i contacted the cic about the iec they told me it would be the end of jan to the 2nd week in feb before the iec was open :-(

When i contacted them ,by email, i got the following template style responce :

Please be advised that all the details pertaining to the changes to
    eligibility criteria, opening date, application process, as well as
    duration of work permits, will be published on our website early in 2013
    and before the initiative re-opens in order to allow applicants to
    prepare.

did you get them by phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ENNE

JustRoss23 wrote: »

Do you have a phone number for CIC? Cant contact the call centre on the website. Also has anyone seen the IEC forms on cic website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp
    I contacted IEC to see if we can apply through CIC and they advised no that no forms are available yet.

A visa for people who see themselves returning to Ireland after the two years. Why take the place of one of them when there's an alternative you qualify for?

Nonsense! You obviously know very little about the visa process. There may not be an alternative for a lot of people. For most people using the IEC allows them to get to Canada, get a job, establish themselves, and then use that job to apply for PR, or another longer term visa.

In my situation I couldn't get a company to take a risk on me while I was unemployed in Ireland, therefore I wasn't eligible for PR. The IEC program allowed me to come to Canada, get a job, show my company what I was about, and that has meant I'm now eligible to apply for PR. The IEC program can be seen as a gateway visa, the CIC certainly think so too because it's now lasts for 2 years, and you are also allowed to bring your family with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

SeaSlacker wrote: »
    Fine, it worked for you when other visas wouldn't.

Why say the IEC is the only visa in town? There's a limited number of these visas available, and if someone had turned around and told you "sorry, we're full" wouldn't you be p*ssed off with someone who could have used an alternative taking up your place?

I say if you have the requirements for other visas, get them. If you don't, then look at IEC. There's people who are going to use these for their once intended purpose, a Canadian experience for 2 years, who are going to be pushed aside by the "Outta my way I'm outta here"s. Let's keep that number to a minimum.
    It's first come first served, which is the fairest way to do it, much better off giving it to hard working ambitious people then someone who wants to flute about in the snow

slaine27 wrote: »
    ...i would say you would be better going for permanent landed residency, with you having a family and all, you would qualify no prbs,, was there a couple weeks ago, and talked a little with a immigration officer in Calgary, family's looking to go over should apply for PLR as the government beleives familys will settle in canada...
    Why say the IEC is the only visa in town?

I didn't say IEC is the only visa in town. I made a comment against Slaine27 who said that the IEC isn't for families. It is for families, as much as anyone else. For most families it might be the only option. There seems to this idea with a lot of people in Ireland that they just hand out visas to anyone. This isn’t the case. The visa process is very involved, particularly in Canada.

To give you an example my English work colleague has been married to a Canadian woman the last 7 years, they have 2 kids together, it took him 10 months to get his visa. I also have an Irish work colleague, he was offered a job by my company only on the grounds he could get the IEC visa first, they said they couldn't wait the potential 2 years it might take to get PR. My company that is voted in the top 50 companies in Canada see the IEC as a proper and legitimate way to get yourself established and working in Canada while waiting to apply for PR. The PR process can take up to 2+ years. And most people aren't entitled to apply for PR without a job offer.

It seems to me SeaSlacker that you know very little about the visa process. I also get the feeling you might be being a little disingenuous. Are you hoping to apply for IEC this year? I get the impression you want less people to apply for IEC and apply for a different visa not because it’s better for them but because it’s better for you. The less people who apply for IEC the more chance SeaSlacker has of getting an IEC visa in 2013

...but I still think anyone who'd do IEC instead of the other way *without* trying the other way as a lazy chancer...

Once you meet all the criteria you are more than entitled to apply for the IEC program. You are not a chancer. For most people and families this is the only legitimate route into Canada.

There are other options for some e.g. A lot of trades people can come to Alberta through the AIT/LMO route. But does that mean we should pour scorn every tradesman who comes to Alberta on an IEC. I think not, if you meet the criteria and are eligible to apply, and you feel it is the best option for you, go for it.

The CIC intends the IEC program to be a legitimate route for young people, and families, to establish themselves in Canada. But as I said earlier when it comes to visas my numbers 1 rule is "confirm everything for yourself". Find out what is best for you.

BTW SeaSlacker I’m entitled to apply for IEC again this year but I won’t as CIC has now opened up a bridging visa for people like me who are waiting for a decision on their Provincial Nominee PR applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm applying for the IEC, as it seems the most straight forward to apply for. My plan is to (if I get it) work in the same area I'm working in now, then I'll either get a chance to stay on in Canada or I come home in a year/two years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'm applying for the IEC, as it seems the most straight forward to apply for. My plan is to (if I get it) work in the same area I'm working in now, then I'll either get a chance to stay on in Canada or I come home in a year/two years....

What area of work are you in seachto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

zweton wrote: »
    What area of work are you in seachto?

Online Marketing. I would have technical writing/technical editing experience as well, but have been in online (PPC & SEO) for the last 5 years.
    I speak French too, so maybe should be heading for Montreal. Hopefully heading to a buddy in Vancouver. I would imagine I'd have better chances for my type of work in Toronto or Montreal, but not sure I would be able to hack the harsh winters.....I won't rule them out though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Y2Gray1895

Hi guys.

I live in Fairview for the past few months now but before that I've lived in Blanch for most of my life. Should I apply to Clontarf or Blanchardstown station for the cert? Just because I would still consider Blanchardstown to be my local station and that's where most of the checking will be done but the Garda website states, the local station where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Folks, stick to the topic of "When to Apply for 2013 IEC Visa".
    Enough with this pros/cons of the IEC, this thread is not what this is about.
    Fair warning has been given to both of ye now so it ends here.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

Y2Gray1895 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I live in Fairview for the past few months now but before that I've lived in Blanch for most of my life. Should I apply to Clontarf or Blanchardstown station for the cert? Just because I would still consider Blanchardstown to be my local station and that's where most of the checking will be done but the Garda website states, the local station where you live.

Go to your local i think and if i remember you just put on the form were you lived and they do the rest but if you just go in and ask them they will tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Y2Gray1895

slim1919 wrote: »
    Go to your local i think and if i remember you just put on the form were you lived and they do the rest but if you just go in and ask them they will tell you

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

Y2Gray1895 wrote: »
    Many thanks

no bother if you need to know anything else give us a shout and if i know i will help i know i few good websites that have been great for me

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

Anyone know does the new IEC visa automtically cover you for 2 years or is there an option for 12months? The reason Im asking is because I was going to apply through visafirst.com and they are charging 230 for 1 yr visa and 350 for 2 year visa!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

ladybird23 wrote: »
    Anyone know does the new IEC visa automtically cover you for 2 years or is there an option for 12months? The reason Im asking is because I was going to apply through visafirst.com and they are charging 230 for 1 yr visa and 350 for 2 year visa!

There is no one year visa any more.

You'll be best of booking it yourself through the IEC. You are paying visa first to fill out forms for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

Tonto86 wrote: »

There is no one year visa any more.

You'll be best of booking it yourself through the IEC. You are paying visa first to fill out forms for you.

Thanks was thinking it was 2 years but couldnt understand why they had a seperate charge for a 1 year visa and a 2 years!

Out of interest are most people applying for visa themselves or through something like visa first?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement