Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Not really festive viewing but I highly recommend the documentary "the bridge". It tells the story of various people that have or tried to end their life by jumping off the golden gate bridge. It includes footage of the actual attempts and interviews with family and friends. Very poignant and moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Just watched Humboldt County, gotta say its a really good movie, check it out if you can, about a very uptight medical student who discovers an alternate lifestyle in California along with some really humble personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The West Wing is on US Netflix now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Separate threads for film & TV
    Take this waltz by Sarah polley featuring Seth rogen and Michelle Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just noticed "Girls with Low Self Esteem" from Arrested Development was added recently on US Netflix. Turns out they've added a bunch of fake shows/movies that were mentioned in Arrested Development in the past which just link to the episode where it's mentioned.

Pretty amusing, obviously the beginning of marketing for the forthcoming new series.

http://jezebel.com/5970014/netflix-sort-of-releases-les-cousins-dangereux-girls-with-low-self+esteem-and-other-arrested-development-favorites

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Sertus

Any chance could should start a thread for Irish netflix, most of the chat here is for US netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Sertus wrote: »
    Any chance could should start a thread for Irish netflix, most of the chat here is for US netflix.

Why have a weekend in Courtown when you could have a fortnight in the Seychelles for the same price? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Been meaning to watch this for donkeys years, nows my chance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

krudler wrote: »

Me too. Watched the first episode last night and the presidents entrance is a classic. I actually had my brand new Raiders of the Lost Ark blu ray in the PS3 ready to play but watched The West Wing instead:confused:

krudler wrote: »

Same here, in the first two episodes the characters are so unlikable I wasn't going to bother, but then after watching 3 and now 4 I'm really getting into it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The West Wing addiction will set in quickly - it's a show to really gorge on.

Just watch out for the nasty Season 5 and the departure of Aaron Sorkin. Never seen a show take such a massive quality dive (although 'The Supremes' is one of the show's best episodes). Luckily it establishes a new and effective identity in season six and seven.

This has come up before, and we don't see any need to start another recommendations thread (there's overlap between this and 'what have you watched recently' already). As long as the country is flagged correctly, I don't see any problem. More posters starting to proactively recommending stuff from the Irish catalogue would be a postive step :)

More posters starting to proactively recommending stuff from the Irish catalogue would be a positive step :)

That's where I coming from. I stopped using this thread because of it, and I imagine its off putting to other Irish Netflix users as well.

The vast majority of recommendations here are for US netflix. Now, I've no problem with people who hack US netflix or live in the USA, that's their own personal choice/morality. I don't live in the USA and I prefer to stay honest about it, and that's my own personal choice/morality. I'm just saying the people who would prefer to use Irish netflix, would prefer not having to wade through US netflix recommendations to find a few Irish ones. Look rather than start any conflict here, I'll just open an Irish Netflix thread.

That's where I coming from. I stopped using this thread because of it, and I imagine its off putting to other Irish Netflix users as well.

The vast majority of recommendations here are for US netflix. Now, I've no problem with people who hack US netflix or live in the USA, that's their own personal choice/morality. I don't live in the USA and I prefer to stay honest about it, and that's my own personal choice/morality. I'm just saying the people who would prefer to use Irish netflix, would prefer not having to wade through US netflix recommendations to find a few Irish ones. Look rather than start any conflict here, I'll just open an Irish Netflix thread.

There is no question of morality or honesty involved. Bypassing the region restriction is completely legal and Netflix couldn't give a damn about their customers doing so. They could easily stop it but recognise that it's a massive revenue stream for them.

Just so you know Johnny is a mod and as such when he says there is no need for a thread you take that as gospel. Going ahead and opening a thread when you were told not to means it may got locked rather quickly.

"hack" netflix? there's no hacking involved its a simple numbers change, netflix know well that people do it too, the US one is far better anyway

Just watch out for the nasty Season 5 and the departure of Aaron Sorkin. Never seen a show take such a massive quality dive (although 'The Supremes' is one of the show's best episodes). Luckily it establishes a new and effective identity in season six and seven.

Did you watch any of The Newsroom? watched the first few episodes but it didn't seem to know what it wanted to be, and the usage of real life news stories was odd, became all shoulda coulda woulda about real life events.

Sorkin's stuff his hit and miss, he re-uses his own dialogue constantly and everyone talks like they're reading from a script, you'd never get a real life situation where so many people in one place have razor sharp wit and verbosity :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

We've had this discussion before, and really we just don't want the forum getting clogged up with recommendations threads. Netflix is just a service provider at the end of the day, and recommendations - Irish or US - are going to be available elsewhere if you want to track down the films in question.

Again, as long as the recommendations are clearly flagged as Irish, US or whatever, I really cannot see the need for two threads when one will suffice. It's just too messy, and since there's only limited discussion potential in the threads, we'd prefer to encourage threads with more room for debate.

As I said, I've no issue with those who want to excuse their access to US Netflix, that's their own issue, but there should be an alternative for people who don't want to go down that route. Anyways, clearly any discussions, questions or threads by people who want to stay above board is not welcome here, so i'll leave you to your activities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Johnny The Fox

As I said, I've no issue with those who want to excuse their access to US Netflix, that's their own issue, but there should be an alternative for people who don't want to go down that route. Anyways, clearly any discussions, questions or threads by people who want to stay above board is not welcome here, so i'll leave you to your activities.

Get off your high horse big boy!

This has come up before, and we don't see any need to start another recommendations thread (there's overlap between this and 'what have you watched recently' already). As long as the country is flagged correctly, I don't see any problem. More posters starting to proactively recommending stuff from the Irish catalogue would be a postive step :)

Of course I was aware of its huge reputation but probably missed it on tv back in the days before easy recording and access and only seen a 3rd season episode and thought there's no point in watching it because I missed the first two seasons, but yeah of course its great once you get into it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just saw this on their twitter feed, probably watch that after The Wire

What device are you using to watch netflix?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nobody's excusing anything, its a service I pay for. It's freely advertised across the internet on the likes of facebook etc. Frankly I don't see why anyone wouldn't use it, but if you don't want to thats your choice.

Besides, there's plenty of films recommended on Irish Netflix on this thread. I only have to go back two pages to see about 12 film recommendations directly to you.

This has come up a number of times before, as long as people say which version a particular programme is on its not an issue, all comments are welcome here but judging people over petty shˆte like DNS's isnt.

Actually, we take great pains to ensure this forum is extremely anti-piracy, and are always encouraging legitimate means of film viewing. If you want to recommend films here from Irish Netflix, I honestly fail to see what's stopping you? There's hundreds of posts in this very thread doing just that.

Anyway, everyone let's get back on topic please. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Back to Movies Netflix Ireland. I watched Act of Valour a movie made with real Navy Seals. Sadly it is very bad even for a B movie.

I've deleted the last few off-topic posts. Recommendations (and discussion of the recommended films / TV shows) only from here on out please, as is the thread's purpose. Cheers

Back to Movies Netflix Ireland. I watched Act of Valour a movie made with real Navy Seals. Sadly it is very bad even for a B movie.

Not to mention horrible, pro military propaganda.

I tried to watch The Story Of Film, it looks really interesting, but that guy narrating it is horrendous, that drawling Nordie accent is beyond irritating, turned it off after a few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Really like Netflix, which highly recommend in iFunia blog for watching movies on iPad, recently it appear error 139 sometime, but sometimes it works fine. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Enjoyed young adult on us Netflix. Charlize theron Patton oswalt Written by Diablo Cody.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    Enjoyed young adult on us Netflix. Charlize theron Patton oswalt Written by Diablo Cody.

I quite enjoyed that, depsite my abject hatred of Cody's scriptwriting, Theron and Oswalt are both excellent in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement