Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

krudler wrote: »
    I tried to watch The Story Of Film, it looks really interesting, but that guy narrating it is horrendous, that drawling Nordie accent is beyond irritating, turned it off after a few mins

Well worth watching, the best television history of film ever, I discovered a load of amazing stuff I had never heard of, personally I didn't mind his accent because the content was so stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well worth watching, the best television history of film ever, I discovered a load of amazing stuff I had never heard of, personally I didn't mind his accent because the content was so stunning.

He just sounds so boooring, least guys like Mark Kermode seem interested in what they're narrating.

Separate threads for film & TV
    I tried to watch The Story Of Film, it looks really interesting, but that guy narrating it is horrendous, that drawling Nordie accent is beyond irritating, turned it off after a few mins

He takes a bit of getting used to but beleive me any film fan is in for a treat if they keep going with it.

He takes a bit of getting used to but beleive me any film fan is in for a treat if they keep going with it.

I watched some of the 70's episode and it was like Daniel O'Donnell was talking about Taxi Driver. "Hare's wee Travis Bickle"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Jeff, Who lives at Home on U.S Netflix now. Personally thought this was a great little film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nocoverart wrote: »
    Jeff, Who lives at Home on U.S Netflix now. Personally thought this was a great little film.

The Duplasses other recent release (although made several years ago) The Do-Deca-Pentathlon has also been added. I preferred it to Jeff... - it's a very small and straightforward film, but endearing because of it. My only major issue with it is the wife character being underwritten, but otherwise a fun and effective little film about two middle-aged, estranged brothers getting involved in a ludicrous sporting competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

sweetie wrote: »
    Enjoyed young adult on us Netflix. Charlize theron Patton oswalt Written by Diablo Cody.

A couple of people I know enjoyed it too, so I think I am in the minority but just didn't like it. I'm not a fan of Theron though, so maybe I didn't give it a chance and watched it expecting not to like it.

Decided to give The Story Of Film a chance, its great, despite the narration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I watched Galaxy Quest on the Canadian Netflix the other night. I'd always heard it was good and it was. Super smart parody of Star Trek.

I watched Galaxy Quest on the Canadian Netflix the other night. I'd always heard it was good and it was. Super smart parody of Star Trek.

Love that movie, really funny

• Advertisement

nocoverart wrote: »

Enjoyable enough though it felt more like a slightly longer episode of a TV show than a film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I just went to fire up Netflix on my PS3 and got presented with yet another stupid update. 10 minutes have passed and it's still installing. I just want to watch a film FFS! I'm getting really tired of this crap! Why do Sony have make everything so awkward?

I'm getting an AppleTV soon just for the Netflix functionality. I can't abide using the PS3 for anything but PS3 gaming exclusives.

/rant

Decided to give The Story Of Film a chance, its great, despite the narration

Knew you would, irresistible to film buffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Irish netflix recommendations.

In the heat of the night. Sidney Poitier classic.

Loads of ch 4 comedies, like the inbetweeners, teachers, green wing.

Princess bride. Classic fantasy comedy.

Grosse Pointe Blank, brilliant John Cusack film.

Bottle Rocket is on there too, my favourite Wes Anderson film.

Might be a dearth of newer releases but still loads to watch on Irish Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Looks like we had a big update on the Irish Netflix.

Just watch a documentary called "Modify" from 2005.

A no Holes Barred look in body modification ...Bloody hell I am a physical wreck after watching it :eek:

Red Lights, The Devil Inside and Iron Sky are on the US one now, might give Iron Sky a watch looks fun

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Dexter seasons 3 to 6 have just turned up, as has apparently all of MacGyver.

I see tonight that a good few films are marked on the Irish system that they will not be available after Jan 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Where do you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

It seems the Netflix original series, House of Cards with Kevin Spacey will be arriving on the UK/Ireland catalogue at the same time as the US, on February 1st.

Started watching 30 Days on the US Netflix last night. I'm enjoying it, it's pretty interesting. It's a series from Morgan Spurlock (from Supersize Me) that puts people into completely different situations then they are used to, like a Christian into a Muslim, homophobe into a gay community etc for 30 days and see how they adapt. Pretty interesting and worth a look.

• Advertisement

I am using the Samsung Smart TV app , I have not seen the available end date highlighted before until today. Maybe an agreement with a certain film studio has ended or a major update happens after Jan 5th ?

Some Examples of those films ending Jan 5th :under Cult Films
    Videodrome
    The Princess Bride
    Dune
    Tron
    Dazed and Confused

Films previously marked as "HD" are now marked "SUPERHD". No discernible difference in quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Films previously marked as "HD" are now marked "SUPERHD". No discernible difference in quality?

I read recently that they had gotten rid of the "X-High HD" quality marker (which can be seen when you press select on PS3) and just changed it to "High HD" as they are using a new codec which allows them to stream 1080p at a lower bitrate then before: http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/08/netflix-1080p-streams-no-longer-called-x-high-company-credits-i/

Whether this has any correlation to that I don't know, I've yet to see it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

was browsing www.instantwatcher.com looks like quite a few new titles added to US netflix

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

shortys94 wrote: »
    was browsing www.instantwatcher.com looks like quite a few new titles added to US netflix

I've not seen Superman vs the Elite but Justice League: Doom, Batman Year One & Under the Red Hood & All Star Superman are all pretty good.

"Everything Or Nothing: The Untold Story of 007" on Flix US now, haven't seen it but will give it a look later.

"Everything Or Nothing: The Untold Story of 007" on Flix US now, haven't seen it but will give it a look later.

Good doc that, very candid in places. I never knew Lazenby basically blagged his way into the role, he wasn't even an actor just decided he could be James Bond. Moore is his usual funny self and there's a hilarious part where Brosnan is in stiches laughing at how sh1te Die Another Day was, excellent stuff for any Bond fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Could anyone tell me if Psycho is on Netflix or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Is the US Netflix down for anyone at the minute? I can't log on for love nor money using a PS3.

• Advertisement

Daemos wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me if Psycho is on Netflix or not?

Its just on Brazilian one, along with some of Hitch's other greats (Vertigo, The Birds, Rear Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much and To Catch A Thief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement