Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

Delighted to see HFTWP being added to Netflix. I plan on watching it a dozen more times.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

Fresh Meat is A++++

Jack Reacher is decent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Separate threads for film & TV
    Delighted to see HFTWP being added to Netflix. I plan on watching it a dozen more times.

Really looking forward to seeing this, I have a bit or a soft spot for NZ movies!! The humour in them always cracks me up, and they are usually more hit than miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

gucci wrote: »
    Really looking forward to seeing this, I have a bit or a soft spot for NZ movies!! The humour in them always cracks me up, and they are usually more hit than miss.

It is great, enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

When's it being added?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It wasn't even her, body double.

The last positive of the movie GONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Netflix's first Brazilian original series, 3%, came out today, along with new Gilmore Girls episodes.

Incidentally, Netflix appears to be including German, French, Spanish and Polish audio and subtitles in Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

The Clouds of Sils Maria - really loved this. Binoche and Stewart were amazing together - so much chemistry. I even liked Chloe Moretz who i usually find irritating. Kristen Stewart is leaving Twilight truly in the dust. Her next movie with Assayas looks so good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hghXP4F3Qs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

pixelburp wrote: »
    Counterpoint; Under the Skin felt like a gallery installation masquerading as a feature-film, full of dragged-out, protracted shots begging the viewer to find some meaning in them because we were all stuck here for the next hour or so, and what narrative was there was vaporous at best; all of which intermingled with scenes of Scarlet Johansson driving a van around the drearier parts of Glasgow. I suspect looking vacant and bored was not a stretch for Johansson's talents; we all wear that face on the bus every morning, sticking a Mica Levi over it doesn't make it intriguing ;)

Part of me gets why it became something of a cult darling, and it wasn't without merit (the beach scene was arresting & pretty brutal in its own way before that shoulder-shrug narrative took over), but the other part of me rails against the waxing lyrical about something so aggressively intangible & irrelevant; the source material this film was based on, while a crude, blunt satire, sounded infinitely more interesting than what was adapted :)

TL:DR? Not for everyone, and avoid if you like a modicum of pacing or narrative. If you find withholding interesting, go for it.

I totally get that Under The Skin isn't for everyone, but for me it was one of the best films I've seen in years.

It's very hard to put my finger on it exactly though, but there's a coldness and a distance about it that really freaked me out. I was also fascinated by what exactly was going on and where it was going. The ending was horrible too.

I also have friends who watched it and just shrugged their shoulders .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Green Room is highly, highly recommended. From the same guy that made Blue Ruin. Not for the faint hearted though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Dirty Grandpa is pretty funny film and I just love big momma house like Father like son. Such an enjoyable and funny film. Big Momma is one cool woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

offline mode coming to the ios and android app from today/now

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/30/netflix-offline-video-download/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's a decent selection too for downloading, can't see how long they stay off line for?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 June1992

peteeeed wrote: »
    offline mode coming to the ios and android app from today/now

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/30/netflix-offline-video-download/

So all content is viewable without WiFi now?

June1992 wrote: »
    So all content is viewable without WiFi now?

No, only some content is downloadable at the moment.

Also if you go to the website you can filter content by audio and subtitles in Ireland now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would be nice if they updated the app that's run on various "smart" TVs. The one running on our Samsung is pretty poor, could do with some tlc

How old is the TV? The one on our Samsung is pretty good, pretty much the same as the desktop version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

3 years old, give or take, nothing prehistoric and presumably all Samsung smart tvs use the same internal app store anyway.

Their operating systems can vary slightly and they can stop rolling out app updates as newer models are released. PITA that they don't keep all versions similar, maybe it's by design rather than software or hardware limitations.

This would be an older version
    SamsungNF4.jpg

while this is how mine would look
    samsunghu9000_large10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,935 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They actually downgraded the Ps4 one in my opinion. Once you could change audio, subtitles etc while the item was still playing, now it looks like a mobile app. You've also lost the ability to check the picture quality by pressing the options button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'm not seeing anything new about downloading on my phone??

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You've downloaded the latest version? Along menu that appears from the left, where you can select the categories you should see near the top an available to download one.

The RTÉ show Clean Break is now available http://www.netflix.com/title/80144770

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You've downloaded the latest version? Along menu that appears from the left, where you can select the categories you should see near the top an available to download one.

Re downloaded the app and all seems to be working, perfect.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Occono wrote: »
    The RTÉ show Clean Break is now available http://www.netflix.com/title/80144770

Anyone watch it on telly. Any use?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Synode wrote: »
    Anyone watch it on telly. Any use?

I watched the first episode but couldn't get into it. Didn't go back for more.

With download available have I anyway of getting it onto a TV in a house without Internet?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Divines is on all netflix regions I think. Its a French coming of gang story of 2 girls running with a female gangster (One of the leads in the excellent Girlhood) . The story is not ground breaking, but its fresh , gritty,exciting and very much recommended.

An interview with the female director who is French-Moroccan who is pretty fiery and definitely someone to keep an eye on.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/nov/10/divines-director-houda-benyamina-its-better-to-make-a-film-than-a-bomb

Trailer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've started watching Marseille tonight.

I don't know what to make of it. It's vaguely interesting but it seems quite poorly made? It's badly edited or directed, or both. Some of the shots are very poor, like someone messing around with different ways of shooting scenes, the random sex scenes thrown in every 5 minutes for no reason, the overly dramatic loud music etc. etc.

Also the guy playing the deputy mayor looks like Sean Penn with a lemon in his mouth.

I'll probably keep watching though.

• Advertisement

The following shows are scheduled to leave Irish Netflix by the end of the month: Damages, Chuck, The 4400, Downton Abbey, House MD, Jericho, Charmed.

The TV3 series Jack Taylor was added recently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement