Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Separate threads for film & TV
    How can you tell when and which TV shows are leaving? My List got halved a few months ago when a load of stuff vanished.

I use Unogs.com.

A lot of ITV shows were added to the UK but not Irish Netflix recently. Not sure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Fysh wrote: »
    I thought it was decent enough, as far as sci-fi-tinted action is concerned. Apart from anything else, someone took a bit of time to make the bits of physics mentioned in thr film internally consistent, which is a welcome change from the usual standard of saying "unobtainium" or such.

It's hardly intellectually demanding, but then again the trailer makes that very clear too.

Yeah, I enjoyed it for what it was - a well made sci-fi b movie. Like yourself, I appreciated that whoever wrote it was smart enough to keep the story logical and consistent. Makes a change from a lot of modern sci-fi tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Occono wrote: »
    I use Unogs.com.

A lot of ITV shows were added to the UK but not Irish Netflix recently. Not sure why.

Irish station must have the rights to them.

Irish station must have the rights to them.

Well they're not on UTV Ireland, TV3 or RTÉ Player anyway. Some are shows from 2014 or so that wouldn't be airing here now. I think ITV must have just asked extra for Ireland. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,430 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well they're not on UTV Ireland, TV3 or RTÉ Player anyway. Some are shows from 2014 or so that wouldn't be airing here now. I think ITV must have just asked extra for Ireland. :/

Just because they aren't being shown doesn't mean a station doesn't have the rights to them

RTE a few year bought right to a lot of shows to stop TV3 getting and the blew them off in the early hours of the morning as they didn't have primetime slots to show them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Coming to Netflix this Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

peteeeed wrote: »
    Coming to Netflix this Friday

Link not working for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Eamondomc wrote: »
    Link not working for me.

I fixed it. Short links don't work.

Just because they aren't being shown doesn't mean a station doesn't have the rights to them

RTE a few year bought right to a lot of shows to stop TV3 getting and the blew them off in the early hours of the morning as they didn't have primetime slots to show them in.

That is pathetic and anticompetitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

That is pathetic and anticompetitive.

But sadly true, Mad men just one example. RTÉ, ridiculous tax exploitation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

The OA looks good. Big fan of Jason Isaacs aswell.

Watched the first couple of episodes of Dirk Gently. If you like the gently anarchic, space-cadet humour of Douglas Adams, it'll be a treat for you. Might annoy the bejasus out of anyone else.

I'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,936 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I actually think it's Sky who are to blame for the ITV block on Ireland. A lot of ITV Encore programmes are on Sky's Box set service.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,430 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Hip hop evolution is brilliant. Especially if you're a fan of the genre.

That was a really great few episodes hopefully they will follow up with another series bringing it up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Watched the first couple of episodes of Dirk Gently. If you like the gently anarchic, space-cadet humour of Douglas Adams, it'll be a treat for you. Might annoy the bejasus out of anyone else.

I'm really enjoying it.

finished the first series and really enjoyed it, it felt like they got the vibe of the show from watching channel 4's Brilliant Utopia

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Skerries wrote: »
    finished the first series and really enjoyed it, it felt like they got the vibe of the show from watching channel 4's Brilliant Utopia

i remember reading the novels when i was a kid and this series completely misses their good points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

I'm really enjoying it.

I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams, the Dirk Gently books and the TV miniseries with Stephen Mangan but finding it very tough going.

Elijah Wood is good as usual, the two detectives investigating the case are pretty good. The rest doesn't quite work or something which I think is down to Samuel Barnett as Dirk. He's more like a British Sheldon Cooper than Dirk Gently. He's not really funny, charming or convincing so its all a bit flat. The soundtrack is godawful too.

Doesn't seem to have any of the charm of the books or the original TV show either. But then again that was to be expected with a youthful American version. Hopefully it picks up a bit and Barnett grows into the role a bit more.

I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams, the Dirk Gently books and the TV miniseries with Stephen Mangan but finding it very tough going.

Elijah Wood is good as usual, the two detectives investigating the case are pretty good. The rest doesn't quite work or something which I think is down to Samuel Barnett as Dirk. He's more like a British Sheldon Cooper than Dirk Gently. He's not really funny, charming or convincing so its all a bit flat. The soundtrack is godawful too.

Doesn't seem to have any of the charm of the books or the original TV show either. But then again that was to be expected with a youthful American version. Hopefully it picks up a bit and Barnett grows into the role a bit more.

I had only read some of the Hitchhiker books and never read or watch any Dirk Gently before so I had no frame of reference for him. Maybe if I did, I'd be disappointed by this series. I am enjoying it though and looking forward to seeing how it all ties together. I always like Elijah Wood in programmes - he was great in Wilfred. I don't see Sheldon Cooper in Samuel Barnett at all and I really enjoy his 'just along for the ride' portrayal - again, maybe if I had another frame of reference for Dirk, it would stick in my craw. I'm only on episode 4 where they were revealing a little of his past and I thought that was well handled. I'll probably get the whole thing finished this weekend so I'll let you know what I think when it's finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

finally got around to Peaky Blinders. Fantastic.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Assumed everyone was talking about the one with Stephen Mangan as Dirk, hadn't even realised there was an american one out.

• Advertisement

I did'nt know there was another Dirk Gently TV series. Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Agreed - had to turn off the first episode after 15 minutes as Dirk is so annoying

Agreed - had to turn off the first episode after 15 minutes as Dirk is so annoying

Was Dirk even in the first 15 minutes of the first episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Was Dirk even in the first 15 minutes of the first episode?

Don't think he was, Knew nothing about Dirk Gently before watching the first episode. It fairly hooks ya, lot of stuff goin on will be interesting to see how it ties together.

Dirk is terribly annoying tho, that yellow leather jacket wtf, is he an accurate depiction of what's in the books?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dirk is terribly annoying tho, that yellow leather jacket wtf, is he an accurate depiction of what's in the books?
    They have some things down pat - in the books, for example, he was kicked out of university after he sold a fake exam paper that by total coincidence turned out to be exactly the same as the real one. It's been a long time since I read the book so my memory of him is less zany, but I recall more of a low-rent con artist than the new show's gormless imbecile.

I don't really like the secret government program angle. It feels like US TV scriptwriting by numbers.
    ...lot of stuff goin on will be interesting to see how it ties together...
    The nice thing about Dirk Gently is that, unlike Lost, the whole point is that there is an explanation, however unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The download option is a brilliant addition, really came in handy for me last weekend when I was doing a lot of travelling. The last kingdom series is pretty good.

mikhail wrote: »
    They have some things down pat - in the books, for example, he was kicked out of university after he sold a fake exam paper that by total coincidence turned out to be exactly the same as the real one. It's been a long time since I read the book so my memory of him is less zany, but I recall more of a low-rent con artist than the new show's gormless imbecile.

I don't really like the secret government program angle. It feels like US TV scriptwriting by numbers.

The nice thing about Dirk Gently is that, unlike Lost, the whole point is that there is an explanation, however unlikely.

Gently definitely wasn't a Rik Mayall cast off charecter like this TV show presents him

The whole thing reeks of Americans making their usual balls of good source material.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Bambi wrote:
    The whole thing reeks of Americans making their usual balls of good source material.

I think it was written by Max Landis, you should follow him on Twitter. Very insightful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Don't think he was, Knew nothing about Dirk Gently before watching the first episode. It fairly hooks ya, lot of stuff goin on will be interesting to see how it ties together.

He's nothing like he was in the books. Which was an unkempt, portly private detective in a red hat who spent a lot of time dodging bills because he never got paid.

The previous British show didn't quite get it either with Stephen Mangan as far as the look but he was genuinely funny in his oddness and believable as a poor man's private eye.

Not even sure what this guy is supposed to be. Looks like a well dressed upper class English kid fresh out of college. Certainly a very different take on the character.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Not even sure what this guy is supposed to be. Looks like a well dressed upper class English kid fresh out of college. Certainly a very different take on the character.

that would be the Sherlock effect. all characters from Britain are like that now. Well dressed, well spoken, etc etc etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement