Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Separate threads for film & TV
    The Babadook leaves today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Occono wrote: »
    The Babadook leaves today.

It's on Film four this week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

River was added today. Really brilliant series from BBC last year. Stellan Skarsgard stars as a police detective in London who is "haunted" by the dead.
    I wasn't sure when I read about this whether it was a supernatural type thing, which sounded a bit silly, but I was happy to discover it's not. It's about grief and mental health and loneliness and lots of other stuff too.

I'd put it up there with Happy Valley as one of the best things BBC has done of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd put it up there with Happy Valley as one of the best things BBC has done of late.

Really enjoyed Happy Valley so I'm now looking forward to this one also, thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just finished The Crown. A brilliant, compulsive drama that seems to give an accurate account of what it was like in 'The Firm'.

Loved John Lithgow as Winston Churchill.

Hated that virtually every room shown throughout the series was bigger than my house!

I can believe it was the most expensive television programme ever, can't wait for the next installment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

River was added today. Really brilliant series from BBC last year. Stellan Skarsgard stars as a police detective in London who is "haunted" by the dead.
    I wasn't sure when I read about this whether it was a supernatural type thing, which sounded a bit silly, but I was happy to discover it's not. It's about grief and mental health and loneliness and lots of other stuff too.

Gave the first episode a shot. Heartbreaking, really.

Gave the first episode a shot. Heartbreaking, really.

Yeah, it's not exactly the most uplifting of shows but really high quality from all departments. Acting, writing, direction, music choices :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah, it's not exactly the most uplifting of shows but really high quality from all departments. Acting, writing, direction, music choices :D

I'm liking it a lot so far

• Registered Users Posts: 60,429 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix have added a request a film/show page to the website.

https://help.netflix.com/en/titlerequest

What if I've already submitted a request for a title?

If you've already submitted a request for a title, you can sit back and relax - we've received your feedback and there's nothing more for you to do. We keep track of all requests from our members, so there's no need to request a title more than once.

So what happens now? Well, if we add a new TV show or movie that we think you'll enjoy, we'll keep you posted. And if you're curious about new titles coming to Netflix, you can follow us on social media. Want to know what's happening behind the scenes? Check out How does Netflix get TV shows and movies to stream online?. Thanks for your suggestion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Last Chance U

Remarkably like Friday Night Lights, so a must for fans of that show. Great characters, compelling viewing.

It let me to Trophy Kids which is harrowing! Some of the scariest parents this side of Austria.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It let me to Trophy Kids which is harrowing! Some of the scariest parents this side of Austria.

Yeah, the parents were OTT. One of the kids is also in the Short Game which is about golf prodigies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 June1992

November was a very bleak lineup on Netflix, let's hope it does better in December. It's sometimes hard to justify the subscription since they blocked VPNs to jump regions.

In the New Year we'll have new House Of Cards, Master Of None and new Fargo and Better Call Saul weekly. But until then?

I might well unsubscribe till February or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PatrickLeamy

Hey guys! I just started a movie review blog for college and I am graded on interaction such as likes and comments. I would really appreciate it if you could give it a look and give me some feedback, thanks . I cant post a link here but if you google wordpress moviemeal you will find it.
    Staying on topic 2 ilms I would recommend from netflix are fruitvale station and Waffle Street. 2 very different true stories. Waffle street is an easy and uplifting watch where as fruitvale station is a look into the life of black americans today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

June1992 wrote: »
    November was a very bleak lineup on Netflix, let's hope it does better in December. It's sometimes hard to justify the subscription since they blocked VPNs to jump regions.

In the New Year we'll have new House Of Cards, Master Of None and new Fargo and Better Call Saul weekly. But until then?

I might well unsubscribe till February or so.

Looking at Vodzilla.co, it's a pretty decent line up for December. Green Room is on the list - a great film.

Looking at Vodzilla.co, it's a pretty decent line up for December. Green Room is on the list - a great film.

Anomalisa, Bone Tomahawk, Tale of Tales, A Most Violent Year, On The Waterfront are all coming in December. Not a whole lot else from the list I'm seeing. Didn't see Green Room on there either.

Anomalisa, Bone Tomahawk, Tale of Tales, A Most Violent Year, On The Waterfront are all coming in December. Not a whole lot else from the list I'm seeing. Didn't see Green Room on there either.

It's coming 27th December. Looking forward to all of the above. Want to see Dirk Gently, the second season of the Detectorists, Medici - Masters of Florence, the Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Little Men and the Daughter. Eddie the Eagle is a good laugh for the family as well.

It's coming 27th December. Looking forward to all of the above. Want to see Dirk Gently, the second season of the Detectorists, Medici - Masters of Florence, the Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Little Men and the Daughter. Eddie the Eagle is a good laugh for the family as well.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Eddie the Eagle weren't on the list I saw either! Going from your list December looks pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Eddie the Eagle weren't on the list I saw either! Going from your list December looks pretty decent.

They are on it, its a decent list right enough, but a lot of stuff I never heard of.
    I've seen bone tomahawk, pretty violent and gory!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,429 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Also coming in December both these sites name Netflix UK so I would guess most if not all will be in Ireland as well.

Netflix UK Acquires Syfy’s ‘Van Helsing’ & Frank Spotnitz’s New Series ‘Medici: Masters Of Florence’

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/11/netflix-uk-acquires-syfys-van-helsing-frank-spotnitzs-new-series-medici-masters-florence/

Barry, Trollhunters, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Anomalisa, Bone Tomahawk and White Girl, Fifty Shades of Black,
    Into the Woods, Ender's Game

https://www.list.co.uk/article/86540-new-on-netflix-uk-december-2016/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, and it must be rectified if not: Under the Skin, one of the most artfully crafted films of recent years, has recently become available to bewitch and disturb those lucky enough to have not encountered it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, and it must be rectified if not: Under the Skin, one of the most artfully crafted films of recent years, has recently become available to bewitch and disturb those lucky enough to have not encountered it yet.

Watched it.

Consider myself fairly open-minded.

Thought it was poor.

Bar the obvious natural male delight at seeing scarjo nakid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Thought it was an incredible film, stayed with me for a long, long time afterwards.
    noodler wrote: »
    Watched it.

Consider myself fairly open-minded.

Thought it was poor.

Bar the obvious natural male delight at seeing scarjo nakid.

Meh, there was nothing sexy really about it all. And I'm a big fan of hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It wasn't even her, body double.

I thought it was all style and little substance, more like a prolonged music video rather than a feature film

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think 'style' alone is very inadequate to describe what Under the Skin does. It is a deeply formally assured film - a rare beast these days - where the cinematic language is deeply considered in order to articulate the themes and atmosphere of the film. The way it uses the camera's gaze, for example: it is often explicitly like a voyeur, capturing the alien's own perspective and uninvited intrusion into the world. If one breaks the film down into its basic plot beats, sure it's relatively straightforward - although there's few films, even exceedingly challenging ones, where that isn't the case. But the execution is anything but straightforward, thankfully, and it takes on an unusual and mysterious power by pretty much excising any exposition or direct explanations and focusing instead on pure image and sound.

Of course, experience has shown that it is indeed not a film for anybody. But hey, it's there, so I can only suggest people at least give it a go :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Counterpoint; Under the Skin felt like a gallery installation masquerading as a feature-film, full of dragged-out, protracted shots begging the viewer to find some meaning in them because we were all stuck here for the next hour or so, and what narrative was there was vaporous at best; all of which intermingled with scenes of Scarlet Johansson driving a van around the drearier parts of Glasgow. I suspect looking vacant and bored was not a stretch for Johansson's talents; we all wear that face on the bus every morning, sticking a Mica Levi over it doesn't make it intriguing ;)

Part of me gets why it became something of a cult darling, and it wasn't without merit (the beach scene was arresting & pretty brutal in its own way before that shoulder-shrug narrative took over), but the other part of me rails against the waxing lyrical about something so aggressively intangible & irrelevant; the source material this film was based on, while a crude, blunt satire, sounded infinitely more interesting than what was adapted :)

TL:DR? Not for everyone, and avoid if you like a modicum of pacing or narrative. If you find withholding interesting, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Green Room and Hunt for the Wilderpeople arriving in December. Heard good things about HFTW.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Green Room and Hunt for the Wilderpeople arriving in December. Heard good things about HFTW.

Two of the best films of the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

greenspurs wrote: »
    Would/could people , when they recommend a series/movie , give a brief description of what its about. Not too much obviously , cant spoil or give away plot lines/twists.
    I like watching programmes/movies on Netflix, and when I see people suggesting programmes to watch, personally I would like to know what its about . I wouldn't google it, as more than likely you would read about the ending/twists etc...
    Some people on here do give a brief word about what their recommendation is about, and I think that really helps. Its just a suggestion ....

Maybe if people could .... it helps :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

pixelburp wrote: »
    Counterpoint; Under the Skin felt like a gallery installation masquerading as a feature-film, full of dragged-out, protracted shots begging the viewer to find some meaning in them because we were all stuck here for the next hour or so, and what narrative was there was vaporous at best; all of which intermingled with scenes of Scarlet Johansson driving a van around the drearier parts of Glasgow. I suspect looking vacant and bored was not a stretch for Johansson's talents; we all wear that face on the bus every morning, sticking a Mica Levi over it doesn't make it intriguing ;)

Part of me gets why it became something of a cult darling, and it wasn't without merit (the beach scene was arresting & pretty brutal in its own way before that shoulder-shrug narrative took over), but the other part of me rails against the waxing lyrical about something so aggressively intangible & irrelevant; the source material this film was based on, while a crude, blunt satire, sounded infinitely more interesting than what was adapted :)

TL:DR? Not for everyone, and avoid if you like a modicum of pacing or narrative. If you find withholding interesting, go for it.

I can get really irritated by films that choose style over substance and I was well sure that this film would be the cinematic equivalent of plucking pubic hairs. I found it absolutely captivating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Saw green room in the cinema.

Can vouch for the suspense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement