Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Is there supernatural/mythological stuff in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Really enjoyed Blue Jay http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5912454/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Like Mark Duplass in most things he's in and Sarah Paulson was great in OJ and is great in this too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

This Is The Life

Added today it's one of Ava DuVernay's earlier films. It's a documentary about "The Good Life" cafe and in LA in the late 80's/early 90's. It was basically a community project set up to encourage young black people to explore hip hop as an art form and somewhat a rejection of the gangster rap style that was prevalent at the time and the lifestyle that went with it. It was basically an open mic night for rappers but they were in a vegan wholefoods style cafe for 2 hours on a Thursday night and there were rules like no swearing on stage.

It's an interesting look at an alternative side to 90's LA hip hop than the one most of us would have been presented with. There's lots of archive footage mixed in with the people involved talking about it now. If you're a hip hop fan it's probably essential viewing, if you're not it's still pretty interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Stumbled across 'people just do nothing' - a mockumentary focusing of on the mishaps of 4 West London misfits running a pirate drum n bass/garage radio station. Worth checking out it's very funny, reminds me a little of the office(a stoned version).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is there supernatural/mythological stuff in it?

There is definitely supernatural stuff goin on, mythological possibly depending on your pov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Finally got to Episode 10 of Designated Survivor. For a show that was billed as weekly release, they sometimes waited two weeks between episodes. Very frustrating!

It's all there now if you want to start it. A good, sometimes great, political suspense drama that will keep you guessing.

Apart from the erratic schedule, the other irritating things about this show are Keifer Sutherland's deep patronising tone and
    the ending that makes you wait for the next series to come out - whenever that will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finally got to Episode 10 of Designated Survivor. For a show that was billed as weekly release, they sometimes waited two weeks between episodes. Very frustrating!

It's all there now if you want to start it. A good, sometimes great, political suspense drama that will keep you guessing.

Apart from the erratic schedule, the other irritating things about this show are Keifer Sutherland's deep patronising tone and
    the ending that makes you wait for the next series to come out - whenever that will be!

It's not a Netflix show it's an American Network show and Netflix can only air it the day after it airs on American TV.

That is the US TV schedule for you very rarely does a show air weekly without breaks.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I watched Spectral over the weekend. Utter rubbish with no redeeming features at all. Avoid.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed Spectral. It wasn't anything amazing, but it had some decent set pieces (
    the attack on the power plant or the defense of the landing zone
    ) and some pretty decent visual effects. Definitely didn't think it was utter rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

The OA and Barry came out today.

Oh, and Just Shoot Me.

As the year draws to a close, what's been your favourite film/series on Netflix over the past 12 months?

Series 2 of Fargo gets it for me. The dialogue, the accents, the plot, the acting and the characters. Is there anything I missed? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

As the year draws to a close, what's been your favourite film/series on Netflix over the past 12 months?

Series 2 of Fargo gets it for me. The dialogue, the accents, the plot, the acting and the characters. Is there anything I missed? :p

Watched all of Orphan Black this year and thought it was absolutely fantastic.

I enjoyed Fargo S2 but I watched it on TV so I'd have to go with..... Stranger Things. Probably a very obvious and common answer but yeah, I'm going with Stranger Things.

Given that this is the film thread and some people get cranky about this I suppose we should mention films too :)

Off the top of my head I'd say the documentary 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Happy Valley - Season 1, fantastic series, Sarah Lancashire was amazing in it. The story and continuous recurring theme of an earlier family tragedy make it so compelling. Really enjoyed it, not one bad actor in the series at all....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Fargo season 2 or iZombie for me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Happy Valley, Fargo S2 and Stranger Things were probably the best things I've watched on it all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Making a Murderer (it came out before end of last year but I watched it in January)

This year -

Stranger Things
    Luke Cake
    Narcos S2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Rick and Morty and F is for family when I need a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

archer amazeballs :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

How could I forget Rick and Morty? I'm such a Cronenberg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

Currently watching designated survivor, great scripting and nice to see kiefer Suderland giving a steller performance again

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Rick and Morty and F is for family when I need a lift.

I was really surprised by F is for Family. Really well written!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Stranger things is up there but Love is probably the most enjoyable series I've seen on Netflix this year although there is alot I haven't seen tbh.

The Crown is another series I thought was really good. Not much comment about it here though. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Crown is another series I thought was really good. Not much comment about it here though. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Please enlighten us

I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. It came on just after Victoria finished on ITV and I wasn't in the mood for another historical look at the royal family.

Stranger things is up there but Love is probably the most enjoyable series I've seen on Netflix this year although there is alot I haven't seen tbh.

Love! Totally forgot about Love. Such a great an underrated series. Great to see Gillian Jacobs doing well again and really felt like Apatow getting back to his TV roots, like with Freaks & Geeks and Undeclared.

Just finished watching Dirk Gently and.. have to say.. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, this version of Dirk was a bit hard to get used to at the beginning, but it's a surprisingly well crafted and thought out show. Everything that happens has a purpose in some way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

Probably because it looks as appealing as the Jerremy Kyle show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Probably because it looks as appealing as the Jerremy Kyle show.

I had zero interest but the Mrs wanted to give it a spin, I thought it was one of the best shows I'd seen after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If you're wondering where the discussions about this, that or the other shows are, try the "Online TV" section on Boards.
    Luke Cage was a bit of a disappointment over all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement