Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Separate threads for film & TV
    It all depends where you're watching it, laptop layout is way better compared to a lot of smart TV or phone / tablet interfaces.

That's true, didn't think of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

What are some of the best documentaries on NF?

I watched 13th last night and have the highly rated one about the cult (the name escapes me currently) in the to view column. I'm not particularly interested in the Amanda Know one and have seen Making a Murderer.

Seen all the Attenborough and Theroux ones too.
    The Thin Blue Line and West of Memphis are worth a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

"Matt shepherd is a friend of mine" is a very good documentary, but heart wrenching stuff and deeply upsetting about a horrific murder in Wyoming which really drew attention to hate crimes against homosexuals in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

I don't mean to sound rude or sarcastic but you know you can click "Documentary" under the drop down Browse menu and get the full list of what's there?

Have it for the youngers, don't watch it much myself, I thought it was more movies and TV series. They can feck off every now and again, now that I know how diverse it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Eamondomc wrote: »
    Have it for the youngers, don't watch it much myself, I thought it was more movies and TV series. They can feck off every now and again, now that I know how diverse it is.

It's got a lot of documentaries.

Also it's pretty diverse in terms of international films.

• Advertisement

I finished Haters Back Off there this evening and I'm a bit confused by it.

I didn't hate it, obviously, I watched it all, but I'm not sure I liked it either. Tonally it's a bit of a mess.

The main character is just so painfully unlikable that it overshadows everything else. I get that she's a pre-existing character and they've developed that into this show but it makes it hard to understand how she exists in the world with the rest of the characters. Uncle Jim is bat **** crazy but he's kind of likable and given the rest of the world is supposed to be relatively normal you can buy a middle aged man whose life is a failure living in his sister's (inlaw?) house and having half arsed ideas about getting his life back on track. Miranda however is just too far out there. It makes no sense that anyone puts up with her. If they'd toned it down a bit and had Miranda be very basically talented and on a quest for fame then it could have worked as a sort of dark comedy. Or they could have had it go the other way and have the whole world of the show be a bit over the top insane. Instead they have this weird horrible central character who sort of kills everything else that could have worked about the show.

That's probably way too much thought to have given this thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I love Miranda Sings on YouTube but didn't get past episode 1 of Haters Back Off. Her random comments about her unseen uncle are hilarious as you try and fill in the blanks yourself. But having him be a character just takes something away from how wrong and funny it is. Also imagining what the hell kind of world Miranda comes from is funnier than actually seeing it. And finally, the decision to give her an eye rolling "normal" sister just didn't really work for me

It felt like they were trying to channel Napolean Dynamite and shoehorn an already existing character into a world that didn't really work. I might check out other episodes but I think she works better in small doses in her bizarro YouTube videos

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Just started to watch The Expanse.

When I originally heard about the creation of the series ages ago, I decided to read the books it's based on - The Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (pen name of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck)

I only got into a few chapters and never got round to finish it. There's a series of books for anyone interested in reading them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

What are some of the best documentaries on NF?

I watched 13th last night and have the highly rated one about the cult (the name escapes me currently) in the to view column. I'm not particularly interested in the Amanda Know one and have seen Making a Murderer.

Seen all the Attenborough and Theroux ones too.

Tony Robbins: I Am Not Your Guru

A Family Affair

Froning: The Fittest Man In History

Interview With A Serial Killer

The Kill Team

Project Nim

Children Of God

Welcome To Leith

KidPoker

Team Foxcatcher

The Resurrection Of Jake The Snake

Respectable: The Mary Millington Story

Tricked

The Confessions Of Thomas Quick

Tyke: Elephant Outlaw

Death Row Dogs

For Grace

Cocaine Cowboys Reloaded

Kids For Cash

Gangsters: Faces Of The Underworld (2 Series)

We Steal Secrets: The Story Of WikiLeaks

The Central Park Five

Somm

The House I live In

War Don Don

Hot Girls Wanted

Dawg Fight

Hank: Five Years From The Brink

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room

Super High Me

You've Been Trumped

The Queen Versailles

Blackfish

West Of Memphis

Farmageddon

Shenandoah

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead

Chasing Madoff

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Dreams Of A Life

Catfish

The Bridge

Super Size Me

These are some of the documentaries I've watched on Netflix, not sure if they're all still available but you should find some/most of them interesting viewing.

Hrududu wrote: »
    I love Miranda Sings on YouTube but didn't get past episode 1 of Haters Back Off. Her random comments about her unseen uncle are hilarious as you try and fill in the blanks yourself. But having him be a character just takes something away from how wrong and funny it is. Also imagining what the hell kind of world Miranda comes from is funnier than actually seeing it. And finally, the decision to give her an eye rolling "normal" sister just didn't really work for me

It felt like they were trying to channel Napolean Dynamite and shoehorn an already existing character into a world that didn't really work. I might check out other episodes but I think she works better in small doses in her bizarro YouTube videos

Yeah, see I kind of liked the sister and even her mother and though those were interesting angles to explore but they did seem very out of place with how completely bizarre Miranda herself is. The mother comes across as having various issues of her own and the way Miranda treats her comes across as almost abusive, which is a prime example of the weird tonal balance it has, or doesn't have. Everyone needs to go "full retard" for someone as out there as Miranda to work.

It actually got kind of dark towards the end with one or two story lines but again those bits felt kind of out of place with the fame stuff. I thought it was going to be revealed that Miranda was autistic or something and that's why everyone put up with her but it seems she's just a nutter.

There's one episode where Uncle Jim has a weird rivalry with Maureen the Matress Queen and that was maybe the only time it felt like the rest of the world was on the same page as Miranda was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,310 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Watched Ides of March with Ryan Gosling, Clooney and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Nice little political triller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Watched Bobby Fischer Against the World last night. Fascinating documentary about the chess player and his infamous chess match against the Russian Boris Spassky for the World Chess Championship 1972 and the media interest it generated. If ever a person wasn't suited to fame, it was Fischer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

noodler wrote: »
    Watched Ides of March with Ryan Gosling, Clooney and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Nice little political triller.

Written by Beau Willimon, the creator of House of Cards US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched Bobby Fischer Against the World last night. Fascinating documentary about the chess player and his infamous chess match against the Russian Boris Spassky for the World Chess Championship 1972 and the media interest it generated. If ever a person wasn't suited to fame, it was Fischer.

That's a cracking documentary, really enjoyed it and would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Watched the first episode of 'The Crown' last night, not usually my thing but found it surprisingly engaging.

Watched the first episode of 'The Crown' last night, not usually my thing but found it surprisingly engaging.

Wouldn't be what I'd go for - sympathising with the plight of the rich a la Downtown Abbey is not my thing at all - but the missus was watching it while I was reading and I ended up getting sucked into a couple of episodes. Very well done with a fantastic cast and I think it was written by the guy that wrote the Queen so the script is very sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

The two "stars" were on Graham Norton show on Friday night, if there ever was a parody of akward boring British gentlefolk to sell to Americans then these two have the look and actions nailed.....I actually thought they were a real life version of a Family guy sketch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Finally getting around to watching Freaks and Geeks. Great stuff.

Took me a few minutes to recognise Gilfoyle from Silicon Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Synode wrote: »
    Finally getting around to watching Freaks and Geeks. Great stuff.

Martin Starr. He's also great in Party Down, Adventureland and lots of other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

mikhail wrote: »
    Martin Starr. He's also great in Party Down, Adventureland and lots of other stuff.

and knocked up and superbad without glasses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Synode wrote:

Ben Foster as well, absolutely shocked when I realised that was him as the kid with special needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Synode wrote:

Ben Foster as well, absolutely shocked when I realised that was him as the kid with special needs.

FunLover18 wrote: »

Jesus, never would have twigged that!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Just finished Freaks and Geeks too the other day. There's a good few future famous people in it. Obviously most of the main cast, but Ben Foster, Ben Stiller, Rashida Jones, Lizzy Caplan, Jason Schwartzman, Shia LeBeouf all pop up

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Another phishing scam to keep a heads up about.

211953_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.PNG

http://www.newstalk.com/Irish-Netflix-users-are-being-warned-to-watch-out-for-this-scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Watched The Expanse. Hadn't heard of it before. Thought it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Good god that new UI on PC is terrible, even if it otherwise worked alright there's a transparent main title screen stuck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

watched True Memoirs of an International Assassin last night didn't really find it great felt dragged out.

i watched the do-over the night before some good laughs in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Watched Gone Girl - jaysus it was messed up. not what I expected at all.

• Advertisement

Yea I mentioned to a friend recently that it was Ben Foster and they couldn't believe it.

He's such a great and underused actor! He was also excellent in the recent Hell or High Water.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement