Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Separate threads for film & TV
    The list in November for Ireland seems pretty decent, much better than our American conterparts which again is piss-poor.

Am I missing somethnig here the list for November for Netflix Ireland is shockingly poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Scratch that… just seen it above. D'oh…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 New Ice Age

^I agree with the above. Bar perhaps Jessica Jones, not much of interest in that list...at first glance anyway.

There should be at least a few of titles that would catch your eye.

I take it there are similar lists for the Canada and US? I mainly watch those anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,373 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Where would I be able to see the list for November?

Various place get them

http://vodzilla.co/blog/coming-soon-to-netflix/top-24-new-releases-coming-soon-to-netflix-uk-in-november-2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Ireland's November list is shocking tbh http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/whats-new-on-netflix-shows-movies/

That deal they lost with Epix is starting to show.

Thats the new releases for America. Nebraska, Home Alone 1 and 2, French connection , Lords of Dogtown and Love is Strange are pretty decent movies along with Jessica Jones and W/ Bob & David, not an amazing selection but I'm happy enough with.

http://vodzilla.co/blog/coming-soon-to-netflix/top-24-new-releases-coming-soon-to-netflix-uk-in-november-2015/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Thats the new releases for America. Nebraska, Home Alone 1 and 2, French connection , Lords of Dogtown and Love is Strange are pretty decent movies along with Jessica Jones and W/ Bob & David, not an amazing selection but I'm happy enough with.

Mr Show with Bob and David was really good so I'm looking forward to this.

One of my favourtie sketches from Mr. Show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Halloween (1978) is showing in Italy. It's the version with digital colour grading so everyone looks to have an orange face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ageyev wrote: »
    Halloween (1978) is showing in Italy. It's the version with digital colour grading so everyone looks to have an orange face.

I love the halloween films, michael myers, I wish they were on Irish netflix.

This is the first time maybe ever I've noticed the original on any region. Shame Netflix didnt get it for all regions but there's a complex web of distribution rights to the Halloween films across the world.

This is the first time maybe ever I've noticed the original on any region. Shame Netflix didnt get it for all regions but there's a complex web of distribution rights to the Halloween films across the world.

ya the theme tune is also brilliant in it I think.

• Advertisement

Halloween H20: 20Years Laters was on Netflix until recent afaik. One of the better sequels from what I can remember. There's still a few decent horrors on the Ireland Flix, check past few pages for recommendations

Halloween H20: 20Years Laters was on Netflix until recent afaik. One of the better sequels from what I can remember. There's still a few decent horrors on the Ireland Flix, check past few pages for recommendations

Ya that was a pretty good sequel.
    I dont actually like horror films at all but I dont mind the halloween films, I've actually found somewhere else I can watch them online. :):) Thanks anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

I would urge everyone to spend 30 minutes of your lives being totally engrossed and slightly confused by the bat-**** craziness of Kung Fury

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Resurrection is the only one left on the Irish Netflix starring Busta Rhymes and Tara Banks. It's a terrible film. The U.S. Netflix has The Curse on there which is one of my favourites starring a young Paul Rudd.

scouttio wrote: »
    I would urge everyone to spend 30 minutes of your lives being totally engrossed and slightly confused by the bat-**** craziness of Kung Fury

I'm speechless after watching this, utterly speechless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 New Ice Age

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Resurrection is the only one left on the Irish Netflix starring Busta Rhymes and Tara Banks. It's a terrible film. The U.S. Netflix has The Curse on there which is one of my favourites starring a young Paul Rudd.

Not bad, but Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (never saw it on any region?) is the by far the best sequel in the series I think followed by H20.

I'm still baffled by Halloween 3: Season of the Witch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Not bad, but Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (never saw it on any region?) is the by far the best sequel in the series I think followed by H20.

I'm rather fond of The Return too - it's much better at executing its concept than whichever Friday the 13th sequel it was that used a similar idea (but then again, the Friday 13th films have seemingly always had some desperately bad dialogue).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

It's on tonight on the Horror Channel at 10:55 if you want to check it out again. I've never saw it and don't think I'll ever bother with it. I've decided on watching the directors cut of The Curse tonight. Anyone know why Danielle Harris never came back to reprise her role as Jamie in The Curse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

That's amazing, hopefully we get a sequel!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

That's amazing, hopefully we get a sequel!

Per Wikipedia:
    Sandberg is currently working with producers Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg on a full-length feature film version of Kung Fury. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, he stated that the project would be a "clean slate", containing no footage from the short film but taking place in the same universe

Interview was done June, 2015.

• Advertisement

Kingsman: The Secret Service added to Netflix Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Buttros

What have I just watched....that was awesome. Might have to watch it again to make sure I didn't just imagine half of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Great action scenes in this I thought

Fysh wrote: »
    I watched Circle last night and really enjoyed it. Like The Exam or Cube, it's a claustrophobic and tense film that puts a group of people in a horrendous situation and watches events unfold. 50 people wake up in a circular room, with no idea how they got there and a machine in the centre of the foom which will fire instantly-deadly rays at them if they attempt to touch another person or move from their designated spot - but also on a timed basis, every two minutes. When the group realises they can control who is targeted by the machine, tensions arise over the question of who should die next (and why) and who the group should try to save, if saving anyone is even possible.

It's very much a talking heads film, but an excellently executed one. In particular the number of people on screen is high enough to allow for unexpected shocks and developments without being so high as to be confusing.

I watched this last night. It's ok, has similar problems as Cube in terms of the how and the why but I thought the ending shot looked cheap and a bit cheesy in the way they sorted of tried to answer the how and why question. It's kinda like a life or death version The Weakest Link! A fine watch at only about 75mins but a bit disappointing, nothing blow away must see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I saw Circle as well.
    Though it was quite tense, and it could have been a great study on human nature and character, but obviously things were moving too fast to get much depth.
    A good film nevertheless.

I saw Exit Through The Gift Shop last night, it's the documentary that Banksy directed and presents the street art movement. Thought it was quite interesting, as I have developed a general interest in street art and murals the last couple of years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Re watched this last night. Great film. You have to search for it as it doesn't seem to be anywhere on Netflix's front page.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    It's on tonight on the Horror Channel at 10:55 if you want to check it out again. I've never saw it and don't think I'll ever bother with it. I've decided on watching the directors cut of The Curse tonight. Anyone know why Danielle Harris never came back to reprise her role as Jamie in The Curse ?

This is wildly off topic but I wanted to post the answer. Iirc she answered it on the 25 Years of Terror DVD I think on a panel Q&A. The answr online is that she was too young to work adult hours, the producers only wanted to pay her scale/minimum wage ans she found their whole approach and the script yo be lacking

http://www.ign.com/articles/2007/10/29/halloween-movie-memories-danielle-harris?page=2

Horror film franchises are notorious for using unknown actors and then if the film is a hit the producers only offer the minimum pay for the subsequent sequels (see Gunnar Hansen's comments on Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2)

I really enjoyed Circle thanks to the OP for recommending it and also loved Kung Fury for the complete 30 minutes of sheer madness.

Cinderella (2015) added to Netflix Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cinderella (2015) added to Netflix Canada.

Saw that in the cinema and really really enjoyed it. It's just so genuine and old fashioned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement