Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

For any ST:TNG fans there is a new documentary about the apparant huge problems on the first two seasons of the show. Its called "Chaos On The Bridge", its on UK Flix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Separate threads for film & TV
    For any ST:TNG fans there is a new documentary about the apparant huge problems on the first two seasons of the show. Its called "Chaos On The Bridge", its on UK Flix.

It's on Ireland too. Is it any use? Only has 1.5 star rating

Synode wrote: »

Netflix rating system is based on what they think you will rate something based on previous ratings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Netflix rating system is based on what they think you will rate something based on previous ratings

You joking? That sounds absurd

Synode wrote: »
    You joking? That sounds absurd

In theory it's actually quite a good idea and is there to give you an idea of whether or not you'll like a particular film. It takes into consideration the genres you rated, your streaming history, available titles and the ratings of other members with taste similar to yours. It's flawed but I find it far better than were they simply to use imdb ratings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

In theory it's actually quite a good idea and is there to give you an idea of whether or not you'll like a particular film. It takes into consideration the genres you rated, your streaming history, available titles and the ratings of other members with taste similar to yours. It's flawed but I find it far better than were they simply to use imdb ratings.

I assume the more you watch and rate the more accurate it would be. They have a similar system on Goodreads and at first their recommendations were ridiculously random but the more I've read and rated the more accurate the recommendations get.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,912 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Kingsman is on Netflix Canada. Watched it on Saturday and thought it was quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Apologies if this has already been answered, but where do you guys get the news of all the various stuff thats newly added to the various netflix regions?
    I find https://flixsearch.io is great if you know what you're looking for, but is there a better source?
    Thanks

Moreflicks.com

Prince of Pennsylvannia, a documentary about the behind the scenes story that Foxcatcher is based upon

I didn't know it worked like that. Seems bizarre. I rarely rate things though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ageyev wrote: »

How else could it possibly know what you may or may not like? Not everybody agrees with IMDB or the likes. My GF has a profile on my Netflix and the movies are completely different, thankfully. I think it's great once it's done right. If you don't rate anything, or very little, then it's not going to work at all.

• Advertisement

Synode wrote:

Just finished it, pretty good all the major, still living, players are interviewed, well made, I ignore Netflix ratings.

How else could it possibly know what you may or may not like? Not everybody agrees with IMDB or the likes. My GF has a profile on my Netflix and the movies are completely different, thankfully. I think it's great once it's done right. If you don't rate anything, or very little, then it's not going to work at all.

An automated rating systems just seems weird to me. Mind you, I'm in the camp that would prefer to browse titles A-Z, by category, search (from an external reference) or threads like this with recommendations

The Wolfpack docu on Flix US now, haven't seen it yet but it got excellent reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The Wolfpack docu on Flix US now, haven't seen it yet but it got excellent reviews.
    It's very good. Saw it at the Lighthouse and didn't regret the trip to town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ageyev wrote: »

I thought it was based on the collective rating of all others who rated it.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I thought it was based on the collective rating of all others who rated it.

That would be as random and useless as people seem to think the actual system is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It’s a pretty ingenious rating system actually and a good way of disguising the limitations of their catalogue, which has limited potential to grow but still has to offer a little bit of everything. Whether it works is another matter and probably fairly irrelevant to Netflix at the moment given their lack of competition in most markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Scorpion Season 1 is on UK and Ireland
    Ray Donovan Season 3 is on Italy

It’s a pretty ingenious rating system actually and a good way of disguising the limitations of their catalogue, which has limited potential to grow but still has to offer a little bit of everything. Whether it works is another matter and probably fairly irrelevant to Netflix at the moment given their lack of competition in most markets.

They certainly have no competition in Ireland; probably only a Sky subscription maybe?. Elsewhere there is Amazon and Hulu. There's MUBI but that's hardly a competing library.

Is there any reading or reporting on Netflix's rating algorithm ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I find it quite useful - early on I made a point of spending a while rating films I had already seen which I thought were good, very good or bloody awful. In some areas it's still obviously using a "people with similar tastes also liked" type mechanism so eg for sci-fi I've found it easier to get their predicted ratings reasonably well matched to my tastes, whereas for horror it's more hit and miss.

I like it though, I've had several evenings where I've taken a punt on something based on nothing but the predicted rating and been pleasantly surprised. When combined with threads like this it becomes a very useful way to find new, lower profile films or series to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

This is a bit niche, but does anyone know if there's a list of, say, the IMDb Top 250, showing which of the films are not Netflix, and in which territories?

Or even a different list, such as the highest rated on Rotten Tomatoes or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

This is a bit niche, but does anyone know if there's a list of, say, the IMDb Top 250, showing which of the films are not Netflix, and in which territories?

Or even a different list, such as the highest rated on Rotten Tomatoes or something.
    http://playmo.tv/2015/07/imdb-top-250-movies-available-on-netflix/

Accurate-ish as of September this year but dare say a lot has changed in the couple of months.

River is up on pretty much every region bar UK/Ireland.

It just finished on BBC this week. Written by Abi Morgan it focuses on Stellan Skarskard's character, John River, a police detective in London who is "haunted by the dead."
    I wasn't sure what to expect when I started watching this, I kind of thought he was going to literally be haunted by the dead but it turns out it's a very well crafted look at mental health, loneliness, grief, love, loss and lots of other things all wrapped up as a police drama series.

It's definitely the best thing the BBC have done since Happy Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Excellent, haven't seen last 2 episodes of River, nice easy way to catch up. What I've seen so far is brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Master Of None is worth a look.

As mentioned its not your typical comedy. I think I may have been expecting too much of it as I think Aziz is a very clever and funny man. That said, Im already looking forward to season two if there is one and "Mornings" is one of the best episodes of anything Ive seen from a Netflix Original.

http://playmo.tv/2015/07/imdb-top-250-movies-available-on-netflix/

Accurate-ish as of September this year but dare say a lot has changed in the couple of months.

A handy list, thanks. Its insane how high Inception is on it at number 14.

One that is coming up as not on there but has been added since is Intersteller. It was added recently on Netflix Canada as far as I remember.
    River is up on pretty much every region bar UK/Ireland.

Hearing great things about this.

Will Jessica Jones be added at midnight does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will Jessica Jones be added at midnight does anyone know?

New shows are usually added at 5am or 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Master Of None is worth a look.

As mentioned its not your typical comedy. I think I may have been expecting too much of it as I think Aziz is a very clever and funny man. That said, Im already looking forward to season two if there is one and "Mornings" is one of the best episodes of anything Ive seen from a Netflix

Pleasantly surprised with Master of None too. Loved Ansari in Parks and Rec but not a huge fan of his stand up work. Surprised at how deep it is for a comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Was Parks and Recreation ever on the Irish/Uk Netflix?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was Parks and Recreation ever on the Irish/Uk Netflix?

No only the US I think, and possibly Canada.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement